I "Killed" Bill's Mashed Taters!!

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
Ritarh

I "Killed" Bill's Mashed Taters!!

Post by Ritarh »

Hi Everyone,
Well, I finally found the recipe for Bills' Mashed Potatoes and it turned out to be a disaster!!  I had soaked some dry lima beans all day yesterday.  I put them in the crock pot with some chicken broth (ldl approved).  When I woke up this morning, they were very mushy and sort of brown, not burnt, just brown.  Sooooo, I added some more chicken broth and let them cook a little bit longer.  It still didn't help them any, they still tasted like lima beans.  I couldn't throw them out so I put them in my Magic Bullet and made a puree out of them and will add them to my soups all week.  I think next time, I will stick with the canned beans to make this recipe.  I was so looking forward to sinking my teeth into some mashed potatoes!! LOL!

I started my 3rd week yesterday and I want soooo badly to weigh myself.  However, I am going to wait until next week when I go to my sister's.  I am so glad I put my scale in the trunk of my car otherwise I would be getting on it every morning!!  I can tell by my clothes that I am losing either pounds or inches.  And, my energy, oh my gosh, I can just keep going and going (like the energizer bunny :teeth:

I can't begin to tell you all how I love reading everyone's posts.  I could spend the whole day.  So many emotions!  I have struggled with my weight all my life and even after I had WLS, I swore I would not gain back any weight.  Well, I did, because no matter what they do to your body, they can't change your mind!!

I can tell you this, I had to make some brownies for a co-worker for her birthday tomorrow.  I made them and did not have any desire to even lick the bowl.  I cut them into cute little shapes, frosted them and boxed them up to take in the morning.  Now I can't just throw out what was leftover, so I bagged those up along with the left over frosting and will give to one of the other girls at work for her daughters.  It has not even bothered me that they are sitting in the fridge right now!!  I know that this way of eating is going to work for me.  I have corn chicken chowder, pizza soup, ldl hamburgers all ready for lunches this week.

My book comes tomorrow and I just can't wait to delve in and get really familiar with everything I need to know to continue this eating for the rest of my life.

Rita
Shluffie

Re: I "Killed" Bill's Mashed Taters!!

Post by Shluffie »

Hi Rita. I am new to LDL and in fact just posted for the first time on the boards. I have been doing the program for about a week and indeed have made the Mashed Potatoes twice. Perhaps this can help you make them next time with success  :rolleyes:: I found that using canned butter beans (as indicated in the recipe) made it turn out well. I drained them, cooked them for a few minutes on the stovetop and then proceeded with the rest of the directions. (I used a handheld mixer for the mashing part.) They really taste great. I am glad though that you found use for yours in your soups.

Hope you don't mind my helpful hint! Keep up the good work and continued success on the program!

Shluffie
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

HI Ritarh,

Welcome to LDL!  It sounds like you are well on your way- Congratulations!  Aren't the changes you feel amazing?  i really think this community is a key to our success.  :thumbsup:

Don't worry about the beans. You will figure things out and adjust. I made (and I say made loosely) some frozen grapes and ate some but forgot to put them back in the freezer. The next morning I saw them in the frig, all brown and mushy--- YUCK!  :thumbdown:

Hey to you too, Shluffie. You are already contributing as a Guest!  Well Done! Come join us, won't you?  We don't bite!  We are very satisfied on LDL. ;D

Julie :rose:
mamavan

Post by mamavan »

Hi Rita,
Welcome. I'm new too. I'll be entering my third week (w/o the book...just got word it was shipped! Hurray!!). Like you I feel so good! My energy level is through the roof!

I'm addicted to the scale...in all other diets I was on -- I would weigh myself not just once a week, but several times a day!  I've been good (sort of)... haven't weighed myself for a few days. One thing is for sure...when I'm walking my dogs around the block...I have to keep pulling my pants up! This is a good sign.  :thumbsup:

I too use the canned butter beans to make mash potatoes...they're pretty good, although I'm not a huge mashed tater fan anyway. I found taking a handful of any white beans and mixing them w/your fruit smoothie is a sneaky and smart way to get a dose of beans and you do not even taste them.

