SICILIAN MAMA'S JOURNAL

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: SICILIAN MAMA'S JOURNAL

Post by LINDA RN »

Sandra,

Really need help on this roasting veggies thing. Especially eggplant. From your pictures, looks as if you slice about 1/4 slices with skin on? How much olive oil to you put on the slices and do you salt before you pop in oven? Bake at what temp for how long? Until the tops brown. Do you turn them over half way through?

I have tried twice and never got it right. First time don't think they were done enough. Second time over-did it. Too mushy and skins tough....it had been in the friggie a couple weeks before cooking, so probably too old to bother cooking.

I know I sound totally ignorant and I am when it comes to this. Mom never roasted anything other than meat. Veggies were dipped in egg and flour or bread crumbs and fried (especially zucchini and eggplant). Even though this method is totally delish....it is sooo not LDL. I did have a little success with fresh beets so I want to get this so that I can teach others with lots of other veggies. I know every oven is different and cooking temps and times vary, so what am I looking for? Browness, crispness, tenderness? Want to be able to write directions for the turbo oven if I can finally get it down.

Thanks for all your patient help and glad you are feeling better. 80 lbs gone forever is awesome!
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
redkat

Post by redkat »

Hi SM,

I, too, am glad you're feeling better.  And 80 pounds!!!! Way to go!  I have been trying some of your delicious recipes and I second the kudos for the turkey burgers and the taco salad.  Both are really good.  I love going to your blog site for recipes, especially when you so kindly enhance them with pictures!  Oh, and the roasted cauliflower.....DELISH!!  Thank you so much for so generously sharing your talents with us that are less creative.

Like Linda, I would like more info on the roasting of vegetables.  I was at a friend's house on Sunday and she roasted some veggies on the grill, but as I don't have grill/time to use one, I will have to rely on my oven.
Kathy
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

I keep the skin on EVERYTHING!!!

Yes, slice them into 1/4 inch round disks...

I brush each one, both sides, with olive oil... and sprinkle with Kosher salt.

Place in a 400 oven for about 10-15 minutes until you see some golden brown on them.  Nope... I don't turn them.  I make everything stupid easy for myself.

I will post a you tube video of it... soon... on my blog...

I eat an eggplant a day... Trader Joes has them on sale everyday for $1.39 each... a steal!!!
lulu65

Post by lulu65 »

going to start eating those egg plants .. yum  i agree your blog is super.. Enjoy it very much
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Sicilian Mama,

Everyone knows that you eat with your eyes first...then your stomach.

That's why I would like to congratualate on your blog. Your pictures make the food look more appetizing, therefore, I have wanted to try new things that are healthier to eat.

Thanks for all the help you have given us.

*hug*
CQ
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

You are all so kind!!!

That's the reason I started the blog... because we can't post pics on this board... and i think pictures really help too...

Thanks all!
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

SM -- Why can't we post pics on this board?

• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

You are better than me... :blush:

I wasn't even able to post my own profile picture... I had to have another LDL'er do it for me... :blink:

I would LOVE to be able to post pics on each of my posts... on here... but my format seems to be too big... too many pixels on my camera... apparently... :shock:

Brava... that you can do it... I'll stick to my blog and FB pics... LOL  :)
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

When I saw Gwen post pics of her young hubby, I started messimg around trying it out. In the format icons just above the smiley faces, there is the tiniest picture icon. I clicked it and got the html tags into the body. Then inserted the url of the picture between the tags (you can use the pics on Facebook, just right click and copy the url from the properties menu). I wish the boards were a little more user-friendly but I know the programming thing must be a nightmare. I chalk it up to another thing learned to keep my mind young and healthy :shock:
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

SM, I am having trouble with getting on your blog.  Had no trouble with facebook.  :'( :rolleyes:  I too love the way you do the roasted veggies.  They are as good as well a beautiful. JF
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

You're right--it can make you crazy trying to post pictures.  The board is hard to use in that respect, but Roger Troy has to upgrade the site memory out of his own pocket, so I think that may be why they aren't eager to open it up to unrestricted photo posting.  A couple of years ago the board was running impossibly slow; it took about 30 seconds to send every post.  Then Tori compressed all the pics that were already posted, and set up the galleries requiring pics to be compressed to 28Kb or less.  You access the gallery by clicking on the dark blue band across the top of the screen under your screen name & avatar.

