Let’s Do Lunch – Summer get together?

Keep up to date with what's going on with LDL and it's members!

Possible cities

California
17%
Chicago
17%
Florida
17%
New York
6%
Minnesota
6%
Texas
11%
Virginia Beach
17%
North Carolina
11%

Total votes: 18

tcasola
Administrator

Let’s Do Lunch – Summer get together?

Post by tcasola »

Now that the holidays are over, I would like to broach a subject that has been joked about many times on the board – Doing a Get Together.

I fully comprehend we’re all spread out across the country, and doing an impromptu get together isn’t feasible. However, with the summer coming up, and vacation days possible, maybe we can decide on a centralized location and meet?

We’ve joked about cruises and ranches. While I would be willing to participate in any of these, I understand this could be expensive, and money is tight for many. So it doesn’t need to be elaborate. And it doesn’t need to be a full week. I think a weekend/long weekend should be sufficient.

As you all know, I don’t like states that have alligator and/or crocodiles – however, I will be willing to surrender my fear and go anywhere – if it would be convenient for others.

Just putting it out there to see if there is any desire. 
Last edited by tcasola on January 22nd, 2007, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me

Matthew 22:36-40

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get when I lose weight”
robnveronica
Master Member

Re: Let’s Do Lunch – Summer get together?

Post by robnveronica »

hey Tom, I'd love a get together, however we already booked our vacation for the year (August 11-18 up in beautiful Northern CA!!) So for us..probably not this year!

HOWEVER: Anyone on LDL up near Willits?? Maybe we could meet for a meal somewhere during that time and have a small get together!
V.
imkay

Post by imkay »

i hear that North Carolina is a great place to have get togethers!! :)
it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice
niki

Post by niki »

imkay wrote:i hear that North Carolina is a great place to have get togethers!! :)

NOONE has to ask me TWICE...
  tom....i think we can all manage to have it in a croccodile/alligator free state.....you'll just have to have someone check mary's suitcase before she unpacks to make sure that there are no stowaways.....niki
DEBBIEWEBE

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

Chicagos pretty cheap to get to from almost anywhere, very centrally located.  Theres lots to do here in the summer too.  Im with Tom though I'm flexible.  I think we just put it to a vote Tom.  Can you give us a couple choices, put it in a post and let the people decide?
Debbie
tcasola
Administrator

Post by tcasola »

We'll leave it up to the masses. Above is a poll, and you can choose more then 1 city. I tried to note the most common places. Some are cities, others are just states - and we will narrow the specific city as time goes on.

For now, the choices are:

California

Chicago

Florida

New York

Minnesota

Texas

Of course, as more folks reply, I will expand the choices.
Last edited by tcasola on January 22nd, 2007, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

niki

Post by niki »

personally,i like to be near the water...i would go for virginia beach or north carolina or florida...if we had it in florida,i would fly...but either of those other places,i would probably drive...i drove to maryland with my son(when he was a teenager)for a hocky tournament..i drove to pennsyvlania and massachusetts for church conferences....i think i could do it..................niki     
DEBBIEWEBE

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

Did I hear you say you LOVE WATER??????  We have an AWESOME BEACH HERE!!!!! Lots of Beautiful Sailboats, Navy Pier, Millenium Park, Museums( art, history, science) , Zoos, and Restaurants to die FOR!!!!  I'll go anywhere they vote for though, for me its not about the location its about the people.  I think it should be clarified when voting.  Only vote for where you are willing to TRAVEL and PLAN TO BE THERE.  Not just where you'd like it to be at if your not going to attend then you shouldnt vote for that place.  Just my humble opinion but I certainly dont want to pay to go to Florida then noone shows up or they cancel last minute.  If youre really only willing to go to your own state or the one next to it then just vote for that state.  Majority will dictate location.
Debbie
tcasola
Administrator

Post by tcasola »

OK. I added Virginia Beach and North Carolina.

Debbie,

While I agree with your concerns, I don't want to prevent others from voting just because they will feel they will be obligated to attend.

Since we're in the preliminary stages I think it’s ok to vote, even if someone is unsure they can attend. (Example: Someone may want to vote if the event is held in their state/city however they know they won't attend if we meet somewhere else. Then let them vote. If majority votes another place, then the person will not come.)

On the other hand, I do agree not to vote if you truly know you will not attend.

And I also agree, its not about the location but about the people
Tom

niki

Post by niki »

tcasola wrote:OK. I added Virginia Beach and North Carolina.

haha...thanks, tom........niki
DEBBIEWEBE

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

Tom, this is exactly what I was trying to say....only you just said it better!!!!  Im not against them voting...only if they would seriously not attend. If 15 people who dont want to meet vote for Florida....then it sort of screws it up for those wanting to go.  The more the merrier I say!!!! Plus if there are enough interested in coming then perhaps one might change their plans and join the group at a different location afterall.  I think its nice when someone like Mary or Roger travels and lets everyone know their plans in case someone wants to meet up too.  I think that will make other locations available to meet up during the course of the year too. 
Debbie

tcasola wrote:OK. I added Virginia Beach and North Carolina.

Debbie,

While I agree with your concerns, I don't want to prevent others from voting just because they will feel they will be obligated to attend.

Since we're in the preliminary stages I think it’s ok to vote, even if someone is unsure they can attend. (Example: Someone may want to vote if the event is held in their state/city however they know they won't attend if we meet somewhere else. Then let them vote. If majority votes another place, then the person will not come.)

On the other hand, I do agree not to vote if you truly know you will not attend.

And I also agree, its not about the location but about the people

imkay

Post by imkay »

THANKS FOR ADDING NC AND VA!!!

:)

TOM TOM HE'S OUR MAN!!!  TOM TOM HE'S OUR MAN!!TOM TOM HE'S OUR MAN!!!  TOM TOM HE'S OUR MAN!!TOM TOM HE'S OUR MAN!!!  TOM TOM HE'S OUR MAN!!TOM TOM HE'S OUR MAN!!!  TOM TOM HE'S OUR MAN!!TOM TOM HE'S OUR MAN!!!  TOM TOM HE'S OUR MAN!!TOM TOM HE'S OUR MAN!!!  TOM TOM HE'S OUR MAN!!
it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice
tcasola
Administrator

Post by tcasola »

I got family in NC who keeps asking me to visit. Maybe I can kill 2 birds with one stone.

I lived in VA when I briefly worked in DC.
Tom

Tori

Post by Tori »

I would vote, but Montana is a long way away from most of the states you have listed, and to be quite honest, we wouldn't be able to afford to fly out there. :(

Maybe we could have a few different get together spots this summer? West Coast, Central, and East Coast?

I know that I will be in the state of Washington (at least that is what the plan is right now) over my birthday. (The week of August 16)

Anyone in the Seattle/Everett area that is interested in meeting at that time?