I just know this life plan is going to work...I have a house where others do NOT have to watch what they eat and my pantry/fridge is loaded w/goodies and I haven't even been tempted. My big problem was at night...the midnight fridge raider...now I can walk by the fridge w/o a desire to open and see what's in there. I need to be able to deal w/the fact that others in my house can eat potato chips, cookies, cupcakes, etc. and I cannot ... or should I say ... I am now able to choose something healthy and know I'm reaping the benefits from something like a fruit smoothie, or fruit. I don't feel deprived at all.  I have a surprize b'day party coming up this weekend (a dinner) but I have every intention of eating my "main" meal at home and just having some vegys/fruit at the dinner. I was even asked to bring a dessert, which I will but won't partake. I'm too happy about the way I feel to ruin it!

This is a great place to hang out w/a group of terrific people for constant support, isn't it?
All the best to you,
Cheryl
bevchalk

Post by bevchalk »

You can make "mashed potatoes" by cooking cauliflower and leeks, then put them in a blender with a tiny bit of milk and butter substitute.
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

cauliflower and broccoli is good as a mash too!

Harriett
New, but learning

Post by Harriett »

I can't find the butterbeans here in Canada {Ottawa] had used them on Florida. So did make the lima beans LARGE ONES in the slow cooker just using water & they turned out great.
In fact my husband who is a great potatoe lover choose them over potatoes the other night.So do try again don't cook them quite so long. I have frozen some so will keep you informed.
I made the marmalade chicken &it was a big hit. This is a wonderfulway of living. Basket Lady I lost the weight in my late 60s have gained about 30llbs over the last 3 years so that is why I feel this way of life is so wonderful
Remember YOU ALL CAN DO IT with GODS HElP
Have a great week
Love&Prayers Harriett
heretotheend

Post by heretotheend »

I have cooked the large butter beans in a crock pot and they came out great.  I soak them for a few hours  and then cover them with hot water and cook until tender. Only takes a few hours of cooking tilme.  After they are cool I freeze them for future use. 

I have done this with all of the beans I am eating.  It is a lot cheaper this way and when I make a recipe all I need to do is get what I need out of the freezer and defrost.
turkkm
Master Member

Post by turkkm »

Welcome Rita!  I have made both butter bean (canned) mashed potatoes and cauliflower mashed potatoes, yum!  I am actually thinking of combining them next time, hmmmm.

PS Shluffie, join us, it is free to be a member of the board.  Then you can do a journal if you want to or read other people's journals too. 
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageFor we walk by faith, not by sight.
Gemini the Younger

Post by Gemini the Younger »

Now this, Ritarh...this is killing a bean.  (Someone really was a "bad Spammer," pun intended.)  Even the hapless cook knew it.  Notice the sad little rosette she laid on top of the grave, I mean, casserole? 

But you, you just had a little misadventure in the bean patch. 

Welcome!

GEM...Booked on the

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
mom
Master Member

Post by mom »

I have made the "mashed potatoes," using canned butter beans, but I added cooked pureed cauliflower to them and they were sooo good, haven't tried pureed broccoli, don't think I'd like green mashed potatoes, except maybe for St Paddy's day.
turkkm
Master Member

Post by turkkm »

Oh good mom, I didn't know someone had already tried the butter bean/cauliflower mix for the fake mashed potatoes.  I will definitely try it too!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageFor we walk by faith, not by sight.
MissBizzyLizzy
Master Member

Post by MissBizzyLizzy »

welcome!  and now i want me some mashed cauliflower  :drool:

oh and of course Gem...you have me cracking up over here.  spam and lima beans...sound like a southern thing.  my mom grew up in Louisiana and said they ate lima beans all the time...and spam of course.
Ritarh

Post by Ritarh »

Thanks everyone for all of the encouragement!!  I just won't cook them all nite long the next time.  (I could have sworn thats what my Momma did when we were kids) I like to buy the dried as they are a little cheaper, but I am going to try the canned next time and I think I will try the cauliflower with them.

Gem - you are a hoot girl!!!  I love your postings.  If we had a contest you would have to win cause you post the funniest things!!!  Keep doing it, I love it! 

I had another successful day today and I look forward to so many more along with all of the rest of you!!  Take care and have a wonderful evening.  See ya all tomorrow!

Rita
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Are those Lima Beans? They look like llittle rocks!  :thumbdown: