Spaghetti

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
Nananew
New, but learning

Spaghetti

Post by Nananew »

Hi Everyone:

I just made spaghetti tonight and it was delicious.  Now maybe this idea has been on the boards or posts before but I haven't seen it.  I was in WalMart grocery shopping today and noticed that the bag of raw shredded broccoli slaw (found in produce)  looked about the same size as spaghetti noodles so I purchased a bag and some low fat/low sodium spaghetti sauce.  I boiled the broccoli slaw mix until it was tender, then drained it and put on my plate and then just warmed the sauce and spooned some of it over the broccoli (noodles) and I couldn't tell the difference.  I had the same consistancy as regular noodles and I got that extra benefit from the veggies in the broccoli slaw mix.  Hope this helps someone else who may be craving spaghetti.  You could also add ground turkey/ground sirloin to the sauce for a protein meal.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wTOXad9/]
Sicilian Mama

Re: Spaghetti

Post by Sicilian Mama »

very inventive!
Wolfmother

Post by Wolfmother »

I got my spaghetti fix the other day too.  I steamed spaghetti squash and at the same time I was making Pizza Soup.  Before adding the water to the soup it was thick so I took a scoop of that and put it on the squash...lovely spaghetti.

The idea hit me while I was making the soup and I just went with it. 
Debbie

redkat

Post by redkat »

I love the idea of using the broccoli slaw.  I've used the spaghetti squash before and really like that, but the slaw seems easier and quicker.  Thanks, Nana
Kathy
Bethann
Master Member

Post by Bethann »

Thanks Nana!  :rose:
I'm going to try that!  :)
Bethann
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

I had spaghetti squash last night for the first time, with meatballs with sauce... It was pretty darn good,,, but will try the slaw too.  I found a great jar sauce,,, it was Mario B (can't think of his last night) and it was soooo yummy, all fresh ingredients and NO sugar... it was his marinara sauce.. 

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
barrypaxton
Master Member

Post by barrypaxton »

I grew spaghetti squash in my garden a couple of years ago. My 2 plants yielded over 20 squash. Does anyone know if you can freeze that things?

Many blessings,
Ollie
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
freight_chik
New, but learning

Post by freight_chik »

I have a spaghetti squash on the counter that I plan on using...and I made the spaghetti sauce recipe from here last night as DH and youngin wanted spaghetti....so I made it for them....and froze the leftovers as I had 3 bean salad and a smoothie for supper.  So that gives me some sauce in the future...but i'm also going to try the pizza soup...right now I have plenty of stuff in the fridge to keep me busy for a few days....made the 3 bean salad yesterday afternoon....had meatloaf for lunch so I have that as well as the tomato soup....I go back to work on Friday....so i'll be set for meals for my 4 days of sheer bliss (note HEAVY sarcasm....LOL)
being a Christian doesn't mean being perfect. It means being forgiven by a GOD who is.

"she who kneels before God can stand before anyone." -Author Unknown
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

Thank you Nananew for your suggestion of broccoli slaw. 
In the fridge I had some of Carolyn's Marinara http://www.letsdolunch.com/boards/index ... pic=2135.0.
So, for a quick meal I picked up a ready to eat roast chicken and the broccoli slaw.  First I tried the marinara with just the cooked slaw and liked it.  Even my dh ate it.  Broccoli is not normally his thing.  Then I had some with the white chicken breast added in.  Oh yum!

I agree with the idea of using Little Mary's pizza soup as a sauce over the veggies too! :thumbsup:
mrsj
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

I am trying this tonight with the broccili slaw!  Yumm,,, can't wait!

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
freight_chik
New, but learning

Post by freight_chik »

I did spaghetti squash last night for the first time...YUMM!!  Although It was really good with just some garlic pepper and a smidge of salt...when I added the sauce to it..I didn't like it as well...I had enough to have later this weekend...and I think i'll just do the seasonings with no sauce.  I'm going to try to find the broccoli slaw and see how that goes!
being a Christian doesn't mean being perfect. It means being forgiven by a GOD who is.

"she who kneels before God can stand before anyone." -Author Unknown
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

I think I like the spaghetti squash better,,, but hubby liked the brocolli slaw better, LOL.

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

mrsj wrote:In the fridge I had some of Carolyn's Marinara http://www.letsdolunch.com/boards/index ... pic=2135.0.

This spaghetti sauce is better than any store bought one!  I make the entire recipe and then freeze it in portions for two (my husband and me). Harrison's Meatballs is a fantastic recipe -- my husband likes them better than any others I have made before LDL.  However, I have always served it over spaghetti squash, but I love to try out new techniques so broccoli slaw is a must do.  Thanks for the suggestion Nananew  :thumbsup:
jaydensmommy

Post by jaydensmommy »

VickiLynn wrote:
mrsj wrote:In the fridge I had some of Carolyn's Marinara http://www.letsdolunch.com/boards/index ... pic=2135.0.

This spaghetti sauce is better than any store bought one!  I make the entire recipe and then freeze it in portions for two (my husband and me). Harrison's Meatballs is a fantastic recipe -- my husband likes them better than any others I have made before LDL.  However, I have always served it over spaghetti squash, but I love to try out new techniques so broccoli slaw is a must do.  Thanks for the suggestion Nananew  :thumbsup:

I like the spaghetti squash so much better.
Debbie B
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I am going to use the broccoli slaw in the stirfry recipes and cabbage rolls
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...