uses for popcorn flour ?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
isthis4me

Re: uses for popcorn flour ?

Post by isthis4me »

vleller wrote:I made popcorn flour yesterday and it was a hoot!  That stuff is like the styrofoam peanuts that like to float around clinging to everything.  I used a long rubber spatula to try to guide it out of the blender into the baggie.  Interesting operation to say the least.  The blender did great on pulverizing it into a very fine powder.  Next is to cook something. . .I'm thinking maybe pancakes or waffles this weekend.

Lynn

pancakes are gooders  :drool:
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

wheeeeeeelllllllllll I would love ta and you would have to come up here too but I am comin down there in a coupla dayz     
Come on down!  It's a big state so I'd love to know if you end up in my neck of the woods.....west coast FL.  It would be a delight to meetcha Trish, with or without green tomatoes!  :D 

Wish you a great trip.
mrsj
t-rock
Master Member

Post by t-rock »

I will preface this by saying I have never been one to eat a lot of battered foods, it's just never been something I have enjoyed....but here is my question.. 

......I have to know...what is it that is unique about the green tomato and why are they so good fried ? I am a self admitted food snob (I know, what a thing to say on a site where I really hope you guys like me, sorry, but it's true, I am a food snob, and I am willing to own up to it).....

Enlighten me gals !

Tiss
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

Hey Tiss! I would love to tell you about green tomatoes. You don't want to eat them any other way. They are really tart so when you bread then and fry them they are tangy and crispy. There is no other food to compared them to. They are really firm and not soft like a ripe tomato so their not squishy when they are fried. Someone once told me to try fried red tomatoes (I'm not sure why) so I tried it and it was mushy and gross. The only people I have ever seen here in the south that don't like them are people who don't like tomatoes. They are great for an every now and then treat when you crave something salty!  :D

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

t-rock,

Green tomatoes were in the garden of eden....I am CONVINCED of it!  :laughing:  Tina is right, there is no way to really describe them.  You have to experience them.  We are raised on them down here in the south so when we hear people say they've never had them we are HORRIFIED!  LOL 

(In Faith)  LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by niki »

LittlePrincess wrote: We are raised on them down here in the south so when we hear people say they've never had them we are HORRIFIED! 

no kidding...........before that movie, i never even knew people ate them.....no, that's not true.......you know how they marinate them like pickles?.......i eat those....love them....haven't had them in years........
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

You are so right LP!!  :laughing:

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
vleller

Post by vleller »

For mine/my DH's anniversary a few weeks ago, we went to our favorite restaurant for dinner.  We only go there on special occasions as it's so doggone $$$$, but SO worth it.  (See Tiss, I also am a food snob).  Anyway, they had fried green tomatoes as an appetizer so we ordered some.  I'd only eaten them one previous time and wasn't impressed with all the hoopla over them.  Welllll, let me tell you people, these melted in my mouth, they were so yummmmy!!! :drool:  Our server further tried to tempt me by saying they made a fried green tomato & bacon sandwich at lunch.  Thank goodness for LDL - as I wasn't lured there the next day.But now I know what they're supposed to taste like when cooked perfectly.  It would have to be only an occasional treat! 

Lynn
Lynn
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

vleller wrote: Welllll, let me tell you people, these melted in my mouth, they were so yummmmy!!! :drool: 

coat them with chickpea flour instead of flour....what else do they use to prepare them?
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
vleller

Post by vleller »

Hi Niki,  You know I usually analyze the foods trying to figure out the ingredients so I can duplicate it, but this time I didn't do that.  I just thoroughly enjoyed them. I guess I knew I wouldn't be cooking any.  Thinking hard now, they were breaded with flour with spices added.  I know S&P but don't know about the rest.  You can just add whatever spices/herbs you like on your veggies.  But they had such a delicate, light taste and texture.  It wasn't a heavy breading and the slices were only about a quarter-inch thick.  Maybe someone here who actually cooks them can contribute their technique.  If I want any more, I'm just going back to my restaurant while they're in season.

