Let's Do Lunch Class at my church

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
VickiLynn
Master Member

Re: Let's Do Lunch Class at my church

Post by VickiLynn »

Crick,

From your previous posts I understand that your going to the convention was a last minute decision.  I'm so happy that your mom is well enough so that you are able to attend.  I'm looking forward to meeting you both there  *hug* .

Vicki
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Vicki Lynn -- No, it really wasn't last minute, because I'd been hoping to be able to go.  With having to care for Mom and her being almost 84 yrs. old and having diabetes and an illeostomy with a side of dementia  ;) -- I just can't always plan anything definitely.  Well,  I'm taking a chance that we can be there and I've made reservations.  Mom is feeling well and I'm getting her stronger.  We are having problems with her illeostomy appliance not staying on more than a day -- should last a week.  So, I'm hoping that gets resolved before the trip.  Keep us in prayer.
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

crickadoodle wrote:I'm taking a chance that we can be there and I've made reservations.  Keep us in prayer.

Crick,

I'll definitely keep thinking of you  *hug* and hoping you won't have to cancel your reservation.

Vicki
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I can't cancel, will just lose the money -- so that is an added incentive.  The nurse came today and helped some.  Hopefully we won't have trouble with it.  We are trying different things.  We are going to go, though. 

My last class was last night.  I ran out of things to share, but I really liked the last class because the students got to share their favorite recipes, things they'd learned and they let us know how much weight they lost.  So many others have started eating this way because of the class -- but who weren't in the class.  Family members and friends of the students have started losing this way too.  I loved hearing the stories.  It is very rewarding to know that I was a little part of people being blessed by LDL.  God is so good to us to show us how to take care of our temples.  :D
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I'm going to start another class at my church April 21st.  People have shown such interest, so I'll keep doing them until all have heard who want to hear.  My pastor approved it, so I'll start in a week.

One of my friends who was in my first class has lost 40 lbs. on LDL.  She started in December -- so 4 months.  I'm so proud of her.  I told her she is my star pupil!  :D  She has inspired many to jump on board. 
Bethann
Master Member

Post by Bethann »

Wonderful to hear this! :rose:
"I am only one
But I am one
I can do what I can do
and by God's help
Make a difference! "
(taken from: Truth For Life)

Thanks for being such a blessing and making a difference!  :rose:
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Thanks, Bethann!  *hug*  I guess I feel like most of us do.  I have been so blessed by LDL and feel it would be wrong for me to keep it to myself.  So many people struggle with their weight and we use it as an excuse to not participate in life, basically.  Think of all the things you didn't do because of weight.  I know that I didn't go a few places, because I didn't have something appropriate to wear -- because I couldn't find something that fit me and looked nice.  Sometimes when I went, I felt out of place, because I felt like I looked out of place.  Then, all those things I couldn't do because my weight hindered me from being able to do it.  These are the more physical things.  I want to be fit and strong and not have any excuse.  I want to be able to participate in life fully.  If God calls me to do something, I want to have no excuse.  You know?  I want to help others to get to that point too.  There is a lot to do out there and we all need to be fit to do whatever it is we are called to do to help others and make our world a better place.  I guess that's my bottom line motivation.  Sounds a little corny and Pollyanna-ish, but I really think that way.  At this season of my life, I'm basically tied down to my home, since I care for Mom.  I can encourage others to get out and do stuff.  I can do things that take me away from home for a couple of hours at a time, though.
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Doodlebug - Congratulations! 

Starting a second class is a real blessing!  :angel:  And I love hearing about your star pupil. It is so gratifying to see this work so well and get those who want it - back on the path to good health.

You are wonderful to give your time.  :thumbsup:

Julie :rose:
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Good for you.  It's the least we can do for a plan that works.  People really want better health.  Then it's up to the person to get the book, and follow the LDL plan.  They know there is reinforcement from you if needed.  Forty ##.  Wonderful!!!  As I told my group, there is success if one follows LDL guidelines.  It's not about me, but  about the program in the book by Roger Troy Wilson. thumbsup:  Joyful Friend
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I love sharing with others about how God helped me through LDL and some other information I received by researching and trying it out.  I love seeing people have success with losing weight. 

Last night's class was a blessing.  My nephew is in the class and I've been a bit worried about him because of his weight gain since he got married less than 3 years ago.  I think stress from his busy, fulltime job and eating out too much did it -- plus, it's typical for people to gain weight when they marry.  Anyway, he started following LDL and has lost 20 lbs. already.  His wife has lost 10 lbs. and reported she doesn't feel deprived.  My nephew looks so much better and that bad abdominal fat is shrinking quickly.  I don't worry so much now about his health.

