Eating LDL and Eating LDL to lose weight... are two different things...

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
niki
Administrator

Re: Eating LDL and Eating LDL to lose weight... are two different things...

Post by niki »

crickadoodle wrote:Some recipe ingredients are not the best as far as LDL is concerned.  I guess like the fat free items and a few of the condiments that are allowed that have a bit of sugar in them.  There is that part of the plan that encourages you to eat the best choice that you can while maintaining the taste that you personally need to make it work for you.  

you have to always bear in mind that a lot of what's in the book is what roger did to lose all that weight...like certain condiments or certain canned soups.....he used to buy bean salad that had sugar in it and drain and eat it.........he did  the best he could with what was available at the time......bear in mind that that's over 15 years ago.........
Last edited by niki on January 11th, 2010, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
RB Kayaking
Master Member

Post by RB Kayaking »

CQ,

Did your chemist friend test grapeseed oil?  I love this oil because it's so light and has a high cooking temp.  I am one of the fe that dislikes the taste of evoo!

RB
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Hey, Niki!  Yes, I realized that Roger was sharing what he did to lose the weight, it was just confusing to my friend who really likes things spelled out without any gray area. (I think LDL is still evolving a little even now.  That is a good thing.)  Even the most current copy of the book didn't change some of the recipes included.  I had no problem with it, but I really don't use the recipes in the book.  Your soup is still my most used recipe, and it isn't in the book.  Somebody needs to make a note to put it in the next edition!  *love* :thumbsup: 

I understood  (and agree with) the thought in the book that you have to enjoy what you are eating, or you'll give up the whole thing.  I like that about LDL.  Some people are all or nothing, though, and that throws them.  Yet, it is true, if it isn't enjoyable for you, you'll give up.
lulu65

Post by lulu65 »

crickadoodle wrote:Hey, Niki!  Yes, I realized that Roger was sharing what he did to lose the weight, it was just confusing to my friend who really likes things spelled out without any gray area. (I think LDL is still evolving a little even now.  That is a good thing.)  Even the most current copy of the book didn't change some of the recipes included.  I had no problem with it, but I really don't use the recipes in the book.  Your soup is still my most used recipe, and it isn't in the book.  Somebody needs to make a note to put it in the next edition!  *love* :thumbsup: 

I understood  (and agree with) the thought in the book that you have to enjoy what you are eating, or you'll give up the whole thing.  I like that about LDL.  Some people are all or nothing, though, and that throws them.  Yet, it is true, if it isn't enjoyable for you, you'll give up.

I was a bit disappointed today to get my book (the red one) and still find such things as cool whip lite, etc. ff cheese which does have sugar in it.. I thought that since it is 15 years later that it would have been more recent.. Pretty much everything that is in the book is on the boards.. but i will follow it and leave out what I choose.. I read in someones journal about Smuckers  sugar free chocolate topping..  If I had that I would go through it like.. It might be ok for a rare occasion but I think I would rather have a real choc in a blue moon than get hooked on this stuff.. this is my opinion.. and really I am too new to make comments probably
Last edited by lulu65 on January 11th, 2010, 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

RB Kayaking wrote:CQ,

Did your chemist friend test grapeseed oil?  I love this oil because it's so light and has a high cooking temp.  I am one of the fe that dislikes the taste of evoo!

RB

I'm sure he has but that particular day he used olive oil, canola oil, corn oil, safflower oil, sesame oil and coconut oil to convince me. I'll have to ask him the next time I talk to him.

CQ
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

Louise...

I completely agree...

It's the other diet plans... that say... 'YOU CAN HAVE CAKE EVERY DAY... JUST COUNT THE POINTS!"... to me... I have to say to myself... "NO, YOU CAN'T HAVE CAKE... YOU ARE ADDICTED TO FOOD... THE FOOD MUST BE A COMPLETE CHANGE FROM WHAT YOU ARE EATING...OR YOU'LL JUST TRIP UP AGAIN..." over and over and over again... it got exhausting.  A sliver got  a little bigger the next time, then bigger again... and then I would have conversation with myself like..."Oh, just eat it... count the points, just do better tomorrow" then tomorrow came... and another sliver... It was a never ending cycle.

I don't truly understand why this plan clicked so much with me...it really seems effortless now... i dont think about it much, unless I'm on here...it's like this way of eating is now my autopilot... which is what I was striving for on all the other plans.

I DO AGREE... it should probably be majorly updated... I've never heard of half the brand name labels in the book... So much study has been done on all the "plastic" food (ff stuff) that one study said that margarine is one molecule away from being plastic... and your body recognizes butter better... which of course is a no no on this plan...

