Eating LDL and Eating LDL to lose weight... are two different things...

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
Sicilian Mama

Re: Eating LDL and Eating LDL to lose weight... are two different things...

Post by Sicilian Mama »

Coding, I've never even KNEW coconut oil was an option before LDL.. LOL!  I know they use it in restaurants and fast food joints as an alternative now...  and if you like it... go for it! :D
and Thank you for the support... I know RT has those things on the food list, as far as the FF this or that, but then on page 122, he says... don't eat dairy of any kind... We all learn and do what is necessary... I just have a bunch of ladies that are very new and I want them to succeed so badly... you should post a journal though... if only to help others because you are so knowledgeable...

Preachwife... SOOOO WELL SAID!

Clownlady --- I agree with Preachwife... hubby first, enjoy the company, and either bring your own food, or eat before you go and ENJOY!  You can do it!!!! I just know you can!
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Your Welcome!

Actually, I totally agree with RB Kayaking. I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of heat for what I'm about to say but I'm going to say it anyway.

The recipes need to be purged and anything that contains an occasional and/or non LDL item (I have seen a few) needs to be removed and/or revised. That's the only way the newbies are going to learn and the others can stay on track. If there isn't anything posted that we can't use EVERYDAY then we won't be tempted and fall off the train to Skinnytown.

OK, you guys can start throwing the tomatoes at me now.

CQ
Last edited by CodingQueen on January 11th, 2010, 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lulu65

Post by lulu65 »

I promise I wont throw tomatoes at anyone but rather roses  :laughing:  I am a newbie and I noticed the NO DAIRY and then I read FF this OK or SF that so I was confused, as I do like a splash of milk in my coffee  but I don't like the chemicals in the ff/sf I also would like to know whether 1% turkey breast (ground) or 7% fat Turkey breast... We do need a certain amt of fat in our body. I aim for under 30 grams per day .. I understand we do not need to count but I count because of sodium in the canned beans etc.. which I rinse.. I will be making real beans very soon.
Mama I think this is a great thread which can help us all..  :thumbsup:

Being a cancer survivor myself in 2008 I need to eat as healthy as possible and a couple of things I totally stay away from anything with MSG or nitrates

Once again thanks for this thread  :) and to all those who have contributed to it
preachwife

Post by preachwife »

You are right R B Kayaking ...The last time I checked this is a "Lets Do Lunch" eating plan site....If people want to start something new and add stuff then they should start their own eating plan and write a book about it Like Roger did... I only give my opinions about the foods on the plan that stalled or that works for me...I can eat popcorn everydaay and lose weight some can't...But popcorn is on plan...I stalled on corn thins(still on program)others eat them all the time...(still on LDL plan)...I eat smoothies all the time and still reached goal...They are on program too... Some would rather eat whole fruit...My point is that all these foods are on the list and it is O.K. to talk about it and have different opinions....BUT we should not be discussing off program foods ....Newbies come here to recieve good info to help them understand THIS way of eating ...I still do and I have reached my goal and lost more...

Preachwife
vleller

Post by vleller »

AMEN to all the comments!  :thumbsup:  Thanks Saundra for starting this discussion.  This needed to be mentioned and discussed among all of us.  It's a good reminder to us about re-reading the book and following the WOE RT discovered and shared.  If we slip and start adding a little of this or a little of that, to make it "taste better", we're just deluding and sabotaging ourselves. :thumbdown:

[glow=green,2,300]Lynn[/glow]
Lynn
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

You all are just plain the BEST!!! I really and truly thought I was alone in my thinking...

Louise,

Yes, 7% and 1 % are awesome!  I can't find those sometimes, and I buy the fattier when I have no option (because all the less fattening meat was purchased) and I cook it up and... I know, it doesn't sound right... BUT I RINSE THE MEAT WITH HOT WATER after cooking it (when making taco salad) and then i season it up with cumin and peppers and such... just to make sure all the excess fat is gone... That's an old WW trick...

I have yet to ever eat a corn thin... and I just started making smoothies...which I love!  Not everything on plan is going to work for all of us... but to add and continue to use the chemical stuff on a daily basis just isn't smart or healthy...

I remember in July, when I was new, I would ask questions and post what I ate, and the great ladies on here would caution me as to the ingredients in my seasonings and such (Im a chef, remember, so seasonings are my thing) and I sooo appreciated it! BUT... I didn't post it in a journal, I posted it as "Here's what I ate... is this okay?"  so others could reap the benefits of my mistakes.

