Out of the mouths of babes!

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Out of the mouths of babes!

Post by LittlePrincess »

Today I went shopping with my friend.  I had to get some birthday cards and some things to use to enhance the photographs at my website.  As we passed by one store there was a table set up with girl scout cookies.  Of course as we got closer they started chanting...Girl scout cookies!  Get your girl scout cookies!  We just smiled and kept walking. 

As we left one store and walked down to another there was another table.  This little girl says to me, "Would you like some girl scout cookies ma'am?"  I smiled at her and said, "No honey, I'm not eating cookies these days because I want to get thin like you."  She looks at me and says, "You have a long way to go."    :laughing:  :laughing:  I just busted out laughing and I said, "I know honey that's why I can't eat cookies today."  She just smiled the sweetest smile and gave me a hug and said, "I think you made a good choice."  God I love kids!    *love*

Fit, Happy, Healthy and home with no thin mints  LP    :D
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Re: Out of the mouths of babes!

Post by cmruleman »

too cute and sweet! My daughter asked me when my belly will be small like hers and daddy's. My son said I can't run fast enough yet. The thing is...I am visioning myself to be thin now so that I can run behind them riding bikes. I want the energy to do all the things I'd like with them.They are only 6 and 9....I hope there'll be plenty of time to do this with them while they want to
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Hi cm,

You know, visualizing where you want to go is a MOST powerful tool.  I do it every single day.  I truly believe in the power of positive thinking and the power of our mind.  If you can go there in your mind you can go there in the body.  *Hugs*  We'll get there.  ;D  LDL works!

Fit, Happy and Healthy LP

Post by barrypaxton »

LP,

That is too funny. I taught First Grade for 17 years and those little ones always kept me laughing. You never know what they'll come up with.

Congratulations on turning down the cookies!!!

Many blessings,
Ollie
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
Bethann
Master Member

Post by Bethann »

What a sweet story!
...and thanks for the positive thinking comments!  :thumbsup:
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

barrypaxton wrote:LP,

That is too funny. I taught First Grade for 17 years and those little ones always kept me laughing. You never know what they'll come up with.

Congratulations on turning down the cookies!!!

Many blessings,
Ollie

Thanks Ollie,

I bet you had a total blast teaching.  I just love children in their honesty.  Especially when they are also kind.  It kind of reminds me how God must think of us in our best light.  :)

I'm glad I didn't get the cookies either but to be honest it wasn't hard at all.  Isn't that a miracle?  ;D

Post by SweetRose »

Am I the only one who thinks that this little girl should have been taught better manners? :rolleyes: I do agree that kids say the cutest things- I love to listen to them conversing with each other. The funny things they sometimes say!  :D However, I also believe that children are never too young to show respect- especially to adults.  I am glad that she hugged you and said that you made a good choice. And you did! :thumbsup:

SweetRose :rose:
SweetRose
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

I thought the same thing SweetRose... I hope whoever was there with her, told her it wasn't nice to say something like that to hurt someones feelings..

My daughter was telling me a story this weekend about my 3 yr old grandson.  They were driving by some apartments and she said to him... "thats where mommy & daddy lived before you were born"...

he said.... "I missed you before I was born mommy, and I love you"  she just melted,, he is such a sweetheart....

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Awwwww Sweet Rose,

I guess I didn't tell the story well enough.  She was seriously NOT being mean spirited.  She was simply being a child. 

Now I could tell you a story about this lil demon child once at Hobby Lobby who called me a fat loser right in front of his mother and she said, "Oh honey, she's not a loser.  She's shopping at Hobby Lobby, only winners shop there". :rolleyes:  She turned the corner to go to the next isle and the kid comes back and hits me in the stomach.  THAT child needed to be taught.  But I honestly believe that that sort of behavior is learned at home.  His mother did nothing to correct him and they probably laughed about it later that night at home with the father. 

The wonderful thing for me is that God has given me peace about these sort of things.  About two days after this kid punched me, I went to Cracker Barrell with my friend here.  We were shopping and this little girl kept looking over at me.  Finally she came up and just started talking and smiling.  She was sharing with me about the little dog she was going to buy and how she could go online and watch it grow etc.  Her mom called her to come eat and she hesitated for a minute....then she just wrapped her arms around me and gave me a big hug....she smiled up at me and said, "I hope you have a great day!  It was so nice to meet you".  She was like a little angel to me that day.  I knew God sent her.  :D

So anyway, don't be upset with the girl scout.  She was a sweetheart and she made me smile. 

Post by SweetRose »

LittlePrincess, you sure have a good attitude. Bless you! So true, some kids are soooo sweet....you just want to adopt them on the spot  :kissed: Others, like that kid who punched you,well.....let's just say that his mom ( who is at fault, too) has a rough road ahead of her. How'd you like to have him as a teenager in later years! LOL!

