Eating LDL and Eating LDL to lose weight... are two different things...

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
Deborah D.
Master Member

Re: Eating LDL and Eating LDL to lose weight... are two different things...

Post by Deborah D. »

Hard to teach an old dog new tricks..  

Not if the old dog WANTS to learn new tricks. :D :D :D

Deborah D.
I live in Burleson, TX
Restarted LDL on April 11,2012
Starting weight 295 lbs
Goal weight 125 lbs

lulu65

Post by lulu65 »

Deborah D. wrote:
Hard to teach an old dog new tricks..  

Not if the old dog WANTS to learn new tricks. :D :D :D

Deborah D.

Deb... I was starving earlier.. .did the grocery.. did not cheat on anything nor was I tempted.. I had the good blinders on..... the old dog is a learning   :laughing: she made taco salad today huge one and had that for lunch with raw shredded cabbage etc.. oh my I am so full I cannot move..  supper will be small   :thumbsup:
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I think most of us were addicted to food, for sure!  I love that if I eat the LDL way, the food cravings are dealt with and I no longer am controlled by food.  Not to say that I wouldn't be addicted to food again, if I let the triggers back in.  I experienced that some after the holidays.  If I hadn't gone on a soup and fruit flush, I think those cravings could have kicked back in full fledged.  I so love that about LDL.  There is hope if you do eat off plan and deal with it quickly -- or even not so quickly, I guess.  Everyone is different.  I had never done the soup and fruit flush since beginning LDL until after the holidays.  I never needed it.  It really did work for me -- even dealt with all the weight gain.  (I know, it had to be water weight, but still, it came off.) 

Does a day go by that I don't thank God for leading me to this wonderful plan?  and to this site with all of you who have encouraged me and stretched me and made me think?  Thank you all for sharing yourselves and your thoughts and your experiences.  All of this has really helped me so much.  I look forward to reading about your struggles and your victories and your advice.  :rose:

And I whole heartedly agree that I had to be "rigid" or focused or whatever you want to call it.  As great as LDL is to get rid of the cravings, for me to really lose the weight, I ate fruit only for breakfast and dinner -- with a great big lunch of lean meat, beans (usually soup), and veggies.  I had to stay away from the popcorn -- for sure at night, anyway.  I think I could eat a little with my lunch and I'd still lose.  Here again, I think it is so healthy for us to share our experiences, so others who are struggling can see they aren't alone. 
Last edited by crickadoodle on January 12th, 2010, 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blessed

Post by blessed »

Thanks for starting this thread.  I read every post and a few things became more clear to me.  Now I need to go check all the recipes I copied, and look for some Extra Virgin Coconut oil.  I liked the suggestion of purging the recipes and just leaving the LDL approved ones for people like me that are fairly new.  Who wants to volunteer to ask Roger or Mary about that?  Anyone? Anyone?
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

I would ask... but truthfully, they probably wouldn't because it just takes a minute to see of the recipe is something that is okay to eat...

My personal exception, since you've read all this thread, so I'm sure you already know how I feel about Fat Free cheese, mayo, miracle whip, and all that other garbage  :blink: would just eliminate those things from your plan too...

It was written 15 years ago, and so much has been studied about those things... still, the plan is awesome and works...

Can't go wrong recipes are...

Pizza Soup            green salads loaded raw veggies          Chicken Breast (BBQ'd) or Roasted
Taco soup              Hummus on Wolfmothers journal            STeak
Beef/bean burgers    Rags Soup (mine, on a thread named Rags Soup, original, I know)    Bean Cakes are a favorite of lots of people
Stir Frys
Chili soup (also mine, I posted it on my blog)
See?  Lots of food already... and so many more!
Ask questions on a thread and people will tell you if its okay or not... and you just take the advice that best fits your taste...

Enjoy!
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

Mama,

Good start!!  I believe almost any of the soup recipes on the boards qualify for LDL.  If a recipe calls for cheese of any kind, leave it out -- it will not change or enhance the taste.  In fact, if any recipe contains anything that has sugar, seeds of any kind, or if you are in doubt about the recipe, don't make it.  Ask a question on the boards and someone will help you out.

Vicki
RB Kayaking
Master Member

Post by RB Kayaking »

This is a free site to us and a place to talk about our successes. Everyone is free to post recipes--they just need to use restraint when posting that something that isn't totally LDL friendly.

It would be a huge undertaking to purge the recipes and hurt feelings would arise from this purging.