Thank you all again!
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Sicilian Mama wrote: coconut oil....I know they use it in restaurants and fast food joints as an alternative now... 

there are different grades of coconut oil...i guarantee that fast food places are not using the high quality of coconut oil, neither are most restaurants..it's not a fat that's necessarily ON plan for let's do lunch....it's just that extra virgin coconut oil is probably the healthiest fat on the planet(cq..tell me if you disagree.....i'm using a little dramatic license to make a point)...extra virgin olive oil doesn't retain all it's benefits when it's heated....coconut oil does........i DON'T recommend eating it like some people do(because it's that difference of eating to lose weight vs eating to be healthy)but, i just got some that i ordered from my vitamin place and i'm going to use it in soups....i would still use olive oil for popcorn or salad when it's not heated or all the time, if you so choose, but this is the truth of the matter as i see it....

hey cq...no tomatoes....i'd rather eat them.............the only occasional ingredients i have in a COUPLE of recipes is stuffed grape leaves with a small amount of black/wild rice which can be omitted if anyone wants....originally, i made them with meat and lentils instead of rice and could easily modify the recipe...and, stuffed eggplant with a small amount of black/wild rice which ALSO could be omitted using lentils there also.....i often read recipes that have different cheeses and things and i can see how they could confuse people just coming on the boards....
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Sicilian Mama wrote: when I was new, I would ask questions and post what I ate, and the great ladies on here would caution me as to the ingredients in my seasonings and such.... BUT...I didn't post it in a journal, I posted it as "Here's what I ate... is this okay?"  so others could reap the benefits of my mistakes.

EXACTLY.............niki
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

Niki...

here's another for your friend... YOU ARE SO RIGHT!  LOL! :tongue:

I didn't meant to imply it was bad because restaurants use it... I read that they use it now to be more healthful... :kiss: which I think is great!  On January 1, California banned all trans fats from restaurants.. there's been an uproar... but I think it's wonderful.

I told my kids this morning that we are going to Disneyland when I reach 100 lbs lost...They are really on board with me now...
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Sicilian Mama wrote:Yes, 7% and 1 % are awesome!  I can't find those sometimes, and I buy the fattier when I have no option (because all the less fattening meat was purchased) and I cook it up and... I know, it doesn't sound right... BUT I RINSE THE MEAT WITH HOT WATER after cooking it (when making taco salad) and then i season it up with cumin and peppers and such... just to make sure all the excess fat is gone... That's an old WW trick...

if it's for taco salad, you could also put it over a couple of paper towels or leave the fat in the pan.....
if i use meat with more fat in it, i use less oil initially and end up cooking it in it's own fat than in added olive oil....when i use really lean meat, i always need to add more olive oil anyway because otherwise the meat won't brown....
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Sicilian Mama wrote:Niki...
here's another for your friend... YOU ARE SO RIGHT!  LOL! :tongue:

I didn't meant to imply it was bad because restaurants use it... I read that they use it now to be more healthful... :kiss: which I think is great!  On January 1, California banned all trans fats from restaurants.. there's been an uproar... but I think it's wonderful.

I told my kids this morning that we are going to Disneyland when I reach 100 lbs lost...They are really on board with me now...

now WHERE is debbie when i NEED her to see i'm RIGHT???

california is doing that?.....banning trans fat from their restaurants?...that's great..............
oh, but i didn't take it that way(thank you)......i just didn't know if you were aware of the different grades of coconut oil......i live in new york which is REALLY a melting pot of different cultures and there's a lot of haitian and jamaican cuisine that uses coconut oil and it's NOT extra virgin they use.... 
preachwife

Post by preachwife »

I stay away from any rice...I thought it is what everyone decided when they experimented with brown rice....They gained or stalled in weight loss...

Preachwife
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

Niki...

I was NOT aware of the grades... I 've never even heard of it until these boards... Learn something new every day!

I don't usually use oil when I cook ground beef... I have super duper non stick pans... but I think i'll start using a little for flavor (olive oil)... after I brown the meat, I add saute'd onions, roasted bell peppers , taco seasoning (my own or a package from the health food store with no sugar or gluten)ANY BEANS I have on hand, green onions, shredded cabbage, and frozen corn... to the base...and cook it all up until just crisp tender... then I spread it all out on a lovely platter, and top it with fresh salsa, avocado, cilantro, more fresh green onions (yes, I LOVE THEM) and I grub up! 

