What Is Your Favorite?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
witheraway1
Master Member

What Is Your Favorite?

Post by witheraway1 »

What Is your Favorite  Room In Your House? Our son lived at home until he was 25, then he moved out two years ago and bought his own house. After he left I would walk by his room and a sadness would come over me. I missed seeing his stuff in there or him playing his music. I realized I had to make that a happy place. So his room became my huge walk in closet.........I have professional clothes racks, shoe racks,purse racks,  colored lights and a old-time swag lamp. Sewing machine,jewerly cabinet and yes, even a wine rack in there. Pictures of movie stars hanging on the walls...Now when people come over they want to see my closet for any changes I might have made. I can see all my clothes for the first time. That room has truly become a happy place.It is my favorite........Do you have a favorite room in your house you would like to share with us?.......WITHER
CodingQueen
Master Member

Re: What Is Your Favorite?

Post by CodingQueen »

Wither,

Our next project is a wine cellar but my husband and I can't agree on which design from the following website. When it's finally completed it will probably be a tie between that and my HUGE master bathroom....I love  *love* my jacuzzi tub.

http://www.vintagecellars.com/wine-cellar-design/

CQ
witheraway1
Master Member

Post by witheraway1 »

That wine cellar sounds good to me..........NOTHING LIKE A GOOD GLASS OF WINE............WITHER
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

My favorite room is my bedroom where I relax with a good book and my sweet puppy beside me before I go to sleep at night.  Would you consider a deck as a room?  If so, I love to sit outside and look at my flowers, the mountains and the lake.
witheraway1
Master Member

Post by witheraway1 »

A deck sounds very relaxing to me........with that glass of wine  :laughing:  Wither
southernyankee

Post by southernyankee »

Hi Wither,
My favorite room is my backyard!  :happy: Really!

Am I allowed to brag a bit? We have turned the entire back yard into a tropical garden. DH and I have done almost all the work ourselves, which saved us a bundle of money. We did have a new patio cover and pergola installed professionally.

The project has been a blast, from the planning and design phase, through the digging up the so-called "grass" (weeds...  :laughing: ) to installing edging and flagstone paths around the garden berms, to extending the concrete patio at the back door with cement pavers on both sides, to all the planting (and replanting), installing soaker hoses for irrigation, and mulch for moisture retention. The best part of all is that the whole back yard is now "no mow."

WOO-HOO!

DH also picked up a used aluminum above ground pool which he and DS put in for us.... that was also part of the design plan so it isn't just plunked in the yard like it fell from space.   :thumbsup: The pool gets lots of use from about Apr-Nov when we shut it down.

We started this in 2006, little by little as our budget would allow....this is the sort of project that can burn a big hole in your wallet if you let it  :teeth: so we are now at a garden "plateau" so to speak, for a while. I have no complaints about that!

I tend to get bored just sitting in a yard, I'd much rather stroll around the pathways several times a day, checking out the plants, pulling a few weeds through the mulch, and just enjoying it all. Most every day our formerly feral cat walks along with me and we have great conversations in "purr" language.   :)

As I tell anyone who sees the garden, "I live out there." And I am never bored in  our back yard!

southernyankee
P.S. Sorry, y'all....I just don't seem to be able to write a short message... laughing:
Last edited by southernyankee on July 30th, 2010, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
southernyankee
barrypaxton
Master Member

Post by barrypaxton »

Dear Southernyankee,

Can I come play in your yard? It sounds lovely!!! :thumbsup:

Ollie
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
southernyankee

Post by southernyankee »

Ollie,
Sure, why not? Come on over!

I had our neighbor's grandchildren (age 9 and 6) over to play in the pool several times during their 2-week visit last summer and again last month! The only rule is that they must have an adult with them at all times. Fortunately enough,  :D  it's usually been me who gets to be "designated adult." When else would I ever get the chance to pretend being a shark or a tugboat?  :laughing:

It is also so much fun to see the look on friends and neighbors faces when they walk through our backyard gate! Even those who have visited before seem to have their stress and concerns just instantly melt away. It has never failed to work for me as well.

southernyankee
southernyankee
witheraway1
Master Member

Post by witheraway1 »

Your  backyard sounds Wonderful, You can brag all you want on this post...........Afterall you put a lot of work and thought into it....Thanks to all that have posted.............Wither

ps........I don't think you could tell us about your favorite place if you didn't do a little bragging.
Last edited by witheraway1 on July 30th, 2010, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
51_too_young_to_be_old

Post by 51_too_young_to_be_old »

my favorite room is my day care room.... it is happy and colorful and fun to be in. I painted murals on the wall it is just cool. http://www.sandyland.net/tour/tour.html#9
{o,o}
|)__)
-"--"-

