Uric Acid levels

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Uric Acid levels

Post by LINDA RN »

Went with DH to the doctor last week. Weight was down, BP controlled, etc. We told her about LDL and she cautioned to watch out for gout because of increased uric acid levels in eating alot of beans.  :poo: Last year he was hospitalized with a 7mm kidney stone blocking his left kidney. Turns out he had calcium oxylate stones. The diet to eliminate oxylates includes the healthiest foods also. I have a suspicion that it is the other unhealthy stuff that when combined with the healthy foods causes uric acid crystal or calcium oxylate crystals to form. Just wondering if anyone else has had this come up. He goes back in 3 months with blood work. Plan to stay on the plan and report the results after we get them.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
CodingQueen
Master Member

Re: Uric Acid levels

Post by CodingQueen »

Hi LINDA RN,

Go to this thread and then scroll down to the post that I sent to Ginny M.

http://www.letsdolunch.com/boards/index ... pic=7306.0

CQ
Ginny M.
Master Member

Post by Ginny M. »

Hi, Linda.  In reading the post from CQ please be sure to read on down.  I have seldom used my gout meds after that first attack.  My doctor did not take a blood test for uric acid.  A few times since then I have had a slight pain in my toe but not enough to take the meds.  I do eat my beans usually at least once a day and quite often twice a day with very little trouble from gout.  I do not know if my body has adjusted to the beans or what.  I was not going to have my doctor sabotage another weight program, especially one that was working and I liked and could live with.

Good luck.  *hug*

Ginny M.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

CQ and Ginny,
Thank you so much for the info. I Emailed it on to our doctor. She is wanting to practive preventative medicine and natural cures. I am hoping to get her on LDL so she can help her patients get on it. I work in Oklahoma for Indian Health Service where Diabetes and metabolic syndrome is epidemic. I believe this will help them also. I am a little more motivated now to go pure LDL. When my weight loss becomes more significant, they will ask and I will certainly tell them. When I can, I will order some books to have on hand so those who are sincerely ready for a change can buy it right away.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

LINDA RN,

Just out of curiosity...Do you have a high Mexican population? I've noticed that Diabetes seems to be extremely high among our Mexican immigrants. And we're not talking about the elderly, either. I'm seeing patients in their thirties and forties with it.

I mentioned it to one of the docs and he believes it's their diet. A lot of tortillas, rice, etc. My aunt is Mexican and she says that very few families actually make their own tortillas from scratch these days. Instead they buy them just like the rest of us because so many of the women are having to work outside the home to help make ends meet. If that's the case, they are not only eating processed grains but food additives as well.

It was just a thought.

CQ
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

No, Indian Health Service cares for only Native Americans and Native Alaskans(although I know of only 1 native Alaskan here). DH believes it is their diet also because most of them grew up on government commodities. The commodities consisted of alot of white flour, corn syrup and processed cheese and meats. We have Indians who have DM II as early as pre-teens. The corn syrup set them up for the pop and sweets addiction. They love their Fry Bread, which is so good when made right, but so not healthy. It is a cultural thing and most do not eat it on a daily basis, but I hear more and more saying they can't eat a meal without bread or crackers. Most drink pop (or soda) and are additcted. They feel they cannot afford fresh fruits and veggies so they fill up on the dollar menu at the fast food place. They have a Diabetes program and a Diabetes prevention program at the hospital. Most can't seem to stay on the recommended diet because it is so different from what they have been used to eating. I believe LDL would work for them.

I need to make it work for me first.
Linda

CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

I think your DH is absolutely right.

CQ