REDUCING GAS!

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
crickadoodle
Master Member

REDUCING GAS!

Post by crickadoodle »

In making preparations for my upcoming class at the university, I decided I needed to research how to reduce gas.  This is always a problem when adding so many beans to the diet.  I thought others might be able to add to this, and welcome any suggestions.  Mostly, I wanted to share it with many who I know have this problem.

Natural Remedies for Reducing Gas

You start eating healthy and begin to lose weight, but then a new problem crops up — embarrassing gas.  Although gas is a natural by-product of eating food, there are ways to control it.  Here are some suggestions:

1. Start taking probiotics.  These are live microorganisms (in most cases, bacteria) that are similar to beneficial microorganisms  found in the human gut.  (The opposite would be “antibiotics” which kill the beneficial flora of the stomach and intestines.)  Sometimes the environment of your intestines needs balancing to properly digest your food.

2. Slow down and chew your food well.  Not only will this help you feel full and not over eat, but you will digest your food better, reducing gas.  Starchy foods are digested most in the chewing process. (I think this is a biggy!  Think about it.)

3. Drink Carmina Tea — this is made with chamomile, caraway, dill, fennel, Melissa and peppermint and sweetened with licorice.

4. Use Beano —  contains enzymes that can digest the gas-causing carbohydrates raffinose and stachyose. Most beans are high in these carbohydrates.   Be sure to take enough — 5 drops per serving.  (a serving of beans is 1/2 cup)

5.  Prepare beans with kombu (seaweed) or by de-gassing them using baking soda, soaking beans overnight and throwing away the water, or other ways you might have heard of.  These techniques are supposed to reduce the gas.

6. Use carminatives (herbs for gas and bloating) —  herbs in the mint and carrot family, anise, basil, bergamot, caraway, coriander, cumin, dill, fennel, garlic, ginger, juniper, lavender, marjoram, nutmeg, oregano, rosemary, sage and thyme.

7. Avoid: smoking, chewing gum, drinking carbonated drinks, drinking with straws, and drinking from water fountains — these cause you to gulp in excess air and gas.

8. Take a walk after a heavy meal.
Last edited by Anonymous on September 3rd, 2010, 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
debbiewetzel

Re: REDUCING GAS!

Post by debbiewetzel »

Hi Crick,

I bought Probiotics and started taking them b4 meals and have noticed such a difference.  Much, much better now.  You wrote about soft drink consumption.  I have a real addiction to diet drinks.  I know that I should stay FAR AWAY from them, but so far, I haven't.  Today, I did walk by the 2 liter bottles and picked up a 12oz instead.  Am trying to drink more water, day 1.

Debbie
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w5UWHNB/]
[/url
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Debbie, we make changes one step at a time.  When we change too much too quickly, I think we tend to not stick to them all.  For me, anyway, I do better if I take one change at a time.  I think you could maybe switch to iced tea -- at least that has worked for others.  I'm certain you won't retain as much fluid and your weight will probably go down in a big spurt when you give up the carbonation.  You are doing great!  Glad the probiotics worked!
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

I have found that rinsing all canned beans well, until foam is no longer formed, is very effective in reducing or actually eliminating gas.  Pam
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Looks like you covered all the bases, Crick. Good post.
Pam, Since starting LDL, we have been eating rinsed canned beans. When I cooked some dry beans a while back, I noticed I had a lot more gas.
Debbie, as much as I loved sweets, it helped learning about how bad the corn syrup & processed flour was. For me, it was easier to make healthier choices after learning the facts. Hope the facts help you kick the soda habit.
Last edited by LINDA RN on December 7th, 2010, 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
debbiewetzel

Post by debbiewetzel »

Crick,  You are so right.  I do drink green tea with Splenda and love it.  Thing is everytime I see a diet soft drink, I really struggle, but I am taking one day at a time.  Pam, I rinse the can beans too, but Walmart has 25lb bags of dried pinto beans and my dad bought them to save money.  The only thing I haven't done is soak them the night b4 and maybe I need to do that.  Linda, I got over sweets so easily and never crave them...I am surprised by that and was hoping to drop the diet drinks as quickly.  Truth is, they really don't taste that good any more, but they certainly call my name when I go to the grocery store.  Maybe I will wear ear plugs.  LOL.  I am so grateful to have all of you here on the boards to help and encourage but also to pray with me when I need it. 

