refried beans??

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
cmruleman
New, but learning

refried beans??

Post by cmruleman »

Ok...I have been craving refried beans like you'd get at a mexican restaurant. Any good recipes for this?
Mary J
Master Member

Re: refried beans??

Post by Mary J »

You can eat the refried beans as long as they are sugar free, and fat free... Eat them on corn thins, adding taco sauce to it,,, shredded lettuce,,, Also some people like refried beans with eggs.

Check out all the recipes,,, there are some fabulous ones!  I try to make a new one each week.

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

MaryJ,

I found that I really don't care for the taste of fat free refried beans, except if mixed in a recipe. I guess it would be OK to add EVOO to the beans to make them tasty?

SweetRose :rose:
Last edited by SweetRose on February 22nd, 2010, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SweetRose
cmruleman
New, but learning

Post by cmruleman »

restaurant refried beans/ bean dip is always so yummy...can't seem to recreate the recipe though
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Try sauteing garlic and onions before adding the smushed or pureed beans. Restaurants may also be adding MSG to enhance the flavor. Sicilian Mama posted a great recipe complete with pictures. You may find it easier on Facebook
Last edited by LINDA RN on February 22nd, 2010, 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

Restaurants used to add LARD :shock: (some still do, I'm sure) to the refried beans to enhance their flavor. Yes, they were to die for....no, I take that back. Extremely tasty, yes, but not worth dying for. :laughing:

SweetRose
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

And the cheese they melt on top of it....YUMMY!

CQ
Clown Lady
Master Member

Post by Clown Lady »

I get the black fat free refried beans in a can.  I add some black bean/corn salsa on top and sometimes ff cheese.  I am trying to break the cheese habit as it is only a habit.  I have my rfbeans on corn thins for breakfast most mornings along with my fruit.  It holds me until lunch
Clown Lady
http://boards.letsdolunch.com/boards/ga ... _33_10.jpg
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wS4gwd3/]
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Sicilian Mama posted this on Facebook.
I am sure you could use this recipe for Bean Dip as a recipe for refries.

White bean dip
Or Black bean dip, or ANY BEAN DIP… for that matter.

Grab your favorite beans,2-3 cups cooked, and smashed in a food processor or blender along with 1 small jar of roasted red peppers or a few oil packed sundried tomatoes, salt, pepper, 2 garlic cloves, some saute’d till brown onions and some Olive Oil, and whiz the heck out of it until its creamy and thick.

Transfer to a dish and refrigerate for about an hour… enjoy with celery stalks, endive spears, jicama sticks, carrot sticks, or pepper slices!!!
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

Thanks Linda RN and Sicilian Mama for a wonderful-sounding recipe! I can't wait to try it! I saw a similar recipe once with black olives added. Am wondering how that would be.

Last edited by SweetRose on February 23rd, 2010, 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SweetRose
stephyanders

Post by stephyanders »

You can also buy the fat free refried beans that are flavored... I really like the salsa kind. They give the beans a nice spice!
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

MaryJ,

Some people have said that corn thins and popcorn stall their weight loss. While you were losing weight were you able to eat corn thins all the time and as much as you wanted without a weight loss stall? I do eat popcorn for dinner but am leery of eating corn thins at that time. I'm thinking that if I start piling yummy stuff on them like beans I'll eat a ton of them and weight loss will go bye-bye.

You've been sooooo successful so I appreciate your thoughts on this!  :)

SweetRose
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

Hi SweetRose,

I never really noticed a stall with popcorn or corn thins for me.  BUT I didn't have a lot to lose... actually I had really no idea how much I would lose.  Thought I wanted to drop one size, from a 10 down to an 8, but too my surprise I dropped 2 szies!  Was counting on only a few lbs, but ended up losing close to 15 lbs!  I eat corn thins whenever I want.  Always for breakfast.  Some days thats the only time I eat them.  Today I also had them for lunch too.  I do not limit them, same with popcorn. 

I am having my meat/protein meal tonight.  I switch this fairly often, as it works out better for me.  On Fridays, Sat and Sundays we always have our big meal at lunch though, since hubby is home on these days..

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
jaydensmommy

Post by jaydensmommy »

Sweet Rose,

What triggers some people may not trigger others.  I don't see a problem with the corn thins.  I will eat one or two.  If you feel you will consume the whole bag then it may not be something for you, it depends.  Popcorn, itself, on the other hand, I have to limit because I will eat too much of it.  My suggestion would be to try it and if you feel you are "gorging" on it then limit it, and if not and it is not stalling weight loss then enjoy.  Hope this helps.
Debbie B
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Don't have my book with me. I have always heard olives were fattening. Adding olives to refries sounds delish if legal.
Linda

crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I love olives -- black or green. 

SweetRose -- as far as the corn thins go, you don't want to snack on them, of course.  I would think if you put beans on them, you'd probably eat less of them than if you just ate them plain. I mean, the protein in the beans level your blood sugar and knocks out those awful cravings we used to get before LDL.  I don't really eat them much,  but did a couple of times when eating at a Mexican restaurant.  I actually had never tasted one until I reached my goal weight. 

I love refried beans too, but mostly eat them when my husband makes his awesome fajitas.  I put a little on my lettuce leaf that I wrap up all the fajita stuff in.  I get the canned refried beans that are fat free and really don't find they taste different from the lardy ones. 
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

Thanks MaryJ, jadensmommy and crickadoodle!

I'll try the corn thins with lots of refried beans and lettuce. That should fill me up so I don't overindulge in the corn thins.

SweetRose