Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
redkat

Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

Post by redkat »

Did any of you see that show on ABC last night??  He went into a small town that was listed as America's unhealthiest city (obesity and health problems) and wanted to change the way of eating not just in the schools, but in the homes and restaurant establishments too.

They were serving those kids pizza for breakfast, flavored milk with their cereals, something called potato "pearls" mixed into mashed potatoes for lunch, chicken nuggets...nothing fresh.  The vegetables on most days were french fries.  The only food made fresh in the school cafeteria was the bread!!

Jamie was met with very much opposition, from the local radio DJ to the cafeteria workers, to the school board...even from the school kids themselves.

When given the opportunity to cook a healthier meal for the school lunch, most of the kids turned away from it, either choosing their usual pizza/chicken nuggets, or just throwing it away uneaten.  Most of what was discarded was the fresh fruits and vegetables.  How sad.  Those kids just don't know any better.

The show will be continued on Friday night.  It will be interesting to see if he was able to make a difference for them, and possiblly open the eyes to the rest of this country how important it is to start while the kids are young to teach them  how to eat healthy.  If we could only get him to teach them the LDL way!!!
Last edited by redkat on March 22nd, 2010, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kathy
lulu65

Re: Jami Oliver's Food Revolution

Post by lulu65 »

it is sad isn't it.. Unfortunately I did not get to watch that last night... not sure if we even get it as we have Food Network Canada.. some of the programs are the same some are not.
What I have watched is Diners, Drive-ins and dives with this guy with the spiked blond hair... Now he visit restaurants in the USA and his show features various places he visits across the US.. Oh my goodness some of the food these places serve it is hard to believe it is real.. The serving sizes, are huge.  I honestly cannot picture myself going into a restaurant or diners and having biscuits and gravy???? this is just an example of some of the food that he tries at these place... I am sure the food is good tasting to many but these types of diners in my opinion are just a heart attack waiting to happen..  I have never seen this kind of stuff here.. We have some restaurants (Greek) that may serve fairly large plates like (both rice and potatoes on the same plate)but nothing like what I saw on there..  is this good for kids to watch I don't think so..
Jamie ran across problems in England when he went to various schools in the cafeterias and tried to overhaul the menus which was accepted by the school commission or the kids etc.. 
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I really think we can personally make a difference by setting a good example for the people in our lives.  I want to be a part of a new, true health care revolution that has nothing to do with the government.  It's funny how the government thinks that suddenly Americans will be healthier, just because Congress forces everyone to have health insurance.  Having health insurance and being healthy are in no way related as far as I can see.  When I feel responsible for my health is when I am doing my part to be healthy.  I am healthier now than ever and it has nothing to do with my having or my lack of having health care insurance.  Sometimes the doctors do more harm than good, I've see so often.  Also, having insurance makes people have a false sense of, "I don't care what it costs, my insurance is paying for it."  I wish we could be like in the olden days where everyone paid the doctor directly.  You wouldn't go to the doctor for every little thing.  You'd know that you were paying for it.  That would drive health care costs down more than anything.  We personally have an HSA (health savings account) and I think that form of insurance makes you so much more involved in the costs.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

Post by LINDA RN »

Amen, Crick
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
lulu65

Post by lulu65 »

We have always had Medicare as far back as  I can remember.(1960 or so)..While I am not sure our doctor's offices and clinics are filled with overweight people I do find that many  mothers take their kids to the clinic or hospital for a cold or runny noes.. This does irritate me and stresses the system to the max.. I think Medicare or whatever you call it is good for US residents.. I agree crick that making ourselves healthy is a better way to go... here even gastric bypass is paid for those who go through a screening and are deemed obese.. I have my bi annual check up and rarely go to emergency for anything unless it is serious..
Too much processed, convenience food, hormones in meat etc.  chicken fed differently etc. and lastly we don't move like in our younger days.. computers TV etc..stress.. many many factors.
I do like medicare though.. it allows me to get blood tests, MRIs, scans etc all for free..  I think it is a good thing for US to finally have a health care system in place...People paid very high amts for health car insurance.
Re-educating people and children to eat better is high on the list too
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Hi Red,

I didn;t see it all - it is sitting in my TIVO waiting for me. I did see a small part where he was in tears over the opposition he met and the rudeness of the response from the town. I cannot wait to see the whole thing. It is precisely that small mindedness and narrow view that will keep this country on a path to be sicker with each passing year.  This generation of children is the first that may not outlive it's parents!  IT is quite sad.

lulu, this was not a cable show - it was on channel 7 ABC in prime time. I hope you get a chance to watch it. I also hope it stirs up some controversy as we need the conversation. And you are right - Diner food is the worst. I saw a show once where the huge diner plate literally could not contain the food and it was piled about 5 inches high.  They interviewed the patrons who said if it was on their plate that meant they should eat it!

