Question re: LDL and Cholesterol levels

Post here about how your health has been improved since eating the LDL way!
ArmyWife1125
New, but learning

Question re: LDL and Cholesterol levels

Post by ArmyWife1125 »

some people may not know this, but if you have a cholesterol problem you might.  cholesterol comes from the food that you eat as well as your genetic history (ie your relatives).  I know this because it runs high in my family no matter what we do.  My younger brother (when he was 17 or 18) actually had a cholesterol level of almost 400!  Mine runs about 280-350 usually, it's crazy how much it swings.  I was just wondering if there was anyone out there doing LDL that has a genetic problem with cholesterol that this way of eating is helping.  Since it's not just about the food you eat, I was just curious if anyone had the same problem.  Now, don't get me wrong, I used to eat my fair share of "wrong food", and I'm sure my previous diet is partially to blame. I was just curious if this diet has helped anyone else in the same situation.  Thanks so much!
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Re: Question re: LDL and Cholesterol levels

Post by MsHeirloom »

I think there is at least one post on this board about cholesterol going down on LDL.  I am very hopeful that mine will as well.  It was almost 300 when I had it checked before starting LDL, so I have a baseline for comparison.  Fingers crossed.  Pam
ArmyWife1125
New, but learning

Post by ArmyWife1125 »

good luck to you pam, I hope your health improves with LDL!  I have read the other posts about cholesterol, they were helpful...I was just curious if anyone else here had mainly a genetic problem.  My mom lost 75 lbs through diet and exercise and her cholesterol only went down by like 5 points or so.  I was just curious if LDL was going to be different. I'd prefer to not have to take a statin medication (I'm still childbearing age, we're planning on more kids and it's NOT GOOD for pregnancies).  thanks for the input!
Kristin
ready4achange

Post by ready4achange »

I too have genetically increased cholesterol.  I hope this helps.  On medicine, it went up 50 points! My triglycerides are through the roof too. It would be nice, to have this help :)
ImageImage
ArmyWife1125
New, but learning

Post by ArmyWife1125 »

Thanks Roger!  I must have missed that testimonial, even though I've read that red book like 3 times!!  :blush:  God Bless you for sharing this gift with so many people!

Kristin
mom
Master Member

Post by mom »

Because cholesterol is both food and genetic, you may get some decrease on ldl because you will eat less red meat, and because of the increase in fiber, but I caution anyone on cholesterol lowering meds, to consult with your primary care physician before you adjust your meds, as the only way to assess cholesterol and triglyceride levels is with blood tests, you can't feel when they are high, just like blood pressure and blood sugars.  You can't feel them when they are high specially if they go up gradually.  May God bless each one's success.
Eljayne
Master Member

Post by Eljayne »

My doc and I have argued for 10 years over the cholesterol theory. I always wonder when "they" come up with a number, how "they" came up with it. Like 8/8oz glasses of water a day, total cholesterol should be under 200. Except now they've changed it to 175. Don't eat butter - eat margarine. Well in 2006 my numbers were not good. Total cholesterol was 255; triglycerides 165; HDL 46; LDL176. I refused medication. Didn't get the lipid profile done again until March of 2009 and everything was worse. Cholesterol was 291; Triglycerides 178; HDL 50; LDL 205! :shock: OK, I guess I'll take the meds. Got my RX, took them for 10 days to determine if I was going to have any side effects. NONE. Then I discovered LDL (letsdolunch) :thumbsup: *woot*
Started LDL program May 26th. Have not taken any cholesterol lowering meds since May 28th. Got my lipid profile done again July 13th. Total cholesterol was 234/down 21 pts; Triglycerides 98/ down 80 pts; HDL 41/down 9 pts but I think thats supposed to be around 50 so maybe 41 isn't a good thing; LDL 173/down 32 pts!!!OMG I think this is wonderful. Input appreciated. It seems like I've seen commercials on TV for cheerios and oatmeal to reduce your total cholesterol by 15 pts in 6 weeks and you know they only report the very best numbers. LDL to the rescue once again - THANK YOU! *hug* :kiss: :rose: *woot* :rolleyes: Lynda
turkkm
Master Member

Post by turkkm »

Wow Lynda....I wouldn't advocate going off the meds without the doc's approval....but you sure are getting some great improvement in your cholesterol numbers since on LDL.  Yippee!  I hope it happens that way for me too.  I am having mine checked again on Sept. 1st and will post my results then.  In answer to your first question Army wife....it is a big problem in my family!  My dad has had cholesterol problems all his life even with diet change and he looks pretty fit and is not overweight.  He still has to take the meds.  It is so prevalent on my dad's side of the family that both his brothers died very young with heart disease and high cholesterol.  I had a cousin (on my dad's side of the family) who died at 40 years of age because there were no meds that would bring her cholesterol down.  I don't think she did much to lose weight or change eating habits though.  Its so sad to think that maybe something like LDL would have helped her.  Even if LDL does not keep you off the cholesterol meds, it may make it that you can take less and that would be good too.  We could come up with lots of cholesterol success stories, but you won't really know if it will work for you until you try it.  ....and then you will be shouting it from the rooftops! .....me too for that matter!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageFor we walk by faith, not by sight.
Eljayne
Master Member

Post by Eljayne »

Kathie, thanks. I think the numbers are pretty good. My problem with the "high cholesterol" theory comes from my belief that if we eat REAL food our bodies were created to take pretty good care of themselves. As babies we needed colostrum to get a good start. Cholesterol is what carries the antibodies throughout our system to keep us healthy. I believe that as we get older we need more cholesterol to carry the antibodies as we are more susceptible to bacteria and infection, etc. Triglycerides are another issue - that's actual fat globules in our blood and that number being over 50 is a red flag in my mind. AGAIN, just my opinion and I'm not a medical person. I have however done a bit of research on the issue because of my involvement with the sustainable farming movement over the past few years. Healthy soil, Healthy food, Healthy eating, Healthy living, Healthy bodies - again, my opinion. I was just so pleased to see the numbers go down now that I'm actually eating according to the LDL plan which is so in sync with my beliefs about food. Unfortunately I wasn't very good at practicing what I preached until NOW. That's it for my soapbox today - my doc has heard all of this several times, he just nods and orders lipid profiles to prove me wrong. My turn to prove him wrong! :shock: Lynda