Let's Do Lunch Community

See your doctor for approval before starting any new eating program.
The Key to Let's Do Lunch is to "Add a Little Something Fattening" to something nonfattening, to make it Taste Great! Read the New Red Book to find out how this is done!

Author believes we are put on this earth to have a chance to love The Lord. Other than that, we are here to help God bless as many other people as possible.

It is currently

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ribollita

I have a new favorite soup.  At least, this week it's my favorite!  Ribollita is a classic delicious and nutritious soup from Tuscany.  I made it last week and some more today.  Can't get enough of it!  This will make 6 or 8 huge and scrumptious servings.  Trust me....it doesn't taste of cabbage!  It's heavenly.

INGREDIENTS:
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
3 cups of diced onions*
3 cups of diced carrots*
3 cups of diced celery*
*You want them finely diced, so you can be lazy like I did this time and do it in the food processor.  I put in 1 huge vidalia onion, 4 peeled carrots, and 3 stalks of celery.  It doesn't matter if the quantities don't come out to 3 cups each.  Recipes can change every time, and it's still going to be good!!!
1 small head of Savoy Cabbage (the wrinkly type of cabbage!)chopped or shredded (around 4 cups)
8 cups of finely chopped "black cabbage" if you can find it (around 4 bunches), or if not, finely chopped kale or collard greens work just fine too
1 small can tomato paste
1 15-oz. can peeled plum tomatoes (diced or undiced...)
2 cloves garlic
6 cups fat-free chicken or vegetable broth
2 cans or 4-5 cups cooked cannellini beans
Fresh thyme and fresh rosemary if you have it, if not 2 tsp. dried mixed Italian herbs

1.  Heat the olive oil in a large heavy pot over medium high heat.  Add the diced onions, carrots & celery.  Stir to coat the vegetables, and let sautee, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes while they soften.  While this is cooking, puree 3 cups of the beans in a blender or food processor, adding a little water if necessary.  Put aside.

2.  Add the savoy cabbage.  Mix well and cook for 5 more minutes (uncovered)

3.  Stir in the tomato paste and the tomatoes....breaking them up if the plum tomatoes aren't diced.  Add the garlic--crushed or minced, and the herbs.  Cook for 5 more minutes (uncovered.)  Add the black cabbage or kale.  Mix well, and cook, covered, for 15 minutes.  

4.  Add the broth, stir well, and bring to a boil.  Add the pureed beans and the whole beans.  Bring to a boil again, stir, and reduce heat to low.  Gently simmer, uncovered, for around 30 minutes.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Yum, yum yum!  I'll post a picture of my soup on our Facebook page, as I'm not tecchie enough to do it here!

Last edited by marysimmons on , edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Ribollita

Thanks for posting the recipe, Mary.  It sounds great.  Too bad I just used up the last of  my cabbage today, making an LDL coleslaw.  I'll have to buy more, because I plan to make your recipe.  Sounds really good, as your recipes always are.  Jerrie :)

Looks yummy and it's 17 degrees here so we are doing lots of soup :thumbsup:

Blessings and Thanks,
Julie

Ohhh this does sound yummy
Will look for these fancy cabbages next time I hit the grocery store.
I would have to add the chopped mustard greens though, DH loves them.

the courage to change the one I can,
and the wisdom to know it's me."

"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed.

We're in, Little Mary!

