type 2 diabetics

Post here about how your health has been improved since eating the LDL way!
myfavoritenurse

Re: type 2 diabetics

Post by myfavoritenurse »

Reading the posts on diabetes was so encouraging.  Iam a type 2 non-insulin dependent diabetic with hypertension.  On meds for both. (so is my hubby)  I look forward to being able to share equally wonderful results in the weeks and months ahead. God is sooo good. Amen
Matthew 28:20b  "lo, I am with you always even until the end of the age."
Yvette
New, but learning

Post by Yvette »

Hello everyone,
As I read these posts I am concerned about all the fruit but if I read correctly we just add soy which helps  book up three or more times and put it back every time I finally said what the heck and bought it.  The picture on the cover is amazing.  My friend Robert is the former Roger's size, Robert is a type II diabetic, neuropathy in his feet, on pills to manage his diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, 52 size pants.  I care and love this man he is the man I have asked God for.  He is 11 years older and I am concerned about us being together for a long time.  Our intimacy is hindered because of his tummy size all of that is secondary to our health.
I am over weight also I am a size 18 and want to be a size 10. I miss some of the activities I used do I have started sport kick boxing, I ride a motorcycle and want him to share some of these activities  I am convinced that both of use get started ASAP but I am concerned about the fruits because of Roberts’s diabetes.
I am taking before and after pix
Yvette--In Arizona
niki

Post by niki »

hi yvette.....you are REALLY in the right place....let's do lunch is FOR REAL.....it has changed my life and it can do the same for both of you....i've seen it do WONDERFUL things for diabetics....i suggest to all diabetics that they keep a journal documenting what they're eating and what their blood sugars are at different times and that they work closely with their drs to adjust whatever medication they take as their blood sugars lower....by monitoring their blood sugars carefully,they'll be able to see how they tolerate the fruit,trying different things.....i suggest to people that they consider adding soy in the am with the fruit or consider only eating fruit for the morning meal.....at this point in time,everyone says that they can eat all the fruit they want without having a problem.....BUT,everyone's different.....that's why i ask people to document their success on this topic site so that any diabetic reading these boards would be encouraged by their success........
  i was squeezing into whatever 16 pants i could find that fit and they had gotten REALLY tight on me...so i consider myself to have been an 18 in denial....now i fit into size 10 pants having lost 40 pounds....
  this can change both of your lives.....i sincerely hope you try it...once i'm on it for a few days,i lose the cravings and no willpower(for me)is necessary....ask any questions and voice every concern...we're here for each other and we'd like to help you guys get on track.....welcome to our boards............sincerely,niki

robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

Welcome aboard Yvette!! My hubby is also a type 2 diabetic only much in denial about needing to check his sugar levels frequently! He at this point refuses to go completely on LDL, But he is eating much healthier than in the past! We'll find out what his doc says if and when I can actually get him to go!
Please get your special guy to go to his doc and get his approval first! Then WATCH and see how well this works!
I myself was lucky to have never become a diabetic, but I'm sure I was well on my way. I was a 2-3x in size at 256#'s. NOW 8 weeks later I am an average of XL in tops and 1-2x in bottoms and 21 #'s lighter!!
Please come to the boards frequently with any/all questions and just to chit chat and get lots of moral support!
Welcome to the family!
Veronica
PS: Eat lots and lots of beans, peas and corn!!!!
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

Yvette,

I have also been diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic.  My sugar levels were high.  My triglycerides were high, my LDL levels were high (bad), my HDL levels were low (happy/good), my total cholesterol levels were high.  My blood pressure was high.  My thyroid levels were low.  My potassium levels were high at one time.  The only thing that was good at my last check-up was...my mammogram.  (Thank God that was good!)

I decided that I would start LDL and knew very little about it, except what I could gleen from the message boards.  We started it on a "trial" basis the first few days of vacation.  We noticed that right away we both began to feel so much better.  Then during the rest of our vacation, we were not able to follow LDL very closely.  But we were determined to follow it when we got home.  And we have.

In two months, my triglycerides were lowered by about 1/2.  My LDL was lowered.  My HDL was raised.  My total cholesterol was lowered.  My potassium levels were lowered.  (You may read my post on the medical success stories "Cholesterol/triglycerides".  I have also lowered my blood sugars.  They are not level as yet, but the numbers are certainly coming down.