I made the decision not to have the ff stuff, because of what I know about it, and what my Aunt's doctor cautioned her about every time she went in for a visit.  She had diabetes, heP C, and that stuff was completely off limits...her prescription for food? Whole foods... colors... lean meats... no bread... basically... LDL 2010!
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

This is the plan that I've been looking for because it is enjoyable and doable.  I had never tried a smoothie until I started on this plan--love them-- I've lost two more lbs this week even though I have eaten tons.  I have enjoyed adding evco to my stir fries and popcorn.  I enjoy evoo for dressings. I have no fear of regaining my 45 lbs because I am not going to bend on nibbling on white sugar sweets and on pizza.  I am a food addict, just as SM wrote.  Making the pizza soup and little pizza with cornthins satisfy me for pizza.  I've watched my weight most of my adult life, and usually stayed hungry.  I had just resigned myself to being a plus.  This plan seems like a miracle, because I love fruit so very much.  The book hasn't confused me, and people's journals don't bother me, but the recipe cards did use rice a whole lot in them.  I have cooked very basic, mostly from scratch, and my weight loss has been consistent except for  a 3 week period when I began exercising. Crick told me that my muscles probably were holding water to protect them. That had to be it, because my weight started dropping again, and has not stopped.  I froze a whole lot of grapes when they were 79 cents a lb.  Pineapples and apples have been cheap this winter.  I like the stewed apples.  I just came from our senior monthly meeting.  People are so interested in LDL.  I didn't choose to eat my scalloped potatoes or dessert of cake and icecream.  I had no desire for them, but I loved the fellowship.  I had taken an apple and a box of raisins, but didn't need them.  Glad to have you back on the boards, Preachwife. :)  :thumbsup: JF
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Wanda- Are you at goal now?  You are an inspiration  :rose:!  Pam
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

RB Kayaking wrote:CQ,

RB

I emailed him out of curiosity and he said, "No." He's only used the more common cooking oils that are usually found in everyone's pantry. He did say that it had a higher flash point and would probably be OK to use for sauteing.

CQ
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Sicilian Mama wrote: I have to say to myself... "NO, YOU CAN'T HAVE CAKE... YOU ARE ADDICTED TO FOOD... THE FOOD MUST BE A COMPLETE CHANGE FROM WHAT YOU ARE EATING...OR YOU'LL JUST TRIP UP AGAIN..." over and over and over again... it got exhausting.  A sliver got  a little bigger the next time, then bigger again... and then I would have conversation with myself like..."Oh, just eat it... count the points, just do better tomorrow" then tomorrow came... and another sliver... It was a never ending cycle.

as i read this, i said,"yes...oh yes yes yes...........yes...yes"....and NOW, we're sisters.............
not everyone is like this....there are people on these boards that were never dieters and because of that when they had babies or different things happened to them and their bodies changed, they gained weight and then didn't know how to get rid of it...they go on let's do lunch and can eat this way FOREVER with never a temptation or a problem because they were never compulsive eaters to begin with...........
i was sometimes criticized for being overly rigid in my observance of let's do lunch.....i would tell people that if they were really serious, they shouldn't eat certain things.......they would write that they weren't losing and i'd go over with them every day what they ate and i would make suggestions to them of what they should and shouldn't be eating......i would get tired of making suggestions that they weren't listening to....someone who would write that she was eating corn thins and polaner's preserves before bed and wanted to know why she wasn't losing weight........luckily, you can eat the basic plan and never feel deprived...because that's what a lot of women need to do to be successful...
the main thing is that i KNOW that i can't go off a little....i spiral out of control........some people say here that they can't stand the taste of the old favorites........and, they say that after even a few months.....i was on let's do lunch for a year and a half without ever going off and STILL if i start eating things i shouldn't, they taste GREAT.......then, i hate myself and THE CYCLE BEGINS...
what helped me, as a greek, was all those homemade bean soups that i could eat as much as i wanted of..........that helped me more than ANYTHING................
my mother went home to be with the Lord more than 20 years ago...she would have LOVED eating this way AND losing weight...she STOPPED eating beans when she dieted because she believed they were fattening...in fact, now that i think of it, she wouldn't have BELIEVED me until she WATCHED me eat bean soup and lose weight.........
so, i resign myself to the fact that i will always be a junk food addict just like an alcoholic is always an alcoholic....THANK GOD, when i'm on track with let's do lunch i don't WANT to eat any of that old stuff and i'm totally fine.......i have to be back on for a week....after a week, i can have ANYTHING in the house and not be tempted.............
Last edited by niki on January 12th, 2010, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
RB Kayaking
Master Member

Post by RB Kayaking »

CQ,

Thanks.  I'll continue using it because it is so light.

Niki,

I am sure being addicted to food is why RT believes that some things are fatting when they really arent't and because most people can't eat "just one" he says to avoid them.

I believe we should follow his advice.  If for some reason someone can eat something off plan and have no trouble with it they shouldn't come back and say, "I eat that without any trouble," because you don't know people's triggers.

Facebook might be the place to talk about off foods--

Six months hasn't got me there yet as in eating some ole time favorites and not liking them.  That's why I didn't make sugar or gingerbread cookies for Christmas.  A big bowl of grapes works wonders but those ole taste buds are strong.  As long as I don't taste and I don't desire to taste I'm fine.

