A Thousand and One Uses For A Worthless Diet Book

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
Gemini the Younger

A Thousand and One Uses For A Worthless Diet Book

Post by Gemini the Younger »

As a newbie, I've been scouring the boards for information on the LDL Way of Eating. (WOE)  So far I've read posts from at least a thousand members (Okay, I exaggerate a little. The actual number is 999. ;)) who are tossing their old diet books--and don't we all have good sized collections?--and keeping only their copies of Let's Do Lunch.   I started thinking that it might be fun (and a real ice breaker for all of us new recruits, as if this friendly site needs one!!!) if we put our minds to brainstorming and came up with A Thousand and One Uses for a Worthless Diet Book.  I'm currently using one of mine to press wild flowers and another's hidden under a tablecloth, propping up a wobbly table leg...you get the picture.

Just an idea...
Last edited by Gemini the Younger on May 29th, 2009, 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
mom
Master Member

Re: A Thousand and One Uses For A Worthless Diet Book

Post by mom »

take them to the lake, cabin or other primitive place you go and use them for toilet paper. :laughing: or fire starter :thumbsup:just don't give them to unsuspecting friends :thumbdown:
isthis4me

Post by isthis4me »

teehee, I donated mine to the local book store  :angel: I am making a book of recipes here * like NEETS meatloaf  :inlove:  until my book comes, then what isnt in there will be in the : LDL supplemental cook book:  :cool:
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Use them to make art journals!  I will volunteer to take them off of your hands if you want.  :laughing:

(In Faith)  LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by MissMellie »

Great idea Little Princess!!  You must be a stamper, scrapbooker or general crafter.  Now I know what I'm going to do with all of my old diet books.  Thanks for the inspiration.
Gemini the Younger

marysimmons wrote:
Gemini the Younger wrote:As a newbie, I've been scouring the boards for information on the LDL Way of Eating. (WOE)  So far I've read posts from at least a thousand members (Okay, I exaggerate a little. The actual number is 999. ;)) who are tossing their old diet books--and don't we all have good sized collections?--and keeping only their copies of Let's Do Lunch.   I started thinking that it might be fun (and a real ice breaker for all of us new recruits, as if this friendly site needs one!!!) if we put our minds to brainstorming and came up with A Thousand and One Uses for a Worthless Diet Book.  I'm currently using one of mine to press wild flowers and another's hidden under a tablecloth, propping up a wobbly table leg...you get the picture.

Just an idea...

#4- Donate them to my church's Sunday School.   We wouldn't let them READ those books, of course, but the pile would reach as high as the ceiling, so we'd let the children try to stack them as high as they can when we do our lesson on the "Tower of Babel!"  Then we'd run for cover when our tower started to collapse.  The rubble will probably fill the whole church hall.

Great topic! :laughing:

I love #4, Mary, but fat with their pages of worthless information, those books would better serve as building blocks for a Tower of Babble, not Babel!  Add a horn or two and the kids could stage a skit on the Walls of Jericho, Jericho, Jericho... :angel:
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Gemini the Younger wrote:I love #4, Mary, but fat with their pages of worthless information, those books would better serve as building blocks for a Tower of Babble, not Babel!  Add a horn or two and the kids could stage a skit on the Walls of Jericho, Jericho, Jericho... :angel:

Gem, I think our word "babble", (meaningless chatter) came from the Bible story about the Tower of Babel where they alll spoke a different language so nobody knew what was going on.  Exactly like in the world of diet books!  So my vote is that Mary's name stands.  It is #7 on OCDG's (OCD Gwennaford's) unofficial list of uses.  Your idea to build a Wall of Jericho is #10.

