Seasoning??????

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
godstemple

Seasoning??????

Post by godstemple »

I bought a new Sazon Goya season from the store today.  Does anybody know if this is LDL friendly.  It is really good for cooking beans.  I do not know what to put in beans and mine are always bland...... 

The ingredients are

monosodium glutamate, salt, dehydrated garlic, cumin, tellow 5, tricalcium phosphate (anti0caking agent) annatto (color) mexican saffron, turmeric (color), red 40

I just received my book today.  Thanks for all of the wonderful help while I was waiting.  I will be reading this .....  

Blessings
Last edited by godstemple on November 13th, 2009, 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: Seasoning??????

Post by LINDA RN »

I would stay away from it mostly because the first ingredient and therefore the greatest quantity of ingredients is MSG (monosodium glutamate). This stuff will really mess with your blood sugar. That is why Chinese food tastes so good and why you are famished 2 hours after eating it. As for seasoning beans, try cooking them with onions and/or peppers. We just add a little salt and black pepper when cooking ours. DH like the vinegar pepper sauce sprinkled on his after he dishes his up. I don't care for it so we leave it out of the big pot itself. We also cook the beans with a little olive oil in the water. That seemed to be a good substitue for ham hocks or bacon drippings. BTW, has anyone come up with a good substitute for bacon drippings? We used to enjoy a wilted salad of leaf lettuce and mustard greens, radishes and onions with hot bacon drippings drizzled over it. Other dressings just don't taste as good so for now we have let it go. I also had a wonderful recipe for wilted endive with bacon drippings added to a white sauce. I figured I could use the pureed white beans for the white sauce, but it won't taste the same without the bacon flavor. If there is not an alternative, then we could eat these as one of those rare occasion things, like once or twice a year  :rolleyes:
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

Linda,

I believe that Liquid Smoke can be used to get the flavor of bacon.  I just bought some and added it to my bean soup (to replace the ham taste) and it did add a subtle flavor, but I think I'll add more next time to get a more smoky taste.
godstemple

Post by godstemple »

Thank you both for your reply......, my beans always taste so bland and my husband will not eat the bland beans and he love beans.  I want to make them myself.  If I make beans from the can he loves.  He is not doing LDL, but he will eat what I eat.  I have used onions, but it does not give them too much flavor.  I will try the other suggestions.  I am glad I asked first before I used the Goya seasoning.  

Thanks
Last edited by godstemple on November 14th, 2009, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Goya does make a wonderful seasoning though. It is called Goya Adobo. I found out about it from a Puerto Rican Nurse I work with. She used it on her pork chops. It is great on pork chops or roast. I also use it liberally in Salmon Patties. Other than the Tricalcium Phosphate to prevent caking, the rest is good stuff, (Salt, Granulated Galic, Oregano, and Tumeric). I hesitated mentioning it because I had never used it in beans.

The other thing you could try is pressure cooking your beans. I think that this is what makes the canned beans so soft and taste so good, not to mention the added salt-you may not be adding enough salt. My mother gave me a Cook's Essentials Quick Cooker she bought on QVC several years ago. QVC reminded me when I tried to get a replacement gasket that this is not a true pressure cooker but a quick cooker. It was discontinued a few years ago and I have not seen anything like it. I am considering buying a real pressure cooker. Anyway, beans cooked in this 5.5 qt. stovetop cooker tastes so much better than beans done in a crock pot or in a dutch oven. A big pot of beans will cook in 2-3 hours on low once the steam starts to escape. They are so soft and delicious. Right now I am quick cooking some spaghetti squash in it.

Thanks VickiLynn for the liquid smoke suggestion. I used to use it but I think DH wanted the "real thing". After putting on nearly 100lbs and finding out bacon really made him feel bad, he has given it up but misses the flavor. I will get some, thanks.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

godstemple

Post by godstemple »

VickiLynn, if the Liquid Smoke is LDL friendly I will try it.  What section of the market can I find it? 

Linda, so you have used Goya while doing LDL?  A friend of mine introduced it to me and it really gives your food a good flavor.  However since I am just starting I dont want to do anything to hinder my weight loss.  I would really love to lose about 30 lbs. 

Also, a pressure cooker would be nice.  I guess if this is a lifestyle change it would be a good investment.  I already have a blender on my christmas list.  :)  I ususaly put mine in the crockpot and have been really satisfied with how they cook, except they have no flavor.  I guess a pressure cooker would lessen the time. 

Have anyone heard of the healthmaster blender advertized by Montel Williams.  It appears to be really good. 

Thanks
redkat

Post by redkat »

I got a Cook's Essentials pressure cooker from QVC a couple of years ago.  I love it.  It has "brown" setting on it so I'm able to bring my beans to a boil and drain after cooking for a few minutes.  Then rinse, put new water, and pressue cook them until tender.  Helps with the "gas" factor.  It's oval and about 6 quarts, I believe.
Kathy
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I had a Smoothie Blender that I bought last year. Ice jams in the bottom. Picked up a Ninja Master Prep at Wal-Mart last night. Saw the infomercial a few weeks back. After joinning LDL I decided it would be something I could use, so when I saw it at Wal-Mart I fell for it. Haven't tried it out yet. Watched the infomercial again tonight to see what all it does. Instruction book pretty brief.

The liquid Smoke comes in a small glass bottle in the gravy and spice section if I remember right.

Actually we have been eating healthy for quite some time now. It started with eliminating anything with MSG and high fructose corn syrup, then on to eliminating processed foods and eating as much whole foods as possible. We have been loosing steadily since then even with using Adobo seasoning. That was when we heard about LDL on the 700 Club. It fit in with what we were already doing but now we have a support system and Recipes!!!!! Love those dishes. And each one is so easy to vary! No more eating out. Cooking at home is too good.
Linda

RB Kayaking
Master Member

Post by RB Kayaking »

I purchased the Montel Williams Healthmaster.  It works much better than my old blender that died shortly after starting this smart way of eating. 

