March 2010 LDL convention in Texas!

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
Eljayne
Master Member

Re: March 2010 LDL convention in Texas!

Post by Eljayne »

marysimmons wrote:
Eljayne wrote:Key West sounds wonderful!!! Any change it might be earlier than March or later April?

We've only just started talking about it.  Maybe it will be in late summer or early fall because it's a quieter time of year in the Keys then.  (It is also Hurricane Season, so that would be a risk people will have to accept if the dates are between July -  November.)  Why don't we get the 2010 one over and done with first, and then we can start talking about next year's Key West plans!

Little Mary

good idea to get this one enjoyed before thinking about the next one....you've all done such a great job of getting this organized. It sounds wonderful. I'm sure the enthusiasm will be high and those attending will want to discuss next year and they'll have lots of great ideas.  ENJOY!  ELj
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Mary, I think we have our problem solved!  We can't let your mom down.   :)   Well, so far so good, anyway.  I went to a medical supply store today and got the heavy duty stuff (called Osto-bond), so hopefully this will do the trick.  I also got another item (an ostomy belt) that should help too.  I knew there had to be something, because people can't live like we have our past few days all the time.  I'm bringing lots of supplies, in case we encounter any problems.  We are looking forward to getting away.  Mom hasn't gone on a trip since evacuating for Hurricane Gustav!  That was 2008!  It's time she had a little fun.  She will enjoy getting to know your mom.
Last edited by crickadoodle on March 26th, 2010, 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TRISH

Post by TRISH »

HEY  EVERYONE 1 DAY TO BLAST OFF !  LOL  CAN NOT WAIT TO MEET MY FELLOW L D L 'ER........

MARY, I AM ALWAYS GAME TO HELP IN THE KITCHEN......I LOVE TO COOK, OR CLEAN UP.......SO COUNT ME IN.....

THIS IS TURNING OUT TO BE SOOOOOO  NICE,  EVERYONE IS SO HELPFUL AND NICE.  I KNOW I WILL HAVE A GREAT TIME.

BE IN SUNDAY NIGHT AT 7PM.    ANY ONE WANT TO MEET IN THE LOBY OF THE HOLIDAY INN RIVER WALK.  I WILL BE THERE...

SEE YA ALLLLLLLLLL  REAL SOON ! ! !  ~~~~~~~~~~  TRISH
      *love*
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Man, just when I think I figured it out, we have a set back.  I decided I'm going on this trip, because something is trying to put up road blocks.  You ever get the feeling that when you have a struggle, it means you would be really blessed if you overcome the struggle and get there?  That's how I'm feeling about this trip at this point.  Anyway, keep praying for us.  I had to change that thing twice today, but the last time it seems to be working.  I keep checking it and it is still doing what it is supposed to do.    So it's been about 4 hours now.  I'm praying I don't have to change this one until after we get home from the trip.  I believe in miracles, and right now that would be the biggest miracle I can imagine in my world.  :angel: :D  That in itself is proof that I really need this trip to get out more.  There is a big world out there and my focus is very small on my little problem.  But my problem looks so big when I'm so up close as I am.  :'(    Bottom line, I figure I can deal with my problem at home in familiar surroundings -- or I can get out an explore the world a little and take a couple of chances.  I'll have to deal with the problem where ever I am -- might as well have a little fun in between.  I would so love to have no trouble with this, though.   
Ginny M.
Master Member

Post by Ginny M. »

About 36 hours to go  :D !!  I'm getting so excited!  A little scared, too.  Last time I flew to Texas I was by myself, too, and that was 37 years ago !!!!    :shock: Flight arrives about 11 AM and be at Holiday Inn ASAP!!!!

*hug*
Ginny
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

You all have a wonderful time and take lots of pictures to share.  What a lot of fun this will be for all of you to get to meet each other.  I am envious yet so happy for all of you.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Good news -- Mom's wafer has held for 24 hrs.!  It looks secure, so we should be fine traveling.  What a load off my mind! 

Thanks, Julie, for the phone number.  I wrote it down just in case. You might want to take it off the site now.
Bethann
Master Member

Post by Bethann »

Praying for you!  :rose:
Scotsgal

Post by Scotsgal »

Me too!  Praying for all of you..............hope we hear many stories and of course see lots of piccys. 
Blessings from Scotland to all of you.
LovinLDL

Post by LovinLDL »

Wow, was that fun!  There are so many super cool folks on LDL!  We had a blast.  Pictures should be coming soon....everyone was either taking pictures, cooking, or helping in some way....ok, there was a fair amount of visiting too.

Y'all come back now ya hear!  Can't wait until FL......everyone start planning now.  You won't regret it!

Blessings Y'all,
Julie
LovinLDL

Post by LovinLDL »

Roger, you are too kind!  But, the food our family prepared was graciously paid for by folks at the get-together who pitched in and left a jar of money on my counter...what a nice surprise!  There were also some Corn Thins that you sent (others brought some too) that I meant to send home with those staying in hotels but forgot.  So, we will enjoy Corn Thins for quite a while...THANKS SO MUCH for your generosity!