1. Pressing flowers (Gemini the Younger)
2. Propping Table leg (Gemini the Younger)
3. Toilet paper (mom)
4. Fire starter (mom)
5. Donate - does this qualify as a use (isthis4me)
6. Make a bonfire (Mary)
7. Build a Tower of Babel replica in Sunday School(Mary)
8. Shred for green packaging (Mary)
9. Make art journals (LittlePrincess)
10. Build a Wall of Jericho replica in Sunday School (Gemini the Younger)
11. Make Origami (Gwennaford) http://dev.origami.com/diagram.cfm
12. Make paper beads (Gwennaford) http://www.suite101.com/lesson.cfm/18889/2241
Last edited by Gwennaford on May 29th, 2009, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
AnnieR
New, but learning

Post by AnnieR »

I'm using a couple of really thick ones in my kitchen.... not to do what they say *lipssealed*

I can't reach a spot in my cabinets where I keep those super big, only use once a week pans... Standing on the phone book just wasn't cutting it.  Plus, the phone book has value-- wouldn't want to spill something on it using it on a kitchen floor.
But a couple of those ol' worthless diet books can be used a tossed aside whenever....
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Gwennaford wrote:1. Pressing flowers (Gemini the Younger)
2. Propping Table leg (Gemini the Younger)
3. Toilet paper (mom)
4. Fire starter (mom)
5. Donate - does this qualify as a use (isthis4me)
6. Make a bonfire (Mary)
7. Build a Tower of Babel replica in Sunday School(Mary)
8. Shred for green packaging (Mary)
9. Make art journals (LittlePrincess)
10. Build a Wall of Jericho replica in Sunday School (Gemini the Younger)
11. Make Origami (Gwennaford) http://dev.origami.com/diagram.cfm
12. Make paper beads (Gwennaford) http://www.suite101.com/lesson.cfm/18889/2241

13.    Disposable step stool (AnnieR)
ImageImage
MissBizzyLizzy
Master Member

Post by MissBizzyLizzy »

to get the gum off the bottom of your shoe...instead of using the precious paper towels  :teeth:
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Lizzy wrote:to get the gum off the bottom of your shoe...instead of using the precious paper towels  :teeth:

That's #14.  Gotta keep 'em numbered so OCD Gwennaford doesn't have a fit!  :tongue:  Image
Last edited by Gwennaford on May 29th, 2009, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
MissBizzyLizzy
Master Member

Post by MissBizzyLizzy »

how can you possibly handle calling it OCD...when in alphabetical order it is clearly CDO  :tongue:  that's what we call it at my house...lol  :teeth:
Gemini the Younger

Lizzy wrote:how can you possibly handle calling it OCD...when in alphabetical order it is clearly CDO  :tongue:  that's what we call it at my house...lol  :teeth:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:  There goes my drink spewing out my nose again!  The kid's got you there, Gwen.  But I know you'll be posting a comeback--probably COD!
MissBizzyLizzy
Master Member

Post by MissBizzyLizzy »

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Jazmyn
Master Member

Post by Jazmyn »

LOLOL Lizzy and Gwen I am totally cracking up here! She got ya on that one Gwen /wink

Mary OCD is Obsessive Compulsive Disorder  :)

LOL Thanks Gwen and Lizzy for the much needed laugh!

~Jazmyn  *love*
Start Date 5/18/09
6/18/09 ~ 13lbs gone
7/18/09 ~ 5lbs gone
8/18/09 ~ 7lbs gone
9/18/09 ~ 6lbs gone
10/18/09 ~ 4lbs gone
11/18/09 ~ 2lbs gone
babyaustin
New, but learning

Post by babyaustin »

How about my daycare kids use them for coloring books.

Speaking of OCD, my husband is and is on meds for it, so when they opposites attract, they are not kidding because I am the most unorganized person I know and it drives him nuts that I have piles of papers everywhere. It drives me nuts when he puts my piles together because even though they look terrible, there is a reason for each pile. Now don't picture my house to be a pig sty LOL because I do keep it clean, but I do have proabably three piles of my paperwork, bills etc.. that could be filed away but who has time in a day. :'(
Deb
Deb
Gemini the Younger

Priceless, Mary!  I remember reading that to cure a headache, the ancient Egyptians drilled holes in the skull to let the evil spirits out.  Will our attempts to lose weight seem as bizzare to the inheritors of our diet books when they open that capsule?  :shocked:  Oh, and about your Jericho production...I think I could do a good job of directing, a la Cecil B. DeMille, especially since my thunder thighs make any pants I wear look like jodhupurs.  Lights!  Camera!  Action!