Book Club

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
rodie

Re: Book Club

Post by rodie »

Snoopy,
I'm alittle late starting this but would like to join in.I really need to read it again and jump back on board. I just read the intro and will read chapters 1 and 2 so I can catch up by the end of the holiday weekend.
Thanks!!I needed a SWIFT KICK ;)
Hugzzz
Rodie :)
debbiewetzel

Post by debbiewetzel »

SS,

I've had a copy of the blue book since the late 1990's and never opened it until this past week.  I would like to join in because I am actually reading the book now.  Tonight I ordered the red cover book and recipe cards and am so excited they're coming.

I am a newbie and so happy to have all of you as new friends as we head into the holidays.

Until June 2010, when I restarted Atkins, I was one of the best closet eaters you'll ever meet.  I can be sitting next to my DH and pig out and he never sees it.  Food used to be stashed all over my house, sometimes in plain sight.  When everyone went to bed, I'd start eating.  I too would eat just to eat and then be physically ill afterwards.  The 1st day all the beans let me have it, especially after no carb summer, I thought I'd blow up Thursday night. 

I am a weight loss poster child of sorts.  Since 4th grade, I've been fat.  Boy I wish I'd seen that article in Women First Magazine...somehow I missed that one and I almost always read it.

Being a skeptic doesn't help me b/c I keep thinking of all the diets and diet books I've bought through the years.  The WOE has me intrigued...I love the words eat all you want.

Debbie

Debbie
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w5UWHNB/]
[/url
Sneaky Snoopy
Master Member

Post by Sneaky Snoopy »

The book club is open to everyone or if you wish to lurk that is fine too.  It is to have fun and read in a group.  some times you miss something that someone else might catch.  So welcome Rodie to the book club.

Debbie - read the blue until the red comes, that way you can keep up with the group.  As for LDL as your new WOE, It is so easy to eat and be stratified with all the flavors.  You can meet your goal by eating.  The beans do help a lot.  Take Beano to help with the gas.  There has been a lot of threads about degassing your beans.  Search the boards for them.  I also recommend that you start a journal to help with what you are eating.  Others will guide you on things that might be not LDL friendly.  The boards have all the support that you need, just post or start a new thread with what ever you have a question on, someone will answer.  Welcome to LDL.

I am having a hard time finding 3 bean salad.  I looked in the bean section and chili section at Safeway with no luck.  What is in 3 bean salad? 
rodie

Post by rodie »

Snoopy
Do you have a Sams Club near you? I know I saw a jar of 3 bean salad there.I didn't get it cuz I wasn't sure if I would like it,guess I better make my own.
Have a good day
Hugzzzz
Sneaky Snoopy
Master Member

Post by Sneaky Snoopy »

We have Costco, I will go look today.  Thanks
Clown Lady
Master Member

Post by Clown Lady »

I am not sure but read the label.  I tend to think that it has sugar in it.
Clown Lady
http://boards.letsdolunch.com/boards/ga ... _33_10.jpg
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wS4gwd3/]
debbiewetzel

Post by debbiewetzel »

SS,

I've been making my own 3 bean salad....I used 1 can each of green beans, dark red pinto beans, and wax beans. I used Splenda to taste and distilled vinegar and I'm not really good about measuring but seems like maybe 1/2 cup.  I mixed all together and it turned out pretty good.  I also made a batch and used ff italian dressing instead of Splenda and vinegar.  That one was better. 
[/url
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Snoopy,

I make a regular garden salad with what I have on hand, chopped Romain lettuce, onions, peppers, cucumbers, celery, tomatoes. Then I rinse and drain pintos, black beans, navy beans, garbanzos and bleackeyed peas, and corn. Dress with a little Italian Lite dressing and it is soo yummy and filling. I am sure you could even add green beans and sweet peas to it also.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Sneaky Snoopy
Master Member

Post by Sneaky Snoopy »

I hope you all had a wonderful Labor day weekend.  I have to say I made the De Lettuce salad for dinner tonight and put it on the table for the family.  My younger son looked at it an passed, He is very picky (anti bean sort of guy).  My husband and I was skeptical about it.  We are not a three bean salad sort of family.  I did use a Four bean salad for the recipe.  For the dressing I gave my DH ranch and my self a ginger Asian on half and on the other ranch.  I added extra beats and fresh sweet corn.  WOW.  *woot* I did not expect it to taste like this.  I need to make more recipes.  tasty stuff.  I come from a non bean/beet family, and I have to say BEETs don't taste that bad.  They taste good.  :laughing:  Who would have thought.  Some times you are too afraid of eating something because of it's name.  I have to get over that.  Pickled beets are tasty.  the leftovers from the can are now in the fridge (not the trash).  My DH also liked the salad.  We ate it with fish, shrimp and stuffed tomatoes. 

