March 2010 LDL convention in Texas!

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Re: March 2010 LDL convention in Texas!

Post by wendysgoodnews »

I loved looking that the great photos.  You all look like you were having such a nice time.  How refreshing to see all those beautiful children in the pictures having fun also.
Eljayne
Master Member

Post by Eljayne »

I am saving my money and budgeting my time!!!! Bethann, how far up north is WAY UP NORTH?  I'm in Central MN.  ELj
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Just thinking about all the new friends I'll get to meet.  Gwen, you have such a sweet attitude.  We all need to save our money for the trip, and then shop for airline tickets.  I'm sooo excited.  JF 
Country Girl

Post by Country Girl »

Brandon - The pictures are very nice.  Thanks for taking the time to post them for all of us to look at! 

I also want to add my 2 cents about the get together in Texas.  It was wonderful.  It was so great to meet everyone that was there.  The hospitality shown by Julie and her family was amazing.  Everything Mary did to get things to turn out so well, was also greatly appreciated.  So ---another big thank you to everyone!  I hope a lot more people will be able to come to the next event.  It was great for me to have the time to spend with my mom (Joyful Friend).  We had a blast together.

I'm looking forward to 2011!

Country Girl
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Yes, Brandon, thanks for posting the pictures.  I love that group picture Madeline took for you, with all of us together.  It came out especially nice.  Thanks, Madeline for taking the picture. 

Hope to make it to the next convention.
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Eljayne wrote:I am saving my money and budgeting my time!!!! Bethann, how far up north is WAY UP NORTH?  I'm in Central MN.  ELj

Her profile sez Ontario.  I'd say that qualifies as "way up"!

I'm looking forward to reading what everyone did, where you went, what you saw, where you stayed, what you ate, the whole thing - so I can experience the event through your eyes.

Brandon's picture of the small table with the snacks and two big jars of beverage.  Was one jar the fruit water I read about? What was in it? It looks so refreshing.  That picture seriously needs to be in the next book, RT.  Or, better yet - on the home page!
Last edited by Gwennaford on April 5th, 2010, 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
LovinLDL

Post by LovinLDL »

Gwen, One really neat thing that my family is still experiencing...repeating the stories...Like when we had RT on speaker phone (there is a picture of me holding the phone) and I was talking about how there were folks there who had been on LDL a while and some for not as long, then a person, who will remain annonymous, said "and some not at all" (at this point my girls, who usually tell the story, do their best English accent and we all lol:-).

Fruit Water...RO filtered water from our well and sliced fruit (oranges, strawberries, and lemon I think...grapes floated and it didn't look purdy so I think I took them out). I put it outside when I set the tea out to brew in the sun...only the water filter tank kept emptying so I didn't have the jars full early morning when I set them out...added  more throughout the morning so that the first water out might have been less fruity than the bottom (unless someone mixed it). Some dear soul/souls (can't remember who because everyone helped so much) helped me continue to add water throughout the party.  

A funny thing..we had huge "Texas Sized" spoons for the chili.  All the flatware was my friend Carol's (so nobody think I stole that piece that had "The Drake" on it ok?"...she is an antique dealer and I'm sure came by it honest:-)

Oh, one other cool thing.  I was pretty stressed about serving chili in plastic/styrofoam bowls and couldn't find paper ones...didn't have thirty matching non-throw aways.  So, again, my friend found the bowls we used at the dollar store for 2/dollar.  I liked them so much I bought 50 of each bowls and matching plates that I don't have to feel bad about the kids breaking.  It was such a blessing to do real plates, bowls and silverware because it was quite windy.  If we did paper we would have had to move everything inside from the upper deck for sure.  Another note about the bowls...I couldn't get the tags off easily so I did a quick wash leaving them on.  Then, someone (or a number of people) rinsed them after we ate and I made a comment about the tags when I found out someone was rinsing...something like "oh, the tags are still on...I just washed and left on" and there was a comment about how it would be even harder to get those stickers off after washing (not offensive at all because it was in that endearing English accent:-). Anyway, it wasn't hard to get them off after they went through the dishwasher and I found out that the plates and bowls were originally sold by Ikea (that's what was on the plate under the tag) and seemingly worth much more than I spent.

Anyway, this is much more fun and maybe more therapeutic for me than responding to your PM just yet Gwen...Thanks for asking about SA stuff in this thread and the other in PM (which you can find the cliff notes for in Prayer requests).

Love Y'all,
Julie
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Julie - your post made me smile all the way through.  What a blessing finding all those dishes at the dollar store!!!  I know, it's totally not necessary to have matching dishes... it adds to the country ambiance and all that ...  but I really, really like it when I can serve everyone from matching dishes.  Glad it's not just me.

