BROWN RICE GUINEA PIG #2

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
margo
Master Member

Re: BROWN RICE GUINEA PIG #2

Post by margo »

Mimi...that's just wonderful....

Perhaps i need to reduce the number of times i eat the rice each week because i've been eating it every day, mostly twice a day and i had to put on my bigger pants this morning and they are tight around the waist.  I'm really afraid of what i'm going to see when i step on the scale early next month.

God bless
margo
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hi RT...everyone....every day it's pretty much the same...

i have a diet pepsi in the morning for the "kick"

i have a banana or some LDL icecream which is made the way i describe -- without anything but pure fruit...sometimes i'll have a couple of really juicy sweet mangos...sometimes i'll have a whole bunch of sweet cherries or grapes...whatever...but i almost always have fruit in the morning....that's usually around 7am or so...

Then around 9 - 10 i'm feeling soooo hungry.  i usually have a bowl of dal which i make by cooking them in the pressure cooker with a chicken boullion cube and lots of garlic.  When they're almost tender i stir them a lot and add another big bunch of garlic and onions -- toasted this time with cumin seeds.  When that's done i add fresh cilantro and parsley chopped up fine...it's delicious and i sometimes have it with left over popcorn from the night before.  i am not putting much olive oil on the popcorn any more.  i use sea salt and i do use some pam butter spray (they don't sell BYCBINB in the stores near me for some strange reason -- i can find the tub version, but not the spray).

Then around 12 - 1 i'm ready for lunch and i have my rice and i don't cook it with any oil at all.  i usually have a great big salad with it, some kind of beans, some kind of protein.

Around 5 - 6 i'm hungry again and usually have more rice and whatever left over beans and veggies i have.

Later i have GIGANTIC bowl of pop corn and LDL ice cream.

Sometimes i'll have the wasa with no fat cheddar cheese on top.

That's it!

Today for instance i had:

LDL ice cream
one huge mango
1/2 orange (The General glommed the other half!)
left over salad from the night before
garbanzos
black/brown rice
lamb - from the leg -- and not much at all
lettuce, cucumber, red onion, green and red bell pepper salad
beet and green pea salad with vinegar and olive oil (not much oil)

in a while i'll have pop corn and maybe another mango
water, water, diet pepsi water

whaddaya think?
Hellllp meeeeeeeeeee...
my pants felt tight all day....i even had a thought to give up and just eat whatever i want.  i feel very tired of the struggle...

God bless
margo
robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

Not Roger Margo, but have you been using Cumin Seed all along?? Remember we're not suppose to have ANY seeds. They're not as good for us as we've always been led to believe. Other than that, it looks good. Maybe things are just shifting around in where the weight is distributed? I thought I was gaining cuz my pants felt tight. My scale never moved. Just the places the weight was distributed seems to have changed (several times I might add!!)
Good Luck sweet one!
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

itsmimi wrote:Bless your heart Enjae, good thing you're young.

HaHaHa!! I can tell you right now my 47-year-old-bones feel about 94 yo! lol
Today was my last 12 hour day. By Saturday I ought to have caught up on my rest and feel more like my size 18 self! I still have to work tomorrow but just from 7:15am- 5:15pm; I'm back to my normal schedule.
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hi RT...RVeronica...everyone...

First, please let me report this morning that my bloated feeling seems to be gone. I'm still in my night clothes so i'm not sure how my jeans and pants are going to feel.  My engagement ring feels better on the correct finger this morning -- that's good. I fell asleep before i could have my nightly pop corn -- maybe that has something to do with it.  Perhaps the salt on the popcorn was causing me to retain water??   I'll put less salt on the popcorn today.  I did climb on the scale this morning just to get an idea of where i am and to make sure i wasn't above 200, 'cause i felt soooo BIG yesterday....my weight?  194!!  Same weight...so i have not gained any weight and i'm into the BRown Rice test about 6 weeks.  (If only i can lose one little pound like Mimi...i would be so happy).

I'm prepared to give up the cumin seeds.  I've eaten them all along on LDL because i didn't connect them to the "no seed" regulation -- duh!  Will stop them though for better chance of weight loss.

Will stay away from leg meats....

i figure i need to lose another 20 pounds.  After that, i can see what i need to lose more, if anything.  I would be pleased to lose that 20 pounds over a year if i can simply continue eating my rice.  i can't imagine life without it now.

I have not tried the sticky rice yet, RT...it's still in the fridge.  But i've come up with another BRown Rice recipe that i'll try over the weekend, Lord willing, and post on the boards if it comes out well.  It's LDL SUSHI CALIFORNIA ROLLS!  i have to go get the bamboo mat and nori today.  i adore California rolls and i'm going to use the black/brown rice!  I'll use simply cucumber, carrot and avocado...i'll see what else i can put in there...i can't wait.

