The Express Train: Maximizing your results!

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
Kathie

Re: The Express Train: Maximizing your results!

Post by Kathie »

*love* Still on the train with you all.. and its going along just fine I think.  
B..Smoothie
L..Last of lentil soup with Turkey
D.Grapes and a banana
You all really are doing so great... I cant wait till I really start loosing and seeing if anyone notices.
Have a good night!
Kathie K in Fl.
[
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Hey, Kathie, good to see your post.  Looks like you're on board and doing well.

Today is the end of my first week back on the Express Train and I can report a loss of 3 1/2 lbs.  Now that is the most I've ever lost in a week since I started following it so carefully.  My ticker says I only have 6.5 lbs. to go to reach my goal.  Can you believe that?  Thank You, Jesus, for leading me to LDL.  It really is an awesome way of eating.  I love the food I eat and taste it and enjoy it.  When you are bound by cravings, you don't really taste your food.  I enjoy the smell of it cooking and the whole experience.  I wish I could help people understand that when they are thinking about joining us on LDL.

Now, I was able to wake up before my husband this morning and we went to bed early enough to get a good night's sleep and get up early.  I put the beans I'd soaked overnight on the stove to begin cooking.  I had a nice quiet time with the Lord and heard my husband's alarm go off, so I got his coffee just like he likes it.  Then I read some from a book I'm studying called Captivating--Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul.  Then I got to chopping onions, carrots and celery for my delicious bean soup -- along the lines of Niki's Favorite Bean Soup.  It is so good.  I vary it every week with the beans I use, but it is just so hearty and delicious.  I make a double recipe so I can share with friends.  That's a lot of chopping.  I should use my food processor, but something about being hands on is better to me.  I chopped over 3lbs. of onions, 2 lbs. of carrots and a whole bunch of celery for the soup!  You put chili powder and cumin (she also calls for oregano, but I just usually put the others).  You saute the veggies in evoo (extra virgin olive oil for newbies) and add to the beans.  After the beans have cooked long enough to make them soft enough, then you add 2 28 oz. cans of crushed tomatoes.  Now that's for my double recipe.  If you've had trouble cooking beans, it could be that you've put tomato in with them before they are cooked enough.  The tomato prevents the beans from softening and you'll have hard beans.  Oh, I use 3 lbs. of beans for my doubled recipe.  Black beans should be one of the beans.  Today's version has chick peas, black beans and a 16 bean mix someone gave me as a gift.  My kitchen smells so good!

I was able to make the beds, sweep the floors and I'm dreassed to go for my walk and it is only 9 AM.  That and I have already cooked my soup for the week. 

Well, I haven't eaten breakfast yet, because I do that after walking.  I'm hoping to do the Total Gym today.  It isn't hard and I don't know why I'm resisting getting started again.  I guess going on vacation got me out of the habit.

Everyone have a great day.
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Doodlebug, Congratulations!  :thumbsup:  You did awesome. I am particularly happy to see that it is possible to continue to lose weight at a steady pace when you are so close to goal.  *hug*  It gives everyone a new way to write their story. I believe that so much of what we achieve has to do with our beliefs like "MY whole family is over weight so I will be overweight too!"  These things are conditioning.  And we can change a lot with the right tools and LDL h as given us that.  You're almost there!  EEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK! :shock:

Hi CQ, 
I don;t know if you are eating enough but if you are not hungry then I guess you are ok. We don't report quantities and don;t need to, so it is for you to decide.

You mentioned on another thread about what the ingredients were in the Chicken Broth. I have to say, I am stunned at what all they put in there. I thought I was so lucky to have found low sodium ff chicken broth that I forgot to check the ingredients - DUH!  :poo:  :blink:  *lipssealed*  I am so mad right now. It is loaded with the bad stuff you mentioned like dextrose and MSG (which I have avoided religiously all my life). I thought there was something wrong with me that I couldn;t eat soup. In fact the only soup that my body was ok with was Mary's Pizza Soup. Now I realize that it was bc there is no stock in it. Thanks again CQ  *hug*  for your knowledge and wisdom and for taking the time to help us all understand what dangers lurk beneath the surface - Yeesh!

Hey Joyful, Sounds like you are doing really well with this. My food quantities vary a lot from day to day.  I just try to listen to my body. If my  hunger seems to be out of control, I do a fruit and soup flush and that does the trick.  :thumbsup:

Kathie,  People will notice. I am not sure how much you have to lose but I probably dropped almost 40 lbs before people really took notice. It will happen. And when it does, it will feel so good!  ;)

Have a great week everyone!

Julie :rose:
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

The last time I used chicken broth, I just made my own from scratch.  It was easy, really.  I bought some chicken breasts not long ago with the bones still in them.  It was an accident, but I realized I could save the bones and make a broth with them later.  I still have that in the freezer.  I make the bean soup  "Niki's favorite" and it needs no broth because of the black beans.  It is delicious without a broth.  I think this is also a reason I make this one the most. 
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Joyful Friend wrote:CQ, I think we will see Fla go all the way.  Surely love watching them.  You don't eat much.  I guess our bodies are so different. 

Joyful Friend, thanks for the concern but you haven't seen this Cajun put away the groceries... :laughing: I had told Julie that she needs to see how big my breakfast bowl is for my fruit. Also, the pig was freshly butchered by my DH who raises pigs so I definitely ate till I was about to POP! I don't think I could have ate another bite of fruit for dinner if I wanted to..

I hope FL goes all the way. I was born and raised in Gator Country. In fact, my brother has a signed helmet on his coffee table as a conversation piece.

Crickadoodle, is Niki's recipe on the boards? She always comes up with really tasty stuff. I love her hummus recipes.

