Stay Away from Figs and Dates

Please keep an eye out here for important website updates!
Julietress
New, but learning

Re: Stay Away from Figs and Dates

Post by Julietress »

Thanks for that bit of info. I was glad to know this ! Julie Back on Track
I can do all things thorugh Christ , which strengtheneth me.
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Yes, Roger Troy...you're so right about those figs....

They may have led me off the path of right eating to begin with!!  I missed them for a few days but i already feel lighter and my mom was so glad to get my fig stash...i had accumulated a whole bunch of different kinds of figs...figlets, mission figs, Israeli figs....figgitaboutid!  ;D

Thanks RT for keeping us going in the right direction!

no more figs for me....

Oh...RT, you were getting ready to tell me in my dream whether i could eat dates instead of figs!  Well?  Can we?

God bless
margo
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

oh...never mind...i just reread RT's post where it says no dates either.

okydoky

thanks

God bless!
margo
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

margo wrote:Yes, Roger Troy...you're so right about those figs....

They may have led me off the path of right eating to begin with!!  I missed them for a few days but i already feel lighter and my mom was so glad to get my fig stash...i had accumulated a whole bunch of different kinds of figs...figlets, mission figs, Israeli figs....figgitaboutid!  ;D

no dateaboutit.................they done me in..............haha.............
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

OK - my figs are now birdie food!  :D
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Gwennaford wrote:OK - my figs are now birdie food!   :D

not FRESH figs? :'( :'( :'(..............fed-ex them to me........they have NO effect on MY blood sugars...........
Last edited by niki on September 12th, 2008, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Yep - they're fresh, but they really don't have the best taste.  I think you would be disappointed.  Neither the brown turkey figs or the black mission figs are very sweet.  I think they are fairly perishable and were probably picked a little green for a longer shelf life.

They didn't seem to have any effect on my blood sugar either, but I'm trying to be good & stay away from questionable foods in accordance with Roger's recommendations.

Love, Gwen
ImageImage
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Gwennaford wrote:Yep - they're fresh, but they really don't have the best taste.  I think you would be disappointed. 

actually, the difference is wether they're home grown or store bought...i've NEVER met a home grown fig i didn't like.............
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

There are still a few folks around here with little brown turkey fig trees in their yards, but many were infected with a rust disease & had to be removed. That was the case with ours.  It was an interesting looking little tree & I hated to lose it.  We never got many figs from it because I had to fight the birds for them.  But the ones I did  get were amazing.  Many times I have breakfasted in the back yard on figs, grapefruits, oranges, lemons, tangerines, avocados, mangos & loquats (not all my trees, but I have generous neighbors  :tongue:)  Most of those trees are gone now, through disease or lack of proper care.  Neighbors come & go, you know?

Now I have my eye on the Chinese family's LYCHEE trees.  I'm still trying to decide the best way to approach them to beg for fruit.

Love, Gwen
ImageImage
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Gwennaford wrote:Now I have my eye on the Chinese family's LYCHEE trees.  I'm still trying to decide the best way to approach them to beg for fruit.

you go girl......i'm still waiting to find them in the asian market...
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hi Niki...

i was at the Chinese market yesterday and i did not see one single lychee!  The season may already have passed.  I'll take a look later today in some other markets and see if i can find a few for the freezer.  If so, i'll make up a package for you and put your name on it until we meet in October.

God bless...
margo
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

How do you prepare lychee nuts?  How do you use them in recipes?  Do you eat them like chestnuts?  What do they taste like?  You can buy them canned, right?  I imagine the fresh ones taste better then the canned ones, like most other fruit.

Pat
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

To eat Lychees (or Lychee nuts) just take the skin off and slide out the little white fleshy fruit from inside and eat it....the nut is inside the white fleshy part...it's a pit really....don't know why they call them nuts....

some people use them to cook with...adding them to sauces...the Chinese do this...

they're delicious.

God bless..
margo
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

Margo; are you saying you eat the nut (pit, seed)?
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

oh no Enjae...don't eat that seed or pit....just eat the fruit!

my hubby saves each and every lychee nut pit...he swears he's going to try to cultivate it at the family compound in Egypt...but i don't think they're gonna grow there

enjoy your sunday and God bless!
margo