Take HEED to What I Said About Bread, Pasta, Potatoes & Rice

Please keep an eye out here for important website updates!
lulu65

Re: Take HEED to What I Said About Bread, Pasta, Potatoes & Rice

Post by lulu65 »

Thank you RT for your input in this this thread.. I am not sure what HFCS has to do with grains and bread.. I realize HFCS is one of the worst things on the planet..I understand what you are trying to say here but do not think it is a fair comparison.. I can be wrong..
I also ask why in your red book printed in 2009 do you say that whole grain cereal for breakfast after fruit (page 49) is ok if still hungry, and yet on the board it is not encouraged.
I will not be taking you up on the rye bread challenge as I feel it is not the all the rye bread I want and not gain would be like saying eat all the red meat I want and not gain weight.. and I know you do not endorse that  :)

lulu
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

lulu65,

The reason why RT says to eat whole grain cereal for breakfast after the fruit if still hungry is because some people have a hard time adjusting to this way of eating in the beginning. The goal is to eat just fruit for breakfast but some people are still hungry. Eventually they are able to eliminate the whole grain cereal after their body has adjusted.

The reason why it's not encouraged on the boards is because we're trying to help teach everyone how to do the LDL program the way it's written...Fruit for breakfast and dinner and our main meal at lunch without any bread, pasta, potatoes or rice. Of course, there are times when eggs and soup are what we want for breakfast or dinner and that's fine, too.

I hope this answers your question.

CQ
Red Lion Lass

Post by Red Lion Lass »

lulu65 wrote:It seems to me there is no room for discussion here... I am asking where is your scientific or other proof a link of some kind that will confirm this..
There have been people on this plan who have eaten bread and still lost a great amount of weight.. that is why I ask ? 
No they did not eat the loaf  :laughing:. There are people who are gluten intolerant etc.. I understand all that there are people who are sensitive to grains ..I get that but to make the statement that the bread will turn to fat in your body UNLESS YOU ARE CALORIE COUNTING 
There is so much of this way of eating that is not new.. Eating biggest meal at noon was the norm in olden days.. and a light supper... but for some reason to ask questions here is not encouraged in fact ridiculed.. If you want to attract more people you need to keep an open mind...imo 

and furthermore red lion I never said I was or was not eating that bread.. I am really trying to understand "why"

I'm sorry if you were affended but I thought that CodingQueen had explained it in terms that you could understand. I have a lot respect for that woman but I also know her on a personal level. She knows her stuff and will be the first to tell you when she doesn't. The first time my husband met her his first thought was "Blonde Bimbo". Boy, was he surprised to find out how smart she is and had to eat his words. He even said that she missed her calling. She should have been a doctor. I guess that's as close to a compliment that he'll ever give her because he doesn't compliment anyone.

Red Lion Lass
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Red Lion Lass,

I really appreciate your support but that still doesn't justify your comments to lulu65. I would suggest that in the future if you have something to say to someone that you use the Personal Message function. How do you think she felt reading what you had to say while everyone else was reading it as well? I know you. You would have been devastated in her shoes. I don't mean to be harsh but you really need to learn to be more considerate of others. And to hear that your husband actually gave me a compliment so to speak shocks me. :shocked: I got the impression that he hated me for reasons I won't go into on this thread. Nevertheless, I have a lot to learn if I want to go back to med school and study naturopathic medicine which is my dream.

I'm so tired of seeing patients that don't go to naturopathic physicians and are having to take a list of drugs as long as your arm. I can't imagine trying to keep up with their schedule. For example, Coumadin has a schedule all it's own and you have to adhere to it unless you want to bleed to death. Or die from an embolism/thrombosis because you forgot to take it all together.

CQ
Last edited by CodingQueen on April 19th, 2010, 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bethann
Master Member

Post by Bethann »

I am so thankful to Mr. Wilson and his heart and concern for others, his thoughtfulness and generosity in providing this LDL Community. He wants to make things simple and clear to help the most people.
I am thankful also for the word picture of bread being thought of as fat or turning into fat. For me that is the way it has seemed to be and I have had such a difficult time sticking to any way of eating that would help me loose weight until I was lead to Let's Do Lunch.
It is something that seems to be often taboo to talk about but it is miserable to have a weight problem as we all know. It doesn't have to be this way. There is something very wrong in our culture with our food .... and we also don't get the exercise that is built into some other countries. (For ex. It impressed me when I visited Japan that we saw NO fat people there.)

