TAKING OFF 100+ LBS, 1 LB at a time (The 100 lb Club)

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
lpomlove

Re: TAKING OFF 100+ LBS, 1 LB at a time (The 100 lb Club)

Post by lpomlove »

I also have a salt problem so I rinse everything and just put a can of water in it if they say don't drain.  I'm hoping this will work.  I love frozen fruits but the mixed berry has way to many seeds for me.  We haven't gone to Sam's club yet, so I look forward to all the things they have there, our local stores just doesn't have many frozen fruits.  Maybe cause here in Florida you can by a lot of fresh.
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Hey lp, maybe you can buy extra when they are on sale and freeze them in baggies yourself. Whaddya think?

Julie :rose:
lpomlove

Post by lpomlove »

I tried to freeze tangerines they were SO bitter.  No grapefruits I do and they are great for smoothies.  We get to get strawberries this weekend.  and blueberries and grapes coming up.  yum oh.
Deborah D.
Master Member

Post by Deborah D. »

Image   Julie409 I had a wonderful time today making all the different soups....out of all the ones I made today the Zucchini is my favorite... :thumbsup: and then the Chicken Enchilada Soup a very close second...and when I made the Easy Mexican Soup I ended up putting some of my home cooked Pinto Beans in it...because I believed it needed some thing else...I liked it after putting the beans in....

The next few days I will also make the Schloop and then maybe Little Mary's tamale Pie....I just love trying new recipes....and I am getting some of these soup in the freezer for later use.

Deborah D.
I live in Burleson, TX
Restarted LDL on April 11,2012
Starting weight 295 lbs
Goal weight 125 lbs

o2bthin

Post by o2bthin »

Awesome weight loss, Sicilian Mama.  Congratulations from me too!
Last edited by o2bthin on December 15th, 2009, 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Started LDL - Sept. 8, 2009              
Beginning weight - 247                 
Goal weight - 147 or less

'Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.'                   III John 2             

Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

You are all so kind...

Thank you.

I have a quick and easy recipe for when you crave mashed potatoes or all things starchy...

Cut two acorn squash in half and scoop out the seeds...

place cut side down on a foil lined baking sheet with a one inch lip and place in oven for about 30-45 min or until very soft...

When easy to handle... scoop out the flesh and mash it with some salt, pepper, butter alternative or my fave...Olive Oil and dig in!!! They are sweet, fluffy, filling and sooo nutritious!!!  Sometimes I make a soup out of it and add pureed beans and homemade chicken stock to  it or just plain water... and it's a lovely, thickish filling soup...

Enjoy!

Also, in the mornings when I'm famished and don't want fruit... I make a stir fry of cabbage, onions, corn, green onions and beans... and flavor it with a dash of Worcestershire or soy sauce and a little salt and a lot of pepper, or any of my favorite premixed PC seasonings... and have a feast!!! I make a huge pan full, and eat the leftovers for dinner... since it's meat free...
hopefull

Post by hopefull »

Hi guys, since Little Mary chimed in here, I am going to too. I had 40 + lbs to loose. have lost 26lbs or so leaving about 20 or more lbs to go. I just wanted to share with you all how much encouragement I get from this thread! thank you so much for sharing! You all inspire me!!!!!! And yes, a great big congratulations to Silica Mama for your 65lbs lost forever!!!!!!

Bobbi
jjelli

Post by jjelli »

Hi S. mama,  Great job on the 65.!!!!
I've noticed a lot of people roast the food.  Why not use the microwave?
Anyway, I started July 20th, 2009 and have lost 30.  Would still like to go another 20-50 but it seems like I've been stuck on 180 since the first part of Nov.  I think its because I can see a difference in the mirrow and feel skinnier and think I look pretty good from where I was at.
I also think the weather has a big impact on my eating.  I love the sunshine and feel good....but cloudy days, I'm cloudy and its 5 below this am.
One more quick question,  did you experience any stalls on your 65?  jj
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

Jjelli

Yes... for a few weeks I lost nothing at all... so I only ate meat three times a week for a couple of weeks and it jumpstarted me back up...  I try to go meat free at least two days a week... just because I want to... and am trying to lower my reliance on animal protein... the beans give us so many nutrients... my body won't miss the meat...