The soups come out incredibly smooth--I know now why Little Mary is always teasing RT about the VitaMixer.  You cannot get that smoothness with a small blender.

It is noisy.  It is loud.  But it works great.

RB Kayaking
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

LINDA RN wrote:The liquid Smoke comes in a small glass bottle in the gravy and spice section if I remember right.

Godstemple... If you can't find Liquid Smoke where Linda suggested, try the section where they have the hot sauces, Tabasco, etc.  That is where I found mine.
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

Hi all,

I bought the Ninja blender/processor, at Wal-mart 2 weeks ago.  I have used it several times and I love it.  I have processed lots of carrots, onions, frozen fruit, fresh fruit, cauliflower, broccoli, and beans and it hasn't disappointed me yet.  It cost about 60 bucks.  I think it was a great purchase.  I also know someone who bought it from QVC and it came with a few extra attachments.  Happy processing ~jess~
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Now I am glad I got it, it was $49.00 here. I was hoping to hear that someone else has actually used it. I was wanting to use it for chopping mostly but thought it would work well for pureeing the veggies in some of the soup recipes. Thanks, Jessica.
Linda

LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

VickiLynn wrote:
LINDA RN wrote:The liquid Smoke comes in a small glass bottle in the gravy and spice section if I remember right.

Godstemple... If you can't find Liquid Smoke where Linda suggested, try the section where they have the hot sauces, Tabasco, etc.  That is where I found mine.

OK just came from Wal-Mart and found the liquid smoke just above all the BBQ sauces (alongside the hot sauces). There were 2 brands and the first one I looked at was a LDL friendly one. Had a little molasses in it but since you only use a small amount, it will be OK. The other brand had a whole list of ingredients including Worcestershire sauce (MSG) and corn syrup. I bought the Colgin brand.

On another thread I had mentioned a substitute for bouillion. I bought some Organic Better than Bouillion at the Health Foods Store. Saw it at Wal-Mart and even though it was the same brand name (but probably not Organic) the one at Wal-Mart had Corn Syrup in it. Pays to read labels.
Linda

Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

God'stemple, you can use chicken bullion cubes in your beans.  I use 6 in 1
# of beans.  Very good, and fat free.  Let your beans soak over night,rinse, then put in pressure cooker with the cubes for 35 minutes.  Sooo delicious.  I also use the crockpot--overnight.  Joyful Friend
godstemple

Post by godstemple »

Hello everyone, I guess I have two blenders to consider.  The healthmaster and the Ninja blender/processor, also I will consider the one that Roger bought.  I really need a new one.  I have a blender, however it is not strong at all and it's starting to leak when I use it.  I like that the healthmaster can make soup and they come out heated.  I am not surprised that it is loud, because you can put whole fruit and vegetables in it.  I really want to purchase it, but I have to wait according to my DH  :pouty: :pouty: :pouty:  I am actually using gadgets in my kitchen I did not know that I had, because before this I was not cooking much.  I am enjoying this way of eating.   

I am going to try to liquid smoke for my  beans, I like going to Wal Mart.  I think this week I am going to fix the 15 bean soup.  I make a big pot at least once or twice a week.  What ever I dont eat I freeze.   

I received my book on Friday, I read it and need to read it again.  It is so much to remember.  The food list is extensive, however I am glad there is a variety.

question?  how many people are eating popcorn.  I have been eating it every night and I hope it is not stalling my weight lost.  Felt like I losing the first week, but the second week it does not feel like I am losing at all, howeve my clothes does feel different.  Trying not to look at the scale and telling myself that patience is the virture that I need during this. 
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

Godstemple,

I have been eating the LDL way for 4 months now and have popcorn almost every night.  It has not stalled my weight loss, but some members have reported that it has.  Everyone is different so I guess you'll have to be the judge of that.

You are so right in reading the ingredient labels!  It's surprising how many additives are added; sugar being at the top of the list.  Others are just for shelf life and have no nutrients.  When you cook the LDL way, you know your are eating your food as natural as it can be.

Keep your scale out of sight a little while longer!  Roger says once a month at the very least.

I'm happy you found the Liquid Smoke. The one I bought is also Colgin.

As far as those 30 lbs you want to lose; it'll be gone before you know it AND you eat, eat, eat. My husband started LDL with me on July 5th and he has lost 33 lbs so far. I started LDL more for him than me because he has health problems (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea).  Not only has he lost weight, his blood pressure is now normal, his cholesterol is normal, and his sleep apnea is getting better day by day.  Pretty soon I won't have to sleep with Darth Vader (looks like this when he uses his Bi-Pap machine)  :tongue:  I have also benefited from this WOE.  I've lost 23 lbs and went from a size 12 to an 8 and feel better than I have ever felt for a long time.

Blessings to you... Vicki
redkat

Post by redkat »

Godstemple,

You said that you didn't feel like you've lost in the second week, but then said your clothes are fitting different....
I believe that it's working for you.  I thought at first that I wasn't losing because I didn't really "see" it.  My stomach area is the area that I want most to lose, and I have only seen a little change there.  But by the fit of my clothes, I know that I'm really losing all over.  Keep it up, it WILL work.  I haven't been able to resist the temptation to get on the scales, though I don't know why I do.  I see fluctuations EVERY day, some days up, some days down.  Just goes to show you can't trust it.  Trust the fit of your clothes.  I do eat popcorn about 3-5 times a week.
Kathy