Help...I want sugar free yogurt...

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
ChrissyV

Help...I want sugar free yogurt...

Post by ChrissyV »

i don't know if i can use this yogurt on LDL but it is a homemade sugar-free yogurt.
I need some input on that one because i like to use it for my dressings...

i use:
1 quart Milk or a little over 4 cups...
4 Tbs. organic yogurt

Bring the milk to a boil, remove from the stove and let cool down till lukewarm.
The temperature should not be higher than 97°F otherwise the lactobacillus will die.
Put the 4 tbs.yogurt in a bowl and mix in a couple tbs of the milk till creamy.
Slowly mix in the rest of the milk.

Pour it into a the glasses of a yogurtmaker and let in there for at least 24 hrs and up to 36 hrs.

The lactobacillus needs 24 hrs to fully "eat up" the lactose/Milksugar..

I never made it with fat-free milk ( cos we don't get any Nonfat Items in germany) but with skim milk..came out great
isthis4me

Re: Help...I want sugar free yogurt...

Post by isthis4me »

:stop: sorry milk is a no no, we really try and steer clear of all dairy, this includes yogurt
altho I admit once in a blue moon I use fage greek or the other greek( my mind is failin me now) but this again is once in a blue moon
~*~Angel of God, my guardian dear to whom God's love commits me here. Ever this day/night be at my side to light, to guard, to rule and guide.
Amen. ~*~Image
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

I wouldn't say "all dairy is illegal" because even some of our favorite soups have milk in them.  The main thing is using skim milk (which, by the way, Shawnee, IS fat free....skim means all the fat has been removed) and using it in moderation.

Shawnee, can you tell us about the dressing?  What else does it contain, and how much of it is the yogurt?  If it's only part of the dressing, and  you're not eating dressing by the bowlful itself, I can't see that it would be a problem.

You're making your own yogurt, so you control the ingredients...great!  You're using skim milk and you said it worked fine....Great!  AND, if you read about "the yogurt exception," you'll learn that when the yogurt cultures, some of the natural sugar in the milk is "eaten" by the lactobaccillus, so it no longer bioavailable....can't be "counted" if we were even counting, which we're not.

Roger Troy believes that dairy is fattening, period, but LF or FF is legal in small doses occasionally...I think using fat free homemade yogurt as one ingredient in your dressing probably within LDL limits.  (unless your dressing is half honey ;) )
isthis4me

Post by isthis4me »

:wrong: I didnt say it was illegal, I stated we try to steer clear of dairy

that said, here is a link that RT approves of for making LDL yogurt

http://www.letsdolunch.com/boards/index ... pic=1140.0
~*~Angel of God, my guardian dear to whom God's love commits me here. Ever this day/night be at my side to light, to guard, to rule and guide.
Amen. ~*~Image
ChrissyV

Post by ChrissyV »

oh wow...i can't wait to get my book... :'(
i have to learn alot...
I think my problem is that i was tooooooo long on the low-carb-trip...
you know, i like just putting some yogurt with lemonjuice and some sweetener over my salad.
you don't get any fat-free food here in germany...and the Greek yogurt here has like 20% Fat and than you eat that with honey on top... :shock:
Looks like i have to figure something out to get my yogurt-lemon-dressing...
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

Shawnee,

Just check the label on your skim milk....I'm pretty sure you'll find that it IS fat free....that's the definition of Skim in the U.S.  I presume it would be the same in Europe.

If you're using just one or two tablespoons of your homemade skim milk yogurt, adding your own lemon juice and sweetener, and eating that just a couple times a week, I expect that would be OK.

What you might try is NOT eating any yogurt for a few weeks.  Eat as "pure" LDL as you can.  Then add the yogurt dressing back into your days, a few times a week, and see if it affects you.  Cravings, weight gain...any bad reaction would tell you that yogurt isn't a good idea.  You have to make that choice yourself.