BROWN RICE GUINEA PIG #2

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
margo
Master Member

Re: BROWN RICE GUINEA PIG #2

Post by margo »

ooohhhhhh....i get it, RT...the complex carbs won't satisfy the cheese craving!  Well, now, that makes me feel much better and i will attack that cheese craving exactly as you suggest!
Thanks for ocntinuing to try to get through this thick head!! 

(by George, i think she's got it!!)

God bless and have  a wondeful day...

Today is mom's birthday and i'm cooking a complete LDL menu.  We're having turkey wings (no tips, all skin off and most fat removed, cooked in pressure cooker with no oil and no water until they get all carmelized and tender and yummy....lots of garlic in the pot and plenty of oregano too!  It makes a scrumptious gravy for my dad who MUST have gravy on his rice).  Along with that we'll have brown rice, a sliced beet, green pea and red onion salad dressed with vinegar and olive oil, etc.  We will also have cole slaw made with walden farms and a titch of reduced calorie mayo and maybe some asparagus too.

For desert we'll have LDL icecream, tutti fruti flavor (mango, grape, peace, banana, orange) with big chunks of the ripest and most delicious cherries swirled through it.  I made two half gallons of it (i wanted to give a half gallon to the young neighbors who live across the street who always are looking out for my folks -- but my sweet hubby really put a dent in it late last night while yours truly was sleeping  :o)

My mom has been hounding me to show her how to make the ice cream because she's been saving frozen fruit for over a month....and i've been trying to avoid talking about it because i'm going to give her my cute little blender that i don't use anymore since i got the vitamix.  It'll be perfect for her especially since i was given an order not to buy any presents!
I hope everyone will enjoy. 

God bless!
margo
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

"tutti fruti flavor (mango, grape, peace, banana, orange)" [teehee]
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Freudian slip i guess...i was feeling rather peaceful today!  Not a bad thing... :D

Dinner was great....everyone enjoyed it and mom loves her little blender.  I supervised her first batch of LDL icecream...she used blue berries, cantelope and banana and a half of a fresh orange for liquid.  Turned out well...and after she tasted it she exclaimed:  "goodbye Breyers!"

The wings were too delicious...the rice was perfect and the salads were scrumptious...(even if i do say so myself!).

Have a good night all!

God bless.
margo
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

margo wrote: Turned out well...and after she tasted it she exclaimed:  "goodbye Breyers!"

Reminds me of something I noticed in a cluster of new food places near the Burbank Airport the other day. One if the shops is a Robecks (Smoothies! All of them can be LDLified). Right next to it, and I do mean RIGHT NEXT TO IT, his neighbor has opened a Dreyers Ice Cream Shop...............I'm not tempted but it's like opening a "Gentlemen's Club" next to a Bible Store..............I just need to make sure I open the right door!
Joe
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Joe...you are so funny!

Joe...were you in "lovely downtown Burbank"?  I remember Johnny Carson...boy he used to really make me laugh...but not as much as that guy...i forget his name..he had such a dry sense of humor it almost made me gag....he had a comedy show with a wife named something like Suzanne Plachette (phoenetically, i think)...she had short black hair, was adorable but had a deep voice for a woman.  Oh that guy, just to think of his face makes me crack up. ...something like whenever i see the drawing that Joe's son did for him.  Every single time i see that thing, i smile...it looks sooooooo silly....(and i'm silly's number one fan!)

God bless.
margo
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

margo wrote:Joe...you are so funny!

Joe...were you in "lovely downtown Burbank"?  I remember Johnny Carson...boy he used to really make me laugh...but not as much as that guy...i forget his name..he had such a dry sense of humor it almost made me gag....he had a comedy show with a wife named something like Suzanne Plachette (phoenetically, i think)...she had short black hair, was adorable but had a deep voice for a woman.  Oh that guy, just to think of his face makes me crack up. ...something like whenever i see the drawing that Joe's son did for him.  Every single time i see that thing, i smile...it looks sooooooo silly....(and i'm silly's number one fan!)

God bless.
margo

O.K., that would be BEAUTIFUL downtown Burbank and you are thinking of our national treasure, Bob Newhart. Suzanne Pleshette (you were close) just died recently, lung cancer I believe. They were quite a pair. Come to think about it, he also had another show called "Newhart" and the woman who played his wife, Mary Frann also died a couple of years ago, we also lost Tom Poston from that same show last year.....................boy, I hope Larry, Daryl and Daryl are still around.

Joe
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

joecaracappa wrote: Reminds me of something I noticed in a cluster of new food places near the Burbank Airport the other day. One if the shops is a Robecks (Smoothies! All of them can be LDLified). Right next to it, and I do mean RIGHT NEXT TO IT, his neighbor has opened a Dreyers Ice Cream Shop...............I'm not tempted but it's like opening a "Gentlemen's Club" next to a Bible Store..............I just need to make sure I open the right door!
Joe

I guess you will have to be sure to: READ the sign on the door ~ as well as labels to be sure you are in the right place.

Anxiously waiting for real photos of your before, during and after phases of LDL, Joe.

Jeanne
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Bob Newhart!!  Beautiful Downtown Burbank!