Why do I roast instead of microwave?  My answer is going to sound snooty and snobby... and I don't mean it to... but here goes... I use the microwave only for things like melting butter, warming coffee and heating water... otherwise... I do all my cooking stove top or in the oven...

Roasting brings out the natural sugars in a food, and caramelizes it and gives it an enhanced flavor.  I roast all veggies... I never, ever, ever boil anything unless I'm just blanching it for 2 minutes.
I roast carrots, onions, broccoli, eggplant, zucchini, you name it...most of the time... at the same time...Roasted baby carrots are a family favorite... they get sooo sweet.  I cut up Butternut squash and roast it before making a soup also.. the result is a smoky flavored soup that in unsurpassed in flavor...

A little tip... if you must boil your veggies... do so for only about 2-4 minutes.. boiling leaches out vital nutrients and turns food grey in color if left in too long... keep 'em crunchy and lightly cooked and your taste buds and your body will thank you for it.  When making soup, add things like spinach, string beans, peas and broccoli for the last 5 minutes of cooking so the colors stay vibrant and lovely.

Hope this helped JJelli!
Christy71

Post by Christy71 »

My name is Christy B.  I need to lose close to 200#.  I weigh 355 at this point and I am 5'8'' tall.  I began th eprogram but fell off the bandwagon.  I'm getting back on.  I have begun to excersize and I need to get the food right if I am going to lose weight.  I am so happy for all of the support here.I have printed off a bunch of the soup recipies just in time for the cold weather here in Georgia.  I like the thought of 1# at a time because my amount of wieght feels daunting at times.  I am setting a reward for myself when I get under 300 for a curling iron and new make-up kit.  I look forward to being able to chat with all of you and keep up the good work.  :thumbsup:
Deborah D.
Master Member

Post by Deborah D. »

Christy71 welcome to The Hundred Pound Club you have come to the right place, to lose your unwanted pounds and to eat all the good food you want...If you have your Let's Do Lunch (LDL) book, then be sure to read chapter 2-6 over at least 3 times, so you will understand the plan...and then start eating your fruit, beans, corn, and other vegetables...check out the recipes on this website and if you have any questions, just ask and someone will jump in with the answer....also try to eat your meats at lunch if you can....

And if you read all the post on this thread, you know we all have/had at least 100 pounds or more to lose, so we know how you feel when you first start losing weight....but you have found the best way to lose with this wonderful way of eating...and when you post your first weight loss everyone here will cheer you on....so once again Welcome to the 100 pound club.....and as my sister said Happy LDL eating!!!!

Deborah D.
I live in Burleson, TX
Starting weight 295 lbs
Goal weight 125 lbs

Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

Oh Christy...

Welcome, welcome,welcome...!

I, too, have/had 200 to lose... I sooo feel your pain... BUT YOU CAN DO IT!!! You truly can...

Getting the food right is KEY!!!

In the beginning, stay away from WHITE products... mayo, sour cream, milks, even the FF versions... and focus on whole foods... veggies, fruits, lean meats, and you'll be dropping lbs in no time flat...

Teach yourself to make a pot of beans and make them all the time.. and add them to everything!!!

Welcome again.. and happy losing!!!
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Christy- You can do it, one pound at a time.  We are all here to support you and celebrate your small and large victories.  Congratulations on choosing to get back on program.  Pam
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

Christy71
I also have 200# to lose and I don't look at the whole picture.  I have made small goals that seem achievable and not overwhelming.  You will love all the recipes and support on this site.  For me it has been real important to do the journal and be accountable for the food I am eating.  Others come along side of me and tell me when maybe i am not choosing the best choices to lose weight.  I began November 5th and have lost 18 lbs now on this program and 5 lbs before starting.  If you have questions just ask and someone will help if you need encouragement just let us know and we will love up on you and help you keep going to good health.  Welcome aboard!  I will be looking for your journal and other posts to keep in touch.
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Christy  *hug*  Welcome Back!  I am so happy for you!  Making the decision and the commitment is an incredible step on the way to be as healthy as you can be for the rest of your life. Congratulations!  When I began LDL I had 100 lbs to lose and I will admit, that number gave me pause. But with all the support of these lovely people on the boards and with my body being so happily nourished on LDL, I have no doubts that I will get to goal and perhaps go beyond it. The plan works!  :thumbsup:

Make this as automatic as possible. Make sure you have LDL foods - readily accessible so you can just grab and go if you are hungry or leaving the house. Get a cute insulated bag so you have something in which to carry your food. Get anything out of the house that will tempt  you esp when you restart.  Eat, Eat, Eat! Be satisfied and know you are in this for the long haul.

