Looking for encouragement here

Post here about how your health has been improved since eating the LDL way!
linda7777

Looking for encouragement here

Post by linda7777 »

I have been reading these posts about diabetes, because my doctor called me in today about my sugar level.  She says it was ok after the 14 hour fast----but after 2 hours, it is still too high.
She is setting me up to see a nutritionist----I said I'll go, just so I wouldn't have to argue with her.
I showed her the LDL book and she said "NO----that's not the diet I want you on.  It has to be a diabetic diet".
I'm bummed.
Linda------to add to this ----I lost 34 lbs. according to her scale.  She was happy about that
Last edited by linda7777 on December 7th, 2006, 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
niki

Re: Looking for encouragement here

Post by niki »

go over with me how long you've been on let's do lunch and at what point the blood sugars were done.....ang went through this with hannah..she took her off ldl because a nutritionist told her that ldl was not good for insulin resistance and hannah gained weight in the short time she went off.....this is your call....you could do a few different things....you could tell the dr you would like to do let's do lunch for a while without going to a nutritionist and you can see how you do in a particular period of time....in that time,you can keep a journal of what you're eating and what your blood sugars are on let's do lunch so that you have something to show your dr.....you can then choose to eat fruit only for the morning meal and see how your blood sugars do on that...or you could add some soy to your morning meal and see what your blood sugars are with the 2 different meals....so far,all the diabetics on let's do lunch report that they have NO problem eating as much fruit as they want which demonstrates how detrimental the unhealthy carbs which we DON'T eat really are.....
  when ang went back to the nutritionist with the fact that hannah gained weight with the changes made by the nutritionist,the nutritionist was more willing to listen to what ang had to say......ang is having computer problems right now or she would be telling you this stuff first hand..........you can opt to go to the nutritionist and go off let's do lunch....what you'll see is that you'll start gaining weight(or definitely will stop losing)....
  this is totally your call......but i think that if you speak to your dr about this,you won't have a problem convincing him...it isn't as if you want to eat junk food or bacon and eggs every day........i believe that let's do lunch has a SPECIAL blessing for diabetics.....so consider your options and keep me posted..........sincerely,niki
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

Hi Linda,

I too was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes at the end of Sept.  On October 1st we started on LDL.  I am checking my sugar levels and journaling what I am eating.  I find that my sugar spikes come when I eat non LDL foods...ie: whole wheat bread, etc.

I have an appointment scheduled with a nutritionist on Monday.  I will listen to what she is going to tell me...and I will ponder it.  Then I will continue with LDL.

I know that my doctor did not give me the green light on LDL...but HE would not listen when I tried to tell him what I was doing.  His nurse seemed interested.  I decided that it was my body (the temple of God that God had given ME to take care of), and I knew that LDL had helped me to lose about 12 or 15 pounds when I was in there.

I am very careful NOT to have oranges or bananas as the DO spike your sugar levels.  Once in a great while I will eat a banana (frozen, as it tastes like frozen yogurt).  For Thanksgiving my Mom made a cranberry relish with ground up cranberries, 2 oranges, and 2 apples.  I sweetened it with Splenda for us.

I would say that if you keep checking your sugar levels and followin LDL that they will drop.  It will take a few weeks for them to come down.  Then only "cheating" seems to raise it.

You aren't on insulin are you?  They gave me a prescription for Metformin (Glucophage) and I think that has helped.

My last readings were good enough that he said perhaps the end of  January we could reduce some meds.  That would be a blessing!

Were your Cholesterol and Triglycerids levels high also?  Mine were and they went down/up according to what they were supposed to do.  I also have a sluggish thyroid which doesn't help in the least.

Did you do a Glucose Fasting test?  They gave me a menu which I HAD to eat for three (3) days.  I gained EIGHT, yes that's right...EIGHT (8) pounds in those three days by eating what they told me I had to eat!  I felt like a STUFFED HUMAN!  I never did ever eat like that in my entire life.  And I told them so!

So, if the dietician says that is what I have to eat, I will listen...and then go and do what I know works...LDL!!!