We simply need more education. There is too much info out there and it is fragmented. So the public does not know what to think or do. One week eggs are bad and the next week eggs are good. In a culture where most people are fighting for survival, issues like nutrition are going to take a back seat unless it is packaged in a usuable format and is affordable.  One mom I saw interviewed said she was literally making a choice between a buying a head of broccoli for a couple of bucks or a couple of burgers from the dollar menu to feed her kids. And she asked the interviewer - which would you do? OK  I have to get off my soap box before I get a nose bleed - sorry to go on.

Julie :rose:
lulu65

Post by lulu65 »

julie409 wrote:
We simply need more education. There is too much info out there and it is fragmented. So the public does not know what to think or do. One week eggs are bad and the next week eggs are good. In a culture where most people are fighting for survival, issues like nutrition are going to take a back seat unless it is packaged in a usuable format and is affordable.  One mom I saw interviewed said she was literally making a choice between a buying a head of broccoli for a couple of bucks or a couple of burgers from the dollar menu to feed her kids. And she asked the interviewer - which would you do?

Julie :rose:

good point Julie...  I have heard that excuse before.. well I call it an excuse... No child will get fat on 1 McDonald's once a week or so. .Our kids used to be treated to MacDonald's once a week or Ponderosa etc.. heck even KC and none of my adult kids have a weight problem..
Kids watch TV and see all this stuff and they think gosh that looks good and parents take them there..
Thank you for the info I will try to find it so I can watch it tonight..
redkat

Post by redkat »

The episode is available on the ABC website.  If I did it right, here is the link to that show...

http://abc.go.com/watch/jamie-olivers-f ... pisode-101
Kathy
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

The issue isnt about health insurance... it isnt political at all... it's about common sense... choices and eating cleanlyMost of us on this site are overweight... and we got here by eating badly... plain and simple...  We knew better, and we made a conscious choice to eat fast food, candy and unhealthy things....

Now that our eyes are open... we are appalled... and we should be... but lets not forget that we, too, were not eating well prior to this WOE... and it took us a while to "get it" too.

The show was awesome... and it's what I've been "preaching" to my family and friends in my blog for 9 months... processed junk is the devil... and we should all not eat it at all... when we shop for food at the store... we are voting for the foods the store carries... it is a much needed show... one that I wish I was a part of...

Now that our eyes are open to the dangers of eating the way we used too... we can be beacons to others to eat well, and to have the health benefits and vitality that we enjoy...
patns

Post by patns »

Well living in a country that has had universal health care as long as I can remember I can't see how it's a bad thing, In the opinion of many of us it is one of the greatest benefits of being Canadian. I better not comment anymore on that topic as I haven't lived anywhere else.

When you first described the show redcat I thought I had seen it but then realized with Lulu's comments it was the British one I had just seen part of. He was in a British school and it was amazing how oppositional the kids were to him. I think it was a middle school and in that case also much of the good food was thrown away.

I have seen studies that said that people whose roots were from Northern England were prone to obesity. That is my background and I thought it was all about the genes until I shopped in the food part of Marks and Spencer's. I could not believe the choices, it was all high fat sugar laden highly processed carbs.
I work in many junior high and high schools now and at every lunch hour the kids are just pouring out of the schools and beating it to the nearest mall food court which seems to never be many steps away.

I think adolescents in the western world are eating a tremendous amount of fast food because it tastes good (to them :wrong:) is inexpensive and readily available.  They eat so much of it they become addicted to the fat, sugary processed carbs and we all know how hard it is to get that addiction under control.
When I was young treats were available but someone in the home would have to make them so there was no large abundace of them.
lulu65

Post by lulu65 »

Leave it to the SNA to justify the good things happening in schools now

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/183156.php
barrypaxton
Master Member

Post by barrypaxton »

Dear Redkat and others.

This show was done in Huntington, WV, my hometown. There has been a lot of positive press in the area about what Jamie has done here. There are many PSA's with Jamie airing everyday on TV urging the Tri-State to eat healthier. I've also seen news video clips of where Jamie taught nutrition lessons to the students. To me that's where it all needs to begin. If the kids, say "no, I'm not going to eat that crap, things will start to change."

