Just for fun!

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
redkat

Re: Just for fun!

Post by redkat »

Crickadoodle,
Yes I did remember that you were from Louisiana.  I just didn't remember seeing you on this thread. 
Three pounds a week, that is awsome.  I am looking forward to just those kinds of results.  I have been really careful to stay on plan, even omitting the popcorn snack in the pm most days.  Sometimes by the time I get to the evening, fruit is just not what I want. 

The only problem I have had is my coffee.  I'm still not ready to give that up yet.  I drink coffee with cream and 1 Splenda in it.  Usually 2 cups a day, 1 morning & 1 afternoon.  I was wondering if anyone out there would know if, since I'm not ready to part with it yet, if it would be better consumed with a meal or 1-2 hours after??? Or would that even make a difference?

Kathy
Kathy
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

RedKat -- I think you can keep drinking your coffee, but try to make it the least fattening as possible that still satisfies you.  If you hate this way of eating, you won't stick with it.  If you aren't quite ready to give up the coffee with cream and by giving it up, you're going to rebell completely from eating this way, I'd say keep drinking it.  The way we eat can be so connected with our emotions and attitudes too, until we totally get rid of the cravings.  At this point for me (I started June 29th) I really don't crave anything.  I really can eat to live and not live to eat -- now you know that is something coming from the mouth of a Cajun!  :D  :laughing: :laughing:  I don't even miss my morning tea with evaporated milk and Splenda that I drank every morning.  If we went on vacation, I'd pack a little bag with evaporated milk, tea and Splenda to make sure I'd have it. 

The thing you want to do more than anything is get rid of those cravings.  Eating lots of fruit and adding beans, while eliminating grains and sweets and other non LDL foods, will help you end your cravings.  The cream is the only thing in your coffee that is non LDL.  Fat free milk would be better, but personally, I wouldn't like the change in taste -- like my evaporated milk wouldn't switch out well.  I'd miss the flavor.  The day might come when you really won't miss it.  For me, I started walking first thing in the morning and that replaced my tea.  I surely didn't want hot tea after walking an hour!   
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Kathy, when I'm craving a rich thick cup of coffee, I make espresso REALLY strong and cut it with skim milk.  Think of is as a Cajun latte.   :D That way it's the coffee, not the cream making the flavor.

Green tea also satisfies the caffeine bug and has received Roger Troy's official okey dokey.

That said, I agree with Crickadoodle that you have to approach Let's Do Lunch sensibly.  The whole point of LDL is that it's not about deprivation.  Have your coffee the least fattening way you can find that still tastes good to you, while staying open to alternatives.  I believe almost everyone who has stuck with it has found that eventually, their old habits have fallen by the wayside painlessly.

Blessings to you!
Last edited by Gwennaford on September 9th, 2009, 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

julie409 wrote:HI Joe,

So how did you get your screen name? :laughing:

Julie :rose:

500 years of Sicilian oppression!
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.
redkat

Post by redkat »

Thanks Crickadoodle and Gweenaford,

So far the coffee is my only downfall.  I am trying to reduce the amount of cream (I usually use about 1 tablespoon).  Milk or half/half just doesn't do it for me.  I am going to continue as I am going, gradually cutting back to 1 cup/day then without.  It may take some time.

I am aslo (not so patiently) refraining from daily weighing.  That habit is years old.  Haven't been on the scale since Sunday 9/6.  I will do weekly weigh-ins then bi-weekly, then monthly as I see solid changes in weight.

Kathy
Kathy
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Hey Redcat,

You can do this. I was just saying on another post that I was a little addicted to SF non dairy flavored creamers in my coffee. I Knew they couldn't be good for me bc they left such a residue in the cup *lipssealed* but they tasted delish when the coffee was hot. I didn't need anything else in it bc it was so sweet.

Now I use flavored coffee (instant) with a sprinkle of cinnamon and some stevia.  Maybe that would appeal to you.
It really is yummy - just not creamy. I am going to try to make it with ice and froth it up and see if I like it that way.

MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Redcat- I used to use whole whipping cream in my coffee (shades of low-carb failed diets).  When I started LDL, I knew I couldn't have the cream, and skimmed milk didn't cut it for me.  I went cold-turkey, and believe it or not, I actually enjoy my coffee black and look forward to it every morning.  Like anything, it is an acquired taste.  Good luck.  Pam
Last edited by MsHeirloom on October 3rd, 2009, 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Julie - What are the ingredients in your instant flavored coffee?  Just askin' ...  don't want newbies replacing one bad habit with another one, thinking all instant flavored coffee mixes are okay!

Loves,
Gwennaford (one "e", two "n's")
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
LovinLDL

Post by LovinLDL »

I have been lurkin in on this thread some but haven't replied yet.  I think my id is self explanatory.  I did have one before my current one...anyone remember?...it was a bit more descriptive of my family (but none of us have hair of gold and no Alice).

I did want to recommend black Folgers coffee with a few shakes of cinnamon put in with the ground coffee before brewing...Mmmm, one cup/morning for me.

Blessings Ya'll,
Julie
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Hi Julie (Ya'll) Haven't seen you around for a while. You must be really busy enjoying your new ranch!

Gwen, thanks for the reminder. I never even thought to look at that. Here is the web site info - it's fine for us - WHEW!!!
:blink: You had me scared!  I have never been a big coffee drinker so instant is good for me. Julie :rose:

Q: What are the ingredients used to make NESCAFÉ TASTER'S CHOICE?
A: NESCAFÉ TASTER'S CHOICE is made with a fine blend of Robusta and Arabica beans picked at the peak of freshness. That's is, just real beans used to make real coffee.

Q: Is NESCAFÉ TASTER'S CHOICE gluten-free?
A: Yes

Q: How much caffeine is there in NESCAFÉ TASTER'S CHOICE?
A: Original/Regular approximately 65 mg
Gourmet Roast approximately 65 mg
Flavored approximately 25-30 mg
Decaffeinated 2-5 mg
Caffeine content based on typical range of coffee powder used in 6 oz cup.

Q: How does this amount compare to other products that contain caffeine?
A: Coffee – Brewed (6 fl oz) 45 - 180 mg
Tea – Brewed (6 fl oz) 20 - 90 mg
Tea – Instant (6 fl oz) 24 - 31 mg
Soft Drink (8 fl oz cola type) 30 - 71 mg
Chocolate Milk (8 fl oz) 2 - 7 mg
Caffeine content based on information from the U.S. FDA and National Coffee Association

Q: Why is caffeine not listed on the ingredient label?
A: As caffeine is a natural substance in coffee, tea and chocolate, it is not required to be listed in the ingredient statement.

Q: Is NESCAFÉ TASTER'S CHOICE kosher?
A: Yes, it is certified OU Kosher.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Victoria

Post by Victoria »

Julie,

My father-in-law always sprinkled cinnamon on top of the ground coffee before brewing because he said it was good for your health (tastes good too).  Here is what I found out about cinnamon...

1. Studies have shown that just 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon per day can lower LDL cholesterol.

2. Several studies suggest that cinnamon may have a regulatory effect on blood sugar, making it especially beneficial for people with Type 2 diabetes.

3. In some studies, cinnamon has shown an amazing ability to stop medication-resistant yeast infections.

4. In a study published by researchers at the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Maryland, cinnamon reduced the proliferation of leukemia and lymphoma cancer cells.

5. It has an anti-clotting effect on the blood.

6. In a study at Copenhagen University, patients given half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder combined with one tablespoon of honey every morning before breakfast had significant relief in arthritis pain after one week and could walk without pain within one month.

7. When added to food, it inhibits bacterial growth and food spoilage, making it a natural food preservative.

8. One study found that smelling cinnamon boosts cognitive function and memory.

9. Researchers at Kansas State University found that cinnamon fights the E. coli bacteria in unpasteurized juices.

10. It is a great source of manganese, fiber, iron, and calcium

I'm sure the are many more health benefits, but I didn't want to take up any more of your time.

Vicki

P.S. I am going to try the cinnamon and honey in the a.m. and see if it relieves the arthritis in my hip joint that I take medication for every day.
Last edited by VickiLynn on September 9th, 2009, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

VickiLynn wrote:Julie,

My father-in-law always sprinkled cinnamon on top of the ground coffee before brewing because he said it was good for your health (tastes good too). Vicki

P.S. I am going to try the cinnamon and honey in the a.m. and see if it relieve the arthritis in my hip joint that I take medication for every day.

