Diabetes type 2

Post here about how your health has been improved since eating the LDL way!
omalani
Master Member

Re: Diabetes type 2

Post by omalani »

I think my sugar level are going down slowly. I think it would go down faster if I ate less fruit. However, for now I haven't had any bread, sugary desserts,maybe a few bites of potato, and no pasta since October 10th. I haven't felt deprived or had cravings. It is not because I am not around it, my DH has to have desserts daily. He would like to have them after each meal!! At the hospital, there are Holiday sweet in abundance. LDL is a God given miracle. When Linda comes home I'm going to have her help me get a picture and ticker tape. Thanks for all your encouragement.
                        Aloha, Leilani
3/2/13
I have been getting sloppy in my meal preparation, this was my 1st week back to work after my injury and working days is very different. Making dinner at the end of the day is harder than breakfast at the end of the night shift and I have been eating things I shouldn't. The last 4 days in Jan., I had potatoes. I started out with a little in my soup and ended up eating a cup of Potato cassarole with cheese on top. Then yesterday my 14yo grandson who used to cook with me all the time when he was younger, came over to visit and he made rice krispy bars abd brownies. I didn't have any till after he went home and I was cleaning up the kitchen and I had 1/2 tsp. of brownie crumbs and a small piece of the bars. I guess the kitchen is a dangerous place for me when I am tired. That was the first dessert I've had since 10/10/12. It is amazing how bad habits can creep back into your life. Thank God I went to bed before is turned into a binge. Just have to be more careful when I'm tired.
Last edited by omalani on March 2nd, 2013, 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aloha,
Leilani

I know what I'm doing, says the Lord.
I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.
Jeremiah 29:11

omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

My sugar levels are going down and I am continuing to lose weight. I have an appt. with the diabetic educator on 1/15 and have to take 3 days of menus. I know she wants me to include grains, but the only one I eat is corn, she also told me I was eating too much fruit in the smoothies. But "I NEED MY SMOOTHIES"!!! I make one in the morning and drink 1/2 and freeze the rest. I will eat a little protein with lunch and dinner. When I'm working I eat dinner at 6:30PM(work at 7:30PM) and eat a second dinner between 1:00-3:00AM I get off at 8:00AM, and if I am hungry I have a smoothie. I am going to retire soon so that will make my life less stressful and I won't be walking around sleep deprived most of the time. Maybe financial stress! Well it's time to turn in, I will be coming on with good news after my appt. Aloha, Leilani
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Oma- I'm sure you will shake up the educator's assumptions and teach her a thing or two. Have fun! Good luck!!! Pam
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Leilani, just wanted to report to you that my mom's blood sugar has shown an even increased improvement from what it already was. So I kept lowering her dosage of insulin. Well, it was so low, I decided to see what would happen with no insulin -- and yesterday AM it was 108 and today 118, so it is still great numbers!!

The reason it is doing better I realized after thinking about what we were doing different -- is that I increased her dose of Vitamin D3. She was taking 4000 units a day and I doubled it when we had colds. Well, her blood sugar was doing so awesomely it had me scratching my head. Then I made the connection to the D3 and looked up on Dr. Mercola's website to see if there was a link and most definitely there is!! I am so excited. Mom eats only fresh fruits, veggies, meat, beans, nuts and coconut or olive oils. I feed her absolutely no grains, so your dietician lady is wrong about you needing to eat grains. (In the book Wheat Belly, they say that nothing spikes blood sugar as badly as whole grain bread! Well, maybe they don't say NOTHING -- but it really causes your blood sugar to spike.) Mom 86 years old and is diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic. I read that, truly, a type 2 diabetic shouldn't be on insulin. I am amazed, because she used to take 20 in the AM and 15 in the PM. When I was down to 3 in the AM and 2 in the PM I realized that maybe she really didn't need it at all.

Vitamin D3 is so important and with the overuse of sunscreens, we don't get enough naturally. Also, with it being winter, we are really deficient in this important vitamin at this time of year. I read it is good for preventing cancer, controlling diabetes, getting rid of visceral fat even, among other things -- of course one of those is strong bones and teeth!!
chewy

Post by chewy »

have any of you read dr. joel fuhrman's new book "the end of diabetes"? GREAT book!!
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

Thanks, I bought the vit. D but haven't remembered to take it, does it help the memory too? :))
The last few days I have been wanting to snack all the time!! I start out fine in the morning but want to snack all night, the worst time to eat. I wonder if it's the Lantus insulin? or just watching too much TV? I fill my pillbox in the morning and I will put the Vit. D in it.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Hey, I looked up if Vit. D was good for memory and here is what I found, "Increasing levels of vitamin D can treat, prevent, and even reverse a remarkable number of daily ailments, from high blood pressure to back pain. It can lessen the symptoms of chronic conditions such as diabetes and arthritis, and actually prevent infectious diseases, including H1N1 and cancer. Dr. Holick also credits vitamin D with improving infertility, weight control, memory and mood.”

