LDL & Ulcerative colitis

Post here about how your health has been improved since eating the LDL way!
vleller

LDL & Ulcerative colitis

Post by vleller »

Hi,

I read the article in my First magazine and then went to the library to check out a copy of the book.  I've bought so many "diet" books thru the years, that I didn't want to buy another one just to fail at it too.  I've been lurking on the website and getting some hints on how to do LDL.  I've seen mention of Crohn's Disease but not for UC - they are similar diseases though - we do share many of the same side-effects from certain foods.  I'm a little leary of eating so many beans and fruit because of the gas and acid problems with the tummy.

I have taken the advice of re-reading the book often to get famliar with it.  I see something new each time too.  Whoever checked out this book before, underlined certain paragraphs.

Hoping to start soon and give it a try.

Lynn
Last edited by vleller on May 8th, 2009, 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lynn
patsyfay
Master Member

Re: LDL & Ulcerative colitis

Post by patsyfay »

Welcome to LDL, Lynn.  So many people with various and diverse problems have been helped by following LDL.  People with diabetes have lowered their numbers considerably.  People with Rheumatoid Arthritis have taken much stress off their joints.  People with sluggish metabolisms have reved them up with this WOE.  We have some medically knowledgable people on the site who can help you with your questions. If you ask some specific questions, they can address them specifically. Welcome and God bless you.  May your journey be successful!!

Pat
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

Life4Now

Post by Life4Now »

Welcome Lynn,
Like Pat said there is a lot of people on here to help. One thing about this Lifestyle (diet) is you can fine tune it to suit "your needs". At first you will have the problems will beans (?)....I did....til my body got use to having them. I always do better when I have beans and fruit. The fruit does help with sugar cravings and the beans help with hunger (plus the budget). I hope that you will give it a try........Karllita  *^_^*
If your doing 90%, why do you worry about the other 10%
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Pat and Karllita ane right.  Many people are finding that eating right the LDL way AND losing weight go hand-in-hand to relieve symtoms of a host of medical issues.  I believe this is because our bodies function better without the chemicals and impurities and the extra weight caused by eating processed foods.

Please get the new book from this website for the most up-to-date info on the plan, and share it with your doctors.  Listen to their advice about what you can eat with UC.  Foods don't affect everyone the same way, so you may find you can eat things that others can't.  If you find any LDL acceptable foods you cannot eat, just leave them out & enjoy the wealth of wonderful things you CAN eat on Let's Do Lunch!

Gwen
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
vleller

Post by vleller »

Thanks for the warm welcomes!  I've had UC for 20 years so I know most of my "trigger foods" and have learned what happens when I do mess up.  I actually know more about what I can/cannot eat with UC than my docs do for just the reason you mentioned.  Everyone is different.  I know sugar is horrible for me, but I am a sugar addict.  So the idea of eating all the fruit and replacing the sugar cravings definitely caught my attention. 

I did make a big pot of tomato & cannellini bean soup last night and it is yummy.  A HINT. . . .I always add epazote spice to my bean dishes  - it helps with the gas - and rinsed the beans before adding them to the pot this time.  I saw that hint on another thread. 

I started with the LDL plan this morning eating my fruit.  I've been praying and asking for help in trying to lose this weight and getting healthier.  I don't believe in coincidences, so LDL has to be my answer.

thanks again for your warm welcome,

Lynn
Lynn
thompson8674

Post by thompson8674 »

I too have UC.  I have had it for 15 years.  Just like you, I know my triggers better than my doctor.  I am really excited about LDL.  I think I can adapt this program to make it work for me and my UC. ;D  It was nice to search the message boards and find someone else doing the plan that has UC.  How are things going for you so far?  I just started today.  Had my fruit for lunch and just finished some pop corn.  My hubbie is meeting me for lunch and we are going to have fish.  I am doing a side salad instead of potatoe and yes my fish will be broiled!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wIp9owM/]
[img]
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Hi Lynn.

I sure hope LDL has a positive influence on your Ulcerative Colitis! From all the success stories I see here, with more added all the time, this looks like the right place to be.

I have a story about the epazote seasoning you mentioned.

My mother-in-law lives in San Francisco, and every year when we go see her, one of our favorite drives is down Hwy 1 on the coast. Love it. And I always hope for a chance to stop in the sleepy little town (bend in the road, really), of Pescadero. Just east of town is Phipps Bean Ranch, where they grow and sell every kind of bean known to man (gotta be a slice of heaven for LDLers!) Watching them rope and brand all those little beans is some sight!  *woot*

Anyway, a few years ago, as I was browsing through the bean bins, I saw a little plastic package labeled "Epazote de Comer." ..... Huh? ...... Never heard of it. But I like to try new things, so I added a package of it to my pile of beans.

Now you have to get a mental picture of the store at Phipps Bean Ranch. It looks like it started out as a chicken coop in the 1930s, and just got more and more added to it, a piece here and a room there, as the decades rolled on. The person working there looked like they hadn't changed hair style or clothing style since Woodstock. Their attitude, posture, facial expression, slightly vague look in the eyes --- EVERYthing just SCREAMED "stuck in the 60's!"