I know that I cannot eat bananas very often as they do SPIKE your blood sugar.  I do eat grapes, (NO oranges or orange juice yet), and all other fruit.  I went through a time when I had fruit for breakfast and also eggs.  Then I was able to tone the eggs (2) down to only one...and now I only eat them once in a while.

I am taking Metformin (Glucophage) for the sugar problem.  But I have also lost 30 pounds since October 1st.  That has helped I am sure.  I have lost alot of my stomach fat...and that helps!

Have your husband start this.  He should be okay.  My doctor didn't want to listen to what I was on, but he was impressed with the numbers and the weight loss.  He released me from monthly visits to three (3) months.  He simply said he would like to see me lose another 10 pounds.  With LDL that should not be a problem.  As a matter of fact, I have already lost 3 and have until the end of January. 

Do you know the symptoms of high sugar?  If not, ask on these boards and let some of us answer that.  I do believe that as you start this, and pursue it that those levels will all drop for your husband too.

God bless!

Jeanne 
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
niki

Post by niki »

hi everyone...something i was not aware of until a minute ago is that they use a conversion method to approximate hgba1c from the blood sugar level and visa versa...THIS might be what they do in canada..check this link that linda sent me.....http://www.geocities.com/diabeteschart/ ... chart.html ..............................niki
robert42

Post by robert42 »

My name is Robert and I'm a type-2 diabetic.  My blood sugar was over 400-500 several times before I was diagnosed (found a test kit for $10 as I was seeing some symptoms).  I was on Glyburide for about a month (during which time I got my A1C down to about 8.5 down from 10).  I found an A1C test kit online and on only some moderate walking and changes in eating coupled with some supplementation (fiber, cinnamon, vanadyl sulfate, "Blood Sugar Defense" are what I consider the core of my supplementation) I got down to A1C below 6 (at this point off all meds) before my test kit gave out.  I'm sure it's up a little due to some abuses over the holidays but I hope when I get my new kit it will still be under 7 or close.

I'm about to start this plan as I need to lose some weight and my carb cravings (even on the restrictions above) can get out of control sometimes especially for starchy carbs which I seem to tolerate better than sweet carbs anyway.  I really don't have cravings for sugar very often and can indulge on occasion w/out going overboard...i'm lucky that way but don't put a bag of potato chips in front of me if you want some...

This plan seems to offer what I need:
1. A jumpstart on the weightloss
2. A way to manage the starchy-carb cravings as well as allowing me not to starve.
3. A way to give God the glory for my success in more ways than the obvious
4. A good support system that doesn't seem to be about "making money"

I should be getting my new A1C test kit this week and when I start the program I'm going to document my progress and success including glucose readings and A1C as well as my progress on the starchy carbs.  I will update this thread as progress is made so that hopefully others in a similar situation can possibly benefit from my success.
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

Robert,

This is the place to be.  This is the ideal plan for reducing your Ag1C readings...as well as blood glucose, and cholesterol readings.  I have posted my results on one of the message boards in this category as well from only one month on LDL.  It was great!

WELCOME to LDL.  Please do document your readings and results.  Be sure you post them for other newcomers to see.  It is really amazing what God has given us through Roger and LDL!  What a blessing!

Let us know if we can help you.

Jeanne
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
robert42

Post by robert42 »

After my first day I found that although I did spike over 200 briefly after breakfast fruits, the rest of the day dropped down rather quickly to around 90.  This is without drugs (but I am taking cinnamon and a couple of other supplements that seem to help).  As stated previously, my A1C got down to 6 after I weened myself off of the drug they were giving me (that was the WRONG drug as it only caused my pancreas to create more insulin but didn't help with the resistance). 

On day 2 I don't think I broke 130.

FWIW, I usually test first thing in the morning, sometimes before and usually between 1.5-2 hours after the start of a meal and usually at least 1 hour from the end of the meal.  I don't always test but if the meal was "bad" I try to check so I know if I need to drink a lot of water and if I forgot to take my supplements (which help).  If I get a bad reading, unless it's a rediculously bad reading that I think may be wrong I retest immediately, otherwise I try again in an hour or so.  I try to be under 170 post-pranial and I hope to see 100-120 or less in the mornings (fasting).  my cousin (doctor) said he'd kill for fasting numbers for his patients under 150, so I guess I wasn't doing as bad as I thought.