Everyone needs fat of some kind or we would die. (My Father use to tell me how people tried to live on rabbit alone up North and couldn't because the Rabbit meat is too lean.) Fat is a blessing and a gift from God but something has gone wrong and Mr. Wilson and others are trying to figure it out to help themselves and others. Fat is not bad and Bread, Pasta, Potatoes and Rice (depending on how they are made and how much you eat of course  lol) are not bad I think. (The Bible talks about the "Bread of Life"). But for me, in my circumstances and life, Bread etc is bad because the effect they have on me. My husband son, and others seem to be able to eat these things and not be overweight. I think it would be best if you are the type of person that can eat bread that you be careful to eat the best quality you can afford, make or get ahold of.

In Mr. Wilson's LDL way of eating he allows a bit of cereal, oatmeal etc. to help this way of eating work for those who need this .... and encouraging them to satisfy this craving in the healthiest way and least damaging way that they can. In his experience in loosing weight and keeping it OFF he found you couldn't ignore cravings and should deal with them in the best way you could ....
I have much appreciated the program for it's practical way of looking at things and HINTS, ADVISE of what to do in situations .... for example .... doing the best you can in certain situations? ....restaurant hints..... (Is that the right way to put it? .... please correct me if need be  :) )
It gives me much hope that if I don't do everything just perfect it still can work for me!  :rose: :thumbsup:  :) ETC. ETC.  :) It's given me the courage to keep trying and doing the best I can .... and when I have failed to just start again as soon as possible .... and to keep learning how to apply LDL better in my life....

Just a few thoughts .....  :rose:

Blessings to you and  *hug*

(Beth)ann
Last edited by Bethann on April 18th, 2010, 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patns

Post by patns »

Just to add from my own experience my doctor told me years ago she suspected I could not handle wheat and suggested I change to spelt bread.  I used it for several years because I really like it. But it made no change in weight loss for me.

I didn't realize until I read the red book that rice and potatoes have the same effect as wheat. I suspect rye may be fine for me but will not risk experimenting until I get to goal. I would only try this using rye bread I made mysel because I suspect the rye bread you buy has some wheat mixed with it.
This weekend I  had an example of the difference between WW (the way many people do it) and LDL. My son doesn't have a big amount to lose about 30 pounds. He has been following the WW plan and counting points all week and going to the gym 5 days a week. Then he came to my house yesterday and had all "flex points" for the week and used them all eating high fat junk.

I tred to explain to him that by flooding his body with that garbage he was undoing all the good he had been doing all week. But he insisted that it was fine because he had all the points left over.
bludaffodil

Post by bludaffodil »

[quote="Roger Troy Wilson"]

Take note that on page 49 I also said "eat as small a breakfast as possible" of anything EXCEPT fruits and fruit smoothies...

***********************************************************************************

HUH?  I don't have my book so I can not check this out.......am I reading this post wrong?
Breakfast is anything BUT fruit and fruit smoothies?    :shocked:

Somebody help!!! 

Thanks,
Kathy
Bethann
Master Member

Post by Bethann »

It turns out I was posting this the same time as Little Mary... hope this is okay?
Quoting Page 49: Breakfast Tips:

"If eating only fruit for breakfast just doesn't do it for you, immediately upon waking eat just a little fruit to get our "metabolism motor" started. Try adding some no-fat cottage cheese to some strawberries or other fresh fruit. Use Stevia sweetener if necessary.

Then after getting ready for work, eat as small a breakfast as possible...whole-grain cereal (no sugar in the ingredients) with fat-free skim or low-fat milk, fruit on top, and a diet sweetener. Or try Corn Thins with tomato and a half-slice of fat-free cheese melted on top. An omelet, using fat-free cheese, or an egg or two over mashed and heated fat-free refried or pinto beans along with Corn Thins can be eaten. Other ideas include Butter-bean Potato Cakes and Ground-chicken Sausages and Popcorn-flour Pancakes with pureed blueberries or strawberries on top. (See chapter 9 for all recipes.)

