Thyroid Cancer

Post here about how your health has been improved since eating the LDL way!
lose20by40
New, but learning

Thyroid Cancer

Post by lose20by40 »

Wow, I'm amazed at all the positive comments.  I've ordered the book so I'm trying to pick up as many tips  as I can in order to get started quickly.  Last year, I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer.  My thyroid was removed so I'm wondering if anyone  is aware of any additional difficulty in working off all the extra sugars from so much fruit.  I'm just trying to make sure I'm not sabotaging myself.  My doctor has basically given me the "you'll never lose weight unless you get used to starving" .  Any advice or comments on getting started would be appreciated.

Tina

lose20by40
electricj1316
Master Member

Re: Thyroid Cancer

Post by electricj1316 »

Hey Tina!! I'm Tina too!!! I had an ablation (where they give you radioactive iodine and it kills your thyroid) done on my thyroid about 10yrs ago. I have been on Synthroid ever since. I lost 5lbs my first week and my clothes continue to get smaller and smaller. I am living proof so far that ldl works even if you don't have a thyroid!

God bless,
Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Hi Tina & Tina  :laughing:

nikki will probably be along here in a bit.  But she lost all of her weight with a thyroid issue as well.  *HUGS*  It still works, just a bit slower.

(In Faith)  LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by niki »

LittlePrincess wrote:niki will probably be along here in a bit.  But she lost all of her weight with a thyroid issue as well.  *HUGS*  It still works, just a bit slower.

absolutely...........it just takes a little longer...but, it definitely can be done...........i lost 40 pounds in about 10 months....
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
lose20by40
New, but learning

Post by lose20by40 »

Thanks to all of you for the support.  Now, I really can't wait to get my copy of the book.  Hopefully, it will arrive this week.  Honestly, I thought that this was another low carb night mare but it sounds like there's hope.  If you all don't mind another question...do all of you have an exercise regimen? 
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

I like to work out 3 times a week with some cardio and a little free weights to try and tone up my fat arms. I started out 2 months ago working out 6 days a week and then after a couple of weeks my weight loss stopped completely. I realized I was working out too much and cause my muscles to burn instead of burning fat. When I went to 3 days a week and allowed my muscles to recuperate I started loosing again. I just got a wii fit yesterday and I already woke up sore!!  :laughing: All I did was hula hoop last night!! I was so out of breath! I didn't realize how much the wii fit could whip you into shape! I am going to do this every day! It was so fun, it wasn't like working out at all! My whole family was in the living room doing it, we were all competing to see who could get in first place! I highly recommend it!

Tina 
Tina

Jason
Mattie
lose20by40
New, but learning

Post by lose20by40 »

Thanks Tina.  I was looking at the Wii Fit today.  I was wondering if it lived up to the rumors.  Good info!  I'll let you know how things go.  Take care.
granny j

Post by granny j »

Anyone on Thyroid meds who has quit taking them?  I just stopped about two weeks ago and I'm trying to just take natural ones instead of the prescription.  I just wondered if this would help or hinder my weight loss?

By the way, I love my wii fit!

Janet
mom
Master Member

Post by mom »

hope you discussed with your doctor discontinuing your thyroid meds, it can play havoc with other areas of your health, not just weight loss.
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

Granny J,

I will never be able to go off of my thyroid meds no matter how my diet is. I don't have a functioning thyroid anymore and the thyroid hormones are very important to your body! Unless you went to the doctor and found out you didn't need your meds anymore I definitely wouldn't go off of them.

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
massageangel

Post by massageangel »

I have a friend who is a gynocologist and she always recommends other prescription medicines over synthroid.  She says there are much better ones than synthroid.  Perhaps you could check with your doctor for alternatives.
granny j

Post by granny j »

I was on Levoxyl and it was the lowest dose possible.  It was causing problems with my diabetes and you really shouldn't take it when you have diabetes, so I'm off it now and on something more natural.  I haven't had any problems, no weight gain, in fact, weight loss, but then I found this site, so that has helped. 

I'm a newbie, as you can see, and still waiting for my book to arrive, so thanks to all of you for all your help and recipes!
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

Maggageangel,

I see an endocrinologist for my thyroid problems and he said that when you don't have a thyroid Synthroid is the best hormone for you. It is the pure hormones that your thyroid makes naturally so he doesn't recommend using any generic versions of Synthroid or any other types of hormone pills when you don't have a thyroid. If you have a thyroid and just have hypothyroidism and need a little more hormones then others are fine. I have been on my Synthroid for 10 yrs and have not ever had any problems.

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
massageangel

Post by massageangel »

Tina,

That's really great that you haven't had any problems with Synthroid.  Being a gynocologist for 30 years, she's seen plenty of people who have.  I am so glad you are not one of them.

God bless.
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

Thanks Massageangel! It took a while to get my levels just right but now I can't even tell I'm on any medication unless I accidentally forget to take one and then I get a bad headache and regret it!  :laughing:

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Hi Tina,

I am so glad you posted. Welcome!
Funny, it never occurred to me to ask if anyone out there had Thyroid issues so THANK YOU*hug*

I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism in 1995 when a lump was discovered. By taking Synthroid, the lump is kept from growing and developing into something worse. But, my thyroid is shot. For a short time, I began seeing a doctor who practiced some alternative medicine. I tired the natural replacement and felt so much worse. It happenned over time and so it was difficult to attribute to the change in meds.  And until I changed back with a different doctor, I didn't know how badly I felt. So, now I just listen to my Endo and follow the rules. SO please be careful!

BTW, about that heartless phrase "you'll never lose weight unless you get used to starving" , I just attribute that to the fact that you can get a bad doctor just like you can get a bad mechanic. *grrr* I guess we at LDL will just have to prove him wrong. I lost 6 lbs the first week, just from the info on the web site and the good graces of this community.

Thanks to the rest of you guys for posting your experiences as well. I sometimes forget that I am challenged in that area and must be patient. When the weight loss slows I typically begin to blame myself, berate myself and then give up. 
NOT THIS TIME    
I have LDL and all of you!  *love*

Thanks also for the clue about exercising (alternate Tina). I will keep that in mind when I begin to get compulsive. I will also check the wii fit again. I had dismissed it in the past but may decide to try it based on your experience. Do you have a video of you doing the hula hoop?  :D Just kidding!

Love to all
Julie  :rose:
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

Julie, I threatened my 15yr old daughter and told her I would ground her if she videoed me with her phone!  :laughing: That is something no one needs to see!  :laughing: I did get her to video my husband and my 11yr old daughter because she looks like Mr. Bean dancing!! haha I love looking at those videos!! All the laughing burns calories!!  :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

Mary,

We all love Mr. Bean too!! We also have videos also! I have seen all the episodes and still laugh my head off even though I know what is going to happen! They used to show his show every Sat. night on tv but they took it off and put something else on that doesn't even compare! I was annoyed!

We are coming down to Fla. on 4th of July weekend to stay with my aunt and uncle and go to the beach but they live in Jacksonville, so you are way too far away! But it would be really cool to meet you and hang out! Too bad!!

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
Lori K
New, but learning

Post by Lori K »

Hi Tina,
My thyroid was removed 4 years ago. I have lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks and I feel so full of energy!! I am on Synthroid.
I can't say I will continue loosing like I did the first 2 weeks, but my cravings are gone. I was a chocoholic. I haven't had ANY nor do I even care about chocolate anymore! Give LDL a try. Good Luck.  :happy: