National Watermelon Day

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
barrypaxton
Master Member

National Watermelon Day

Post by barrypaxton »

Tomorrow is National Watermelon Day (Aug 3rd).  Let's all eat some watermelon tomorrow and while you're eating your watermelon here's some facts about watermelon:

Watermelon Facts:
* Watermelons are more than 90% water.  That's how it got its name!
* For that reason, in ancient times travelers used them as a source of transportable water.
* They probably originated in Africa, but are now grown around the world.
* They are part of the gourd family.
* They grow on a vine and must be replanted yearly.
* Most people consider them to be a fruit, but horticulturists consider them a vegetable.
* They vary in size and shape.  The Japanese recently even developed a SQUARE watermelon!
* The outside of the watermelon is the rind.
* Inside the watermelon you'll find the flesh (the stuff you eat), and seeds.
* Watermelons can be different colors inside and out, as well as the amount of seeds that they contain.
* Most watermelons weigh from 5 - 40 pounds, but some get as large as 100 pounds.
* The 1996 Guiness Book of Records lists the largest watermelon as being 262 pounds!
* The seeds (like the pumpkin's seeds) can also be roasted and eaten.
* Some people use the watermelon rind for making preserves, pickles, or relish.
* That makes the whole watermelon edible!

Enjoy!!
Ollie
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
51_too_young_to_be_old

Re: National Watermelon Day

Post by 51_too_young_to_be_old »

that is so cool, thank youf or sharing, you taught me a thing or two... vegetable and gourd? wow who knew  :tongue:  I will celebrate with you. I have two in the fridge
{o,o}
|)__)
-"--"-

12/01/2010 - 319
04/09/2011 - 311
04/16/2011 - 306
4/23/2011 - 303
no scale.....
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

I just so happen to have a watermelon chillin' in the fridge as I type.  I will be enjoying watermelon on national watermelon day, tomorrow.  I hope you all enjoy some too.  ~jess
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Thanks Ollie,
Need to go to store to get some more. Watermelons kinda sparse past couple weeks.
Locally grown should be harvesting soon.
Rush Springs Watermelon Fesival is sometime this month I think.

BTW, Happy Birthday!Image
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
barrypaxton
Master Member

Post by barrypaxton »

Thanks for the birthday wish Linda. I am 62 and thanks to LDL I feel like I'm about 30!!

Blessings,
Ollie
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I hit 59 a couple weeks ago. Feel like 30 also. Would feel like 20 if I were 50lbs lighter! LOL
Last edited by LINDA RN on August 3rd, 2010, 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

I will be eating watermelon today too!  Love it!  I turned 57 this past June... makes me feel OLD just saying it, LOL..

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
Clown Lady
Master Member

Post by Clown Lady »

Oh what youngsters  I will be turning 68 in october.  We just had our watermelon festival and the record weight was between 125 and 150.  I haven't got the final.  I know a man that had a 135 for the contest.
We ate the last watermelon last night.  We are clearing out the frig as we will be traveling to Snoopy's house on friday.  Who's excited I wonder?  I havn't seen the boys since june of last year.
Clown Lady
http://boards.letsdolunch.com/boards/ga ... _33_10.jpg
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wS4gwd3/]
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Oh, Donna, I'm so happy you've got that trip planned!  Enjoy your time with Snoopy and her boys!  We just got back from a trip to my brother's to celebrate his 65th birthday.  He's the oldest and I'm the youngest -- 13 yrs. apart.  Mom came along and did so well.  She even climbed the stairs to the upstairs bedroom!  My brother was going to let her sleep in his bed downstairs, but I decided we should try to get her upstairs, since I have to check on her in the night and that was where I was sleeping.  So glad we tried.  No problem at all and now we can go to my sister's house in Illinois -- who only has upstairs bedrooms! 

Oh, and to stay on topic -- I'm going to eat watermelon today!  I love it!  I am so greedy when I shop for a watermelon, as I try to find the biggest one.  The last one I got was so big, I was sure I'd have a problem getting it to fit in my fridge.  I cut it differently and it worked just fine.  :thumbsup:  I try to eat watermelon every night for my dinner.  It is so filling and helps you not have water weight gain. 

About feeling younger, isn't it so true about the LDL way of eating?  I tell people I feel like I'm in my 20s or 30s now.  Since I'll be 52 soon, I think that is such great news.  Before LDL I'm was feeling older than I was.  That's why we've got to keep sharing this way of eating with others. 

I love the story in the Bible about the lepers outside the city who find all the food in the Syrians' camp.  Everyone is starving in the city and the Syrians are there to attack them.  Then God makes the Syrians think someone is about to attack them, so they flee suddenly leaving all kinds of food and goods behind them.  The lepers think the Syrians are in the camp and decide they are going to die of starvation, so they might as well go into the Syrians camp -- maybe they'll kill them or maybe they'll feed them.  They go in and no one is there and they can eat as much as they want.  Then after they are full they say how I feel about realizing that the LDL way of eating blessed me so much and others need it too.  Read II Kings 7:9.  This is how I feel about LDL, "Then they said to one another, 'We are not doing right.  This day is a day of good news, and we remain silent.'"  That's why I just have to share this way of eating with others.  :D  I just feel it would be wrong to remain silent!
southernyankee

Post by southernyankee »

SQUARE WATERMELON!!!

Someone has been reading my mind.....having a watermelon fall off the kitchen counter would be such a disaster. It hasn't happened here, but it could! Just imagining not having the fruit to enjoy and having the mess to clean up makes me sad  :'(  ! 
So, "Hooray for agricultural science!"

We have to go to the supermarket today and I will just have to buy a watermelon to celebrate this delicious treat. I'm not going to wait for the square ones to get to me. I'll just be vewy, vewy careful!

southernyankee
southernyankee
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Interesting post, Ollie.  It should be made a national holiday. LOL  :laughing: :laughing:  Belated Birthday wishes to you.  I try to keep watermelon on hand.  LDL does make us all feel better. It is too good  for us to keep to ourselves.  CL, enjoy your trip. The cool SF ocean breeze will do you good.  Glad your mom is doing better, Crick.  :thumbsup:  JF 
patns

Post by patns »

barrypaxton wrote:Thanks for the birthday wish Linda. I am 62 and thanks to LDL I feel like I'm about 30!!

Blessings,
Ollie

I turned 63 a few weeks ago. 62 was a very good age.
51_too_young_to_be_old

we loved national watermelon day

made hats, Willie the watermelon & hollowed out a watermelon to wear as a helmet
{o,o}
|)__)
-"--"-

12/01/2010 - 319
04/09/2011 - 311
04/16/2011 - 306
4/23/2011 - 303
no scale.....
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

With all those activities, you are definitely too young to be old.  Did you do all that yesterday -- or when you were a kid?  :D
51_too_young_to_be_old

LOL I hang every day with  3  two year olds,  3 three year olds, and 2 six year olds  :inlove: 

I am a kid every day because they share their world with me  :D 

Heck we also had two fire drills, made a astronaut picture, worked on our mural, put up pictures on our web page, played in the sprinklers, ran a race, collected flowers, tended our garden picked pea pods for a snack, took care of our birds and petted the dog.

yep I was i n bed asleep by 8:30pm  :blink:
{o,o}
|)__)
-"--"-

12/01/2010 - 319
04/09/2011 - 311
04/16/2011 - 306
4/23/2011 - 303
no scale.....
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I love it!  Love the child like spirit.  Kids can keep you young  -- funny, they can also age you too!  :laughing:  I guess it's how you respond to them.  You are doing great! :thumbsup:  Wait until you have been on LDL for a few months -- you'll be even younger still!