type 2 diabetics

Post here about how your health has been improved since eating the LDL way!
robnveronica
Master Member

Re: type 2 diabetics

Post by robnveronica »

jerio... it is pretty amazing how this plan works! I know I can't believe it! I'm not diabetic but was probably on my way as even when I was preg my fasting sugars were 100 so they told me I was borderline! (Kaiser wants all sugars to be less than 90 when fasting or they consider you borderline.) No Idea what they are now...(Hubby is diabetic but won't test his levels and won't eat properly either but that's a whole other story!!)

Good luck to you on this plan!

Veronica
niki

Post by niki »

robnveronica wrote:it is pretty amazing how this plan works!

me three...i agree...it is pretty amazing...........niki

robert42

Post by robert42 »

This morning my fasting glucose was 106.  I don't think I've ever seen a 106 and I couldn't stop eating last night.  Had a fruit smoothie, a nectarine, some strawberries, i think a grapefruit, and a bit bow of pizza soup (minus meat).  then 2 bowls of hot-air popcorn and some frozen grapes.  the last two nights i've not been so much hungry as craving some kind of snacks so i'm hitting the popcorn hard.

I did find my primary supplement for glucose that i've been taking contains some maltodextrin.  i doubt it's much but i wanted to see how i'd do without it this morning.  less than 2 hours after the smoothie and a nectarine I registered a 138.  These are big smoothies.  I'll probably keep to the cinnamon and maybe the vanadyl sulfate for not (didn't take those this morning either) but i'll have to play it by ear.

next step i need to get walking or biking again as i know my bp is still a little high. 
robert42

Post by robert42 »

ok, no supplements all day.
Here were my readings:
9:45 106 (fasting)
large smoothie and nectarine
11:20 138 (probably 1.5 hours after smoothie but only 15-30 mins after nectarine)
Lunch was very large.  had eggs, turkey bacon, refried beans, curried chick-peas (didn't work right so I tried make falafel out of them) and full bowl of pizza soup with meat.  After this meal I think this was the first time I was really FULL full.
4:00 99
5:30ish Dinner was 2 LARGE smoothies (couldn't get enough fruit for some reason), some strawberries and blueberries, some eggplant chips (these didn't turn out too well) and a salad with salsa.
7:00 142
Still wanted more fruit so I ate a bag of cherries
7:45 230 (not sure if this was a bad reading?)
8:00 140 (took this twice on 2 fingers including the one that read 230 before)

I'm not sure what any of this means.  If the 230 was legit, it was also less than 30 minutes from finishing the cherries but 15 minutes later it was 140.  i didn't drink any water in that time-frame.

again, i'm not sure what this means, but without the supplements today my post-prandial (2 hours after) seemed to be pretty good (less than 150) and I even got down to 99

My hunger was weird today (or maybe the last few days it was really weak and today it was normal?) but I feel mostly good.  I'll be taking my A1C again either tomorrow or Tuesday to make sure that it is close to the same.  I won't panic if it has gone up a little but will try again next week to make sure it's not a trend and that it's staying in the same range or trending down.
niki

Post by niki »

hi robert..these numbers are all fine....you didn't wait long enough after eating the cherries...to my knowledge,a postprandial is supposed to be 2 hours after the beginning of a meal so i think you would do better to wait the full 2 hours after you start eating.....do me a favor...pick one day and do the postprandials exactly 2 hours after the start of a meal and let me know what they are............. 
  i see that you really are craving fruit.....nothing wrong with that.....but say,you MIGHT be better off eating salad and a bowl of bean soup at dinner...maybe if you had had that,you might not have wanted to eat cherries not that long after you had smoothies and fruit for dinner....you in particular would do well not to snack too much on fruit...it plays with your blood sugars too much.....BUT i advise everyone to be careful not to snack all day on fruit...when you do that,you don't give your blood sugars a chance to stabilize........i actually advise people to snack on fruit only if they really feel they need to....otherwise restrict yourself to a fruit meal in the morning and maybe at dinner....of course,this is stuff that is meant to be done once the cravings are gone...
  i'm very impressed with the care you take..i wish all diabetics were as meticulous....niki       
Last edited by niki on January 21st, 2007, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robert42

Post by robert42 »

i know it's supposed to be 2 hours, but if it's low at 1 hour then i'm not worried (especially if i'm concerned about what i ate).  plus i like to see the trends....

this is week one anyway so as far as the fruit, i'm just happy my body is handling it well, i'll have to fine tune once the cravings are gone... :)
robert42

Post by robert42 »

FASTING GLUCOSE 99 this morning.  this has never happened since i've been monitoring (even on drugs)!
robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

YIPPEE!!!!!! SO happy for you Robert!!!!
niki

Post by niki »

well done,robert.....VERY well done 8) 8) 8)
veronica..print these pages out and put them under your husband's pillow...if he get's mad,tell him "niki told me to do it"..........in all the years i've been a nurse,i've seen a lot more male amputees than female(i apologize for saying that in advance..i don't want to offend anyone...but it's true).............niki
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Robert, this is fantastic!  I've been coming to this page for days just to read these posts. 