Ask and you shall receive!! :))
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I found an article in the Diabetes magazine, it said 1 cup of beans daily was better than whole grains daily. It was based on a study of diabetics. One group ate no beans, and the other group ate no whole grains. The bean eaters had lower glucose levels and didn't spike as high after eating. The grain eaters had spikes, then drops in blood sugar which cause increased hunger. The article was called Beans, Beans, the Healthier Food. I see the diabetic educator today and weigh in, I'm afraid my weight will be up because of the meds I have taken for the Bronchitis. Chat with you later.
PS Made my appt. but lost my Glucometer somewhere and couldn't download my blood sugars. I lost 4 lbs.
She said my menus were OK but I need to eat less fruit and more veggies. I told her my soups and entrees have a lot of veggies in them. Next appt. in March after getting labs in Feb. My menu is going fine, spread it out over the day so I had a little food frequently. Tomorrow my DH & I are celebrating our 9th anniversary, going to a matinee and out to dinner after. Our anniversary is 1/19 and we will go to church together. We can't celebrate on Sunday cuz there are football games to watch.
1/18/13
My blood sugar was 125 this morning, and that was after having frozen grapes for a snack last night and I also forgot to take my Lantus insulin. Maybe there is hope of not needing it in the future!! Of course there will be daily fluctuation, but I will continue to lose weight by eating healthy and exercising and may be I will continue to improve my control of this potentially deadly disease.
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I quit taking the Tradgenta, the co-pay for 30 day supply was $110.00. That was a couple of months ago and I started on a long lasting insulin at bedtime (Lantus). Since then my blood sugar is running between 98-110 before meals. It went up when I had a bladder infection and last night when I ate something that disagreed with my intestinal tract, lots of trips to the bathroom. :ymsick: But this morning it was 108 and I'm happy with that. I think when my body gets used to having a lower sugar level, I won't get those hunger attacks. I am suffering this morning because I ate a piece of gum, which makes the salivary secretions flow in the mouth and increases the acid in the stomach because it thinks it's getting ready to digest something!! I usually chew gum only after a meal and then just occasionally. One thing I have learned is that I don't always have to eat the minute I feel hungry or when something looks good to me. After all I can enjoy a good looking man and don't have to act upon it!! =)) So I refuse to be controled by smell, appearances and desire for food. If I drink some water and wait a little the urges decrease. Hunger is uncomfortable but it won't kill you in a few hours and I probably have enough stored to last a month!! ;) Anyway I have another appt. with the diabetic educator next week and I'm sure she will be happy with my progress. I just encourage Diabetics to hang in there, the diabetes gets better with weight loss and the blood pressure goes down too. Obesity is a chronic disease process and you can be successful in managing it. Keep on doing LDL and a journal helps because you can see trends and trigger foods. "I feel good" like James Brown!!
Last edited by omalani on March 14th, 2013, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Great things are happening, Oma! Congratulations on the insights.
Pam
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Omalani, you are doing great!! I love your attitude too. I am realizing some things about beans and soup that are both really helpful for weightloss. I have been having trouble getting down to my favorite weight, but I haven't been eating my bean soup so much as I used to. It really makes a difference. I can basically eat only LDL friendly foods, but if I eliminate my bean soup, the weight loss isn't as steady and easy. I think my daily walk is another important component. I recently heard that there is something about eating soup that leaves you feeling satisfied. Satisfied and full are not the same thing. We need to feel satisfied too. You can get full on a wheel barrow full of celery, but would you be satisfied?? (-| What affects your blood sugar is so related to what causes weight gain and even non diabetics can learn so much from understanding what things affect blood sugar. I know that caring for my 86 yr. old mom's diabetes has really helped me understand what is healthy for me to eat too.
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I had my appointment with the Diabetes Educator today and since 1/19/13, I have lost 10 lbs, 2 1/2 inches off my waist and dropped 1 dress size. She was very pleased with my progress and said to keep on doing what I am doing. God has blessed me so much, and I find when I start my day with my Bible study, I make better choices all day. I am also happy to give the glory to God, because on my own, I didn't do very well. I told her my goal is to cut down on some of the medicine I'm taking. So Diabetics listen to your body. When you crave sugar, eat fruit. When you get hungry for bread, eat beans and enjoy all the wonderful recipes we have on the boards. You can enjoy food, it is not the enemy. Just eat all the wonderful foods God created.
Thankful and happy, Omalani
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Omalani congrats on such a wonderful report! :D I'm so happy for you!

Blessed and Loved,
LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by crickadoodle »

Omalani -- great report!! All of us can take your advice, diabetic or not!! :) God's blessing is definitely on your efforts.
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Oma- What a wonderful report. You are not doing the traditional "diabetic diet" but getting those wonderful results. Is it possible that they should change their approach??? Keep up the good work, and you will reduce your medications.
Pam
jencita
Master Member

Post by jencita »

That is so wonderful Omalani! This is a grand WOE! :ymapplause:
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Love the picture Jacqie....LP
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Great picture, LP! It's also great to see you back here, Linda. I have missed you!
Pam
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Great picture, Little Princess!! My picture disappeared, I guess when everything changed over to the new format. I guess all the pictures in the gallery were lost or something, because I think Gwen did my picture for me and that was how she did it.
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

My blood sugars and blood pressure are going down with my weight. I am siging like James Brown, "I feel good nananananana" \M/ \:D/
Aloha,
Leilani

I know what I'm doing, says the Lord.
I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.
Jeremiah 29:11