LDL for hypoglycemics

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
lauram221

LDL for hypoglycemics

Post by lauram221 »

Hello all. I just read an article in a magazine and the Let's Do Lunch lifestyle has me really intrigued. I'm desperate to shed some weight, but am concerned because of the lack of protein. Are any hypoglycemics here that have been successful on this plan?

It appears that proteins are only allowed during lunch hour. Unfortunately, because of my hypoglycemia, I typically have to incorporate protein at every meal to process all the carbs. Would the plan still work if I added almonds or something with my fruits? Anyone have any answers for me?
Sweet_Pea

Re: LDL for hypoglycemics

Post by Sweet_Pea »

Welcome,

I would suggest that you have eggs in the morning, protein at lunch, and maybe fish or eggs at night if you must have protein every meal.  Aren't there lots of protein in beans also?  Maybe having bean soups at your evening meal would work also.  Just a couple suggestions.

Hugs, Carrole
StephS30

Post by StephS30 »

In reading the basic guidelines, it looks like soy is ok at meals (specifically edamame)... is soy protein powder allowed?  Like in the fruit smoothie? 

Again, reading the basic guidelines - it looks like lunch is the 'heavy proteins' - lean red meat, etc.

I can't wait until I get my book!!
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

I don't know about hypoglycemia, but Carrole did a good job addressing your question about the kinds of proteins to eat & when - "heavy" vs. "light".  You are the second person I've heard say they needed protein to process carbs.  Would beans qualify as both?  Do you monitor your blood sugar readings?  How do you know when you are getting the right balance?  This is very interesting to me.

When you receive your book, please take it to your doctors and review with them the kinds of LDL foods they recommend for you and follow their advice.  In the meantime, this may help:

The portions depicted by the magazine staff are very small, and we really aren't supposed to be eating bread products at all.  We satisfy those cravings with peas, beans, corn, popcorn, and Best Foods Original (flavor) Corn Thins.  Here's a picture of what they look like & a place to buy them if you can't find them in the grocery or health food store:  http://www.letsdolunch.com/boards/http: ... 727#p42727

We are supposed to eat until FULL at all three meals to enable us to avoid wanting to snack.  But don't be confused.  That is only for people well established on Let's Do Lunch who have their blood sugar stabilized & all cravings under control.

When you're first starting out, you are supposed to eat until full of ALL the Let's Do Lunch foods to satisfy and any and all cravings - as much as you want, as often as you want.  Unbelieveable, no?  But it's true.

This link will help you get started deciding what and when to eat.  Please review the recipe boards, too to help you formulate a shopping list to customize a menu that you will love!

http://www.letsdolunch.com/boards/http: ... 9753#p9753
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
lauram221

Post by lauram221 »

Thanks all. Yes, beans would classify as both protein and carb. Unfortunately, because of my thyroid issues, I have to avoid soy, but I do have a vegetable protein powder that I often add to my smoothies.

Gwennaford, no, I don't have to monitor my blood sugar. I've learned through the years how to eat, and what the signs are that I need to eat some protein. Typically, if I don't eat every few hours, I will get agitated, dizzy and get a headache. If it eat carbs without protein, then I'll get dizzy, and nauseous. 
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

From a strictly LDL standpoint, I would add pureed white beans to the smoothies instead of the vegetable protein powder.  You can't taste them, they bump up the protein and make you feel full and satisfied longer.  But you should do what your doctor says.

I believe you will be able to find a way to make Let's Do Lunch work for you and that you will be AMAZED at how soon you will stop being dizzy and, headachy and/or nauseous between meals.

All the best success to you, Laura. May God bless you on your journey to Skinnytown!  Keep in touch and let us know how you progress.  And please post about your experiences on Medical Success Stories board.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
StephS30

Post by StephS30 »

Yes, I do monitor my blood sugar - in addition to paying attention to the 'body signs' that I am going hypoglycemic.  I'll have to take you at your word - beans in a smoothie scare me. :)  So did spinach the first time, though.  lol  I am absolutely going to have my doctor look the plan over to give his ok first - but regardless giving up processed foods is ALWAYS a smart nutritional step to make.

Thank you so much.
Steph
massageangel

Post by massageangel »

I came across this thread and wanted to comment.  I also have hypoglycemia.  I've been on the program for almost 4 weeks now and have totally forgotten that I have it.  My focus has changed from "needing to eat for my blood sugar" to "am I hungry?"  Yesterday I went almost 7 hours without eating and I felt great.  That's gotta be a first for me.
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

massageangel wrote:I came across this thread and wanted to comment.  I also have hypoglycemia.  I've been on the program for almost 4 weeks now and have totally forgotten that I have it.  My focus has changed from "needing to eat for my blood sugar" to "am I hungry?"  Yesterday I went almost 7 hours without eating and I felt great.  That's gotta be a first for me.

that's wonderful....and ALL because of the absence of sugar....that's an awesome shift of focus...........congratulations...
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

Gwennaford wrote:.

When you receive your book, please take it to your doctors and review with them the kinds of LDL foods they recommend for you and follow their advice.  In the meantime, this may help:

The portions depicted by the magazine staff are very small, and we really aren't supposed to be eating bread products at all.  We satisfy those cravings with peas, beans, corn, popcorn, and Best Foods Original (flavor) Corn Thins.  Here's a picture of what they look like & a place to buy them if you can't find them in the grocery or health food store:   http://www.letsdolunch.com/boards/http://letsdolunch.com/boards2/viewtopic.php?p=42727#p42727

http://www.letsdolunch.com/boards/http: ... 9753#p9753

Psst....Gwen.....your cut and paste is very helpful, and, WOW, we still have people trickling in from the magazine article.  Now, when does that contest end, and will RT be sending me a Vitamix??  Oh...Gwen....when you do your cut and paste, change the brand of Corn Thins to    Real Foods.....Best Foods is the "somewhere else in the country's" brand of Hellman's....it'll lead them to mayonnaise.  :shocked: 

I called a nice ummm....fancier-than-I-usually-frequent  healthy food store today, and they said they'd order Corn Thins for me...should be in by next Thursday.  That'll be great...I've got a Whole Foods "in town" but it's over half an hour from me.  I will probably wind up eating more, if I can get them more easily. 
massageangel

Post by massageangel »

I added some white beans (about 1/4 cup) with my smoothie twice instead of two eggs or the tomato soup.  I couldn't tell much difference in the taste of the smoothie but I noticed I was hungry about an hour earlier than I if I had eggs or soup.