So as I'm getting ready to pay my total, I started thinking. Hmmmm. I wonder what this "epazote" stuff REALLY is. There's no ingredients label, no instructions for using or cooking -- nothing..... I wonder....... Is it good to smoke?...... Oooh, I have to get on an airplane in a couple of days!.... I wonder if the drug-sniffing dogs will pick up on this stuff???

Well, the drug dogs didn't go on red alert when I checked in, and I got home and used my "epazote," and it was really tasty! The next few times we went back to the Ranch, they never had the little packages of "epazote," so that made me REALLY wonder.

I never knew until now that there really IS a seasoning named "epazote," and it wasn't really, well........ you-know-what!

But whatever it is, it is good seasoning in savory beans!  ;)

Thanks for bringing up the memory!

Terri
Last edited by tprouty on May 20th, 2009, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

Try this address:

http://www.phippscountry.com/

Pat
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

That's the one!

Visiting in cyberspace can't be nearly as good as visiting in person, but I swear, they must have every bean grown on the planet available there! And other good things besides. They grow fresh, organic herbs, too.

Thanks for finding their web address, Pat!

Terri
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

I remember Two Hot Tamales* always using epazote in their traditional Mexican dishes when they used to cook on Food TV.  I looked it up on Wikipedia and it is a fascinating herb!  I've got to try it.  If it's as good at taking care of flatulence from eating beans as it says, then we've got a new product to star promoting here in Skinnytown.

I just watched the movie, "Tortilla Soup" starring Hector Elizondo, one of my fave actors.  The whole movie was a visial Mexican banquet.  Absolutely beautiful food and photography.  *Susan Fenegar and Mary Sue Millikin were the food stylists for the movie.  Go figure!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epazote
Last edited by Gwennaford on May 21st, 2009, 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

I haven't had a problem with gas since about the 5th day, does everyone's body get used to all of the beans and the gas goes away, or do people still have to take products like beano? I was just wondering if I was the only one that doesn't have that problem any more.

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

It's usually not that much of a problem once your body has dumped many of the toxins it has accumulated from eating processed foods.  Some foods may still have a noticable effect, depending on how they are cooked.
ImageImage
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

Thanks Gwen, I was just curious.  ;D

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
vleller

Post by vleller »

Sorry I'm just now getting back on this thread.  DH & I went down to Destin for a few days for some R&R before the after-school crowds hit.  Loved your mysterious herb story - I'd probably think the same thing.  Here's a website where I buy all my spices, http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/shophome.html.  Their catalogs are free and they suggest how to use the spices in cooking.  That's where I first heard about epazote.  I was just surfing on Penzeys looking for some sausage seasonings to use in the chicken sausage recipe here and found 3 possibilties. 

So far, the beans haven't bothered me too much - which is a good surprise! :thumbsup:  And the UC is staying quiet too.
Lynn
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

YAY!
ImageImage
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Hey Lynn!

Thanks for the tip on the site for herbs and spices. I love cyber-shopping, since there are a lot of things I can't get locally -- it sure is nice to have access to lots of choices and possibilities without driving for hours.

So glad the UC is behaving! Seems like when we get back to eating healthy, whole foods the way the Lord made them, lots of physical problems start to drop away with the pounds.

After the 1st week of LDL, I noticed my skin must be detoxing a lot of junk. I normally have good skin, but for about a week there, I had more blemishes than when I was a teenager! And in spots I don't normally have any!  :blink:  All better than normal now, for which I'm thankful. I'm looking forward to some more of the positive "side effects" of LDL I see listed here!

God bless,
Terri
vleller

Post by vleller »

Just an update on eating LDL and my uc - I've lost 40 lbs since May 11 - which is great!!  And,. . .

Blessedly, I haven’t had any problems with gas – and no, I never used Beano.  The epazote does the trick for me I guess.  Eating all the fruit totally removed my sweet cravings –this is a major feat for a chocoholic!  I can now go for walks and hikes without losing my breath and having to stop every few hundred feet.  My increase in energy is wonderful – I can participate in the family hikes now.  Also, I just had my bi-annual colonoscopy yesterday and I received a clean bill of health!!  The UC isn’t gone and never will be, but it’s totally in remission and under control!!!  My doctor was ecstatic with my results! *woot* *woot*

[glow=green,2,300]Lynn[/glow]
Lynn
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Lynn, fantastic news!  Please post it on the Medical Success Stories board.

We use the Morton's Sausage and Meatloaf Seasoning.  You can get it online, but I think you have to buy a case.  The ingredients are Salt, Sage, Black Pepper, Red Pepper, Coriander and Dextrose (it's okay because it's the 7th ingredient -- WAY down the list.)

Also you might want to do an advanced search for a post by ChrissyV about how they spice up their brats & other sausages in Germany!
ImageImage
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

That is awesome news!  A friend of ours was recently diagnosed with Crohn's and also I believe UC -- I think one is in the small intestines and the other in the large intestines  or maybe one was the colon??  Not sure, but I will pass this on to him.  His wife is starting doing LDL and he does it some too, because of that.  This might really help him more than we were thinking.  That would be so good.