Diet Misinformation & the American Public

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
ralong
New, but learning

Diet Misinformation & the American Public

Post by ralong »

I don't understand why the medical/diet community would mislead the American public into thinking that peas, corn and sweet fruits are bad for us and lead to sugar spikes when in fact they seem to bring a lot of runaway appetites under control? For years I've shied away from eating bananas, watermelon, pineapples and peas and corn because I believed they would cause more problems with fat storage and appetite control, when in fact, I do feel my appetite is better controlled when I eat these foods. Are we being deliberately manipulated or are these communities truly in the dark about what really works?

Rebecca
greenheron

Re: Diet Misinformation & the American Public

Post by greenheron »

I think...no, I KNOW, there are TONS of "nutrition experts" who are in the dark ages.  It's like brainwashing, and once you've memorized the food pyramid, you don't have the mental ability to accept proof of other healthy eating  plans. 

What's important is that you can follow your plan and enjoy your food (healthy food, that is).  People love eating Vegan....Macrobiotic.....Caveman....Lactovegitarian....South Beach....Ornish.....Atkins....LDL......if it works for you, then that's what you need to do.  Unfortunately, not everyone discovers their ideal eating plan, and many are frustrated with their choices.

You've probably been led to believe that eating corn, watermelon, bananas and peas is bad because of the rest of the "regular American diet" that most people would eat along with them.  Butter.  Barbecued ribs.  White bread.  Fried chicken.  If you eat refined carbs, you'll produce insulin and turn your excess food to fat.  If you leave out the refined carbs, you can eat more fat.  If you sub the refined carbs for starches like beans, corn and peas, but cut down the fat, you won't be storing fat. 

I responded to an inquiry about LDL on another board, and one member responded that we're only "supposed" to have three servings of fruit a day.  Well, yes, if you're following the federal government's guide and also consuming 8 (eight...ocho.....huit....otto) servings of grains.  Yikes! 

They're in the dark about what works.  All sorts of things work, but not for everyone.  There are dozens of people who have signed up for the LDL board and only posted once.  Why?  Did they try it and not like it?  Did they get tired of beans?  We'll never know.  There are millions of people who will never try LDL because they're happy with South Beach, or Ornish, or Atkins.  But many, many are still searching, and the proof is in how many have joined the board in the last two weeks, since picking up First magazine.  I expect the fruit growers are happy.  (Real Foods ought to send Roger Troy a dividend!)
shemac
New, but learning

Post by shemac »

I guess I'm part of the "medical community"- I'm an RN. I personally don't know any health professionals who would want to share information that is harmful to their patients. Medical advice is based on scientific research, and scientific research often finds what works for the majority of people who were followed. My theory is that each body responds to different foods in its own way, and so what works for one person may not work for another.
Like greenheron said, we must each find what we like and what works for us.
To each his own. :D

Sheila
Last edited by shemac on May 18th, 2009, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mom
Master Member

Post by mom »

I agree with the above poster, I know that for me, banana can cause a blood sugar spike if eaten alone, but if eaten with something that makes it take longer to digest, my blood sugar doesn't spike so high.  So for me doing ldl means watching my blood sugars more closely so I will know what is happening with what I eat.
Mom
cuzican

Post by cuzican »

What a well informed group.  Thanks for posting and I agree with you.

Barb
mojo

Post by mojo »

Hello.  I am a First magazine newbie here too!  What I am most confused about is digestion.  Most diets tell you to always eat a protein along with a carb.  Yet, books and articles about digestion tell you that combining a protein with a carb in the same meal makes it very difficult for your body to digest those foods together.  I tend to believe that not only unhealthy food, but also improper digestion can lead to disease. 

All I want is for my body to work the way it is supposed to work.  There is no question in my mind regarding how eating whole, unprocessed foods is the best way to go.  I just want to understand why most diets, including LDL, continue to stress that it's perfectly fine to slow down the digestive process. 

Right now I gather that slowing down the digestive process makes your body work harder.  When your body has to work harder, you burn more calories.  Okay.  That's great, and I certainly want to feel full and satisfied until my next meal. 

But, what if my body works even better by eating smaller meals more often?  Wouldn't digesting each meal more easily, by eating smaller quantities of easily digestible food combinations more often, still be making my body work throughout the day? 

Which way gives you the most energy? 

Which way is better for your overall health? 

I understand that everybody's body is different.  But, does that apply to how our digestive system works too?  I am serious here.  I really want to know. 
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Hi Mojo!  Welcome.  I posted yesterday that I used to be firm believer that frequent small meals would constantly be stoking the metabolic furnace, readily burning off before the end of the day.  My problem was that frequent small meals turned into frequent LARGE meals, which turned into ONE giant, day long meal. I'm an emotional binge eater and foodaholic. I could not maintain this lifestyle.

I can't tell you the peace of mind that LDL has brought me.  Being able to eat all I want, whenever I want, of all the foods I LOVE = and still lose weight.  It's a miracle.  I am satisfied eating less because I know I'm ALLOWED to eat more.  Cool the way that works, huh?

I'm not an expert by any means, but I can tell you what I believe it the THEORY behind Let's Do Lunch.  The morning fruit burns off quickly and jumpstarts your metabolism.  The large midday meal really doesn't slow down your digestion as much as you might think.  I eat a lot of bean soups, salads & veg (i.e. a lot of liquidy things to dilute the heavy things) along with my reasonable portion of protein and I add beans in some form to almost everything that goes into my mouth.  So the high fiber definitely speeds things along too, yet I stay full and satisfied throughout the evening.  Fruit eaten in the evening also moves through quickly, so there's very little left standing to rot in your digestive tract overnight.

I've lost my first 100 pounds on LDL without ever struggling, starving, or feeling deprived.  I am healthier and have more energy than I've had in years of being super morbidly obese and hopeless.  This is a lifestyle I CAN maintain and I'm SOOO grateful for it.
Last edited by Gwennaford on May 19th, 2009, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

I'm so proud of you, dear Gwennie!!  *love*  :rose:  :rose:  Thank you for your "ministry" on these boards.  You are such a help to everyone of us!!  God bless you.

Pat
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

ladyhawk21

Post by ladyhawk21 »

to Mom

My dad is a diabetic and his blood sugar was 130+  depending on the day.  since he has been on the LDL his weight is down to 175lbs.  (from over 210pd)  his BS has stabilized in the 90's and he no longer has to worry about his BS although he continues to check it in the mornings.    i would eat an apple with your banana or an boiled egg in the mornings.

Renee
sval59

Post by sval59 »

Welcome back Renee!  How was your trip?  You and your family are doing great!
ladyhawk21

Post by ladyhawk21 »

Trip was great.  Dad is down to 175pd and doing good.  Mom and i maintained our weight during the trip.  There were several places that is was nearly impossible to get good food.  But we walked several miles a day.  Hiked in the Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion.  We worked 3 days at Best Friends, now that was some hard work.  I worked in Birds, Pigs, Horses and Dog.  Cleaning, feeding, walking.....

Renee
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Hi Renee - We missed you!  Congrats on maintaining.  Please write a nice long post on your journal about your trip
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
grambonnie5

Post by grambonnie5 »

I think if we eat the way it is outlined in the book - a proven way to lower our unhealthy numbers - we don't have to worry or be swayed by those who are just trying to sell a product or book. There will always be someone telling us that the next cure for health is processed margarine ( or whatever the product might be) and then then next year we find out it is unhealthy. How can fruit or vegetables ever be unhealthy? God made them.
Be pretty if you are; be witty if you can; but be cheerful if it kills you!