One lady in the class has lost 24 lbs.  She started before the class, of course, so did my nephew and his wife.  Someone just starting had lost 3 1/2 lbs. since last week and was excited.  One man said that his blood sugar was 140 in the AM before he started eating LDL and now it is under 100 in the AM. 

Also, yesterday's class was a review of LDL and a discussion of how stress, lack of sleep and exercise affect weight loss/gain.  I felt like the poster child for stress and lack of sleep this past week and my weight did increase.  I got a good night's sleep last night and we are getting some help with Mom's pouching of her ostomy, so I am releasing that stress I was feeling.  That extra weight was gone this morning.  I talked about this very thing.  Don't get discouraged if your weight is up one day.  The next day it could go down.  I love to experiment on myself, so yesterday I was up quite a few lbs. and this morning I was down 8 lbs. after I did my exercise!  Now, why do we get bent out of shape?  I know there is no way I gained or lost 8 lbs. of fat in a day.  Just keep doing what you know works.  It'll average out in the end. 

Next week is my favorite class -- sharing about what helps you increase your metabolism.  It's all about muscle mass.  Then, this week I read on Dr. Mercola's website something about how the body can produce human growth hormone naturally by anaerobic exercise.  Most adults don't participate in anaerobic exercises.  We do aerobics and weight training, but not anaerobic.  So, I'm adding this to my exercise routine.  I am going to test it.  HGH is what helps you build muscle and keeps you younger.  Well, I already walk, so on my walk I did 8 30 second sprints with 90 second rests between them.  It really makes you breathe harder which feels good.  Also, my sprints probably look like a normal person's jog!!  :laughing:  Now, as long as I don't fall down, this should be a good addition to my exercise routine.  I've only done this 2 days, so far.  I'll report back later about what I observe.
Bethann
Master Member

Post by Bethann »

Thank you for sharing! Such a blessing!  :rose:
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Hey, Crick, here is another promoting weight bearing:

Health Dispatch:
Simple Weight-Bearing Exercises for Weight-Loss and Healthy Aging

Everyone knows that exercise is a fundamental feature of an effective weight-loss plan. To me, the best exercise you can do is the kind you enjoy and thus will do regularly—be it walking, hiking, dancing, et cetera. However, it’s also essential to incorporate weight-bearing exercise, not only for maximum weight-loss results, but also for building and maintaining muscle mass as we age.

Weight-bearing exercise is one aspect of a healthy lifestyle that most people, even some of the most health-conscious individuals, totally overlook to their detriment. Weight-lifting or building/preserving muscle is something everyone needs to know about if they expect to maintain their ability to function. And in the process, adding muscle can improve your cardiovascular system and help reduce your body fat and weight. It’s important to keep in mind that the number-one killer in this country continues to be heart and vascular problems, and the heart is the one muscle that benefits the most from exercise. Weight-bearing exercise in particular also benefits bone health by increasing the density and strength of your bones, leaving them less prone to fracture.

Do I Have to Become a Gym Rat?
Adding weight-bearing exercise to your routine does not mean you need to join an expensive health club or buy specialized equipment, although you certainly can if you desire. But if you’re first starting out or just want to keep things simple, there are other very effective exercises you can do anywhere, anytime, without equipment that might be even better suited to your needs. These are the same type of exercises that I use when I am traveling and don’t have access to regular facilities or equipment.

Pushups
The overall best exercise for upper body strength is the pushup, and there are numerous variations that can make it easy enough for someone 100 years old or extremely difficult for someone in their 20s. This one exercise strengthens your arms, shoulders, and chest.

To increase the difficulty, you can elevate your feet on a foot stool, the bed, couch, etc. You can then suspend one leg in the air or one arm behind the back or both. These will take some work and practice, and just doing a regular pushup will be enough of a challenge for most to start.

If you can’t do a regular pushup, or need to work up to it, then begin by using a wall and doing “pushbacks.” Stand back from the wall a little further than arm’s length, lean in, and put your palms on the wall at shoulder height and width. Slowly bend your elbows, lean into the wall, and repeat for 10 repetitions; gradually work up to doing this exercise set three times. It is more effective if you don’t lock your elbows at the end of each pushback.