Maybe a words reminding us that not all recipes are for everyday consumption.

RB
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

RB,

I agree with you about purging the recipes.  The food police do a really good job of reviewing a recipe and then adding a comment about what is not good to use.  For example, I used Bush's kidney beans in a recipe because they were listed on one of Roger's laminated recipe cards and I liked the recipe so much I posted it on the recipe board.  Little Mary came right back to me and told me that Bush's kidney beans contain sugar so I should find a different one to use.  I immediately modified my recipe on the boards.

Another thing a member could do when posting a recipe is to state that the recipe contains an ingredient that stalls weight loss (like FF cheeses, FF sour cream, FF cream cheese, breadcrumbs, chickpea flower, etc.) or maybe how often they make it.  For example, I make Tyra's Chicken Parmesan (a laminated card recipe ) that uses seasoned bread crumbs. I probably have made this dish three times in 6 months.  I could add a note about how often I make this and I could caution members not to make this dish if they haven't gotten rid of the craving for starches.

I would appreciate any comments about my suggestion  *hug*

Vicki
blessed

Post by blessed »

Wow!  Thanks for the suggestions.  I will look for your Rags Soup on the soup board, but how do I find your blog for the Chili Soup?  I need to lose about 120 to 130 pounds and you all are so encouraging. 
A couple of questions:  1.  I see recipes asking for Knorr bouillion cubes, but I haven't found any without sugar.  Do we avoid it and use broth?
2.  When making your stir fry, what do you use for the sauce?  Or do you not use a sauce?  In the past I used Oyster flavored Sauce, but that has sugar.  Thanks again for all your help. 
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

Vickylynn... PERFECT SUGGESTION!!!!

Blessed...

my stir fry sauce is a dry rub (any you like, mixed with little water), olive oil, and a tiny, tiny bit of Hoisin.  I like to experiment with my flavors and really try to add things that are tasty, nutritious, and I try to stay away from pre packaged sauces and learn to make my own... that being said... Olive oil and salt is fast becoming my favorite...
My Stir Fries are exactly "Asian" as they are quick fried and a way to get a lot of beans into my gullet!

Bouillion cubes make my ankles swell like nobodies business.  I think they are used because of their convenience, they are relatively low in calories and they do add chickeny flavor or beef flavor.
I am a huge proponent of using homemade stocks... I have a post on that on the boards too... called "How to make your own stock" another original... I know... LOL... Costco also sells a good, fat free, free range chicken stock in a three pack that tastes good, but again... heavy on the salt.  As for me and my ankles, we stay away from store bought stock... but I do know it tastes very good, and if you add water to the stock, it tastes less salty.

I hope to buy a flip camera soon, so I can post how I make food LDL style on You tube...

Until then... enjoy eating this way!  You will NOT be sorry!  The people on this particular thread of some of my fave on these boards... very knowledgable, very forthcoming, very honest!
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Cool thought to have LDL recipes prepared on YouTube!  Thanks, Sicilian Mama!  You are doing such good to help others, while you help yourself too.  You a such a blessing!  Thanks!
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Sicilian Mama, I wish I lived closer to you -- I would sooooo enjoy some cooking sessions with you! All that fresh, good stuff! Mmmmmm!

Yes, it is absolutely true that we should avoid sugar in all of its forms. And grain/gluten products. And unhealthy fats. Since this is a permanent lifestyle change, we also need to not make ourselves CRAZY!  :wacko: There are times when avoiding EVERYTHING would just be overwhelmingly impossible.

So I read labels on everything I pick up in the store. If it has sugar, I look for something similar or another brand that doesn't have sugar, something I can substitute, or try to figure out if I can make it myself with my own ingredients. If I can't find something to replace it, my next choice is to make sure any sugars or starches are at the bottom of the ingredient list or are listed in the "less than 2%" category. And then I use it VERY sparingly, and not for everyday use. If it has MSG, hydrogenated anything, or hydrolized anything, I automatically put it back on the shelf.

In the book, Roger says over and over that we need to enjoy this way of living -- so we should make the least fattening choices that still taste good to us. The vast majority of the things we choose to put in our bodies should be whole, healthy choices, clean of any of the "trigger" ingredients that might bring on cravings. That way, if there is the occasional ingredient that has a small amount of sugar or starch, but we can't replace, it will be unlikely to cause damage.