My family is still buzzing about the time they had.  You all that were here were so friendly....thanks for that...I know sometimes people don't like interacting with kids, but you all encouraged mine so much and I think they really learned a lot visiting with people from all parts of the nation (something like 9 states represented).  Thanks for giving them priceless training/learning opportunities today.  From a new friend for my younger boys (who can resist Harrison's smile?!) and all the doting on Marcie Grace (Mary, she considers your mom her new close friend!) to business/school/cooking advice for Mark and tons of encouragement for the girls (who don't worry about their weight but do have certain insecurities that all teenage girls tend to have).  Crickadoodle, the way you care for your mom (who reminds me so much of my Grandmother) encouraged me, hang in there friend, we will continue to pray for you...a "Carolyn" for respit!  So many fond memories....I better not try to list them all because I really need to be off to bed.  I look forward to the pictures and next year!

Blessings and Thanks,
Julie
w8Less
New, but learning

Post by w8Less »

Julie,

Kim and I had a wonderful time at your home as well.  You and your entire family were so gracious and accommodating.  We had a blast meeting, talking with everyone including your children, and enjoying the great food.  The only thing that could have made it better is if Roger and Neets could have come, but we understood.

Thanks again for your family's hospitality - I hope we can get together again someday (especially with us both in Texas!).  I will be posting a link to the pictures as soon as I can.

God bless,
Brandon
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Julie,  Thanks for the great hospitality of your whole family.  Lou Ann (Country Girl) and I, Wanda (Joyful Friend). made it home to Ohio today. We had a delightful time in San Antonio.  We enjoyed the time spent at the ranch.  Your children are so beautiful, polite, and friendly.  The fellowship and food were outstanding.  We enjoyed the antique stores at Frederickburg, a beautiful city.  The whole trip will always be memorable because Lou Ann and I spent it together.  Both meetings with our LDL friends were great.  All the people who attended were so very pleasant and enjoyable. I have learned a whole lot from you, not only about LDL, but also about living.  The only way it could have been better was to have more of the LDL friends on the boards to be in attendance.  ROGER, NEETS, and Mom, We missed not meeting you, but we want to thank you for your generosity.  The fruit and veggie plates were delicious.  Little Mary and Julie had also made delicious dips.  Most of all, I again want to thank you for this delightful WOE. It not only gives great health benefits, but also weight loss without starvation, and free from nagging cravings.  We look forward to the meeting next year if God wills.  *hug* *hug* and  :rose: :rose: to Little Mary and Julie for planning such a delightful time.  Joyful Friend 
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Well, we made it home a couple of hours ago.  Mom and I had a great time.  The trip was not uneventful, but those negative events would have been happening at home, and like I said, "At least we could have fun in between all the bad parts."  I do not regret taking Mom on the trip, instead of staying at home.  She enjoyed it so much and doesn't always remember everything we did, but just that she had so much fun.  I took two pictures yesterday at the same spots where I took pictures a year ago.  These are my before and after pictures.  What a big difference being on LDL has made! 

On the way home, we visited some relatives in my mom's hometown of Port Arthur.  One cousin wants me to send her all the info on LDL, as she said she could lose 60 lbs. 

Everyone was so awesome at the convention.  Donna, thank you for caring for my mom at the lunch on Tuesday.  You were a blessing.  So great to meet you and Dawn in person (and your DH).  Mary, the capris fit perfectly -- who'd a thunk I'd fit in a four??  :D  My mom really enjoyed visiting with your mom.  Julie, your home is so nice and everyone felt so welcomed there.  Thank you for being courageous enough to open your home to all of us previous strangers -- now friends.  Joyful Friend (Wanda) it was great visiting with you and meeting Country Girl (Lou Ann).  The picture of you that I took when Mom and I were on the barge on the River came out so cute.  I'll have to send it to you!  Kat and Tara, I'm so glad you were able to make it too.  You both look better every time I see you. Nice meeting you, Brandon and Kim.  I enjoyed talking with Kim so much.  Such a sweet lady!  Can't wait to see the pictures.  Vicki and Trish and Ginny and Pam -- so good to see the faces behind the posts.  Hope everyone made it home safely.

Hope we can all be together again one day!  I'd say the first LDL convention was a shining success.  Thanks, Mary and Julie and whoever else did work to make it all a reality.
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

I am so happy that my husband, Ron, and I attended the convention because we had a wonderful time!  I thought I would share with you all some of the things that made our trip remorable.