THanks you guys for helping to lift this one up!  I can't tell you what a warm fuzzy feeling i get just knowing that you all are there for me when i am feeling really cruddy -- like yesterday!

Love and hugs to all...
God bless!
margo
Last edited by margo on July 18th, 2008, 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Ohhh...RT, dal (or dahl) is a type of split lentil...it cooks up smoother and creamier than "regular" lentils we use....these i find in the indian/pakistani store.  It's soooo delish!

THis is what dal looks like uncooked:

http://www.masalaathome.com/sitebuilder ... 80h135.jpg

This is how it looks all cooked up - just imagine it without all the naughty NONLDL seeds on top -- but with fresh chopped cilantro and flat leaf italian parsley instead!

http://maninas.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/img-8546.jpg

God bless!
margo
Last edited by margo on July 18th, 2008, 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
DEBBIEWEBE

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

It's LDL SUSHI CALIFORNIA ROLLS!  i have to go get the bamboo mat and nori today.  i adore California rolls and i'm going to use the black/brown rice!  I'll use simply cucumber, carrot and avocado...i'll see what else i can put in there...i can't wait.

OH MY......what a great idea Margo.....I look forward to your california roll recipes!!!
It was I that suggested the General might have IBS, I am so glad he got some relief and what a load off your mind in such a short time. 

I wont bore ya'll with the details but I am back to eating a well balanced, appropriate portioned meals with no cravings.  Praise God!!!  I agree with Margo....at 169 lbs if I never lose another pound but feel healthy and have energy its okay with me, I not gonna stress over it.  I dont have to be a size 2 to feel successful. I at least know now what not to eat to never regain the already lost weight.

I intend to use brown rice only a couple of times a week, more occassionally, until I actually hear one of us women is losing weight eating it. 
Love and God Bless
Debbie
Last edited by DEBBIEWEBE on July 18th, 2008, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Roger Troy Wilson wrote:Further, I would stay away from any "leg meats"...go with extra-lean meats.

God bless,

RT

I've heard wings are a problem too. Way too much fat in those puppies.

Joe
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hi Debbie...

i think that's the way to do the brown rice, but i'm on the test and to be honest with you, i feel i want it every day.  Today just had lunch of brown rice/black beans, corn on the cob, salad.  That's all.  I didn't feel like animal protein today and there's only enough left over lamb for my hubby.  So since i don't feel like cooking meat today, it will be a meatless day for me.  If i just have to have some protein later, i'll make an egg white omelet or something like that...

i'm glad you're doing well....

Debbie...actually Mimi reported a loss of one pound eating rice several times a week.

God bless
margo
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Yeah Joe...i know, but thanks for reminding me and reminding others on the boards.

i only eat turkey wings and that's once in a while.  THe price is right and i am able to get almost all the fatty skin off before cooking them.  I throw away the tips and then put them in the pressure cooker.  I throw off  any fat that accumulates during cooking and add a bit of water.  i do that a couple of times.  I'm sure there's some fat in there, but i actually think it's less fattening than the LDL burger meat....And i end up eating only the non drumstick part of the wing.  The General gets the drumstick part.  I just can't get over the fact that it feeds us protein for about 50-75 cents each.  (i love that part!)

(i have been eating turkey wings from the beginning and was losing weight...albeit slowly to start).

God bless!
margo
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

margo wrote: I would be pleased to lose that 20 pounds over a year if i can simply continue eating my rice.  i can't imagine life without it now.

margo, when you say you can't imagine life without rice, i don't know about anyone else, but that gives ME the head's up that you have a food craving in progress................when i was on let's do lunch STRICTLY but was eating dates and GAINED weight, i DIDN'T want to give up dates.....i rationalized that we're SUPPOSED to become addicted to FRUIT...............no go..............i gave them up..............
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Well, Niki...that's why i was asking (i think it was Debbie) one day in a post whether she thought she was having a craving for rice.  LEt's put it this way, i'm not craving bread or pasta or white rice or potatos or even cheese its or anything wheat...but the thought of not being able to have all the rice i want every day makes me tremble.  I am praying like crazy that i will lose a pound...even a pound a month would be fine for me and i could make it through life easily if i can have the rice whenever i want.  The thought of restricting myself to a certain number of days a week to have rice is not making me happy happy joy joy. (i am bucking that idea like crazy).  It will either be rice whenever i want it, or no rice at all.  But i have a sneaking suspicion that what i'm feeling -- the love and need and desire for rice and rice each and every day, is a type of craving -- maybe not the same type of craving we are so familiar with -- but perhaps it's a craving none the less.  i don't know.  i'm not sure.  But i'm really hoping that i'll have weight loss to report. 