On those days when you are famished in the morning, go....
(turning the page to page 50  ;))
....ahead and have as much fresh fruit for breakfast as you want. It is imperative that you eat some fresh fruit each and every day-if you don't, you wilk get terrible cravings for foods with processed sugar---regular sugar --- in them and end up going off your diet."

Hope this is helpful bludaffodill....  :rose:
Last edited by Bethann on April 19th, 2010, 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
bludaffodil

Post by bludaffodil »

Little Mary and BethAnn,

Thanks for clearing that up...........I didn't want newbies to get
confused........so I asked for clarification.    :thumbsup:

I knew if I had gotten confused by the post even after doing LDL
for close to 10 months.......I knew they (newbies) might.  ;)

I have loaned out my book, so I couldn't clarify it myself because I couldn't
"go to page 49".  LOL

Thanks again for "jumping in here" and helping us all out.

Have a great day, you two!  :)

Kathy
lulu65

Post by lulu65 »

Bethann wrote:
It is something that seems to be often taboo to talk about but it is miserable to have a weight problem as we all know. It doesn't have to be this way. There is something very wrong in our culture with our food .... and we also don't get the exercise that is built into some other countries. (For ex. It impressed me when I visited Japan that we saw NO fat people there.)

Everyone needs fat of some kind or we would die. (My Father use to tell me how people tried to live on rabbit alone up North and couldn't because the Rabbit meat is too lean.) Fat is a blessing and a gift from God but something has gone wrong and Mr. Wilson and others are trying to figure it out to help themselves and others. Fat is not bad and Bread, Pasta, Potatoes and Rice (depending on how they are made and how much you eat of course  lol) are not bad I think. (The Bible talks about the "Bread of Life"). But for me, in my circumstances and life, Bread etc is bad because the effect they have on me. My husband son, and others seem to be able to eat these things and not be overweight. I think it would be best if you are the type of person that can eat bread that you be careful to eat the best quality you can afford, make or get ahold of.

Just a few thoughts .....  :rose:

Blessings to you and  *hug*

(Beth)ann

Interesting Beth Ann no fat people in Japan.. I know in other parts of the world there are no fat people.. China would be another I would think and interestingly enough the Chinese eat a great deal of rice..
Japan too the meals are different than here.. and yet rice and potatoes etc. are part of the meals.. I think this is why it is so difficult to rule out one food or another..How many times have you heard it is not the potato but what you put on the potato and then there are those who are carb sensitive..
Lots of good food for thought
Last edited by lulu65 on April 19th, 2010, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

The Chinese also have a HUGE problem with diabetes -- and it is not a new thing that is just coming in because of Western eating habits. I work with a number of Chinese nationals who have been doing private health care and teaching disease prevention and reversal for a number of years. It is a largely undiagnosed problem by the Chinese medical community, but they are becoming more and more aware that it is not going to go away just because they don't look for it.

Processed and refined carbs and simple starches are not really anyone's friend.

My 2 cents
Terri
Last edited by tprouty on April 19th, 2010, 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bethann
Master Member

Post by Bethann »

My son lived in Japan and now he is living in Seoul, S. Korea and he has told me that they process their rice differently in the Orient then here. Supposedly it is a healthier way to process it....
Also their portions that they would eat of rice are not as big as our portions tend to be.
When I visited Japan it was only for 10 days. But in that 10 days I ate and drank differently and walked a lot. I lost more then 10 lbs. Of course I gained it back when I came home. (I didn't know about LDL then...  :'( )

When we visited Seoul we were there for 3 weeks. It took that 3 weeks to loose 8 lbs. I know I didn't walk as much plus we had pop (soda) with our restaurant meals and they eat potatoes some (and cheese was added to our meal sometimes when we ate out) and  they are more influenced by our Western culture then the Japanese.
(I don't remember eating potatoes in Japan but they sure love eggs ... me too!  :) ....and drinks etc. were less sweet .... I've read that 40% of their products are sweetened with Stevia and that the little Pop (Soda) that they have there is sweetened with Stevia as well).

Fortunately I decided to commit to LDL before I had gained back all the 8 pounds of weight I had lost in S.Korea!  :happy:  :rose:

BethAnn  :)

(We did see some fat people in S.Korea but they were very much in the minority as yet ....)
Last edited by Bethann on April 20th, 2010, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.