Stevia! YUCK!!

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
electricj1316
Master Member

Stevia! YUCK!!

Post by electricj1316 »

I went to the store today and bought some stevia because I thought it was the sweetener that  was supposed to taste more like real sugar. Boy was I wrong!!! I got home and tasted it and it made me gag!! It tasted like saccharin which I hate the taste of!! I think I meant to buy the Truvia. I read where someone posted that one of them was granulated like real sugar and tastes better than the other sweeteners. Well I called my grocery store and told them that it was disgusting but that I has already opened it and they said it was ok, that I could bring in my receipt and they would let me switch it out for the Truvia. I sure am glad because I paid almost $12 for that little bottle!! I know that Truvia is not that expensive because I looked at it. All they had was boxes with the individual packets. Does anyone know if they come any other way? I just didn't know if it was just my grocery store that carries only the packets.

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
electricj1316
Master Member

Re: Stevia! YUCK!!

Post by electricj1316 »

I bought the powder kind and it says Stevia Plus. It says dietary supplement over the weight. I don't know if I got the wrong thing or what. But either way I meant to get the stuff that was the consistency as sugar.

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
deeda

Post by deeda »

Hi Guys,
Stevia is actually an herb, in it's natural form in a little green leaf.  I put one or two leaves in with my tea or my husbands coffee.  I've bought it in powdered form and made lemonade for my Lydia Ladies at church they loved it.  I use 3-5 teaspoons of stevia instead of a couple cups of sugar.

Dee
nho45
New, but learning

Post by nho45 »

Since Splenda seems to be acceptable, I think I'll stick with that.  I've been reluctant to try Truvia.  Anyone care to comment of the comparison of the two?
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

Everyone says that Truvia is supposed to be really good, it is granulated like real sugar and is supposed to taste allot like sugar. To me the Stevia tastes like saccharine and also reminds me of sweet-n-low which I can't stand. It has and awful after taste but that is just my opinion. There are others on here who like it. I like splenda but I would like to have something with the consistency of sugar.

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Maybe I just don't have a fussy palate.  Some people hate Truvia, but I LOVE it.  It has crunchy granules exactly like sugar.  It has the same overall "taste" as sugar, even though sugar doesn't really have a flavor.   Maybe I should say Truvia doesn't have any odd flavor about it like other sweeteners.  It is undistinguisable from sugar in the few foods where I use it. (mainly oatmeal, shredded wheat, & sweet/sour dressings)

The only difference I could tell from dumping a whole envelope in my mouth & crunching it up was that the taste was a little "thin" compared to sugar, like if you watered down your syrup just a tad.

I also enjoy NuStevia.  It comes in a big cannister from the health food store and is pricey - $18-26 a jar, but it is the equivalent of more than 600 little 1-gram packets of sweetener, so it's good value.  It is cut with maltodextrin to make it measurable but I passed it by Roger Troy some time ago and got his official okey-dokey.  You only use half what you would use of other sweeteners.  Food sweetened with it becomes sweeter after it stands.

I also have some Sweet Leaf brand stevia powder packets.  I don't like it as much.  It has a kind of a spoiled-fruity aftertaste that comes through delicately flavored things like tea.  But that's not a bad thing if you use it in a dessert or a vinegary dressing.
Last edited by Gwennaford on May 27th, 2009, 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

I expect that liking Stevia goes along with being a "nontaster" or a "normal taster."  For supertasters, like me, bitter things are more bitter.  I've never been able to stand saccharine.  I don't like beer.  Coffee for me has to have plenty of cream.

Scroll down to the lower portion of this page to read a little about supertasters:   http://healthytastychow.com/tag/stevia/

For most supertasters, flavors are more overwhelming.  Supertaster kids don't like strong cheese or broccoli.  I remember doing that taste strip test as a kid, and I was one that thought it was NASTY!  I think at the time we were studying heredity, and learning the supertaster thing was inherited.  I don't understand anyone who can use Sweet n Low.  ewwww.  But I like Splenda just fine.  Iced tea with lemon and Splenda is lovely.  In certain circumstances, though, the Splenda can give an artificial "zing," too.  When I was doing low carb and would make a cheesecake with DaVinci syrup, the artificial sweetener taste was evident the first day, but after it had mellowed for two or three, the flavor was perfect.  Odd, but it's true.  Lots of companies mix artificial sweeteners because they seem to have some synergy, and are sweeter together than they are alone, and the artificial flavor sometimes disappears with a combination of two.  You'll often see Ace K along with Aspartame or Sucralose for that reason.
Somerville

Post by Somerville »

Hi I'm Eileen and new to this.  I have a question, are we allowed to use splenda instead of stevia
[link=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/we6Elxc/]
[image noborder]url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/we6Elxc/]
[/url]
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/ ... weight.png[/image]
[/link]
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

Hey Eileen! Yes you can use spenda, I just wanted to try the Truvia because it is granulated like regular sugar.

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
isthis4me

Post by isthis4me »

2 things, nuNaturals is the best stevia brand and Ive tried them all and DONT get the flavored stevias :sick: they are wretched.......................but I caved and got truvia yesterday and well I LIKE IT its a bit more of a sugar texture and almost too sweet for me, but its good  :shock: