SICILIAN MAMA'S JOURNAL

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
Sicilian Mama

SICILIAN MAMA'S JOURNAL

Post by Sicilian Mama »

Hi all...

I'm Sandra.

I'm 41, and have a ton of weight to lose...  Today is December 16, and I've been on plan for 5 months and have lost 65 lbs thus far.

A lot of people have asked me to start a journal... so here I am...

Breakfast - 3 eggwhites sauted with olive oil and chopped onion

Lunch - three turkey/bean/onion/seasonings burgers wrapped in lettuce with ketchup, mustard, onion slices, dill pickles and jalapeno
          1 mango
          salad with shredded carrot, cucumbers, alfalfa sprouts, my famous Italian Balsamic Bliss dressing ( I am selling it, so I can't divulge the recipe) sliced red onion, cherry tomatoes and kidney beans

Dinner - 1 mango, 1 banana, 1 apple (if hungry around 9 p.m.)

Until Tomorrow... Ciao Bellas!
LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: SICILIAN MAMA'S JOURNAL

Post by LINDA RN »

Image  Can you share the recipe for the burgers? It sounds yummy.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

Sure thing...

2 lbs ground turkey

1 chopped, saute'd till brown onion

1-2 TBS steak seasoning (without gluten or sugar)
SAlt
Pepper
1 tsp Cayenne pepper
Chipotle seasoning to taste

1/2 cup fresh green onions chopped left raw
1-2 cups cooked, drained and pulverized to mush... beans

Mix cooked onions, green onions and all the seasonings and mushy beans with ground turkey and make into patties.

Place on lipped cookie sheet and bake at 375 for about 15 minutes or until done to taste.
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

Mama,

Thank you so much for starting your food journal because I believe not only will you inspire others but you will show how much one can eat on LDL and lose weight.  As I read other members food journals some of them sound like they are trying to control their calorie intake and not feeding their bodies enough food so it can burn those pounds away.  Also, because you are a chef I would love to see some more of your innovative recipes.  I love your hamburger one  :thumbsup: and will be adding it to my LDL recipe book.

*hug* Vicki
jkate

Post by jkate »

Sicilian ~ 65 lbs in 5 months! That is just awesome!!!! Your burger sounds like the one that I cooked from the book and fed to the family and DH said he had never had burgers that had beans in them before. I had mashed the beans but obviously not good enough and there were still some whole beans in there so that you could tell the meat had beans in them. DH and DS both liked the burgers but both thought they needed more seasoning. I sprinkled Cavender's all purpose Greek seasoning and salt and pepper but DS added BBQ sauce to his. We had those yesterday. Beans are supposed to be good at lowerering cholesterol too and I am having a problem with that presently.
]
[/url]]
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

RT, and all the others...

Thank you... my family is a huge support system for me... they have done the program right along with me, making it infinitely easier for me to eat this way... now they are so used to it, they don't remember eating our old way... this just makes total sense...

December 17, 2009

Breakfast - 2 mangos
                I cup coffee (maybe two... who knows... I just love coffee!)

Lunch - HUGE salad (four cups of red and dark green lettuce, tomatoes, cukes,alfalfa sprouts, shredded carrots)
          mixed with one can of Alaskan wild salmon, shredded (sooo yummy...it's ridiculous!)
          If that doesn't fill me up (it depends on the day and time of the month, wink wink)
          Then I'll have a cup of home made veggie soupm or two... whatever floats my boat...
Dinner -
            half watermelon baby, 1 mango and an apple at 9 p.m. if I get hungry again... I eat dinner at around 6 p.m.
tonz2day

Post by tonz2day »

SM,
I know the book says that we don't have to count and measure what we eat.  I notice you have been posting how much you eat and I so appreciate it!  I know several of us (including me) may not actually be eating enough and it may be stalling us.  To me the proof is "in the pudding" with your success!  65 pounds in 5 months and you are showing us through your journals that you can eat all the LDL foods you want until your tummy is content and lose lots of weight. How can one argue against that? 
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/weAJS0m/]
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

Tonz...

yes... I keep preaching that I eat alot of food at lunch... so I thought I'd prove it... if we could eventually post pictures like on FB on here, I'd prove it with pics!!! LOL!

My hubby just grins and helps me carry my truckload of food to the table on weekends...and yes... I EAT IT ALL!

I don't exercise at all, (I know,,, I know... I should... but I don't... sue me) I mean, I walk everywhere, and park really, really far when shopping... but to actually do an exercise routine... nope...

I find that if I don't eat a lot during lunch, I set myself up for problems at dinner...

I'm a chef/caterer, and I make a lot of non LDL foods, so my eating my LDL food is CRUCIAL to my not snacking on my other dishes...
I'm glad you appreciate it Tonz... I'll keep it up...
tonz2day

Post by tonz2day »

Hey, is your "Italian Balsamic Bliss dressing" LDL friendly?  If so, drop me an email and let me know how I might be able to purchase a bottle or two. 
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/weAJS0m/]
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

yes, it is completely LDL friendly...I made it so I would have a healthy, tasty alternative to store bought dressings...

I didn't say that I'm selling it to get orders... I sell it on FB and at Market Nights and on my catering blog... I'm sorry...

I don't want to disrespect RT by selling wares... It was not my intention... RT...

I can say it is a EVOO, Balsamic and herbs and spices blend...I'm currently looking into having it bottled professionally... move over Kraft... LOL!
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

OKAY...

