"First" magazine...did the article (and God) bring you here?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
onecookie23

Re: "First" magazine...did the article (and God) bring you here?

Post by onecookie23 »

I had never purchased "First Magazine" before.  After I read the article, I left the magazine lying around the house for almost two months (something obsessive compulsive people like me never do).

Anyway, I returned to the article yesterday after having put on 30 lbs. since September and feeling disgusted with myself.  I read the article again and bought the red book which I read last night.  So today is my first day on LDL.

It is apparent that many of your members are observant Christians, which I am not (actually I am Jewish)- so it is hard for me to say that anything other than desperation brought me here.

While this comment will probably draw outrage from some of you, I wish that this site was only diet oriented, rather than having the religious overtones that it has.  I hope I have not offended any of you,  but from what I have seen on your boards, there appears to be room for everyone.

I hope to get to know many of you better.

Cookie
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Cookie- This way of eating will help you to achieve your goals.  We are inclusive, and I'm sure there are other Jewish members of Let's Do Lunch.  There is a strong religious overtone on the boards; don't let that put you off.  This is a wonderful, healthy, goal-achieving life style and a very supportive group of sincere individuals.  Best wishes as you embark on the train to Skinnytown!  Pam
heretotheend

Post by heretotheend »

Welcome Cookie!!!!!!!!!!!!  It doesn't matter what religion you are or even if you have one.  We are all here for the same reason and are very supportive of each other.  You are going to love the WOE  and wonder why we never found out about it until it came out in the First magazine.

My nickname also is Cookie, but on these boards I post under my real name.  I guess I feel that I am too old to be signing as Cookie although Cookie is what I am called by everyone.

Good luck on your journey to Skinnytown,
Martha
turkkm
Master Member

Post by turkkm »

Cookie, welcome to LDL, the best way to eat there is!  :cool:  I am so sorry you thought there might be outrage because you said your desperation brought you to LDL....I think many of us can identify with that!  All are welcome and appreciated.  I can't tell you how much knowledge and support I have received here!  *love*  Plus the diversity of people adds up to some great recipe ideas!  Glad to have you aboard the train to skinnytown!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageFor we walk by faith, not by sight.
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

Hi, Cookie, and Welcome!

I'm the one who started this thread, and I'm pleased (though not surprised) at how many people have chimed in with their First magazine stories.  I'll have to wade through at some point and separate the "newcomers" from the "repliers" and see how many there actually are.

Interesting that you'd say you left the magazine lying around, despite your OCD tendencies.  You must have felt there was something in there you still needed......  I'm thinking you just weren't in the "right place" yet to start LDL.  I think quite a few people feel that way.  I had to read the boards, research, think about food choices and recipes before I was willing to try it.

As for the Christian overtones, it's true that Roger Troy feels very strongly that God led him to this plan, and his religion is very important to him so it shows here (as I'm sure it does in the rest of his life.)  Although I do call myself a Christian, I also feel that any prayers, good wishes, thoughts of gratitude, or pleas for help, are all hitting the same energy, whether you call that God or not.  I think none of us knows what that energy is and won't until we die.  It's way too big for any of us to understand, even with the elementary rule books we have to follow.

Please be assured that no one was outraged by your opinion!  I hope you'll enjoy being part of this group, sharing experiences, recipes, success and frustrations, and asking any questions you need.  I'm pretty sure you can read the posts without having to genuflect first. ;)  We won't even tattle if you eat pork.  *woot*  

(Hope you take that in the humorous spirit in which it was intended!  :angel: )
Clown Lady
Master Member

Post by Clown Lady »

Cookie  ]
Welcome to LDL  We are here for one reason.  We are all over weight.  except those who have reached there goal.  This is a wonderful support group with love and compassion.  I would not be in week 9 without them and my husband.  Keep posting and asking questions.  You will be on the train to skinnytown.
*love* Donna
http://boards.letsdolunch.com/boards/ga ... _33_10.jpg
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wS4gwd3/]
rodie

Post by rodie »

Cookie,
  I just wanted to add my WELCOME!!!!I'm sure that you'll love it here,you will get lots of support and ideas,not to mention yummy recipes.
Hugzzz
Rodie :)
powder99

Post by powder99 »

One day, while I was fretting about how fat I was getting, my wife read aloud the article from "First." I ordered the book online before she finished reading the story. Normally, I don't order diets but I just felt I really should and did it without hesitation. OK, many diet books are ordered and many diet books are ignored. I read this book on Thursday for the first time and then on Friday I read it again. On the Saturday I committed and have really not strayed much: 1 diet coke and a shrimp/salmon salad supper once. I post my menus and get feedback if I stray and encouragement when I don't. I know it is only a month but I feel certain this is going to be a change in my life.
Sneaky Snoopy
Master Member

Post by Sneaky Snoopy »

I stumbled on the magazine a while back almost a year ago.  I liked the format of the magazine and shared it with my mom (Clown lady).  For my birthday she gave me a years sub to First Magazine.  Then the LDL article came out.  I thought it would be a good book for my mom, but was concerned about buying a diet book for someone else.  I decieded to buy one book, and instead of using it for me, I gave it to my mom.  She is hooked and now I just recieved the book for myself.  The funny thing is that my mom didn't read the article in First until I gave her the LDL book.

Best gift ever.
:)
lisbeth
New, but learning

Post by lisbeth »

Shalom cookie.  I'm Jewish too.  Not strict or Orthodox, we're reformed.  I don't mind all the Christians in here or the Muslims either because we all go back to Abraham and are people of the book, but even more, forget about our hereditary and cultural backgrounds, we are all the same because we all want to get into shape and lose extra weight.  I have found that everyone on this website is very helpful and kind.  I've been here almost three months and am finally believing that I can and will lose this extra weight for good. It is starting to come off pretty good already.

lisbeth
turkkm
Master Member

Post by turkkm »

Hi lisbeth!  I don't believe I have ever come across one of your posts yet so I can say howdy and welcome!  :cool:  I love LDL too, yippee!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageFor we walk by faith, not by sight.
Beppy
New, but learning

Post by Beppy »

I got the magazine from my Mom. I then ordered the book online. I have wanted to follow a more natural diet for a long time.  I am hoping that this helps shed the 10 extra pounds.  I figure if it worked for Roger's wife, hopefully it will work for me.

Beth