katies bean soup

All our yummy soup recipes!
snowbirdie
Master Member

katies bean soup

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi All,
      Here is a wonderful recipe for white chile. My daughter Katie hates chili and she hates bean soup. Well this is her recipe and she loves it. Now she is catching on to beans.
                            White chili

1 large jar randalls white great northern beans-or your choice of white beans
4 boneless chicken breasts
1 stalk celery chopped(i am guessing as I don't usually measure)
1 medium onion
1 or 2 cloves garlic to your taste
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1 small can green chilies.

Saute celery onion and chicken till they brown add 1-2 quarts of water depending how much brothe you want available. Simmer till chicken is tender. Put all broth and chicken into the bean mix. I cook mine in the crock pot. Then I put lid on and simmer all day.  It is so good. Hope you enjoy.
                                                      Judie
JerrieH

Re: katies bean soup

Post by JerrieH »

Judie - Thanks for the recipe.  I love white chicken chili and want to try your recipe.  Can you tell me, you said your recipe calls for a large jar of great northern beans.  I have canned g.n. beans.  I don't know how many ounces are in a large jar.  Would two cans equal one jar?  Jerrie  :)
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi  I think it is 48 ounces. I went to look at the lable but my son mike had washed the jar and melted the lable.  When I want a lot I use that jar of beans and add two regular size cans,  But usually I use just that jar. If I can help you more let me know.
                                                  judie
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Thanks Judie.  I think my cans are approximately 15 ounces.  I googled Randall beans, by the jar, and one of the sites said they are 48 ounces, like you said you thought they were,  so I guess it is around three cans to one jar.  Jerrie  :)
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Made this chili today, Judie, and it was really good.  I wanted mine to be a little thicker, so I added some canned fat free refried beans to it.  I really liked it and it was filling.  Thanks for sharing your recipe.  Jerrie :)