Mary J your grandson is a sweetie. :thumbsup:

SweetRose :rose:
SweetRose
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

SweetRose and Mary J,

I totally agree with both of you. If the child had been 4, 5 or 6 then I would expect something like that but a Girl Scout is around 9 or 10. Definitely old enough to know better. Just because she gave LP a hug in the end doesn't excuse her comment. I just hope someone did take her aside and explain to her why her comment was inappropriate because she may make the same mistake of saying that to someone else and that person may not be as understanding and forgiving as LP.

CQ
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Mary,

It all boils down to one thing....money!

The Girl Scouts of the USA Foundation knows that Americans are addicted to sugar and, therefore, push the cookie sales. Every year the boxes get smaller and the price goes up but they know people will buy them anyway...and they make money....lots of it.

CQ
jjelli

Post by jjelli »

Just want to donate my  "2 cents worth"...When I see bake sales (that's where I used to get homemade fudge    *love*    not any more)    or young people trying to sell food to raise money, I usually just tell them that everything looks so nice, but I won't be able to use it and I would just like to donate some money to their club.  Works for me.  jj
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

LP  *hug*

All I can say is that you must be as lovely to meet in person as you are to us here.  You have just described 2 incidents where children that do not know you, have spontaneously hugged you. (The other one was just ignorant. :laughing: )  Anyway, I am glad you can see the humor in these situations. Some days you eat the bear and some days the bear eats you!

:kissed:

Julie :rose:
lifegoeson24n7

Post by lifegoeson24n7 »

All

I have changed this post a couple of times.  Please get the facts straight before you bash the last remaining all female organization in the US.

Girl Scouts sell cookies because it is their biggest fund raiser.  If you look at any grocery store in the US you will find many little debbies, Archway, Keebler etc.  Girl Scout cookies actually took out trans fats before anyone else.
The individual troops only get about 27 cents per box.
Girl Scouts do sell Calendars, so if you don't want to purchase cookies you can ask the girl at the door to come back in the fall with one of the calendars and you would be happy to purchase a wall or purse calendar this fall.
Also, if you don't want to buy cookies for yourself, then offer to purchase a box for your local pantry.  Girl Scout cookie order forms actually have a column to allow you to purchase one for your local food pantry
Selling Cookies provides girls with self esteem, goal setting, teaches money and interaction with public.  Hopefully that little girl who said such a hurtful thing will be pulled aside by her leader and told that what she said was improper.
Girl Scouts start out as daisy at age 4 (not age 9)
Girl Scouts/Girl Guides is the largest global organization for women only.  Much of the money raised selling cookies supports troops in Africa, Iran, Iraq, and even inner citiies in the US.
Girl Scouting teaches responsibility, citizenship, honesty, caring, friendship, leadership.

My troop (consisting of 2 of my high school age daughters) spent endless hours collecting, saving, and working hard to earn money and goods to offer to our local teen pregnancy crisis center as part of earning their silver award.
The troop the next town over took their cookie profits and set up a library in Haiti as well as collecting and shipping thousands of books to the impoverished nation.(well before the recent disaster)
Another local troop set up a symposium for mothers/daughters to help focus on women/daughters and the social aspects of raising women in the US.

Girl Scouting provides scholarships to college bound girls, camp experiences for youth who have never heard a cricket at night.

The young girl said a hurtful remark, I certainly hope their leader pulled the girl aside later and explained that what she had said may have been hurtful.

I certainly hope you all are not bashing such a wonderful organization because they sell cookies or have a little girl with imperfect manners (hopefully she will learn and hopefully her leader has had the diversity training to teach the young girl about respecting others)

I am furious right now that such a wonderful caring community such as LDL, has such little tolerance for such a wonderful organization that does so much for so many around the world because they sell cookies.

I know it is late and I am a little bit depressed and feeling down right now.

I certainly don't want to offend anyone, but I feel I must stand up for this organization who helped me through the death of my mother and provided me with wonderful role models. (I was 15 and my GS leader was truly a God Send)  And has allowed me to have outings with my daughters and their friends in a safe "women only" environment.

I don't know if I will come back.  I enjoy the encouragement but am basically offended at the intolerance shown and rather surprised.

I am so upset right now I am in tears writing this.  I will probably change this post again, if I come back at all.
Last edited by lifegoeson24n7 on February 21st, 2010, 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you fall off the horse, climb right back on!
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

Oh little Mary...

Right on the money!!!!

Well said!!!

Amen Sista...
and all that stuff!!!
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

lifegoeson24n7,

I'm not going to apologize for what I said because it's true. My nieces started out as Daisies and were Girl Scouts until this last go around with the cookie sales. Both of them sold over 900 boxes of cookies on foot...not in front of some grocery store... and when they turned in their order forms the Troop Leader wanted to know why they didn't sell more. I can assure you my brother let the Troop Leader know what she could do with all the boxes of cookies.

CQ