Loveyamore,

Mom, Neets and me

Roger Troy, author of Let's do Lunch (amazing reviews at amazon.com, made The 700 Club's "Top Highlights of the Last 50 Years!", called an "International Sensation", a "Smash Hit" and the "Most Buzzed-about Weight-loss Book of the Year!" by FIRST Magazine (for women)

It's really yummy!  Linda, I would definitely use the chopped mustard greens instead of some of the cabbage if your hubby likes them.  I'll bet it would taste great.  Last time I made this, I just used curly kale instead of the savoy cabbage and black cabbage, as I couldn't find either of the other cabbages, and it tasted fabulous.  The recipe is so versatile that it's delicious with so many different combinations of ingredients.  My son Harrison is allergic to beans, so I made him a batch with butternut squash instead of the beans, and it also was tasty. The black cabbage is hard to find sometimes.  It looks like an overgrown cross between spinach and chard leaves rather than looking like a cabbage.  It's also called Tuscan cabbage, Tuscan Kale, black kale, or black nero or cavalo nero cabbage, if you see any of those names in the market.  Here's a link: http://www.specialtyproduce.com/index.php?item=9483. But any of those really good leafy greens work just fine with this recipe.  

Wow, I'm getting hungry again just thinking about it!  Is it lunchtime yet?! :laughing:

Little Mary

Last edited by marysimmons on , edited 1 time in total.

Bookmarked the recipe---sounds sooo delicious.    Thanks.  :thumbsup:  JF

Here ya go Mary!

the courage to change the one I can,
and the wisdom to know it's me."

"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed.

Mary,

Is Savoy Cabbage the same thing as Napa Cabbage (the oblong cabbage)?

Linda RN,

Your soup photo looks like it came right out of a soup cookbook.  Good photo.

Jerrie  :)

How yummy that looks! I'm a cabbage lover and will definitely try this!

SweetRose :rose:

JerrieH wrote:
Mary,

Is Savoy Cabbage the same thing as Napa Cabbage (the oblong cabbage)?

Linda RN,

Your soup photo looks like it came right out of a soup cookbook.  Good photo.

Jerrie  :)

Savoy cabbage is actually round and darker green, but I'm sure the Napa Cabbage would work just fine too! 

(The photo was taken with an iPhone.  You gotta LOVE those phones!)   

Thanks, Mary, I'll have to look for the savoy and if I can't find it, I will use the kind of cabbage they have.  Jerrie

Doubled this today and substituted pumpkin for the tomato paste (didn't have any and I thought it might be an ok sub if we added a bit more tomatoes).  It was very yummy.  I only have a little left.  I made this and the pumpkin black bean chili (with ground venison instead of chicken) for company today and the chili did go a bit quicker but I think it was because I couldn't remember the name of this and just called it "a vegetable soup"...the kids and dads shied away from trying it at first (more manly to eat the chili I suppose :rolleyes:). 

We cook for some folks that like to eat vegetarian dishes mostly and left a crock-pot full for them too.  I know they will love it!

Thanks again Little Mary!

Blessings,
Julie (still praying for Harrison and your family)

I had made this when Mary first posted the recipe and had a very hard time keeping my husband and sons out of the pot while it was cooking.

Yesterday, my husband decided to make it in the crock pot with the last package of venison stew meat. Of course, he wasn't able to use as much broth but it was so good! :thumbsup:

CQ

Those people I left the crock pot of this for request this soup ALL of the time.  They even wanted the recipe.  I always make it with pumpkin instead of tomato paste (staying away from canned tomato products) and chard instead of cabbage because they liked it so well the first time and that's how I made it.

Blessings and Thanks,
Julie

I needed something to bring to a home school Thanksgiving dinner...this sounds like it!!! Thanks! I will make it today for tomorrow...yummy! I think I will use the pumpkin and the kale...love kale! :)

Hope you liked it! I made mine this time with pumpkin (because I am using up the pumpkins I bought cheap after Halloween!) and kale. It's a yummy soup for sure. I just finished the last of the leftovers for lunch. Kale has such a huge nutritional boost....it's always good to eat your kale!

Mary

I had1 bowl left after the get together...rave reviews...!My dh ate 9 cups of it alone :-)

ZsaZsa wrote:
I had1 bowl left after the get together...rave reviews...!My dh ate 9 cups of it alone :-)

He ate NINE CUPS of soup?!?! :)) @-) :))

Thanks for bringing this back up. It 's really cold here for November. :) JF