I just got my new A1C test kit (it's only good for 10 tests) and as I suspected, after the holidays I did manage to get back to 6.8 (was down to 6) but considering the amount of carbs that I cheated on while traveling....i'll take that as a good starting point.  Now if I can get back under 6 in a month using LDL and eating all of this fruit, that will be the real verification.  I know my doctor will probably be surprised when I tell him how much fruit I'm eating (assuming this is successful which again so far...)

BTW, for other diabetics that like to keep tabs on progress, I highly recommend this test kit.  it's A1C Now by Metrika.  (If you are interested, I can send you to the site that I used but there are others that may sell it).  The bad news is it costs around $115 and is only good for 10 tests, but the good news is it allows you to watch your A1C trend.  I know they say you should only check every 3 months, but if you want to know if what you are doing is making a difference, taking it every 2 weeks or every month can give you peace of mind.

If you are worried about LDL affecting your A1C it could be worth the investment.  I suspect there is nothing to worry about based on the above...
niki

Post by niki »

hi robert...in the hospital,we do accuchecks before every meal and before sleep...but when we used to do postprandials,we used to do them 2 hours after the patient was done eating...did someone instruct you to do them differently?...
  you sound like someone who really takes their diabetes seriously and so for me you are more the exception than the rule as far as my experiences go...once you've been on let's do lunch for a while,you're going to be REALLY pleased....
  one thing i'm always interested in knowing is wether diabetics on let's do lunch are able to eat all the fruit they want and wether they metabolize the fruit differently with the addition of some protein like soy(soynuts or soy or soymilk in the smoothie).....wether they can eat fruit at dinnertime or wether they do better having soup and salad.........
  i'm so encouraged by the results i've seen with the diabetics on let's do lunch...and i'm very encouraged by your own success.....keep up the good work.....sincerely,niki           
Last edited by niki on January 17th, 2007, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robert42

Post by robert42 »

I don't remember if my doctor said after the start of the meal or not but I either read that somewhere or my doctor told me that.  I'm not strict about it, if 1.5 hours after the start of the meal or 2 hours after eating my glucose is under 150 (or even 170 per my doctor) then I'm not very concerned.

Usually with the insulin resistance, it's not coming down quickly unless you drink a lot of water or take something that helps (drugs, supplements, or something) so I figure if it's good when measuring from the start of the meal then I'm not too concerned about the 15-20 minutes later anyway.  the levels spike before that time anyway (or are supposed to anyway)
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

I believe that my doctor told me also that two hours after a meal your sugar level is supposed to be back to normal.  Sometimes I wait until just before lunch before testing to see what that number is.

Jeanne
niki

Post by niki »

2-3 hours after eating,your blood sugars should be back to normal...years ago,we used to do postprandials when a dr didn't want to wait to get a fasting blood sugar in the morning....now,they use postprandials as a tool to check the way your body is metabolizing the food you're eating....i just read that an hour after a nondiabetic has started eating,their blood sugar can be as high as 140..it's actually a measure of the effect on your bloodstream of what you're starting your meal with...so that's why you're doing it timed from the time you start eating...these results will then vary based on what type of meal you're talking about....
  so you are doing this just as you should,robert.....and i already read that you ARE aware that those results are expected to be higher than a blood sugar taken 2 hours(or 2-3)after the completion of a meal..........
  i look forward to your progress reports........sincerely,niki
jerio

Post by jerio »

This is my first time to post..I came here because Im told that I am a type 2 diabetic, I have no experience with it yet, but I do hope that I can make enough changes to turn this thing around.
The Dr. had put me on several cholesteral lowering drugs but I find that I feel so ill when I take them that I just can't make myself continue....thanks to all of you nice people for sharing such important information about diabetes..I feel like my best
and only chance to get any better will be with this program..
Thanks also for being encouraging and helpful to each other, that is really nice to see.          AnnieB
niki

Post by niki »

hi annie.....you are in the right place....you're a newly diagnosed diabetic......your doctor is going to put you on medication?...or is he going to give you the chance to control it with diet?.....either way,once you start let's do lunch,you'll want to be in close contact with your doctor as you see your blood sugars go down......
  this program is particularly good for diabetics because the reason it gets rid of cravings is because eating this way stabilizes your blood sugars...so you feel better,you're not a slave to garbage food,you lose weight AND you control your diabetes....
  i won't repeat a lot of the stuff i tell diabetics here,since i know you're reading this topic.....go through all the posts to get all the info you can.....
  this wonderful program of eating has changed my life and can do the same for you.......i wish you success...sincerely,niki
robert42

Post by robert42 »

I kept a rather detailed log today.  Keep in mind I'm not currently using medication but managing with diet and some supplementation.  My point for posting this is to show that I am able to successfully eat on this plan but I also keep very close watch and monitor my blood sugar 3-5 times a day (first thing in the morning, 2 hours after meals, especially when I'm concerned about what I ate, etc).

