Meatloaf

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Meatloaf

Post by MsHeirloom »

I am not going to give a meatloaf recipe per se, but a tip that I have learned.  We all have our own favorite recipes or there are many in the recipe section.  When making meatloaf or salmon patties make the mixture plenty moist with the eggs, tomatoes, pureed vegetable, whatever, then thicken it up with whole popcorn.  There is no need to blend up the popcorn, just mix it whole (pick out any unpopped kernels first, please).  It breaks up, absorbs the liquid, firms up the meat mixture, and is undetectable in the finished product.  Maybe others are already using whole popped corn, but it was new for me.  Enjoy.  Pam
Last edited by MsHeirloom on May 20th, 2010, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
julie409
Master Member

Re: Meatloaf

Post by julie409 »

HI Pam,

That sounds like a great tip! I have actually been craving meat - beef - for the last few days. This will give me a way to take it for lunch.

Hey, next week is our 1 year anniversary!  *hug*  SO glad we are both still on LDL.

Have a great day!

Julie :rose:
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Thanks for the tip.  :thumbsup:  I was thinking about making some salmon and corn cakes for lunch but didn't want to drag out the blender to make the popcorn flour.

CQ
bingo

Post by bingo »

simply Love this idea too...can`t wait to try it !!! :thumbsup: thanks !!! the Lord is Good !!!
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Julie- Happy Anniversary to us...  It's been a wonderful year of discovering the secret to obtaining a healthy weight, learning new ways of eating, and meeting wonderful new friends.  Hugs- Pam
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Congratulations, Pam and Julie.  What a great tip about the whole popcorn.  Will do.  Just love LDL and all my board friends.  Thanks again for being here for encouragement, insight, and fun.    *love* and  *hug* JF
cameron
Master Member

Post by cameron »

thanks Pam, I would have never thought of that, great tip
witheraway1
Master Member

Post by witheraway1 »

Haven't tried this meatloaf yet so I really can't say anything about it. But most of the recipes that are suppose to taste like foods we can't have I just don't like, SUCH AS CAULIFLOWER mashed pototoes or the pototoe salad,it just tatse like califlower to me .so I rather not eat it. Nothing tatse like the real thing, so I think for me I have to pass untill I reach goal and then have only alittle now and then of the real stuff. That's my take on it.......Wither
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

That's the great thing about LDL.  You don't have to eat anything that you don't like.  There are so many great foods in the world, there is something for everyone.  Pam
witheraway1
Master Member

Post by witheraway1 »

That's right pam, You help so many of us with your knowledge please don't stop..... Wither
redkat

Post by redkat »

CodingQueen wrote:Thanks for the tip.  :thumbsup:  I was thinking about making some salmon and corn cakes for lunch but didn't want to drag out the blender to make the popcorn flour.

CQ

CQ,  I love salmon.  Please let us know how your cakes come out.  I would also need to know how you make them, as I have never tried to make it.
Kathy
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

redkat,

They were very good using Pam's suggestion. I just used the popcorn in place of the bread crumbs. Here's the link to the recipe I used for the leftover salmon I had in the fridge. I'm sure you could use canned salmon as well.

http://www.whiteonricecouple.com/recipe ... r-recipes/

CQ
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

CQ- I'm going to try your recipe.  The corn and ginger sound delicious.  BTW- I baked my salmon cakes and they were great.  Less work and less fat than frying.  I'm glad the popped corn worked well for you, too.  It's so easy and I always have popcorn available to pop.  Pam
blessed

Post by blessed »

I love salmon cakes.  Can't wait to try this tip.  Thanks for sharing
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Pam,

I like them both ways...baked in the oven and fried. The other day I baked them because I didn't have enough oil...Oops, forgot the oil at the store...what can I say, I had another blonde moment. :D Oh well, it could be worse...I could be a brunette and not have an excuse... :laughing:

CQ
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Pam,

Another thing that my son suggested for my salmon and corn cakes...just crush up some corn thins like Little Mary uses in Harrison's Meatballs rather than drag out the popcorn popper. I'm going to try it to see which I prefer.

CQ
Last edited by CodingQueen on May 27th, 2010, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

I tried the salmon cakes (used canned salmon) today with the corn thins. I used four crushed in a baggy and omitted the butter. It was really good. :thumbsup:

CQ