Also, Homemade chicken stock is very easy to make..I just haven't taken the time to do it. I know the organic stuff isn't cheap but when I add up the cost of all the ice cream, candy bars, etc. that I use to buy I'm still coming out ahead.

CQ
Bethann
Master Member

Post by Bethann »

That is so amazing, Crickadoodle! 6.5 lbs to go! Inspiring!  :rose:

Where would I find the recipe for this wonderful soup you have been making? Similar to Nicki's Favourite Bean Soup.

Also when I have made broth it doesn't have much flavour - any advise you can give me?

Bethann
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Bethann,

This is the recipe I use and my husband prefers it to any store bought brand.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina- ... index.html

CQ
Eljayne
Master Member

Post by Eljayne »

You are all doing so well on the Express Train and I'm so happy to have made the comittment to join you. Today was my first day and so far I've done well.

Exercise - 20 minutes of stretching, ball exercise, exercise bike combined. I'm having some hip pain so am a bit limited right now but if the rain ever stops I'll be able to do more.

B: Banana and red pear, coffee
L: sirloin steak w/green peppers, onions, mushrooms, salad with ff Italian dressing on the side, popcorn, water
S: Grape/peach and banana smoothie, roasted red pepper/garlic & tomato soup, coffee
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Niki's favorite bean soup:      http://www.letsdolunch.com/boards/index ... 84.0 

*love*  I love it and this one came out the best yet.  I think I let the beans cook a little longer, although I always cook them long.  Maybe I had more water than usual.  It is just so good.  Kind of a cross between minestrone and chili.  I have a bowl everyday with lunch.  I miss it when I don't have it. 
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

crickadoodle,

Thanks for posting Niki's recipe. I'll have to try it this weekend.

My menu for the day:

Breakfast    Mixed fruit

Lunch        Soup with ground sirloin and salad

Dinner        Pineapple and grapes

Exercise    Stationary bike while watching TV

CQ
Last edited by CodingQueen on October 26th, 2009, 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

She doesn't specify amounts for the spices.  I put a lot of chili powder and cumin -- over a tablespoon of each and more of the chili powder than the cumin.  I don't even put the oregano, except if I go in the back yard and get it fresh from my herb garden.  Sometimes I'm too lazy to go and get it.  If it was dried in a bottle in my cabinet, I'd probably throw it in.  :laughing:  I never add salt until I take some out for friends, so they can put the amount they want. 

I wish I could share some of mine with you.  It really is so satisfying.
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Week 2
Saturday: 45 minutes  :thumbsup:
Sunday:   60 minutes  :thumbsup:
Monday:   40 minutes  :thumbsup:

Keeping up with the exercise - yeah!

El, good for you on the exercise - way to go!  Why do you have hip pain - if it's not too personal?  Is it inflammation? If it is maybe you could ask your doctor about eating more alkaline foods. That could really help.  Just a thought!

Doodle - thanks for the link to the recipe. I will try it tonight.
I am going to stay away from anything with Chicken broth and I have to figure out what to do with all those cans of MSG !%&*?  I'm mad at them. AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH :shock:   :sad:   :stop:  *lipssealed*

See you tomorrow!

Julie :rose:
Last edited by julie409 on October 26th, 2009, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Crickadoodle, Almost to goal.  So great.  When did you begin LDL?  Joyful Friend
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I began almost 4 months ago, on June 29th.  I'm amazed at how easy this was. 
jjelli

Post by jjelli »

Can always take the extra food to the food bank.  jj
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Crickadoodle, You have done well.  I've done similar.  I've really lost so differently this time-more all over.  My sizes have dropped so rapidly.  I can't believe I'm wearing 12's. You're about the same age as my daughter.  She is looking so great.  It is wonderful that we have this new woe and the people on the boards.  Where do you live?  Joyful Friend
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I live in South Louisiana.  Recently, I've had a change in my life from teaching 4th grade for 24 years to caring for my 83 yr. old mom who lives with my husband and me.  As much as I've loved teaching, it is nice to be home and care for my loved ones.  God is providing for us, but really He was providing when I worked outside the home too -- right?  It is so much more peaceful and less stressful living this way.  I can tell my husband is liking it, although he was nervous about it at first.  I felt the Lord leading us to this and am so glad we responded.  Life is much sweeter. 
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

jjelli wrote:Can always take the extra food to the food bank.   jj

GREAT idea!  Thanks, Julie :rose:
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Crickadoodle, You will never regret taking care of your mom.  I had my mother for 21/2 years after  I retired in 1990 after 32 years of teaching. Then she had a stroke and I couldn't lift her.  She was over 250 lbs.  We took her to  the hospital and then nursing home.  The day she went to the nursing home was much harder on me than the day she went to glory.  I am the youngest of 8, so Mom was visited every day, and I can say she got excellent care.  She weighed around 220 when she passed away.  That is exactly the reason that I have watched my weight so closely. If she had been smaller, I could have cared for her at home.  I visited almost every day at different times.  I went back to work as Drug Free Schools Coordinator-Worked 9 more years.  My daughter is 50, and she is teaching 3rd grade.  I think she is in her 28th year.  Maybe 29th.  We have several in our family who have ordered LDL books.  They can see how we look and how painlessly we have lost it.  I just came from the gym and I worked out 65 minutes-Not even winded.  Yesterday, I cleaned out my closet.  I'm so thrilled because this is the first time in my life that I have confidence that I'll not gain the weight back.  God is so good to me.  So good to know you  through the boards.  Joyful Friend
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Thanks, Joyful Friend!  Seems we've traveled similar paths.  Taking care of my mom instilled the desire in me to take good care of myself.  Also, all this health care stuff in Congress -- I'd rather be the one managing my health care.  If everyone would eat healthy like LDL that surely would cut medical costs drastically!  God bless you!