12/01/2010 - 319
04/09/2011 - 311
04/16/2011 - 306
4/23/2011 - 303
no scale.....
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

I've enjoyed the posts. All the rooms sound interesting.  I love my home which includes every room, patio, back yard, back porch, and swimming pool.  I really love my kitchen.  We had it remolded it in 95--15 yrs--wow.  Then updated last year with  stainless steel appliances.  I have two large ovens.  One end of my kitchen is done with antiques.  I have a round oak table--I redid it myself when we lived in our first home.  Over 50  yrs. ago. Then I have a square oak table. ( In the center of it sits a large wooden dough box.)  It has many, many leaves.  I have one large grain bin, one dough box, and  a Hoosier  kitchen cabinet.  The cabinet has all kinds of antique gadgets sitting all over it. Then I have windows all around the end where the round table is.  I have a large double glass door that my little dog  uses to go out to her space.  That part of the  yard is fenced in.  I have a whole lot of perennials in her space.  The floor in the kitchen is brick tile.  Under each table, I have a large rugs which are trimmed in fruit--now doesn't that fit my way of eating!!!  The wall paper has a border of fruit. LOL. My favorite appliance is my blender--my mixer used to be. I've always cooked a whole lot, but now I do it a whole lot healthier.  The only thing that makes me like my kitchen more is when my family and friends choose to sit a while.  You're invited.  At one time I attended many auctions.  I just love antiques. I was born liking the feel of old wood and the feel of pottery, and porcelain.  I also like old costume jewelry which I often wear.  Enough wrote!!! On and on I go.  Sorry :laughing: :laughing:  JF
southernyankee

Post by southernyankee »

I have also enjoyed reading all the messages....sandy land's web site shows how caring and inviting her child care is. I'm sure the children under her care feel welcome and secure, and with lots of avenues to stretch their imaginations. I absolutely love the wall murals. 51 - you are talented and creative!

Joyful Friend,
Your home sounds great...well rounded in love and the wisdom of passing time.

Thanks to everyone for sharing! This thread has been a nice way to get to know you better!

southernyankee
southernyankee
lrainbow2006

Post by lrainbow2006 »

Sandy...your daycare looks amazing...I wish my kids were needing your services and we lived in California...You are doing well...keep up the great work...Lisa...
Last edited by lrainbow2006 on August 1st, 2010, 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Started LDL  6/14/10
                  7/11/10  16# gone
bingo

Post by bingo »

Hi Sandy,,,I agree,,, You can see  the love and care in every room and outside !! Praise the Lord for your love of children !!!  bingo
51_too_young_to_be_old

thank you southernyankee & Irainbow.... I adore my day care life  *love* . the children amaze and astound me daily. They are mine in my heart. I love giving them things that make their imagination fly.  I have done this 30 years and will never retire, not because I cannot, but because it gives my life meaning. :)
{o,o}
|)__)
-"--"-

12/01/2010 - 319
04/09/2011 - 311
04/16/2011 - 306
4/23/2011 - 303
no scale.....
51_too_young_to_be_old

thank you Bingo, we posted at the same time :)
{o,o}
|)__)
-"--"-

12/01/2010 - 319
04/09/2011 - 311
04/16/2011 - 306
4/23/2011 - 303
no scale.....
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

southernyankee,

Your backyard sounds wonderful. I've been trying to get my husband to do the same with ours....using the no lawn to mow as a sales pitch..:thumbsup:  I would like to have a Japanese garden to be able to walk through...I just love some of the gardens I've seen with the ponds full of fish, etc....of course, I'd have to make sure that our cats didn't to decide to take up fishing. :laughing:

CQ
witheraway1
Master Member

Post by witheraway1 »

CQ.........cats do like fishing, they ate all of ours.........I even caught one trying to get the fish out of the fish tank..........Wither
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Wither,

I know....that's why we don't have an aquarium in the house. It's a shame, too, because I find them so soothing to watch.

CQ
southernyankee

Post by southernyankee »

Hi Y'all,
We have three cats so I've had to give in to the wisdom that a koi pond wouldn't be a good idea in our gardens. I think I've read that if your pond is deep it gives the fish a means to escape cats and birds...but it is not to be for us....I also think a koi pond would be very romantic and restful to look at.

We do have one good sized two-tier fountain on our patio (love those end of season clearance sales, this fountain was 50% off!) as a water feature. And I am already lobbying to put another on the other side of the yard. This lobbying thing calls for patience...must be patient, must be patient.......can do!  :cool:

southernyankee

P.S. Oh, yes, the no-mow angle is wonderful, CQ.....and sooooo true! One other thing I really like about our garden is that we can go out and walk the flagstone pathways immediately after rain stops, and keep our shoes clean. Before this, we were tracking clay mud into the house in rain or shine. It was yucky.
southernyankee