SOOOOOO EXCITED THAT LDL IS NOW ON FB that we can be a "fan' of... now we can post pictures of our food, the scales... whatever!!!

Today's food is as follows... 12/18/2009

Breakfast - coffee
                2 mangoes... fresh

Lunch  - Another HUGE 4-5 cup salad, saute'd green beans with lemon juice and pepper
            2 turkey burgers with all the trimmings...sans bread of course... "bread" will be lettuce leave... YUM!!!

Dinner - Saute'd cabbage, white bean, onion, spinach and corn hash...
            Fruit if I'm still hungry...probably an apple
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

I have been making Biscotti like CRAZY...probably over 1000 of them so far these last two weeks... I didn't nibble even one... I made lemon/cranberry, and chocolate almond coconut, chocolate orange, and traditional almond... I'm pooped!

While I was baking... here's what I ate...

TONS OF veggies... raw, with a little lemon juice and tabasco sprinkled on them... LOVE celery that way.

Salad, Salad, and more Salad... I buy the precooked chicken from Costco, bone it, cut it up into little pieces or shredd it... and sprinkle a little over my salads when i feel I need a little animal protein.
Lately, I've been feeliing like not eating meat... so I have just stopped eating it, and up'ed my bean intake... I lost 5 more pounds... LOL... I don't know why I don't have a taste for meat right now...
It's weird... anyone else have this happen?  I have to make myself remember to have some sometimes...

My oranges are all ready on our trees finally, we are are eating oranges like they are going out of style!  REally good for staving off colds and flu... plus... home grown oranges taste a million times better than store bought... sooo much sweeter... So... that's it for today... I'm not really hungry yet and it's 10 a.m. 

Tomorrow night I'm switching my protein meal to dinner to I can eat as a fabulous restaurant with my family!!! I am definitely eating meat then... LOL!
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

Going out to dinner this evening with my Mother in Law and my family... so today, I am switching my protein meal to the evening one...

Breakfast  = 2 freshly picked from my tree oranges

Lunch = salad with lots of veggies, my balsamic bliss dressing, and another orange...
            oranges keep me very full... I'll be good with this meal until dinner.. our reservation isn't until 8:30 so I'll have a banana at around 6 p.m. to stave off too much hunger.

Dinner will be... hmmmm... appetizer of shrimp cocktail, and for entree, probably a Filet Mignon, with a side salad, (my own dressing I'll bring with me in a lovely little silver bottle) I'll be discreet... I promise... a veggie side, no bread, and certainly no dessert... but I will have a decaf coffee, and may ask for a fruit plate, if I feel I need one... but I don't think I will at all... that's plenty of food, I'd say...

Switching meals always throws me off a little... my body doesn't seem to know what happens to it when I switch... but it may all just be in my head...

Here's to a lovely evening!
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

Oops... it's seem the filter got me on my last post...

Shrimp "See Oh See Kay"tail isn't allowed to write I guess... Anyway, I meant the shrimp with the sauce arranged in a lovely dish with ice in the middle and the sauce for dipping...

You get the jist... LOL!
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

Ha, Ha!

I know you meant a shrimp co c k tail  :rolleyes: .  I also know what you mean about your body knowing you have switched your protein meal.  When I do that, I get a stomach ache and don't sleep well.  I am retired after working 50 years so it is really nice to have the time to plan and cook my big meal of the day at lunchtime (between 1 and 2 pm).

Speaking of food (LDL of course)...  Have you planned a menu for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day?  If so, I would love to hear what you are preparing.
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

I'm Italian, full blooded... duh... so on Christmas Eve,

We eat what's called.  "The Feast of Seven Fishes"... no meat... all fish, and it's usually Cod, Shrimp, Swordfish, Squid, Octopus,Crab or Lobster and a wonderful stew called Cioppino, with other fish and mussels in it...

Every year, that's what we have on Christmas Eve... on Christmas Day, we can't move from the night before... so we eat leftovers... LOL

We always eat early in the day, on EVE, even b4 LDL, so this will work out well for us this year.

I make all of my own bread, every day, (Haven't purchased bread in almost 2 years, of any kind because I make it all, bagels, hot dog buns, pita) and my hubby and kids are on this plan, with bread as the modifier, and bread plays a huge part in Christmas eve... so I'll be making copious amounts of bread, baguettes, foccaccia etc...
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

My sister married a full blooded Italian 30 odd years ago.  His mother came to visit from Ohio one year for Christmas and we had a Christmas eve Italian dinner.  For us Germans in Idaho it was very different and we of course had never tasted squid or octopus or most of the other types of seafood.  It was a real experience yet left wonderful memories.
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

Wendy... my hubby of 17 years took to my eating weird things like a duck to water.. my inlaws??? Not so much... LOL!

Breakfast today, after that fabulous meal last night... was a mango...

Lunch was a salad and another mango

Dinner was another mango and 2 oranges...

Yeah, there was a sale on mangoes... HOW DID YOU GUESS!

I'm still full from last night...

It was a 5 diamond restaurant and it was sooo spectacular...

Tomorrow... more fruit and soup... no meat...
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Oh, Sicilian Mama, I love mangoes, but am alergic to them!  I found this out after finding some in the grocery store years ago.  I ate one whole one on one day and then another whole one the next day -- then my lips broke out with these tiny bumps.  I'd have to say for the taste, mangoes are probably my favorite tasting fruit, but because of the reaction my lips have, I stay away from them.  I tried like different varieties to see if they would maybe work, but no luck with that.  I even tried eating them without touching my lips at all to the fruit!  Didn't work either!