My family adds cheese to theirs on their own plates, (they are kids, and like a little cheese, they don't have weight problems) and we all season with heat in our own way by way of jalapeno's and such...
I need to go add this recipe to my blog... gotta go!
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Niki,

I have a friend who's a chemist and he's been saying that the high grade extra virgin coconut oil was what everyone should be cooking with for years. We got into a heated discussion about it a few years back because I thought he was nuts. He took me into his lab and place some olive oil under a microscope and let me look at it. He then preceded to heat it and let me look at it again. The cells had changed. I knew from taking chemistry that whenever cells are altered that means something else has been altered. Next, he continued to use others oil and they, too, were altered. He then did the same thing with coconut oil. The cells remained the same. He had proven his point. I started using it but still wasn't comfortable because it went against everything that I'd been taught in the past.

It wasn't until Dr. Mercola made his statement that I was totally comfortable using it. I even called my friend to apologize for ever doubting him. That was a big surprise to him because I never apologize. :laughing:

CQ
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

Wowee!

Chemist Rock!

I use the best EVOO in raw applications only... it's expensive and loses it's flavor if heated (plus, I'm Italian, and you just don't DO that to EVOO  LOL)... and just plain olive oil for cooking...

Coconut oil seems pretty cool...

I am smarter now that just a few minutes ago!
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Sicilian Mama -- I think everyone is glad you started this thread that you feared would open you up to a little scorn.  :D  :D

I even had someone locally who read the book (and is a black and white kind of person) say that they were a little confused because of the inconsistencies of some of the recipes in the book.  Some recipe ingredients are not the best as far as LDL is concerned.  I guess like the fat free items and a few of the condiments that are allowed that have a bit of sugar in them.  There is that part of the plan that encourages you to eat the best choice that you can while maintaining the taste that you personally need to make it work for you. 

I think what many of us have found is that experimentation is healthy -- a certain kind of experimentation.  Like, I found popcorn doesn't work for me like it does for preachwife.  We have to find what works for us.  The past week, I've been trying smoothies, which I never ate while losing to get to my goal.  I find my weight is up a little, so I'm thinking smoothies are too processed for me -- since my blender is doing what my teeth and jaws usually do to break down the fruit.  I think this is also why the scale has been my friend in this weight loss journey.  I've used my scale to help me find out what works for my body.  If I waited to weigh myself once a month, I wouldn't be able to do this type of experimentation to find out what works for me.  Again, if weighing yourself more than once a month messes with your mind -- don't do it.  God has made us all so differently and we have to understand what works for us. 

I think it is good to share our experiences -- like that the smoothies aren't the best for me.  Some they work great for.  That information is enough to get someone to wonder about themselves and they can try a week with no smoothies and see if it helps their weight loss.  You know? 

I don't think I go a day without thanking God for leading me to this way of eating.  I truly never thought I'd be this slim again.  I just accepted I'd gain more and more as I aged.  So glad I've found a painless way to stay slender.  This is real food the way it was meant to be.  I'm sure the rest of my life I'll share this good news with others.
lulu65

Post by lulu65 »

Sicilian Mama wrote:Wowee!

Chemist Rock!

I use the best EVOO in raw applications only... it's expensive and loses it's flavor if heated (plus, I'm Italian, and you just don't DO that to EVOO  LOL)... and just plain olive oil for cooking...

Coconut oil seems pretty cool...

I am smarter now that just a few minutes ago!

I am not Italian but I do use the best EVO for salad dressing etc and when I used to mix balsamic vinegar and balsamic vinegar to dip bread into... but for cooking I use an olive oil that I buy from an Italian shop has it in bulk. .I bring in my own bottle.. but I will check out the coconut oil also (ev)  I have learned a lot about olive oil.. some of the brands are not certified true exoo.. Dr Andrew Weil did a post on that..
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

Oh... I love Andrew Weil... he makes sooo much good sense!
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Yes, I think going to one of his spa/retreats in Arizona for about a week or two would be a very nice vacation.

CQ
lulu65

Post by lulu65 »

CodingQueen wrote:Yes, I think going to one of his spa/retreats in Arizona for about a week or two would be a very nice vacation.

CQ

Oh that would be a nice holiday, really nice.. :)