A message for all ....

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
julie409
Master Member

A message for all ....

Post by julie409 »

HI Everyone,

Every once in a while I send out a call to see if I can catch some people who may be lurking in the background and on the fence about LDL.  In the past we could usually catch about a dozen or so newbies that we could all welcome into the fold. This time something unexpected happened. After a while there was one response - only one --- after another while ---- there was one more---- that was it. It would have been strange on it's own to only get 2 responses but there were 2 other oddities; First, both of the responders had already reached goal weight  :thumbsup: and did so without even having posted; Second, both of them had some opinions about the way we are treating each other when we post and so had not joined in.  :wrong:

I am bringing this to everyone's attention to make us all aware of how we look and sound to others. I firmly believe "When we know better, we do better!".  There is no more need for regrets or apologies or finger pointing. We just need to all link arms and move forward with LDL joining us together. We all share a common goal and may have tons of opinions on how best to get there. Our opinions are as varied as we are.

We also share our thankfulness to Roger for not only creating a great and healthy plan that is changing our lives, but also for providing us with this incredible forum where we can share ideas about LDL, wonderful recipes, and our hopes and dreams for a brighter future. I for one intend to show my gratitude to Roger by helping to make this site as welcoming and supportive as possible.  I would be horrified to learn that someone may have made the decision NOT to participate in LDL because of something I said or some confusion I have caused. The results of this could not only impact them but could also impact their families and friends as well. 

So I found some info on the web and am posting it in the hopes of helping us all do a better job representing LDL. I hope you will all read this with the knowledge that I admire each and every one of you for the individual qualities you all bring to this site and to my life. Thank you for all the support and friendship you have given to me. :angel:

I did not edit the list - it remains as I found it - suggestions for a potentially better way!  With much affection - Julie :rose:

1. Read the forums rules and guidelines before posting for the first time.
2. Search the other posts to see if your topic is already covered.
3. Use a meaningful title for your thread.
4. Do not use the forum to promote your product, service or business.
5. Be civil. Personal differences should be handled through email or IM and not through posts displayed to everyone.
6. Stay on topic.
7. Ignore spammers, respond to them personally and not through the board, or report them.
8. Do not submit a post that requires readers to download a large attachment. Either explain the attachment or, better yet, provide a link to the information.
9. Use plain text over HTML if you want your post to be readable by everyone.
10. In order to be understood by most people, use correct spelling, grammar and avoid slang unless you know the word or phrase will be understood by other members.
11. Do not double post (post the same message twice in one thread) or cross post (place the same message across several forums).
12. Act in a give and take manner; help others as often as or more than you ask for help.
13. Do not use all caps or SHOUT in your posts. In addition, one exclamation point is enough.
14. When replying to a post, do not quote more from the previous post than you have to.
15. Do not post new problems on someone else's thread and interrupt a topic of discussion.
16. Do not use someone else’s thread for a private conversation.
17. Most forums prohibit warez, cracks or illegal downloading of software and similar topics.
18. Watch your sense of humor, posts may be read by people from a variety of backgrounds and ages.
19. Do not use a huge and annoying signature, a modest signature is fine, moderators may remove large ones anyway.
20. Do not post any information that you want private. Posts should not contain personal, identifiable information or content embarrassing to others.
21. Do not post content that violates a copyright.
22. Do not post ”empty” or useless responses, such as just ”lol” or ”cool.” Only post responses when you have something to contribute.
23. Write concisely and do not ramble.
24. Do not use words like ”urgent” or ”important” in your subject line, be patient.
25. Do not chastise newbies.
witheraway1
Master Member

Re: A message for all ....

Post by witheraway1 »

Wow Julie, that's a lot to digest.........I really don't know how I will remember all of that..........For me I am going to make it simple. I intend to make these boards better....I will read every post I make then ask myself would this hurt anybody.....If I think so then I WON'T POST IT...........I AM GOING TO BE VERY CAREFUL BEFORE I press that post button...Thank you so much for all the thought  you put into trying to help us be better...............Much  Love Wither
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Thanks Wither - who could ask for anything more?  *hug*

Julie :rose:
cameron
Master Member

Post by cameron »

Julie, great post, thankyou, I read it twice, and will make sure I do my part.   thanks again!
Last edited by cameron on July 28th, 2010, 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
51_too_young_to_be_old

Post by 51_too_young_to_be_old »

I am a newbie. I have only been here since Sunday and let me tell everyone that this is the finest group of people I had had the privilege to spend time with.  Everyone I have encountered has been kind and helpful, I am glad your all here, and I am thankful you made me feel so welcome. :)
{o,o}
|)__)
-"--"-

12/01/2010 - 319
04/09/2011 - 311
04/16/2011 - 306
4/23/2011 - 303
no scale.....
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

We all have a committment to see this succeed, so we are really excited about each newby who joins in. This is so needed to become a household WOE if we are ever going to see the obesity and chronic diseases we are plagued with reversed. Together we can do this!
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
witheraway1
Master Member

Post by witheraway1 »

So right Linda...........Wither
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Julie- Thank you so much for your thoughtful and thought-provoking post.  If I had come upon LDL when all the snarky comments were being made, I'm not sure I would have felt comfortable joining and posting.  Had I not become a member of the LDL community, I have no doubt that I would still be morbidly obese.  These boards have been my lifeline over the past 14 months.  I have made lifetime friends and lifetime changes.  My hope is that any newcomers will find this group as helpful, welcoming, accepting, genuine, and supportive as I did.  Pam
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Pam, You wrote my thoughts so well.  Thanks.  I have enjoyed the posts so much this past year. I've gotten valuable information to help me on my journey.  I am so happy to have found LDL and to have been successful on it that sometimes I think I go overboard in bragging about how great a WOE it is and how well I have done.  Losing my cravings for sweets and for pizza have meant so much to me.  I still have to pinch myself to know it's real.  I'm sorry if I have ever been offensive to anyone.  I love my Savior, Jesus Christ, my Lord, and He is my First Priority, and I want to be pleasing to Him in all I do---eating, dressing, and speaking(writing posts).  However, even in having the desire to please Him, I still mess up, so I claim Jude 21.  God is merciful  and faithful and He always reminds me to depend on Him.  *love**hug* *hug*, and a dozen  :rose: :rose: to all.  :D Joyful Friend
witheraway1
Master Member

Post by witheraway1 »

Joyful Friend, Thanks for the roses........They will go nicely by my computer........Wither
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

My very heartfelt thanks to all of you who posted. I didn't agree with all the guidelines but they are just that - guidelines for a new way of communicating that didn't exist a few years ago. So we are all trying to find our way and do our best.  :thumbsup:

I read a lot of success stories in the past couple of days and there are far more people out there that believe the wonderful supportive posts far outweigh the other kind - me included.

I don't know what I would have done without all of you, especially when I first began. I don't think I would have done as well or have stuck with it without your guidance.  *hug*

*love*  :kissed:  :inlove:
Julie :rose:
Karen Weeks

Post by Karen Weeks »

Count me in also.  Everyone has been so kind and helpful, and had it not been for all of you, I don't think I would have stuck it out.  I also love that Roger writes which is comforting, knowing that he is also checkingin on us,  Thanks to all  hugs to everyone Karen