Lynn
Lynn
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

vleller wrote: Maybe someone here who actually cooks them can contribute their technique. 

so, i need the southern belles here to chime in.......thanks, lynn..
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

Niki,

The key to good fried green tomatoes is less is better! You just slice them thin, (I dip them in a little water before I bread them so that the flour sticks better) sprinkle a little salt on both sides then coat both sides with flour, then fry them in a little evoo until brown and crispy on both sides. Make sure the heat is not extremely high because you want them to be soft in the middle not raw. You can add a little black pepper if you like but I just like them with salt. I have tried them with other spices like garlic but they are just so good when you keep it simple so you can just taste the tomato.
I hope you love them as much as I do!

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

then, they're easy to make with chickpea flour....thank you....
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

Your welcome! I haven't tried them with chickpea flour but I have tried them with popcorn flour and I like them better than with regular flour. (I never thought I would say that)  :D

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
t-rock
Master Member

Post by t-rock »

I love that this post is morphing, just like all of us !  Speaking of morphing (gratuitous segue).....let's talk about the red tomato because I am so excited about what I just made !!!!!!!!  I had a bowl of leftover turkey chili for lunch (Tina...:)....) and wanted a little something with it so I made a tuscan white bean dip (cannellini/two cloves garlic/juice of a lemon/olive oil/a little water/salt/pepper/fresh thyme/a little cayenne) and then did the following:

took a corn thin (or in my case I made two of these)
spread it with some tuscan white bean dip
placed two basil leaves on top of the dip
placed two tomato slices (because they were small tomatoes) on top of the basil
ground some black pepper on the tomato slices
dropped a few crystals of sea salt on the tomato slices
drizzled the tomatoes with some really good balsamic

I WILL NEVER NEED A CAPRESE SALAD AGAIN !!!!!!!! 

Man this is fun.

Tiss
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

t-rock wrote:I love that this post is morphing, just like all of us !  Speaking of morphing (gratuitous segue).....let's talk about the red tomato because I am so excited about what I just made !!!!!!!!  I had a bowl of leftover turkey chili for lunch (Tina...:)....) and wanted a little something with it so I made a tuscan white bean dip (cannellini/two cloves garlic/juice of a lemon/olive oil/a little water/salt/pepper/fresh thyme/a little cayenne) and then did the following:

took a corn thin (or in my case I made two of these)
spread it with some tuscan white bean dip
placed two basil leaves on top of the dip
placed two tomato slices (because they were small tomatoes) on top of the basil
ground some black pepper on the tomato slices
dropped a few crystals of sea salt on the tomato slices
drizzled the tomatoes with some really good balsamic

I WILL NEVER NEED A CAPRESE SALAD AGAIN !!!!!!!!   

Man this is fun.

Tiss

*FAINTS*  Okay that sounds too good to be true!  I have to try this!

(In Faith) LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by electricj1316 »

Me too! I had to bookmark this one!

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
karenrogers

Post by karenrogers »

hey, Can you help me with figuring out how to put the weight tickler on here?  I have made one up but can't figure out what in the world to do with it.
I am going to start tomorrow and I wanted to get this done.
Thanks,
Karen
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

karenrogers wrote:hey, Can you help me with figuring out how to put the weight tickler on here? 

i don't remember...where's debbie?
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

If you made your ticker on www.tickerfactory.com you had some code to copy on the last page where it showed you your finished ticker.  For this board you need to use the code for  BB  (bulletin board).  You need to copy that code (left mouse while you drag over it in the box, then while it's highlighted, right mouse and click "copy")  Make sure you've copied all the text within that BB box.  Then here on LDL, go to Profile then to Forum Profile Information...go to the Signature box, click in the empty box, then right mouse click and then choose Paste.  Made sure you click Change Profile at the bottom once your paste is in place.