Blessings,
Ollie
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Thanks for the update, Ollie. They never mentioned what city was the most unhelathy. I thought it might be Toledo since Rubin Jordan kicked off his Healthy Weight America Campaign there.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
redkat

Post by redkat »

Ollie,

Thanks for letting us know where the show was aired.  I didn't remember from seeing on TV (the older I get, the less I seem to remember, LOL).  I do hope that in the segment that will air on Friday that all of the positive aspects of what Jamie is trying to do will be evident.  This is just a starting point.  All of America needs to watch closely.  After all, it's the future generations that will suffer the most if we continue on the path that we have been on.  LDL has been so great for me.  I am thankful every day that I was shown the way to be thinner and healthier.  Perhaps if Jamie is successful there, people will start to look for the ways to obtain the same things I have been able to find with Roger's so generously sharing this inspiring way of eating.  Many thanks to RT for sharing what our Lord has revealed to him.
Kathy
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

Yes, it was mentioned... when Jamie went to the Radio STation... and when he met with the School Food Lady with all the books.

It could have been ANYWHERE in the USA... and it would have been the same problem.  Our own school district in So Cal, here, thinks TURKEY GRAVY, is a  meat product...and french fries are a vegetable, and ketchup too.

It's everywhere...
MissBizzyLizzy
Master Member

Post by MissBizzyLizzy »

i watched him this morning on Good Morning America.  it really is a sad thing.  we need to start kids eating good foods early in life. my kids have come home and said how they didn't get veggies because they ran out.  i think they should bring out something else to offer but they don't.  i'm banking on the fact that there are simply no funds for it.
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

Then pack them some good food in their back packs... so they always have healthy alternatives...

My boys ALWAYS have carrot sticks, or pretzels, or an apple in their back packs... for "just in case".
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

He willl be on Oprah today!

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
LovinLDL

Post by LovinLDL »

The kids....that's why I'm here.....hoping to encourage other moms.  We can make a difference.  I can soooooo see it with my own kids.  With my older ones I wasn't as careful and they still go for the junk over the good stuff at times.....Marcie Grace (my 3yo) is exactly the opposite.  She wants my salad when we are out and others get her the "kid plate" of pizza or chicken strips.  She also fought me through for three whole grapefruits yesterday at lunch....I made the kids chicken, vegetables and brown rice so I was eating grapefruits since I stay away from rice for weight loss still.  Well, I ended up feeding her so much that I kept cutting open another.  I really think I only ate about one and she ate almost two by herself.  She loves her fruits and vegees....it's the eating she has known her whole life and what she prefers.  Another thing people always comment on....we are rarely ever sick.  Often when I eat grapefruits and such and think about Grapefruit Seed Extract being used for a natural infection fighter I think how the Lord must be keeping us well through the fresh fruit and vegees.  With 6 kids I don't think we've been to the doctor in over a year.....not trying to boast here.  This is totally a blessing from the Lord....LDL AND being well.....just want to encourage you moms Keep on Keepin on!  I'm not legalistic about it....as you can see from above I feed my guys brown rice and let them choose for themselves when we are eating away from home.  But, for the everyday, we stick with LDL and it works!  What a blessing it is to be equipped with the wisdom God gave RT so many years ago!

Blessings,
Julie
RB Kayaking
Master Member

Post by RB Kayaking »

I watched his revolution last night.

My first thought was, "the lunch ladies aren't accepting him, why didn't he go somewhere where they wanted to change?"

The second thought was, "if I was a kid eating pizza for breakfast and nuggets for lunch I wouldn't like a salad with some oily dressing and a drummet."

So he's way over budget and the kids aren't really digging it. 

Let's start with the ptsa and introduce new eating habits in the home.  Let's say that we can get your food budget way down, have healthly meals in less time than it takes you to get in your car, drive to a take out place, wait in line, and drive back home AND you will lose weight.

I'm still working to get my first school on board but I am now thinking about the ptsa monthly meetings and doing a cooking tasting demo each month.  Then handing out grocery lists with recipes.

Eventually I'll get the food service to try pizza soup at that school and go from there.  It doesn't have to be a budget buster like Jami's to work.

Way don't we all try this and see what a LDL revolution we can get rolling?

RB Kayaking