What did you eat with your two recipes?  Was it your first time making them?  How did others except/enjoy it? 
southernyankee

Post by southernyankee »

S Snoopy,
The canned three-bean salad that I try to keep on hand is stocked in the canned veggie aisle of my market. It contains green beans, yellow "wax beans" - which I always thought were just yellow "green beans" but what do I know? -  :sideways: and red kidney beans.  Hope this helps.

I usually drain the three-beans well before serving them or adding them to a salad.

southernyankee
Last edited by southernyankee on September 7th, 2010, 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
southernyankee
Sneaky Snoopy
Master Member

Post by Sneaky Snoopy »

Thanks Southernyankee, I did find a Four bean salad at Costco.  I will still look at safeway for three bean.  I don't think they carry it at my store. 
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

I bought canned 3 bean salad--never was a big fan, but now I am.  I drained and rinsed it.  I put the salad on the table at our Labor Day picnic with tons of other foods.  I'm the only one who ate it, I think.  That suited me just fine.  I had it a while ago, and it is better today.  I put sweet Balsamic vinegar dressing on it.    Of course the burgers were eaten with a big slice of tomato, onion, and dill pickles.  I love pickled beets.  Kroger has small beets canned in water and salt.  On two cans, I add a cup of vinegar and probably 3/4 cup of splenda--bring to a boil, cool, and  store in refrigerator.  I love them.  You can add other spices if you want to them.  :thumbsup: JF
debbiewetzel

Post by debbiewetzel »

I love both beets and 3 bean salad...After a summer of low to no carbs,  It is wonderful to have these again.

Debbie
[/url
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

That's the wayI feel about having all the fruits, beets, corn, peas, and beans I want.  Isn't this a great WOE, with side effects of a new bunch of clothes! :laughing:  JF
RB Kayaking
Master Member

Post by RB Kayaking »

I confess--I do not eat three bean salad mix.  I do not eat it with peas.  I do not eat it corn.  I do not eat it with beets.  Three bean salad  mixes are not in my fridge.

I love piled high salads.  I start with a small pile of spinach, add the peas, corn, tomatoes, chickpeas, peppers, cucumbers and  broccoli florets.  I dip my fork tines in the dressing and enjoy.  I sometimes add meat if this is a lunch.  I never add three bean salad mix.

Burgers made with beef, turkey and beans are sooo good--but beans must be massacred beyond recognition (bean hating husband.)

RB Kayaking
Sneaky Snoopy
Master Member

Post by Sneaky Snoopy »

RB - you crack me up - I thought I was reading a Dr Sues book there for a moment.  *woot*  Before this recipe I too did not eat 3 bean salad or peas and definitely not beats.  I was surprised that my DH ate the helping that I gave him.  I would make this again.
I have not tried the hamburgers yet.  I need a day when the family is home.  busy week. 
Ginny M.
Master Member

Post by Ginny M. »

S Snoopy,  I don't have the red book so I have been following this book thread to see what's up in the red one.  Sorry, I don't follow where the "beets" came from, but I have to give you my favorite Beet recipe.    A can of sliced beets, drained.  Put in bowl.  Top with Newman's Light Lime Vinegarette dressing.  YUM!  The Lime dressing gives it a bit of a "twang".    Hope this works for you.

*hug*
Ginny
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Oooooo, Ginny,
The Lime Vinegarette Dressing sounds yummy. I don't think I have seen it in stores here but now I will have to make a point to look for it.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
rodie

Post by rodie »

Have we moved on to chapter 3 yet??Or have we taken alittle break?
Just wondering
Hugzzz
Sneaky Snoopy
Master Member

Post by Sneaky Snoopy »

This week is chaper 3.  When you come to a reciepe make it and we will chat about this chapter next monday (9-20-10)