Try it as an additive to your smoothies!

Joe
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.
LovinLDL

Post by LovinLDL »

Yes, I lurked in on the honey and cinnamon thread too:-). I've been having a TBSP of local honey with a tsp of cinnamon in hot water during rest/reading time in the afternoons. 

Note to food police...no seeming increase in appetite.

I have done cinnamon in my coffee for about a year since having it and loving the taste and smell at a friend's.

We are enjoying our new home but have been very busy with the new school year.  I have two in high school, two in pre-school and two in between...lovin every minute of it but berry berry bizzy like Lizzy:-)

Blessings Ya'll,
Julie (who does speak good English to her children:-)
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

My mom used to make a coffee concoction that I try to make for her sometimes.  She'd put coffee, Hershey's chocolate powder (no sugar), cinnamon, Splenda and FF milk.  After reading how "8. One study found that smelling cinnamon boosts cognitive function and memory." I probably should do this for her everyday.  She has suffered some from dementia since her surgeries, which I think has to do with all that anesthesia. 

I guess chocolate powder is not LDL friendly, maybe because of cravings.  My mom doesn't have to lose weight, though.
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Hey Vicki,

Thanks for the info. In almost every alternative medicine book that I read, cinnamon is mentioned as something to incorporate for good health. But the only thing I could ever remember is that it is good for me and my body likes it (unlike tons of stuff it does not like) and it improves your metabolism (something about the heat it creates).
I also add it to my real coffee in the brewing process if the men in my family are not around - only REAL coffee for them!  It is much less expensive than buying flavored coffee!  :thumbsup:  If it helps my brain too - that's a great bonus! 

Hey Joe, YES! I add it to smoothies. I also used to sprinkle on toast and cereal (my kids were never allowed to have sugar cereals so it was wheat germ and cinnamon -  :D  ). Now I also put it into my eggs if I want something sweet, but only if I make the eggs flat like an open omlette.

J :rose:
mlpautzke
New, but learning

Post by mlpautzke »

Mine is my first 2 initials and my last name, not very original    :blush:
Michelle

julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Just wondering if any newbies would like to respond to this and tell us about their screen names.

Welcome Newbies!  *hug*
Julie  :rose:
scarlett859

Post by scarlett859 »

My name comes from my all time favorite movie, Gone with the Wind. I watched that movie for the first time in 6th grade when a friend of mine told me that there was this old movie where the house was named Tara (My real name). I fell in love with it from then on. :inlove: People started giving me GWTW stuff for gifts. When I got a job I found out what eBay was, I started really building my collection (and was often broke too from all the buying). I have about $5,000 into my collection. :shock: (Probably more) I rarely buy new things now since there isn't much I don't have (that I can afford). In March of last year, mom ([color=red]RedKat) and I went to Atlanta since it is the home of both of our favorite things. We went to see Margaret Mitchell's apartment where she lived when she wrote the book and a few museums. We also went to the World of Coca-Cola (mom's favorite).

So when it came time for me to get my first email address of course I had to have Scarlett. The 859 is my initials on a phone key pad, TLW.[/color]
[glow=grey,2,300]GEAUX TIGERS![/glow]
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wKZCQDt/]
tonz2day

Post by tonz2day »

My real name is Tonya.  My childhood best friend use to call me Tonz and my last name is Day.  I use "tonz2day" for several online things and sometimes they require a numerical number in the password.  So the "2" became part of my password/user name.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/weAJS0m/]
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Hey Miss Scarlett!  Thanks for the background - love the story!

I just saw your MOM post today in the lurker post. I love that we have family members on board. My daughter started LDL a few weeks ago and she is doing great. And you must have seen the great race between Clown Lady and Snoopy. It is great fun to share this experience.

Hi Tonya, nice to hear from you too! I will really get to starting the new topic by the weekend. I want to think about what to write. I want to make sure I don;t lead anyone astray.

Thanks guys.  *hug*