Wonderful!!!

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
robert42

Post by robert42 »

Another update...My Endo said I don't need to see her anymore (unless things change of course).  Still no meds and I haven't taken any of my glucose supplements in about a month.  I had a 95 fasting this morning and hasn't been over 105 for 2 weeks.  A1C is 6.5 on my current A1C meter (down from 6.8 when I started LDL).

Only thing weird, last night my glucose shot up for no apparent reason.  Perhaps it is a stress response (fight or flight?) but it was high (180 up from 95 before eating) about 1.5 hours after eating PIzza Soup although I did have a lot of Corn Thins which might have contributed to the spike.  30 minutes later it was up to 225 which didn't make any sense.  I should have been done digesting this meal by this time and should not have continued to spike.  It stayed up there for about an hour, then dropped drastically and quickly (141, 120, 85).  During this time I had water and I did take some Cinnamon which might have helped bring it back down but hasn't been necessary for a while.  going to have to keep an eye on this. 

Maybe it was anxiety about seeing the doctor today... :)  BP was ok (not great but she didn't want to start meds) and I got my walking papers...

Still need to have my blood tests to make sure that cholesterol is moving in the right direction (I was darn close already) and Triglycerides are down (again close).  Waiting for another month as I already had an appt scheduled anyway.
niki

Post by niki »

hey robert......a fasting blood sugar of 95 is spectacular......you're doing GREAT...as for that high blood sugar,stress or not feeling well could have a lot to do with it......a lot of diabetics when they're hospitalized have their blood sugars elevate as a response to the illness and the stress....try to wait to check your blood sugar the full 2 hours after you start....i know in this case it was higher,but it'll give you a better idea of where you stand if you check it at exactly the same time after...i wouldn't say it was the cornthins...they're really just like popcorn.....what did you start the meal off?...the postprandial done 2 hours from the time you start is very affected by what you start the meal off........
  you're really doing great,robert.....it's very impressive the way you're dealing with your diabetes, setting a GREAT example for diabetics here now and diabetics to come...keep up the good work...sincerely,niki
robert42

Post by robert42 »

popcorn can be weird for me.  I can have a whole bowl of popcorn and it doesn't affect me and I can have a little and it does.  perhaps it depends on how well  I ate the rest of the day or something.  or maybe I should still be taking the supplements (it's been over a month, however) but I'll just keep an eye on it...
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

The test I did just before lunch today was...105.  That is good for me.  Just had to share it.

Jeanne
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
niki

Post by niki »

jeanne.....JUST what i love to hear........keep up the good work......niki
robert42

Post by robert42 »

That's awesome, Jeanne!

I glad this thread existed because I needed to see others having the same problem to feel safe trying this.  Still have to "manage" it meaning I need to keep an eye on things, but seeing other diabetic successes really helped me to want to give it a shot...
niki

Post by niki »

hi robert...i looked for this post where you said your blood sugar was particularly high which was a couple of days ago and it was yesterday that you said you had a terrible craving for potatoes......i'm going to say that the two things are related....
  i'm going to compare us to rocks when we're on let's do lunch...when we really tow the line,we sink right to the bottom.....the appetite and cravings are DEAD....you start to compromise and you start to rise to the surface...while you're halfway up to the surface of the water and you continue to eat something you shouldn't,it's like the straw that broke the camel's back..you'll float right to the top....you'll have a full blown craving...
  it's a lot like sin,but i don't want to compare this to that,because THAT is SO much more serious...
  EVERY time you eat something you shouldn't,you throw your body off and i can see that a lot of people don't think that way.....but you SHOULD think that way....if you eat something you shouldn't have(EVEN a taste)you should STRICTLY eat only the allowable foods,stressing good ldl eating habits...everyone be VERY careful with even fat free dairy products..roger considers even them to be fattening and advises caution...and when you've eaten something you shouldn't,you should stick to ONLY the whole fruit for a period of time to REALLY be sure you're on track..............
  and now,i'll get off my soapbox again and go make some popcorn....................sincerely,niki
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

Robert,
  I am sure if you will journal what you eat, and journal your readings, you will the culprits.  I know that is what I did...and I can spot the trouble.  Sometimes we forget what we ate...and the journal keeps it fresh in our minds.  When I am bad...the results show up just ahead!
    God bless!
Jeanne
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
niki

Post by niki »

for you guys,as diabetics, a journal is really a great idea...i really do recommend keeping a journal when i do diabetic teaching with my patients.....just like you say,jeanne, it can really help you pinpoint what is working and what's not.....that along with the blood sugars gives you all the info to be good detectives.....keep up the good work, guys...not only for yourselves, but for the lives you impact with your excellent compliance................sincerely,niki   
Last edited by niki on February 15th, 2007, 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.