We have a new RO unit, too, so I understand.  It takes a long time to catch up.  It bugs me that it dumps more water than it makes.  Plumber said it's because our city water is so bad that it can't filter it fast enough.  Not sure I understand all I know about it.  Sure wish I could direct all that wasted water onto the yard, instead of down the drain while it's filling the tank. 

Don't worry about answering the PM.  I'll go read the prayer requests.

Gwen
ImageImage
LovinLDL

Post by LovinLDL »

marysimmons wrote:
Now if only your daughters could have been in the car with us on our way back from San Antonio to Houston. They'd have had a real hoot. 

I actually thought of offering Mark and the girls (when Mark has his full driver's license) to drive her back and forth to her friend's in Burnett (oh, then there is the story of Marcie calling it Boerne, because we go there all the time, and your mom trying to help her know it was "Burnett not Boerne.") whenever she needs, even before I read this.  My girls especially would LOVE this.....but then we would either have to keep it from Marcie or let her go with because, like I said, she is HER close friend:-)  As a matter of fact, Marcie wants that picture of her and your mom in HER room:-)  Anyway, I am sure between your mom and Marcie they could have that GPS working the way they want (which certainly would NOT be the way the manufacturer intended:-) 

Also, the girls think we should find out the way to officially change the name of Red Buds to "PURple" Buds in your mom's honor.

Yes, a great day!

Julie
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

If I COULD get on the floor, I would be ROFL right now.  Actually, the getting down is easy, but the getting up is more problematic.   :wrong:   haha

The thought of Mary's drive back to Houston gave me a bit of headache.  What a riot!  What I wouldn't give to see the Marcie Grace, Paul, Iris and Elizabeth comedy hour.  Maybe they can go on tour?!
ImageImage
redkat

Post by redkat »

Hi all,

Just a moment for a quick post.  I've been really busy since returning from SA.  I had such a wonderful time.  Thank you so much Julie and family for your hospitality.  It was a most enjoyable day, and the food was delicious.  Also Mary and Julie for the meet and greet in SA.  Again, delicious dips/spreads.  All of your hard work is certainly appreciated.

To all of my fellow LDL'ers, it was so nice to meet you all finally (and Crick, to see you again).  I am so looking forward to next year in Key West and the opportunity to meet even more of you.

After reading the posts by others about the events, I am thinking I need to rethink the picture I posted!! LOL  Guess I'll have to be on the lookout for a picture that those flattering coments will do justice to!

Have a great day all,
Kathy
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Oh, Julie, I've always wondered about why they called them "red" buds too!   :D

Mary, your mom's accent is delightful.  I now know how to pronounce "Bath!"   :D  I even told my mom that I had to take a bath (said with a British accent and pronunciation.)  

What fun memories we have from our trip!   So glad we went.  Now, I'll need to find a way to make it to Key West.  
Sneaky Snoopy
Master Member

Post by Sneaky Snoopy »

I look forward to Key West.  Maybe I can convince my DH to come along with me too.  I will bring more clothes pins for those who needs them.  *woot*  I should be at my goal for Key West.  I so look forward to next year.  This was a great experience.  San Antonio was so beautiful.  This was my first time there and I want to take my DH there for our Anniversy this year.  *love*  :inlove:  It will be 20 years in October.
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Yes, Redcat, get your beautiful face on the board.  Redbuds were named because of Judas; The legend says they were  growing on the hill where he hanged himself, and his blood splattered on them.  They are more purple.  Coming down the road to Julie's home, we were looking for a pink playhouse, and I said, ."I see it", but it was a short redbud tree.  We both had a laugh at my hallucinations.  We also had fun with our GPS.  It was a fun time. Snoopy, we always try to have memorable honeymoons on anniversaries. SA is a romantic town for your 20th. I think Country Girl will want to go back there.    Just think most of the ones that were in SA should be at goal in Nov, 2011.  Country Girl was  so slim throughout her teen years. I never once thought she would ever have my problem. After every child,  she added more lbs. Now LDL.  What a blessing it is for us both.  *hug* *hug* JF   
Bethann
Master Member

Post by Bethann »

Snoopy, Congratulations! :rose:  :rose:
20th anniversary! That is so wonderful!  :)
Have a marvellous time celebrating!  :rose:
Last edited by Bethann on April 7th, 2010, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sneaky Snoopy
Master Member

Post by Sneaky Snoopy »

Bethann, It is still 6 mo away but when we celebrate, we do it for weeks.  *love* :inlove: *woot*
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

LOL -- Snoopy, we are so spread out, that's how we have to do birthdays in my family.  Works out great for the birthday person -- they get celebrated all week long!
ImageImage