May I ask - what issues were you facing that contributed to your departing from LDL?  Maybe we can help you to overcome them if they should rise again.  I really like the idea of short term goals with rewards. I know that works for me. There is absolutely nothing to prevent you from putting up a ticker with 50 lbs to lose on it. How would that feel? 

We are all here to help.

Julie :rose:
Deborah D.
Master Member

Post by Deborah D. »

Image  Well Ladies I spent the morning cooking another soup...I made the Schloop this morning and it has been simmering in the hugh pot I cooked it in (because I doubled the recipe) all morning...I put everything the recipe called for and then some...I added some frozen Lima beans, a bag of frozen peas, a can of great northern beans and a can of black eye peas with snaps.. then added another couple cans of diced tomatoes, short 2 cans of tomatoes so I use tomato sauce  :thumbsup:....I am now enjoying a big bowl of this soup as I type.... :D  :D  :D it sure is good.  I have enough of this soup to feed an army.....so I know I will freeze a whole bunch for later eating....and I know this is another soup that I will be making over and over again....next time I might try adding some carrots, bell peppers or other vegetables just to see if I can make it any better....

OK I have to correct myself....I am enjoying two bowls of this soup as I type.... *love* *love* *love*

Deborah D.
I live in Burleson, TX
Starting weight 295 lbs
Goal weight 125 lbs

Clown Lady
Master Member

Post by Clown Lady »

Christy 71 welcome.
There is no bandwagons here at LDL.  We do have a train to skinnytown and sometimes you get derailed but I will try to catch you.  I live in the caboose and anytime you start to jump off the train just wander back to the caboose and visit me awhile.  It is a junk free zone.
Clown Lady
http://boards.letsdolunch.com/boards/ga ... _33_10.jpg
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wS4gwd3/]
o2bthin

Post by o2bthin »

Welcome back Christi71 and welcome to this forum!  We're glad to have you join us.  Julie is right - there is so much support here, there is no reason for anyone to struggle alone. So, chime in anytime with questions, advice, or just venting when you have a bad day.  LDL is the best!  It is the only weight-loss plan that I've ever tried that works long-term...I think that's bc we can eat till FULL and the foods are so delicious.  NO-PAIN weight loss.  You are definitely in the right place.

About microwaving foods - like Sicilian Mama, I use it to reheat foods, not to cook.  And, I really wish it wasn't so darn convenient/quick to use, otherwise I'd go back to reheating stuff on the stove top.  Don't know if it's true, but I heard or read somewhere that microwaving kills the nutrients in foods, so I feel a little twinge of guilt everytime I pop something in. 

DD has spent the day Schlooping!!
Beginning weight - 247                 

'Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.'                   III John 2             

o2bthin

Post by o2bthin »

S. Mama, I roasted acorn squash this week for the first time - did it just as you described - and it was soooo good.  And, very easy.  And your cabbage stir-fry sounds delish.  I'll try it for dinner soon.  thanks for the idea.
Beginning weight - 247                 

NanaX2
New, but learning

Post by NanaX2 »

S. Mama - totally agree with you about roasting veggies. The taste is way better than boiling. I roast finely shredded cabbage, onions, garlic and carrots together..drizzle just a little evoo on it...yummy.  I'm going to try it your way to with the beans..sounds great.

Christi71 - Welcome back..I'm a Georgia girl too. I have well over 100lbs to lose and the thought just overwhelms me..just take it one day at a time...1lb at a time. I know we can all do it.

I had to go to Atlanta today for a meeting and had to walk quite a ways from the parking deck...I was so tired and out of breath by the time I got to the building it was embarrassing. The entire time I was thinking, just you wait...one day hopefully not to far in the distant future, I'm going to be able to make this walk with no problem. Can't wait for that day....

Having some corn, black beans, onions and bellpepper stirfry tonight.

Shari