Love,
Debbie
[/url
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

I was taught to soak beans over night in soda water.  Heat the beans in soda water until they boil then remove from heat.  Next morning rinse well and cook and it removes alot of the gas.
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Wendy, That's exactly how I was taught to do, and it really helps.  After  they have soaked over night, I then  boil  them in the soda water, I usually rinse them then, and then cook. Either way is fine.  It does the trick.  :thumbsup: JF
debbiewetzel

Post by debbiewetzel »

I will try soaking this way.  I read this to my dad and he remembers his mother doing the same thing....

Thanks
[/url
Karen Weeks

Post by Karen Weeks »

Cricket  where do you get probiotics?  Thanks Karen
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Health food stores have them.
Or you can buy them on line.
I started with some Dr. Becker sold that do not need refrigeration.
They are pricey though. After a few months I tapered off taking them and now just keep some childrten's chewable (kinda like Tums) in the refrdgerator. They are called Chewable Acidophyllis. They are much less expensive, but starting out you may need to take more than just acidophyllis, so go for the ones with the highest culture count and the most different cultures. Seach the boards for more info on Probiotics. I know we have posted several articles about it. It is basically putting back the normal bacteria that is supposed to be in your GI tract that taking antibiotics has killed off.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I get probiotics from Vitacost.com.  I have them to take everyday, but I don't always remember to take them.  There are different kinds, some with many strains of bacteria (good thing) in them.  You can take them at each meal too.  They won't hurt you.  It gets your digestive system very healthy. 
Karen Weeks

Post by Karen Weeks »

Thanks  will certainly check into these..  Karen
stevens660

Post by stevens660 »

That's really good to know! I have been having that problem, but I just love the veggies so much! I didn't realize drinking through a straw would cause excess air. It makes sense, but just never considered it! Interesting fact about the beans too, I'll have to try that! Thanks!

Mel
Mel :D
javabean
New, but learning

Post by javabean »

Probiotics are good for reducing gas but many people do not react well to probiotics and may get diarrhea from a capsule form...as opposed to a yogurt with probiotic in it. Having said that, one of the best on the market is Rainbow Light pre- and pro- biotic...advanced enzyme OPTIMA. Vitacost is a good source for vitamins and supplements. Taking a probiotic every day may be a bit much on one's system. If that is the case, try taking one every other day. Compare sources. I have had good luck with Vitacost, Amazon, and even Walgreens. (OH, and some people may have excruciating reactions to taking Beano. One may take Beano for a while then one day, bam! Severe stomach aches and diarrhea.)

crickadoodle wrote:I get probiotics from Vitacost.com.  I have them to take everyday, but I don't always remember to take them.  There are different kinds, some with many strains of bacteria (good thing) in them.  You can take them at each meal too.  They won't hurt you.  It gets your digestive system very healthy. 
mtngirl

Post by mtngirl »

I have a couple of questions about reducing gas. This problem keeps me from sticking to LDL and I really want to do this WOE.

What is a good brand of probiotics that I can get at walmart or drugstore? Where can I buy carmina tea? Thanx Crick for all your suggestions.

Alisa
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Look for probiotics that have the most number of different cultures and the most colonies in each culture. The ones I had seen in Walmart were not very good a few years ago. They may have better now. I have bought those on sale at the health food stores but by far the best are the ones I get from Vitacost or the ones from Dr. Richard Becker. Neither of these have to be refrigerated or loose their potency. They are expensive no matter how you look at it but the overall health benefits are worth it.
Linda

omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

Posting this so it will show up again on the boards. It is a great post about a common problem and sometime gets more frequent as you get older. Mom refuses to eat beans because of the gas. So eat beans, the musical fruit.....
Aloha,
Leilani

I know what I'm doing, says the Lord.
I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.
Jeremiah 29:11