At the Meet and Greet on Monday:
  Hugs from Wanda (Joyful Friend) and Pam (Hcd13) like we’ve been friends forever. 
  Sticking my foot in my mouth telling Kathy (Redkat) she is prettier in person than her LDL picture – but then her LDL picture doesn’t do her justice!
  Meeting Wanda’s daughter, Lou Ann (Country Girl), Kathy’s daughter, Tara (Scarlett859), and mother, daughter team of Dawn (Snoopy) and Donna (Clown Lady).
  Mary (Little Mary) is just as sweet as she sounds on the boards.  Her mother, who speaks with a marvelous British accent, is a warm, lovely person who kept me wanting to hear more about her teaching experiences.
  Pam and her husband, David, make the most fantastic and original jewelry I’ve ever seen.
  Julie (LovinLDL) bringing her laptop and hooking us up to LDLrs who couldn’t be with us.
  Ginny (Ginny M) arriving late due to a hugh mix up with her airplane connection.  She didn’t even check into the hotel until after our meet and greet because she so didn’t want to miss any more than she had.
  Rhonda (Crickadoodle) and her mother, who has the most wonderful Cajun accent, and seeing how much they love and care for each other.
  Trish (Trish) came all the way from Michigan alone.  So did Ginny (from Florida) and they bunked together.  It was nice that they had each other to share SA with.

At Julie’s house on Tuesday:
  Walking into Julie’s lovely home and seeing her oldest son, Mark, grilling the steak and chicken for the fajitas.  Everyone, in their own way, helped get lunch on the table and clean up afterwards.  The food was fantastic and the camaraderie was uplifting.
  Julie’s daughter, Madeline, entertained us during lunch with beautiful harp music.  She is quite an accomplished musician.  Julie’s youngest daughter, Marcie Grace, told me she helped pick the wild flowers for the table settings that Julie’s girls set up.  The tables reflected the cowboy theme and would have won a blue ribbon at a county fair!
  Harrison (Mary’s son) and Julie’s sons, Colin and David, tromping through the hill country together and getting along great.  Friends forever?
  Seeing the beautiful, unique quilt wall hanging that was presented to Roger even though he couldn’t accept it in person.  Kudos to everyone who donated fabric or quilt squares and a special hug for Donna for putting it all together.
  Dawn (Snoopy) painted clothes pin to resemble fruit and each one of us got one as a remembrance.  I’ll think of her each time I use mine to close my corn thin bag. Each one of us also received a crocheted dish cloth and water bottle cozies that someone (can’t remember who) made.  Many thanks!!
  There were so many memorable moments that I could go on and on and other attendees that left impressions on me but again too many to mention. All in all, I’ll have lasting memories of our first convention.  I am looking forward to our next one.  I vote for Key West!!
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Vicky, I think you had great perspectives on all.  Trish is from New Jersey--I think---You and Ron are so delightful and your love story is one that should have been shared with all there.  I told Julie that I was going to copy her decorating ideas.  We love country living even though I'm in the city now.  Country Girl has our farm.  I am hosting my grandson's  family shower so may use them then.  I can't wait to do the fruit water--I am doing it Sunday.  I loved it-how it looked and tasted.  Never lemon alone.  I loved your small size, and how nice Ron looked.  Brandon and wife were so kind.  I also told Kathy, (Redcat) that she was a big surprise and her daughter Tara, wow!!!  I love my dish cloth.  Thanks.  The wall hanging that Donna put together was beautiful, and Snoopy has energy flowing from her. Those clothespins were creative. Thanks. Trish, Ginny, and Pam were so enjoyable. Elizabeth had such a warm nature, no wonder Mary has a nice smile. Crick and her mother display well --Mother and daughter.  I saw them on the boat on the Riverwalk, and the delightful expression on Mother's face--Crick, you are such a loving daughter. When I walked in and saw you( Vicky) and Mark working on the meat was wonderful feeling.  Then Clownlady came, and she had restaurant training and skills.  You were so busy with the cleanup.  I noticed Country Girl was good at that as well.  I sorta felt like I was being served, so I decided to enjoy  the leisure time---the old expression, "Too many cooks destroyed the porridge" is true.  Thanks and  *hug* *hug* to all. I want Key West as well. Joyful Friend
Sneaky Snoopy
Master Member

Post by Sneaky Snoopy »

I also would like to thank everyone who came out to the first LDL convention.  It is such a spirit booster to see people in person in all of their different stages of weight loss, many at goal or better.  Julie thanks for opening your beautiful home to us and prepairing such a wonderful meal.  Your family is so lovely.  I loved the Bambi Chili  :tongue: and the Jalapeno humus.  I look forward to the next convention and meeting more LDLers.  Key West sounds great. 

I would like to thank those of you who brought clothes for the exchange.  I liked this idea.  I now have a pair of jeans that I look forward to fitting into (size 10) Thanks,Tara.  It wont be long, summer I hope.  Next year I'm going to bring a good condition purse or two for the swap, for those who are already at their goal skinny self.  They always fit.

Roger - It would have been perfect with you but now I look forward to the 2nd LDL Retreat 2011!  I wish you a speedy recovery.  Thank you again for writing LDL and sharing it with the world.  Many many THANKS.

Snoopy, (Dawn)