German cook needs help!

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
MusicManiac

German cook needs help!

Post by MusicManiac »

Is there any German food without flour, potatoes, or beer?  We've been LDLing for a week and hubby wants Schnitzel and Spatzle.  Are Rouladen and Sauerbraten okay?  Any ideas???

marga
MusicManiac

Re: German cook needs help!

Post by MusicManiac »

Well, the Schnitzel is pounded veal (I would use chicken) which is breaded and pan fried.  If I can find the corn thins, maybe I could try a baked version.  Unfortunately, the Spatzle is flour, egg, salt, and milk (and maybe, nutmeg) which is pressed into boiling water (with a Spatzle press or a colander.)  I'm not going to experiment too much in the first month.  I want to give this an honest try, first!

I was thinking about making "potato" dumplings.  Maybe Bill would let me modify the mashed "potato" recipe and put in an egg instead of the chicken broth.  I don't know if this would hold together long enough to drop into the boiling water, but, hey - I'll give it a try!

By the way (yeah, I know - kill the scale), my hubby lost a pound the first week and I lost 3.  We're liking this!

marga
RB Kayaking
Master Member

Post by RB Kayaking »

Marga,

We have the best German resturant in Central Florida (voted the best every year since I've been here) just a short half mile walk from home.  So needless to say we walk there when I want German food. 

Post your most favorite recipes and let the food police have at them.  Maybe you could try hot german potatoe salad using lima beans.  Humm, that sounds interesting.  There is garbanzo bean flour that you could use to bread the meats--then bake them instead of sauting them.  As for the yummy sausages--try a ground turkey lean hamburger mixture and then add in what would be German flavors.  Probably would need to sit over night for the flavors to intensify.

Hope this gives you a start--cause I'm wanting to go for a half mile walk--good thing it's starting to thunder!

RB Kayaking
yoyodieter

Post by yoyodieter »

Hello there !!
Rouladen should be fine, make sure that the gravy is low fat and only put a gherkin in the roll! You could thicken the gravy with a tiny bit of corn starch. Make some" mashed potatos " with cooked/mashed cauliflower/ S+P and some nutmeg. Have some Sauerkraut or " Rotkohl" with that.
The Sauerbraten should be OK, use Splenda instead of sugar- use a lean piece of meat.
The Schnitzel could be turned in egg beaters and then dipped in cornmeal and put in the pan with some olive oil PAM. ?
Give this a try
Good Luck
Giesela :D
Clown Lady
Master Member

Post by Clown Lady »

My husband doesn't need LDL.  He is learning to eat some of the things I eat but some evenings I cook him his meal and I fix what I want.  He works really hard and needs more to eat than I do.  I don't find it a problem. 
Donna
http://boards.letsdolunch.com/boards/ga ... _33_10.jpg
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wS4gwd3/]
MusicManiac

Post by MusicManiac »

Thanks!

My hubby could stand to lose 15 pounds or so.  He's eating pretty much what I eat (except for his beer).

I'm thinking that I could try some of his favorites, occasionally - like on some Sundays.  So far, he hasn't really complained.  He likes fish and chicken, so it makes my "job" easier!

Of course, eating earlier in the day is really helping him to sleep better, yippee!!!

Marga
czech

Post by czech »

Hi,
I am Czech, so I know what you are talking about. I think rouladen (one of my favorites) would be Ok if you don't use the bacon. Normaly I stuff the rouladen with pickle, carrot, onion and bacon. Since you can not use fluor the gravy would be thinner but you can reduce it by cooking it slowly after the rouladen is done. Hope this help.
MusicManiac

Post by MusicManiac »

Thanks!  I'll be trying it without the bacon.  I'm sure it'll be great!  I know my hubby will appreciate it.

I'll try to post some of my other recipes to see what you can help me with.

Thanks again!
Marga
turkkm
Master Member

Post by turkkm »

Hi Margo, I can't remember if I welcomed you to LDL or not.  Anyway, I know nothing about German food, so no help there.  But, I am good at cheering people on! So, you and your hubby just keep up the good work!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageFor we walk by faith, not by sight.
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

My mother-in-law is from Germany. This is something my husband found on the Food Network and then tweaked it to be LDL friendly so that I could enjoy it as well as his mother.

"Mockbraten (Flank Steak with Sauerbraten Style Sauce), Smashed Potatoes with Horseradish and Chives, Red Cabbage with Apple and Onions"

I'm not going to post the ingredients and directions here because it's too long. Just type the name in the "Search" and it'll come up.

CQ
MusicManiac

Post by MusicManiac »

Thanks!

I'm going to look it up right now!!!!
ChrissyV

Post by ChrissyV »

Moin moin, means hello... :)
There are alot of different ways of doing Rouladen.
you can use chicken or veal for it too. Instead of the baconstuff in there you can use horseradish.
and for thicken up anything don't use starch i am using something like carob..
Spätzle without flour...forget it  :bomb:
MusicManiac

Post by MusicManiac »

I'm thinking of trying it with popcorn flour.  I don't want to try this until I'm pretty well established with LDL, though.

Thanks again for your recipe - you are the best!
Marga
ChrissyV

Post by ChrissyV »

Hi Musicmaniac,
i just found that recipe for Spätzle.
I am going to translate and convert it later on today...
Chrissy

Die Kichererbsenspätzle mache ich so:

300 g Kichererbsenmehl mit 3 großen Eiern und ca. 12 EL Wasser verrühren, so dass ein zäher Teig entsteht.

Den Teig durch einen Spätzlehobel (Spätzle vom Brett schaben kann ich leider nicht )in kochendes Salzwasser drücken und etwa 1 min. köcheln, bis die Spätzle hochsteigen.

In Butter anbraten und servieren. Lecker auch als Käsespätzle mit viel geriebenem Käse und gerösteten Zwiebeln .

Viel Spaß beim Ausprobieren!