Healthy French Onion Soup Recipe

All our yummy soup recipes!
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Found this recipe and thought it could be adapted.
Nice to see others are also making recipes healthier....and guess what? They are using LDL guidelines to make them healthier!

Posted on Jan 6th 2011 2:00PM by Tanya Zuckerbrot

A bowl of hot soup during the cold winter weather is just what the doctor ordered, especially when it features onions that are high in flavonoids and vitamin C, which are known to boost the immune system and fight off colds. Traditional recipes for French onion soup call for slow-cooking onions in butter, simmering them in beef broth and topping with a cheese-covered baguette.

The main sources of fat in this dish are butter and cheese, which tend to be high in saturated fat. In my rehab, I will swap the butter for the more heart-healthy monounsaturated fat found in olive oil. Since
there is not really a good substitution for the saturated fat in cheese that still tastes good, I will simply use a stronger flavored cheese in a smaller amount to maintain the taste but significantly reduce the fat content. Substituting a whole-grain baguette for the typical bread will increase the fiber content and further help toward a reduction in cholesterol levels. Though there is still some fat in this recipe, I was able to cut the saturated fat content in half and still maintain the flavor.

Ingredients
10 medium onions, thinly sliced
1 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
4-8 slices (about 3/4-inch thick) whole-wheat baguette
1/4 cup port wine or sherry
5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 ounces Gruyere cheese

1. Preheat oven to 450 F. In a large Dutch oven, add onions, oil, 1 tablespoon water, thyme and ground pepper. Cover and bake for 30 minutes until steamed. Uncover and continue to cook for another 60-90 minutes, stirring every 30 minutes or so, until the onions are golden brown and caramelized.

2. Toast baguette slices on a cookie sheet for about 7 minutes per side. Set aside for later.
    Not sure if corn thins would work as a substitute. Could try wasa Crisp.

3. Transfer onions to the stove and add wine. Scrape the bottom and sides of pan to release any browned parts. Continue to cook until mixture is slightly thickened.

4. Add broth. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, until the liquid has darkened.

5. Divide soup into ovenproof bowls, top with 1-2 slices baguette and sprinkle with cheese.

6. Place soup bowls under the broiler for 1-2 minutes, until the cheese has melted.

7. Serve immediately.

Serves: 4
Nutrition Content (per serving)
326 calories, 11 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 43 g carbohydrates, 15 g sugars, 7 g fiber, 17 g protein, 283 mg sodium
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Re: Healthy French Onion Soup Recipe

Post by Joyful Friend »

Thanks, Linda, for this recipe--easy and beautiful.  :D JF