Thanks Joe... (can i hire you to just carry around with me as my back up memory??) :-[
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

Joe,
I love your way with the English language.  "LDLified" is a beautiful word and I hope you won't mind if I borrow it from time to time.  I will give you full credit!  Keep up the good work.
Pat
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

patsyfay wrote:Joe,
I love your way with the English language.  "LDLified" is a beautiful word and I hope you won't mind if I borrow it from time to time.  I will give you full credit!  Keep up the good work.
Pat

O.K., to that we can add "Rogerizing" our food, or add beans to make it Nikilicious or when we create something that was once forbidden it could become a "Mary Miracle"

Joe
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

if ONLY we could ldlicize the world and EVERYWHERE i looked i would see foods that were rogercized...i would eat them and say they were nikilicious and declare them a culinary miracle.....................
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

Wonderful!  Wonderful!  I just love word-merchants. Thanks, Joe and Niki.  We can create our own LDL language.
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Try this!

Now that corn is plentiful, instead of throwing out your corn cooking water, save some and cook your brown rice in it. Gives it a nice flavor. Just remember, if the water is already salted from cooking the corn, you probably don't need to add any (give is a taste) and of course, make SURE you are using rice that is DARK BROWN in color. If the rice you are looking at is inexpensive and cooks in less that 50 minutes, be suspicious. Most of the time you will have to go to a health food store or buy it on-line.

Joe
Last edited by joecaracappa on July 5th, 2008, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hi all...

Just checking in..

I see that on June 16th i noted that i was already one week into the Lundberg rice test.  The 14th of July makes four weeks.  I'll weigh myself then.  I have been eating Lundberg rice each and every day.  This is how i am eating it.  I serve a bowl of beans with my lunch and on top of the beans, i heap four heaping tablespoons of rice.  Then i mix it in and it tastes delicious.  I eat protein too (i notice i'm eating less protein) and major greens, salad, asparagus, whatever. 

i have not weighed myself in weeks and i won't weigh in until i'm ready to report my results on the 14th.

Hope everyone is still enjoying the weekend!
Today seems like Sunday to me for some strange reason.
God bless!
margo

p.s  Joe, i think i like your idea of using the corn water.  Tt could go into a pot of soup or beans too!

Made MAJOR LDL ice cream today...three flavors that i took to my mom (even though she can make her own with the little blender i gave her, my LDL icecream is more like something you'd get in a ice cream shop...and plus, it's nice to think she doesn't have to do anything).  I made pure mango and blended in mango chunks (i call it Mango mango, as opposed to the "mango" which does not have chunks of mango stirred into it.)  I also made cherry cherry and lychee lychee...
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

ooops..another error on my part...

since i noted on the 16th of June that i started eating rice daily one week before, (i.e., June 9th), that would make Monday July 7th -- tomorrow -- 4 weeks or one month.  I will weigh myself in the morning and post the results immediately. 

God bless!
margo
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Good morning everyone.  Here are the results of my month long eating really brown lundberg rice each day test:

i am 194 pounds.  Exactly what i was when i started a month ago. 

From this result we know one really important and positive thing about eating really brown rice...you will not gain weight even if you eat it every single day.  That's wonderful news and i think RT can go ahead and print that in the new book without any reservations.

But, here's the thing.... i don't think that the test was sufficiently scientific (if i were cross examining the results of this test, i would be all over it ripping it to shreads and here's why:
i think weight loss MAY STILL be possible eating this type of brown rice....Here's my reasoning:  When i first started LDL, i did not lose weight immediately....it took a couple of months, as i recall, before i saw the weight begin to come down.  I think that to be completely fair with brown rice and RT's desire to introduce it as something that can be eaten while new LDLers are trying to reduce their weight, two other tests must be conducted:

1.  I should continue to eat brown rice for another month..eating it once a day as i have been doing this past month and see what happens.  It could be that my body is just about ready to drop some weight and that stopping the rice test at this moment may destroy the results of the test if only it continued a bit more.  In other words, if i end the rice test now and my body was ready within the next week or two or three to drop 5 pounds, then we might assume that stopping the test is what caused me to lose weight -- and we might be incorrect.  (i know this may have come out a bit convoluted, if so, please let me know and i'll try to restate it).

2.  If at the end of the second month i am still at the same weight, then we can say for sure that eating this type of rice every day will not cause weight gain and it won't cause weight loss either -- (this is wonderful news to those who are at the point of simply maintaining their weight) -- but it doesn't answer the question of whether eating rice at all -- let's say twice or three time a week -- might allow for weight loss over the course of a month or two.

So, the rice test is not finished yet and it doesn't seem prudent to encourage "new" LDLers to eat rice even a little bit at the beginning if they are looking to reduce, until the rice test is finished. (Of course, it's RT's book and he can print what he likes....but we want people to have the best success possible so they won't lose patience and become further frustrated with weight loss)

So, folks, for the next month i will continue with rice once a day.  (remember please that i am putting brown rice into my beans and eating that along with my lunch -- i haven't prepared stir fried rice or anything like that -- just rice into the bowl of beans and sometimes mixed with the ground LDL burger meat in my shepherd pie)...

If there is any loss at all -- even a half a pound, that will be the news that RT and Little Mary are waiting for to put in the updated book.  If i don't lose weight over the next month, then the test continues and i will eat rice twice or three times a week the following month and see what happens. 

Will report back.

Please let me know what you think about the testing strategy and how i might make it more scientific.

Have a great week everyone!
God bless
margo
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

Margo,
This is a question I have, so I suppose others are wondering the same thing:  just how much brown rice did you mix with your beans each day?  Were you having a couple of Tablespoons, 1/2 cup, a whole cup?  If you cut the amount you were having in half, would the results be the same or would you be successful in losing?  Just wondering.
Pat