How to stay on LDL while traveling.

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
jabrit

How to stay on LDL while traveling.

Post by jabrit »

Hello All:

I wonder if you have any information on what I can eat when I'm traveling. Sometimes I'm traveling all day, and don't have the chance to cook something.  I've tried just eating the fruit, but it doesn't sustain me for an entire day.  Any advice?

Joan     
Clown Lady
Master Member

Re: How to stay on LDL while traveling.

Post by Clown Lady »

Joan  Welcome to LDL
My daughter tells me to always be prepared.  I sell at a farmers market which puts me out early until a late lunch.  I now carry the foil packets of tuna with me.  You can pick up a salad and add the tuna to it and eat some corn thins.  If you can't get them locally try amazon.com  I always have a popped zipped bag of popcorn for my snack when ever.  It is a free all day long if needed.  Take along a little dinner bucket with LDL friendly food in it.  If the is a will there is a way.
Hope this helps
Donna
http://boards.letsdolunch.com/boards/ga ... _33_10.jpg
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wS4gwd3/]
powder99

Post by powder99 »

jabrit wrote:Hello All:

I wonder if you have any information on what I can eat when I'm traveling. Sometimes I'm traveling all day, and don't have the chance to cook something.  I've tried just eating the fruit, but it doesn't sustain me for an entire day.  Any advice?

Joan     

Hi Joan
I started my diet and then went on the road shortly thereafter. Normally, being on the road is never easy compared to being at home. One thing I do is stop at a big Safeway type store and get sliced roast beef or chicken. I get a can of beans and then eat half the beans and the beef. Not too bad. I get around 125 grams (4-5 oz in American) of beef.
Normally, if I prep at home, I will make a chicken salad with veggies and add a half can of beans. As long as it is kept reasonably cool, it should be ok. If I was screaming desperate, I would just get a can of beans and eat them till my body says, "Enough is enough."
Welcome to the world of LDL.
Jim
We could easily call this the "Boy Scout" or "Girl Guide" in your case as "always be prepared" is essential. I did eat some chicken that I had ripped the skin off but it did not feel that healthy compared to what I normally eat so I was not too pleased with the choice but when you have to eat, you have eat.
jabrit

Post by jabrit »

Thanks for the information Donna and Jim (I think it's Jim), there's some really good advice there.  It's funny, when we're new to something, we tend to think that we're the only ones to encounter these kinds of problems.  It's nice to know that you've been through it too.  I stopped at a Subway the other day, and I know the sensible thing to do was to throw away at least half of the bread, but I was so far gone by the time I stopped, I ate both sides.  I won't have much success if I keep doing things like that.  Your advice to always have something on hand, or to stop at a supermarket for a healthier quick fix, made a lot of sense. I know it will all be second nature to me one day, but right now, I still struggle with the simplest things.  I intend to make this way of eating a definite lifestyle change, not just for the weight loss, but for the way it's made me feel so far.  I hope to talk to you again and again, and I thank you for your support.

Joan
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

I traveled all summer, and I had to eat in restraurants-many times in groups-food already ordered.  I ate salads, asked for vinegar and oil-added sweetener and salt.  I ordered tuna,  salmon, or other fish-asked for grilled veggies.  For breakfast, the buffets had tons of fruit.  I always carried soy nuts and raisins. Wendy's chilly works.  Grilled chicken.  Subway has lovely salads-ask for double grilled chicken.    I stopped and shopped for fruit. I came home smaller than before I left.  I've never been a big bread eater except for cornbread,(love cornbread and milk) so maybe it is easier for  me to do ldl because I love fruit and veggies, but deprived myself of beans, corn, and peas.  Now I can splurge and still loose weight.  What a blessing!    Forever Friend 
jabrit

Post by jabrit »

Wow, what an interesting post.  Thank you so much for your advice and tips on what to order.  It's hard to believe isn't it that you would come home from your trip smaller than when you left.  What a great plan this is.  Thanks again.