If your computer's operating system has a picture manager, you can probably go into the edit mode & compress your photos for "web pages", which will take them down to 28 Kb or less.  Then as long as they are cropped to 600 x 600 pixels they can be posted in the galleries. The picture manager will tell you the size.  Once pic is in the gallery, you can either copy the thumbnail, or click on the thumbnail to copy a larger view of the picture you want to put into a message.  RIGHT click on the picture and look for "Copy image URL" and LEFT click on it. 

Then you can open a message and put your cursor where you want to post the picture.  As Linda said, look click on the tiny framed picture icon just above the third and fourth smileys.  This puts an IMG code into the message.  Between the two segments of the code and paste your picture URL. 

I'm looking forward to seeing your food pics, SM.  I couldn't get into your blog until I registered, then I couldn't figure out how to navigate once I got in.  I attempted to create my own blog, and WAS successful, but I can't figure out how to work it.

So don't feel like the Lone Ranger in the computer literacy department.  You are MILES ahead of me!
ImageImage
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

Gwen...

Now anyone can see the blog... I had to change my settings... www.eatabiglunch.blogspot.com
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

Mmmm... mmmmm...

Made the yummiest eggplant parm today... ate it for both breakfast and lunch...  No meat today... I forgot... but I'm stuffed...

My oldest gets his driving permit tomorrow... and I'm a nervous wreck... and my appetite has dwindled... 

Need to eat to keep up my energy...

Lord have mercy... keep him safe...
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Guess that is one big advantage to country livin'. Daughter started driving when she was 9. Son at age 7 (sitting on my lap while I worked the pedals and he steered and shifted!). It was no big deal then when they were able to drive the real roads legally. Of coursr they got several years experience in a smaller large town before navigating Oklahoma City.....nothing yet like LA, LOL
Linda

Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

I still can't navigate OKC!  LOL
ImageImage
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

LINDA RN wrote:Guess that is one big advantage to country livin'. Daughter started driving when she was 9. Son at age 7 (sitting on my lap while I worked the pedals and he steered and shifted!). It was no big deal then when they were able to drive the real roads legally. Of coursr they got several years experience in a smaller large town before navigating Oklahoma City.....nothing yet like LA, LOL

I remember those days. We lived in the middle of horse country in Marion County, raising cattle. My husband would often come home late and I'd have to drag the back field. Only one problem, I couldn't drive a stick shift very well. I had both of my sons in the truck with me one afternoon. They were ages 7 and 3 and laughing their heads off at me. I finally gave up and told my oldest that if he thought he could do better then to have at it. He could reach the pedals with the seat all the way forward and had the field dragged in no time. :shocked: They learn quick when they're little.

CQ
RB Kayaking
Master Member

Post by RB Kayaking »

SM,

We had to drag our son kicking and screaming to the DMV.  He much prefers to ride shotgun with a book.  He changed his tune as soon as he got a girlfriend.  Teaching him to drive in the city was nerve wracking--but I lived through it and so will you!

RB
redkat

Post by redkat »

RB,  you are braver than I am.  I have two daughters and didn't teach either of them to drive.  I am much too much of a nervouse passenger to turn over control of the vehicle to an experienced driver.  Fortunately, they were able to both get their licenses in spite of my lack of help. 
Kathy
scarlett859

Post by scarlett859 »

redkat wrote:RB,  you are braver than I am.  I have two daughters and didn't teach either of them to drive.  I am much too much of a nervouse passenger to turn over control of the vehicle to an experienced driver.  Fortunately, they were able to both get their licenses in spite of my lack of help.  

Yeah... and she still doesn't like riding with us... when we are all in the car going somewhere, she gets the back with the kids!!! LOL
[glow=grey,2,300]GEAUX TIGERS![/glow]
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wKZCQDt/]
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Sicilian Mama,

Like RB said, you'll live through it. I did twice on all the Interstates/Freeways/Causeways/Express Highways and every other road in Tampa/Clearwater/St. Pete. Of course, they'd laughed at me when the brakes didn't work on my side of the car...  :shock: :laughing:

CQ
Last edited by CodingQueen on April 21st, 2010, 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.