What I CAN'T do is say, "Oh well, it's only a little bit of sugar or starch, so it won't hurt if I use it all the time, and I like it, so I'll use it generously." If I make that exception for a few things, more and more exceptions start creeping in, and pretty soon I'm back in the same sinking boat. I have to ALWAYS be conscious of ingredients, and try to make the choices that fit LDL the best. It is easy to get complacent and slack off!

When reading the recipes and other people's journals, I also have to be aware that some things work for others, but not for me, and vice-versa. This is a lifestyle, not a rigid diet plan, so I have to learn, a step at a time, what works for me, and what I can live with.

I have soooo many great recipes from these boards, I'll NEVER be able to try them all!  :tongue:

Honestly, I've never been 7 months into a diet and NOT been frustrated or looking for excuses to cheat. With LDL, I still have to be vigilant, but I have no frustration, and no reason to look forward to being off this plan, or making excuses to cheat. And if I do goof up or choose to eat off plan for some reason, it has never been so easy to get right back on the train.

Love LDL!
Terri
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Terri, you are so right!  I've never followed a weight loss plan for this long and not been ready to abandon it for some comfort food or something unhealthily sweet and fattening.  This is just so different from the rest.  I'm so glad I've found it.
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Terri and Crick- I couldn't agree with you more.  Sometimes I just marvel at how long I've been on plan, how much weight I've discarded, and how I Never think in terms of "when this diet is over."  It's a lifestyle and is for life!!  It is awesome!!!  And to think, if I'd never discovered LDL, I wouldn't be doing LDL today, would never have met all you wonderful people, would weigh more than I did in May, and would be so disgusted with myself.  This is one of the best things that has ever happened to and for me.  Pam
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I'm so glad, Pam!  *hug*  I feel the same way. 
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

Me too!

I finally see the end of the tunnel... I know being a normal weight is within my grasp... more than I've ever felt it before.
RB Kayaking
Master Member

Post by RB Kayaking »

Ditto for me guys!

I talked to a few (3) people at our PTSA's a NEW YEAR, A NEW YOU Tuesday night.  So many students and staff needed to hear about LDL but just couldn't be bothered into coming out.

After the normal questions, "How much have you lost?  How long have you been doing it?  How much can you eat?  I can't eat that much at lunch.  Give up chocolate, pasta, bread?"

Then came, "How long do you have to avoid chocolate, bread, pasta?"

If I can just get them started.

RB
blessed

Post by blessed »

Sicilian Mama, I tried you 2/4 or 6 bean soup last night, using 4 beans.  I loved, loved, loved it.  Ate two bowls. 
What an encouraging group here.  I am going out of town for a few days.  Going to stay as close as I can to plan, and hopefully when I get back I can do only fruit for breakfast and Dinner and lose a lot of weight.  I think I will probably need to eat more for lunch to hold me over.  I will try not to eat in the afternoon unless my blood sugar needs a boost.   
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

RB -- it's the getting them started that is the hard part, I guess. 

Isn't it something that once you are on this program, you really don't desire to be off it.  So what if I ever eat pasta again!  I really don't care.  I have beans!  My body isn't craving it at all.  I might eat bread on occasion, maybe.  I don't feel like I need to, though.  I'm not so sure I will.  So much that seemed like I needed it for life, I've found I really can easily do without.  I can do quite well without it, thank you very much!  In fact, I can easily stay slender without it.  :thumbsup:
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Hello Friends, I've been so busy, and in spare time had a book to read, finished it this morning, then I worked.  I have to go back in another hour.  I agree with you on finding this way of eating for weight loss and for health.  We went to our daughter's for dinner last night-delicious.  Her whole family ate LDL.  She had added rolls and chips for non lDL.  Her soup and Texas Cavair were treats.  I had  a feast here today.  I fixed grilled grouper and roasted veggies(asparagus, parsnips, Z squash, and jicami with co.  I mashed cauliflower with a little CBINB.  I fixed hubby spaghetti and meatballs with garlic bread.  We both had fresh salads.  I still can't believe I can eat so much and lose.  It's true.  I went shopping a day-so many good sales.  It is so much fun to try on clothes. I took my 50th wedding anniversary dress for alteration.  I am taking it on the cruise. I couldn't find a dressy dress that I liked as well.  It's tea length.  I had a lot of inches taken off.  Sorry Pam,  that you're not close for alterations.  Maybe, you only do bridal clothes?  I am looking forward to ordering  food on the cruise.  I don't plan to mess around.  I never want cravings raging again.  So good to read all your posts. *hug* *hug* Joyful Friend