Joan
Sneaky Snoopy
Master Member

Post by Sneaky Snoopy »

Joan,
I love bread and thought I could never live with out it, potatoes too.  I would tell you to find your weakness.. and always have something in your car that is LDL approved to counter it.  For me I would be lost with out my Corn Thins, AKA - pizza holders, bean scoops, salad pushers. . . well you get the picture.  I always ask my self why am I craving certain foods, and it is usually the stuff/seasoning that i put on those foods.  Currently I crave a lot of salt.  It's a life long habit.   
Welcome to a new WOE.
Dawn
Clown Lady
Master Member

Post by Clown Lady »

Joan
Subway has really good salads.  I had one just the other day.  We had a new subway open up and my DH just had to try it.  I order grilled chicken it was okay had better but okay and when it came to the other ingredients it was fun.  A little of this and a little of that.  Dressing on the side.  I had them put on as much of each thing as I wanted.  I would say alot more  or not so much.  It was yummy
Donna
http://boards.letsdolunch.com/boards/ga ... _33_10.jpg
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wS4gwd3/]
Andrea In FL
New, but learning

Post by Andrea In FL »

I'm really looking forward to going away on Thursday, on a 4 night cruise, with many other singles.  I'm trying to plan an eating strategy before I go, so I don't  have to think too much (LOL) once I'm there.  I know there will be lots of fresh fruit, which I love. I will also be picky and tell the waiter exactly how I want some of my foods prepared (such as broiling or baking with no butter - lemon instead, etc.). 

The one thing I am concerned about is that our dinnner will be the late seating, so food won't be served before 8:00 pm.    I hate eating too much that late, but at the same time I want to be able to enjoy certain foods. 

Any suggestions will be gratefully appreciated  :angel:
Gratefully losing
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

What fun you are going to have!!! Wish I were going with you.  You are right in preplanning because I'm convinced that right eating starts in our heads, not our stomachs.  Even though you may have the late seating, you can choose wisely from the menu.  I've done several cruises and if I remember correctly, there are several choices in each course.  You can even ask for a plate of fresh fruit even though it is not on the menu.  They always try to please.  You will do well.  Maintain your weight is what you want and just maybe you will come off the cruise even smaller.  With the LDL eating, you will never be hungry--Just remember CHOOSE WELL Have fun and enjoy your friends.  Joyful Friend
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Andrea,

Most cruise ships have two dinner schedules unless they can seat everyone at once. The first is usually around 6 - 6:30 pm (this is the one that most families with small children choose) and the second is around 8 - 8:30 pm. You do have a choice between the two.

If there are any dietary request then you'll have to notify the cruise line in advance (not the waiter).

Some of the cruise ships have an ala carte dining room where you can have dinner at any time; other dining rooms that either have an Italian, Chinese, Japanese, etc. theme going on or a buffet version of their dinner menu. (This might be an alternative for you)

Happy Cruising,

CQ
Andrea In FL
New, but learning

Post by Andrea In FL »

Thanks so much Joyful and CQ.  I appreciate your input and yes, I am determined to eat healthy and enjoy the good food.  :rose:
Gratefully losing
Ginny M.
Master Member

Post by Ginny M. »

Jabrit,  Welcome to LDL.  :D  You didn't say what kind of traveling you do.  Is it just daytime?  Do you stay away overnight? 

Any restaurant that has a salad bar will do.  Besides salad they usually have a bean salad (blot the oil) or at least beans you can put on your salad.  Also, you might want to check the internet for places such as Old Country Buffet, Ryans, Fire Mountain, etc. where it is basically all-you-can-eat.  They have everything, including meats grilled or baked, chicken, fish, salads, fruits, etc.  Just blot the grease/oils and all dressings/condiments on the side.  They usually have plenty of corn & beans. 

If you are eating basically "in your car" keep popcorn thins, popped corn, you can take fresh fruits, a samll cooler with an ice pack can hold veggies, dip, meats, dressings, condiments, etc.

Anyway, you can make it work with a little pre-preparation and a WILL!  ;D

Good luck and keep us posted on what you are doing.

*hug*
Ginny