Fasting Glucose: 125
9:30 glucose: 150 (this was not 2 hours after breakfast yet and I hadn't taken my supplements this morning.  I took cinnamon and my blood sugar defense supplements after this.)

3:00: 105 (2 hours after lunch)
4:30 glucose: 112 – had an apple juice as I was feeling a little weak and starting to get a headache again.
4:50 (after apple juice): 132  - ate an apple and a banana as I was feeling hungry
5:30: 161
6:30 (before dinner): 128
8:00 (about 1 hour after dinner): 170
8:45: 164 (took my cinnamon supplement at this time)
9:30: 158 (took vanadyl sulfate supplement, had a bag of popcorn after this as well)
10:53: 137

This is what I ate today:
Around 8am I had a large (~32 oz) fruit smoothie consisting of banana, apple juice, O.J., oranges, strawberries, blueberries, grapes, and carrot juice.
I followed this with a small amount of LDL "chorizo sausage" mixed with refried beans and an egg over easy.  I also had the LDL "potato pancakes".  This *really* seemed to really hit the spot this morning.

I had some falafel before lunch as I knew this would be a tempation at lunch.  I wasn't tempted.  I had a chicken plate with "salad".  This is a Glatt Kosher pita place, the salad is mostly pickled veggies of various types.

As stated above, I had an apple juice, an apple and a banana in the afternoon plus some soy nuts.

Dinner consisted of another large fruit smoothie, the same as above, some strawberries and a tangerine + veggie chili (after which I added a mixture of ground sirloin and ground turkey breast to have for lunch tomorrow)

I also had a bag of popcorn to end the night.

The numbers above are not perfect but I think it demonstrates that you *can* be a diabetic and eat "all that fruit".  I highly recommend working this out with your doctor or nutritionist and monitor closely at least until you know how you will react.  I also highly recommend researching supplements that are available (again with your doctor involved).  Such items as cinnamon, fiber, vanadyl sulfate, gymnema sylvestrae to name a few I have found to be helpful and my doctor approved at least my core supplement that contains most of the items listed.
niki

Post by niki »

your numbers look really good,robert...when you drank the apple juice,did you realize that your blood sugar was not that low?.....because especially as a diabetic,you're always better off eating the whole fruit rather than drinking juice.............it's great(by the way)to see that you're able to eat all that fruit with NO problem... 
  what kind of glucometer do you use?.....i'll be glad when you have the security of let's do lunch of knowing your blood sugars are down and stable so that you can cut down on the number of times you test your blood sugars....maybe you have the one that uses very little blood(the one that b.b.king advertises)......
  AND your bean quotient is EXCELLENT...keep up the good work...niki 
robert42

Post by robert42 »

Yeah, I know it wasn't low, but I FELT weak and was getting a headache.  Since the headache was almost definitely not caffeine related, I figured it was sugar that my body was craving and I forgot I had the fruit.

I use the Freestyle.  I don't usually test this many times, I was just curious to see both if the supplements might still be necessary and how various things affected me throughout the day.  Like I said I usually test 3-5 times unless there's a problem test...

I like the beans but with the exception of the Old El Paso refried (spicy), they're a pain to prepare...that's the thing I've gotta get used to is all the prep-work...
jerio

Post by jerio »

Thanks to you Niki...I sure agree that this is the place to be..
I've been reading all the info and Im so impressed with the
good changes that seem to happen with LDL..
I can tell that you and the other folks do have a lot of experience with this program, and I really appreciate everything that you
share...God bless you for being so helpful..after only 4 days I can tell a difference in the way I feel..Im waiting for my glucose test stuff to come in the mail, so I will keep my bloodsugar tested and hopefully be seeing a difference before I go back to the Dr. next time......I can't believe that all this fruit and beans is not giving me any problems...wow..who would have dreamed that..