If you have questions like I did, I asked Niki...the bean queen.  She is one of the nurses on this board and she guided me when I first was told about the diabetes.  If she doesn't know, we can all try to find out for you.

God bless!  I think sometimes we have to stand up for what we feel in our hearts is right for us and our bodies.  We need to remember that God helps us...he uses the doctors to confirm things; BUT...ONLY...GOD...can...heal.  Sometimes our healing comes through things like LDL.

Jeanne
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
Lynne

Post by Lynne »

I too am a newly diagnosed type II diabetic.  I started LDL soon afterwards and when I went to my Dr. at the 3 month check up he was positively giddy with the results of my A1C (the test that measures your glucose control over time). My cholesterol levels dropped significantly as well.  He asked my what I was doing and I explained the program to him and he told me to keep it up.
My results may not be typical as I am just over the borderline with my glucose levels.  I have not noted any problems due to the increased fruit consumption.  My doc said that fruit was fine for me (much better than my previous intake of junk)
Not all physicians are receptive to new or other ideas than their own.  I too am a nurse so I am used to some physicians not listening.
The bottom line is it is your body, your disease process. You live there 24/7 and know what works for you and what does not.
linda7777

Post by linda7777 »

Thanks Jeanne and Lynne.
I think I'll listen to what the nutritionist has to say and continue LDL too.
My sugar level dosen't come down fast enough after a meal.  Like last night I checked it and it was (I live in Canada so the numbers are different)  7.9 my hubbys was 5.9 and that was 3 hours after supper.
anything under 7.0 is good.
if you are 7.0----you're considered a diabetic.  That's what they tell me.
I guess my bad cholesterol was a bit high too.
I go for another 2 hour glucose test in March and if it is still too high---then I have to go on medication.
I don't take anything now----for anything, except Tylenol or aspirin---once in awhile.

Blessings,
Linda
Last edited by linda7777 on December 8th, 2006, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

Linda,

My sugar levels don't drop fast enough either, but I think they are beginning to do that now.  I know that you need to do whatever you think is best for your body.  The only thing I can do is tell you what happens to mine.

When I went for the Glucose Tolerance test, my levels after fasting for 12 hours was 157...which is over 40 points higher than they were allowed to do the test...so they stopped the test.

Now my levels are from 120 to 135 generally.  So they have dropped quite a bit.  Just wanted to tell you what mine have done.  (I don't know the Canadian conversion formula or I would use them.)

See my post in Triglycerides/Cholesterol readings dropped on the message board.

God bless!

Jeanne
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
niki

Post by niki »

listen,all you guys,PLEASE document your diabetic successes...go on the topic "type 2 diabetes" on the medical success boards and give everyone a good picture of your diabetic history and what let's do lunch has done...actually, jeanne, i just looked and saw that you HAVE posted on this topic...thank you.....but lynne, and anyone else reading here who is a diabetic who has been helped by let's do lunch,please share what let's do lunch has done for you on the topic "type 2 diabetes".....i would like any diabetic who comes upon these boards to be able to click on this topic and have at their fingertips all the info they need to make a difference in the quality of their lives with let's do lunch....lower cholesterol levels for a diabetic on let's do lunch is another positive result from controlling this disease....and i always ask diabetics to compare their blood sugars after eating fruit and when they combine fruit with protein like eggs or soybeans.....you guys seem to be taking your blood sugars a couple of hours after eating...at work,i've always done them before meals and at hour of sleep....   
  jeanne,lynne......i totally agree with you about our knowing our own bodies.....that's why i tell people that we have to be our own doctors in that we know our bodies better than anyone and we often have to act as our own advocates with our doctor,ESPECIALLY in this age of managed health care where you often are NOT being treated by the same doctor for years...
  jeanne,i totally agree......God is the healer...that's why i felt that i had to do my part and apply myself to let's do lunch while i waited for a healing..AND part of the healing WAS let's do lunch.........
  so,i think all you guys are doing great...keep up the good work..i can't believe how popular it is becoming to see nutritionists.....arm yourselves with let's do lunch ladies and succeed..........niki
Last edited by niki on December 8th, 2006, 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.