I think it's great, Niki, that you admit to having a problem with off plan foods to this day.  This swoe is not a jail sentence, you can walk away when ever you want, but it is a way of life that works and is not difficult to follow.

Thanks for your imput and I'm not one who when asks for advice argues or ignores given advice.

RB
Wolfmother

Post by Wolfmother »

I am an alcoholic and I can relate to addictions.  I quit drinking cold turkey and have not had a drink in over 15 years.  I always said if I could give up all foods (quit cold turkey) I would be able to lose the weight.  Now with this program I can.  I have to give up the sweets, pastas, potatoes and breads completely as just a taste would have me wanting more.  Now I see where the other programs did not work as I was still eating these foods and trying to eat them in moderation which did not work.

Cold turkey YUMMMMMM
Debbie

Saved4Life

Post by Saved4Life »

Debbie/Wolfmother,

Welcome and best of luck to you with LDL...it's a wonderful, God sent plan that can change our eating habbits for life.  I'm starting over after a very bad period of time - dealing with too much stress - but I'm determined now not to let that poision my mind and have control over me!

Doreen
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

I don't know how many people here remember me talking about my friend, Jack, who is an alcoholic. I convinced him that LDL was the way for him to finally lose all his weight and when he started the program he didn't need the sugar from the alcohol anymore. He was able to quit....something that he'd never been able to accomplish even after going into rehab a number of times. He says that as long as he eats fruit for breakfast and dinner he's fine. I just wish that he'd found LDL sooner.

Wolfmother, I'm really proud of you for being able to abstain for that long and with LDL you will be able to continue to do so. *hug*

CQ
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

Niki.. WE ARE SISTERS!!! I get bashed for being to rigid too... I get a lot of personal emails saying "You really need to be more caring and easy going with so and so... she is doing the best she can, she is doing fine." to which I reply "I tell her what she eats is hindering her BECAUSE I CARE... enabling someone may seem like the "nice" way to do it... but it's not helping anyone"  They were quiet after that.   :thumbsup: :kissed:

RB- I agree that some foods are great for us that aren't on plan, and indulge in those healthy things on my own, but never divulge on here...if someone wants to know... they can email me in person... I totally agree. :kissed:

Debbie 15 YEARS...YOU ARE THE BOMB!!! for being sober!  . THIS WILL BE SOOOO REWARDING!  So proud of you!
Last edited by Anonymous on January 12th, 2010, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Right on, Sicilian Mama, Wolf, Niki and RB!

Like you, Niki, I don't think I will ever be someone who hates the old flavors or gets sick if I eat something off plan. BUT, if I don't crave them, I don't have to battle the desire to eat them, and I can easily decide that I like what is happening to me, and I don't want to endanger it. My choice, not a battle.

Terri
lulu65

Post by lulu65 »

off topic but congrats Debbie..15 years is super..  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: my son is sober close to 20... He did it himself but I helped by not enabling.. I used what I call tough love.. he has thanked me for it over and over.. He has reaped the rewards of being a non drinker with a wonderful wife etc.. all good things for which I am very happy for him.. 2 years ago in Aug he quite smoking and never touched again. also.. now he has gained a few lbs and is working to get that off.. he is 43.. again sorry to be off topic.. but tough love even with ourselves is important..  
I know I am addicted to food and right now I am fighting off not having bread... truly I am ... but I will get through it I know why.. I am hungry.. only had 2 bananas all day.. It is 2:04 pm our time.
I truly love people who are honest and sincere with me.. I believe that part of support is constructive criticism
There are some great folks here and I like it.
I do not see many off plan foods though on Facebook maybe I am not looking in the right place.
I know  I do love Sandra's recipes very much...  
Last edited by lulu65 on January 12th, 2010, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Lulu, don't skimp on the beans and corn! It will kick your cravings for bread. Really, it will! Eat it until you can't eat another bite -- then take just one more bite!

You're right, if you get too hungry, you start looking for ANYthing to fill the empty space. Hungry is good so you can fill up and enjoy your meal, but famished is asking for trouble!

Best of luck!
Terri
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

Louise,

We were just saying that if someone wanted to bring up off plan foods, maybe FB would be the place to say it...

So awesome about your son.. you must be so proud!
lulu65

Post by lulu65 »

tprouty wrote:Lulu, don't skimp on the beans and corn! It will kick your cravings for bread. Really, it will! Eat it until you can't eat another bite -- then take just one more bite!

You're right, if you get too hungry, you start looking for ANYthing to fill the empty space. Hungry is good so you can fill up and enjoy your meal, but famished is asking for trouble!

Best of luck!
Terri

Thank you Terri.. and SM.... I misunderstood RB's post up thread about posting off limit foods on Facebook  sorry RB  :rose:
Thank you Terri again now to the store I have no beans and nothing nothing ..only 1% ground turkey and boy that is dry....  :rose:
and thanks SM I am proud and so is he.. now if old mom can get over her addiction of food that would be great.. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks..  :laughing: