Genetically Engineered corn and soy -- link to obesity

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Genetically Engineered corn and soy -- link to obesity

Post by crickadoodle »

I know lots of people eat corn with Let's Do Lunch, so it would be wise to find non genetically engineered corn.  (not so easy to do)

Here is an article on Dr. Mercola's website:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... L_artNew_1

I have found a good non GMO popcorn from Amish County Popcorn. 
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Re: Genetically Engineered corn and soy -- link to obesity

Post by MsHeirloom »

Great to see you Crick.  I saw this on Mercola this morning.  Unfortunately, most corn in the USA is genetically engineered (and one has to wonder about cross-pollination for the rest!)  Thanks for sharing.  It gives us all something to think about.        Pam
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Yes, the article said something about how animals that eat GMO corn really gain weight faster.  Obesity is linked to eating GMO corn. 
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Petaluma seed in California sell heirloom seeds so if you can grow anything at all these seeds are not genetically modified and you can save seeds from these plants to regrow next season!
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
chewy

Post by chewy »

eden brand  popping corn is non GMO and organic.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Thanks Chewy!
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Chewy -- I just got some Eden Brand popcorn for my husband.  Haven't used it yet.  I am almost out of the one from Amish Country and saw this other brand on Vitacost's website. I order from Vitacost all the time and it was easy to order it from them. 

Mary -- I know what you mean about GMOs.  They are trying to do something in California legally to force food companies to label all GMO foods.  If a big state like California requires it, then at least we'll have an easier time of getting the information.  The good thing about eating unprocessed food is that we have been avoiding a lot of the bad GMO stuff.  Canola oil and soybean oil are biggies (along with corn -- think of how everything has High Fructose Corn Syrup in it!!), because both soybeans and rapeseed (what they make canola oil from) are mostly GMOs.  I know a lot of LDLers like to eat edamame and soynuts too.  A friend of ours told us about being taken to a cornfield by a farmer friend of his and he showed him how beautiful the corn was, by pullling back the leaves and revealing a perfect specimen of corn on the cob.  He told him that it was genetically modified and that the insects that try to eat it -- their intestines explode, basically.  I think, "Well, what does it do to my intestines?"  All the people with IBS and Crohn's disease, among others -- really seems epidemic to me.  From what I've read, most European countries will not allow GMO in their country.  Monsanto has so much power in this country, that is scary.  They are trying to own all the seeds. 
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Crick you are so right!  It is truly frightening that these big companies see no problem in genetically altering our foods WITHOUT our consent!  I think about Mary's lil Harrison and about my family and friends as well as my own health and well being.  I wonder if the Publix corn I buy is GMO.  UGH!  Something else to check out.  Thanks for the info though.

And the other thought that bothers me about all of this is that each insect serves a purpose on this planet.  Yes they can be a pain to deal with, but when you start altering the food chain, well, how long until we don't have the chain anymore?

Blessed and loved,
LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Was putting an order together for Vitacost and saw this so decided to check it out. Maybe I am missing something, but it says the Eden Brand is organically grown but doesn't say specifically that it is non-GMO. It is $3.00/lb and what I have been getting is less than a dollar a pound.
Linda

crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Linda, It says "Tested GEO free."  GEO is "genetically engineered organism" so that is the same as GMO -- pretty sure.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Ya, Coding Queen PM'd me with a site that keeps track of non-gmo foods and Eden was there.
Gold Mine or Jolly Time were not, so obviously what I have been using is not non-gmo.
Linda