Tuscan Minestrone

All our yummy soup recipes!
LMSP

Tuscan Minestrone

Post by LMSP »

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups soup )

Ingredients
2  teaspoons  olive oil
1  cup  chopped onion
2  teaspoons  chopped fresh oregano
4  garlic cloves, minced
3  cups  chopped yellow squash
3  cups  chopped zucchini
1  cup  chopped carrot
1  cup  fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)
4  cups  chopped tomato, divided
3  (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
1  (15.5-ounce) can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
1  (6-ounce) package fresh baby spinach
1  teaspoon  salt
1/2  teaspoon  freshly ground black pepper
Grated FF Parm (optional)
Coarsely ground black pepper
Preparation
Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until softened. Add oregano and garlic; sauté 1 minute. Stir in squash, zucchini, carrot, and corn; sauté 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat.

Place 3 cups tomato and 1 can broth in a blender; process until smooth. Add tomato mixture to pan; return pan to heat. Stir in remaining 1 cup tomato and remaining 2 cans broth; bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.

Add beans to pan; cook 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in spinach, salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Ladle soup into individual bowls; top with cheese (if you want to). Garnish with coarsely ground black pepper, if desired.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: Tuscan Minestrone

Post by LINDA RN »

Great Recipe, Lisa.
I may add chick peas also.
In my head they may take the place of pasta!
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
barrypaxton
Master Member

Post by barrypaxton »

Printed this recipe out. Look forward to trying it!!!

Ollie
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
LMSP

Post by LMSP »

I like the idea of chickpeas in place of pasta... I honestly never thought of that.... those would be good even w/spag sauce if I get a craving for pasta..... mmmmmm thanks!
barrypaxton
Master Member

Post by barrypaxton »

LMSP, have you ever heard of broccoli slaw? I get it at Wal-Mart. I use it in place of the pasta when I make spaghetti sauce and Harrison's Meatballs. Very delicious and you don't miss the pasta at all.

Ollie
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

LMSP
I use either raw cabbage cut in strips or I saute strips with garlic and onion and put the sauce over it.  I even sometimes melt a little cheese on top of sauce.  It is very yummy!
LMSP

Post by LMSP »

I've used spag squash before, but I am not a huge fan of cabbage.... but I actually bought a head the other day to make some kind of baked meat roll (like stuffed cabbage) but have not decided exactly what I want to do w/it yet.  Brocolli slaw -- I will have to look at that the next time I am at Walmart..
Thanks
mylifeforhim

Post by mylifeforhim »

LMSP wrote:I've used spag squash before, but I am not a huge fan of cabbage.... but I actually bought a head the other day to make some kind of baked meat roll (like stuffed cabbage) but have not decided exactly what I want to do w/it yet.  Brocolli slaw -- I will have to look at that the next time I am at Walmart..
Thanks

Unstuffed Cabbage is one of our favorite LDL recipes, you might want to try it.  Here is a link for VickiLynn's unstuffed cabbage:

http://boards.letsdolunch.com/boards/in ... pic=8422.0
“Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can.” ― John Wesley
The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you. From a dear Friend!
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I had been on LDL for over a year and heard everyone raving about unstuffed cabbage. I just never got around to making it until last month. What took me so long???? It was sooo good and so easy. I think what put me off was I did not want to use aluminum foil. I think I broke down and used it anyway. I really need to come up with something better. A shallow casserole dish with a lid would be great if I could find one. I would bet the unstuffed cabbage would do well in a crock pot. I may have to try that at work some time.
Last edited by LINDA RN on February 20th, 2011, 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

mylifeforhim

Post by mylifeforhim »

Linda, let me know how the crock pot works if you try it.  I stay away from aluminum too but used it for this recipe.  The covered dish is a good idea which I may try next time.  You are so right about all of the great LDL recipes.  There are so many that I can't wait to try.  One could never get bored with all of these tasty treats (and yes, I call LDL Foods tasty treats)!  I appreciate everyone taking the time to share what they do, use and try!  You are truly making a difference!  :thumbsup:
“Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can.” ― John Wesley
The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you. From a dear Friend!
LMSP

Post by LMSP »

I am going to try the unstuffed cabbage tonight -- and will let you know how I like it -- I did not think we could have the rice -- but may sub for that....
Thanks
I know it would need to be brown/black - I have some wild rice -and some brown.... sooo. I will let you know.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I made the unstuffed cabbage without rice. I had a partial bag of lentils I needed to use up, so I used them in place of the rice.
Linda

mylifeforhim

Post by mylifeforhim »

I never use rice but use pinto beans.  My DH loves it!
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

Thx LMSP for this yummy-sounding recipe! :thumbsup:

All I would change would be the portion sizes given. As you know, LDL recipes aren't portion-controlled. *evil*

With a recipe as great as this one, I think it would be less than 8 servings! :drool: ( For me anyway! :laughing:)

SweetRose :rose:
SweetRose
lrainbow2006

Post by lrainbow2006 »

Okay...just curious here...but why would you need to stay away from aluminum foil?  I must not have heard what's wrong with it.    Lisa

Started LDL  6/14/10
                  7/11/10  16# gone
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Lisa - Many people, including my husband and I, stay away from aluminum products because we have heard that there is supposed to be a link between aluminum and alzheimer's disease.  Apparently, some years ago when autopsys were done of a number of individuals that had alzheimers, it was found that there were unusually large amounts of aluminum deposits in their brains.  Therefore, many people stay away from aluminum products as much as they can, including aluminum pots and pans (we use stainless steel), aluminum foil, anti-perspirants (all contain aluminum, but deodorant doesn't ), aluminum soda cans, some baking powders (there are some, such as Rumford brand that does not contain aluminum), etc.  Some may have other reasons why they do not use aluminum, but I'm guessing most who don't use it, don't use it for the above reason.  Jerrie  :)
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Exactly Jerrie, aluminum is toxic and can be absorbed.
I have probably absorbed way to much over my lifetime of not knowing any better, so I avoid it now as much as possible.
Still trying to find an alternative to the antiperspirant though.
Used to really soak my clothes when I was young. Maybe I have killed all the sweat glands with the aluminum that I can use the deodorant now. But the one kind I tried from the Health Food store caused a painful knot in my right armpit. I stopped using it and it went away, and started using it again after several weeks and it came back. Stopped and started several more times to be sure that the deodorant was doing it, and it was so I tossed it. Need to try a different brand.
Linda

JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

LindaRN - Sorry to hear about the problem you had with the brand you used.  Once in a while I use regular antiperspirant, but the brand I usually use is a deodorant that I get at my local health food store.  I don't know what brand you used, but the one that I like is called Liquid Rock made by a company called Kiss My Face Corp. and it is a nice lavender scent in a roll-on bottle.  There is a sticker on the domed lid that says "naturally safe & effective".  I've been using it for years and I really like it.  I've tried a few other unscented sprays and solids from the health food store, but I like this one the best.  Seems to really work well and smells good.  (That company also has other scents.)  If you haven't tried that one, you might want to give it a try.  Jerrie  :)
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Thanks Jerrie, I tossed the one I had that was a solid. I am pretty sure it is not the one you suggested. I will look for that brand. I usually use baby powder scent, but I love lavendar also.
Linda

wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

It seems like there was a thread on this board a long time ago about this subject.  We told that instead of using deodorant to use apple type vinegar like Braggs.  It neutralizes works well and is safe.  If you sweat it will not smell like vinegar.