Bonus tip: If you have stiffness or tightness between the shoulder blades, or have a problem with slumping shoulders, you can do a variation of this pushback by doing the maneuver in the corner of a room with your hands on either side of the corner. This variation will allow you to dip deeper during the pushback and perform a nice stretch between the shoulders.

Squats
The squat is undoubtedly the best exercise for the muscles of the lower body. The safest method is to use a sturdy, firm chair as a “safety net.” Stand in front of the chair with your feet spread shoulder-width apart. Keep your back straight, and your arms extended in front of you. Slowly and steadily lower yourself until you almost touch the chair, hold that position for a couple of seconds (longer as you progress) and then slowly come to the upright position again. Do this exercise for 10 repetitions and work up to three sets. It will strengthen the muscles in your legs, knees, and buttocks.

If you want to make squats more difficult, you can use something lower than a chair, like a short stool or ottoman, or even work up to a full squat.

Bonus calf exercise: If you have good balance, you can also strengthen your calves and ankles by rolling up on the balls of your feet when you stand and holding that position for a couple of seconds. If your balance isn’t so good, then just wait and do this exercise separately while holding on to the back of the chair.

These exercises are simple, yet very effective. They are weight lifting without the weights. Actually, your body provides the weight, which helps limit your potential for injury too. When you combine these simple weight-bearing exercises with regular walking, moving every joint through its full range of motion each day, and routine stretching, you have a very simple program that can help kick start your weight loss goals with exercise. Even more importantly, these types of weight-bearing exercises will help keep you mobile and more independent for life.

Until next time,

Dr. David Williams
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Thanks, Linda!  I'm convinced from having experienced the benefits personally -- just like I'm convinced that LDL works.

I'm thinking of my next round of classes -- hopefully starting the first week of June.  Mom's surgery is set for May 25th, so that will be the determiner.  I'd like to do one in my hometown too.  I need to find somewhere I can do this for free.  I'll see if there is a room somewhere at the library or maybe the rec center or someplace.  I haven't looked into it yet, though.

Oh, and for those who know of our difficulties with Mom's ostomy -- her current wafer has held for 39 hours so far!  Oh, you can't understand how happy this makes me.  We've been having to change it like every 6-12 hours on the average, lately.  This is nothing short of miraculous to me, after what I've been experiencing.  Thank You, Jesus!  I don't get new supplies until tomorrow and I just have 1 left that hasn't been used.  That's cutting it really close.  Good thing it is lasting because I'd have run out by now.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I love getting feedback from people who've taken my class.  One lady wrote to me yesterday to share she'd lost 8 lbs. so far -- about 3 weeks into LdL -- and how it is so easy and much easier than Weight Watchers.  She only made the first class, where I really share the LDL way of eating -- and couldn't make the other 3 classes, but still benefitted.  I try to give the whole LDL way of eating in the first class, because I realize that people are so busy nowadays, they might not make another class.  I get everyone's email address that first class and if they don't come back, I send them my notes for the other classes. 
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Your church members are so fortunate to have you as a teacher and resource!  Pam
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Thanks, Pam!

I've gotten permission to use a church classroom for a new round of classes starting next Tuesday.  Well, that is if I can have 8 - 10 people interested in taking the classes.  I don't think that'll be a problem.  I posted it on my facebook and sent out emails to all my former class members and others an hour or two ago and already have 3 interested people.  Now, if I can only remember all the people who've mentioned to me in passing that they wanted to be in the next round of classes.  I know there are more than the required number.  I love sharing this good news with those eager to lose (for good!) those unwanted pounds.

By the way, the last time I put an ostomy bag on Mom was Saturday night -- so that is almost 5 days ago!  I think we can say that surgery was a big success.  I know it has greatly improved the quality of our lives -- hers and mine!  :D :thumbsup:  Thanks for all the prayers!
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Good news about your mom, Crick. Hope you have a full class.  I am going to go to a church in a town 30 miles west.  My college roommate asked me to give a class.  I enjoy spreading the great news of LDL and also the Good News of Who Jesus is.  It is a great way to enjoy eating and life.  :D :D  Joyful Friend
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

So happy to hear your mom doing well now and you finally able to rest
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

You cannot believe how great it is to have that ostomy working right.  Today is day 7 that the appliance has been on and I'm going to change it today, even if it is still adhering.  It's just time to change it -- but to think I could have gone a whole week without changing that thing!  I think I could do a cartwheel over it!  :)  (The last cartwheel I did was when I was in my early 40s, right after my now husband called me for the first time.  :laughing:  I was just too goofy and excited and in love.  *woot*)