As it stands now, we only have one LDLer who is in the process of losing weight (not a person who is maintaining) who reports having lost one pound.  We don't know over what length of time that was.  I'm hoping for more substantial results - like the loss of  a pound each month over time -- like 4 months or more.  I would like to see more than one person report a weight loss of more than a pound, you know?

Anyway, onward with the guinea pig test.  i made lentils and black beans today and did not use cumin as i used over the last year when i was losing.  They tasted just fine.  So we'll see!

Thanks and God bless!
margo
Last edited by margo on July 18th, 2008, 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

margo wrote: i made lentils and black beans today and did not use cumin as i used over the last year when i was losing. 

i use cumin all the time, WHENEVER i make soup.....the whole time i was losing i used cumin in my soups.......a lot of spices are in reality seeds....but, the amounts are SO small in a portion that i REALLY don't think it's a problem...i really wouldn't worry about it.............n
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hi Niki...

i also don't think that it's the cumin that's causing me not to lose weight....but since i'm doing a test, and RT says i should stop the cumin...then i'll stop the cumin, because i want whatever result there is in another two weeks or so to be a result we all can have confidence in -- and that there won't be any reason not to accept the results as bona fide.

by the way, Niki...you know that the figs are loaded with tiny seeds inside so i do understand why they stop weight loss and can actually cause weight gain -- also, bananas have tiny seeds in them too and i'm wondering i should cut out banana just to be on the safe side.  I'd rather have no bananas if i can lose weight eating rice...

Have a good weekend all! 

God bless!
margo
graceface66
Master Member

Post by graceface66 »

NO  BANANAS!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Uggg.....they are a major food group to me!!!!!! ;D

Without bananas and tea I would starve lol.

have a good day
                                kris
If thou shalt confess with your mouth the L-rd Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that G-d hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Roman's 10:9-10
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

i know Kris...i adore bananas too!  I always put some banana in my LDL icecream to give it that creamy texture...but now that i think about it....why would the seeds in figs and cumin bother us and not the seeds in bananas?  strange, huh?

Hope you're enjoying the weekend.

God bless!
margo
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Hi Margo,

I've been following your thread for some time now.  I have hesitated to post because I'm not on plan right now, but I decided to go ahead just in case it might help you.

When I was strictly on LDL I ate wild rice.  I bought the CANOE brand in the little plastic bottle.  I had it at least twice a week and sometimes more.  I didn't notice it hindering my weight loss at all.  I lost 85 lbs. in a year. 

One thing that I DID notice you talking about was the Gigantic bowl of popcorn and the salt you put on it.  Salt definately slowed my weight loss.  I had much improved results when I cut back on the salt.  I used the ICINB spray on my popcorn.  To me, it's got a fairly salty taste, so I was able to ween myself off of the salt with that.  Maybe the salt is making you retain water?

I'm like niki.....when I hear you say that you can't stand the thought of not being able to eat as much rice as you want....it sounds like a red flag to me.  One thing that I have found amazing on this plan is that some foods trigger cravings in people that don't trigger cravings in other people.

I can give you two examples here.  Roger, has in the past and I assume still does sometimes, eat Cool Whip light on his desserts.  I can't get anywhere NEAR cool whip of any kind.  Every single time I eat that stuff I'm off to the races.  When I used to be a binger, I would literally sit and eat the stuff with a spoon while it was still frozen!  It was like a cool whip popsicle and I couldn't get enough of it!  The second example is that Roger can't eat the soynut butter because it makes him crave and want more and more.  He shared once that he would sit down and not stop till the jar was gone.  I have eaten the soynut butter.  It's okay and I have used it in the past when I was craving peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  ( I mixed it with the polaner all fruit and had it on corn thins.)  But it didn't give me cravings at all and most of the time I would end up tossing over half the jar out because I didn't eat it before it spoiled. 

Now, I just told you all of this on the outside chance that maybe this rice is making you crave?  I'm not you and I don't know exactly what you are experiencing.  Nobody can really tell you yes or no on a food.  But you....and your body.....you know.  You know what you are feeling and if it's really a food craving or just that you like it alot.  I would do as Roger asked and email him every single thing you are eating each day for awhile.  Including any spices and oils you are using.  Some oils are also made with seeds and things that can make us crave and gain. 

((((((((Hugs))))))))  I wish you nothing but success with this hon.  Thank you for all your input and sharing on this issue.  I'm sure that you will find your right answer soon.  :)

(In Faith)  Little Princess
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.